Become a Patron!

Safety precautions when building an RBA?

Davidl41

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Are there any safety precautions I should take when building an RBA. I have a 150 watt sigelei tc
I've been told:

not to touch the coil with tweezers when you fire up your mod.
Make sure to drip liquid on the cotton even if it is a tank
heat up the coil till it glows orange by firing up the mod with no cotton. (not sure what this does)
Make sure the wire does not touch the bottom.* If It does touch the bottom by accident what will happen, how do I prevent accidently doing this.

What else should I be concerned about? What are steps I should do to prevent damage to coils and mod and how do I know when something is off?

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Get a good, accurate Ohm Meter. Especially when you start building coils for TC mode. It will check your build's resistance and lets you know if there's a short in your build.
I highly recommend http://www.shop.usaohmmeters.com, it's worth every penny. I have the Ultimate Ohm Meter. However, I just saw the 3D Fire Meter. I might get one of those.

Davidl41

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It will check your build's resistance and lets you know if there's a short in your build.

Can you explain this. Im not sure what this means.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
A short for example could be caused when a coil is touching the deck or other parts of the RBA or RDA, besides electricity flowing from one pole through the coil to the other pole.
Resistance of a coil, measured in Ohm. Due to the resistance of the coil, heat is building up in the coil, thus evaporating the juice.

Make sure to drip liquid on the cotton even if it is a tank
- Priming your coils getting juice on the cotton inside of the coil. If you dont prime you coils when you fire your mod the coil will heat up (with no juice to evaporate) and burn the cotton.
Heat up the coil till it glows orange by firing up the mod with no cotton.
This will burn of any oils and junk on the coil. You can also get the coil to glow evenly getting hot spots out by pinching it with tweezers BUT ONLY WHEN THE MOD IS NOT FIRING unless you have ceramic tweezers
Make sure the wire does not touch the bottom.* If It does touch the bottom by accident what will happen, how do I prevent accidentally doing this?
If the coil/wire touches the deck or posts(negative/positive) it will cause a short.
I look at the coil and make sure no sides are touching the deck and by running needle around the coil to make sure i have clearance.
Invest in a ohm ready
What else should I be concerned about?
Building your coils at a Resistance(OHM) lower than you mod can read. The Sigelei 150 TC can read from 0.1 ohm-3.0 ohm.
Anything lower than 0.1 Ohm and your Segelei wont fire.

VU Sponsors