Become a Patron!

RTAs vs RDTAs

Yeh.zak1

Member For 3 Years
Hey guys,
I want to know how should i know whether to buy rta or rdta ? What makes them different ?-i know that rdtaS are like rda but with a tank,so what make me buy and rdta instead of an rta that's what i mean.
I am really confused about this and don't know should i buy avocado rdta or merlin mini or medusa reborn.
What do u guys think ? Any other suggestions ?
And for the record i already have serpent smm.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
RTA has the coils at the bottom and you use it like any other tank.
RDTA has the coils at the top and can be used as a RDA or as an RTA.
Witch is better...??..I have both and like both. I have the SMM witch is an RTA and the Limitless Plus that is an RDTA.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
What angry god said in terms of differences

In terms of venturing into both it's worth giving both a go to see what you like more, I personally like both a lot

I find RDTAs are a lot more forgiving when wicking them but they suffer with leaking leaving on the side and what not, also generally speaking a bit more messy when re filling depending on the design that is ....one of the pros of them is it's easier to inspect coils and determine when its time for a change/ re wick, more often than not you'll be using side airflows on them although there are a few bottom airflows about as well.

RTAs are fantastic I find most require a learning curve to wick them although when you have enough under your belt you can quickly figure out what it will need. Refilling is generally easier and don't really leak for the most part, they also tend to be able to hold more juice than RDTAs although again there are some with bigger tanks as well

Flavour and draw will seperate them and on this it's really down to you to decide what you prefer

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Do you like the serpent SMM?

Flavour wise RDTA

Bombertech Pindad (can bottom fill)

Cthulhu Gaia is ok (can bottom fill)

Medusa was ok not tried the reborn supposed to be better now plus can bottom fill)

Vaptio Turbo L (marmite tank needs big coils solid flavour orings needs to be tighter and proprietary drip tip ...still really like it myself )

Ijoy Combo 2 (refined version of the turbo best using 510 drip tip not the stock) 12 different decks to choose and use

Flavour wise RTA

Ijoy Exo just a banging tank one of the best out there period imo

Uwell D2 one of my favourite flavour tanks

Vandyvape Kylin (hit and miss on leaking issues great flavour)

Still love the original boreas (don't wick and refill this properly it's very unforgiving)

Freemax Fireluke RBA base (technically is a sub Ohm tank but the RBA base is fantastic might as well be an RTA)

Oumier White bone mini still a solid single coil RTA

MaxUT

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
One advantage an RDTA has over a bottom coil tank: it heats the juice less over the course of a tankful.
Maybe it's my imagination but it seems the last ml in an RTA has less flavor than when it was freshly filled.

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was pondering something similar..I was an avid tank user but wanted to see what the hype was all about with RDA's so I bought a couple..dripping every 1-3 hits got boring quickly and I ditched them for my trusty old tank..Anyways I did think the flavor is quite more intense with a rebuildable..So wondered if I should get a RDTA or RTA and get the best of both worlds.. I settled on a RTA which I will be buying next week. I figure it is a tank..aaand a rebuildable lol So I should get the blast of flavor that I liked with the juice capacity of a tank. The perfect hybrid so to speak..the RDTA is too RDA-ish for my liking. I might try one down the road but I chose the RTA route. Hopefully with no regrets! I've only been vaping about a year now so I'm still learning and experimenting. I hope you find something that works for you..Good Luck! ;)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just my personal preferences but an RDTA is to fiddly for cleaning and such to suit me. Can be a bit of a pain to fill. And more prone to leak a bit.
Rebuildable tank or squonk RDA for me.

then there is the tipping to wet the wicks thing which I gave up with top coil clearomizers.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm with Cromwell, the rdta's tend to leak a bit more than most rta's. I use all 3, rta, rda and rdta and enjoy them.

One of the bigger differences I see is for flavor. Not that rta's don't put out good flavor but the coil is at the bottom of the tank and depending on the height of the tank means the vapor is going to travel up the chimney to get to the drip tip. Rdta's are like rda's in that there's no chimney. Vapor comes right off the coils and directly out of the chamber so flavor can be a bit better.

My thoughts on the rdta design, it's basically a poor man's squonker. Instead of squeezing a juice bottle to fill the rda the juice is held under the deck and tipping to vape keeps the wicks wet. Sure they can be more prone to leaking if tipped over too long when they're full but the top pops right off like an rda for easy rewicking even when the tank portion is full. Pros and cons with any design. Not all rta's can have the wick replaced with the tank full, some can and some can't.

Not sure about other rdta's, I use an avocado clone. It still heats up the juice a fair amount, the long 510 pin going up through the tank portion on the bottom gets hot especially if chain vaping several hits. The glass under the deck gets wicked hot, like I don't wanna touch it hot. That's when running dual coils around 0.2 to 0.3 ohms and around 60w. Maybe it's the avocado or maybe because it's a clone but it does get hot and top of the mod gets warm.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
couple thoughts
1. be careful there are several tanks that are called RDTAs and not what you are talking about such as the aromamizer. it seems like an rta but wicks and assembles a little differently then most rtas. there is even a tank with the tank on the top and you pump it to squeeze juice onto the coils below

2. rdtas as you describe them and how most of us view an rdta are like everyone said sometimes harder to fill depending on your bottle since many are side fill or have some odd top fill. so your bottle top choice can make rdtas easier or harder to fill

3. if you like to leave your mod laying on its side you have to figure out if you can wick the rdta enough so it doesnt leak and still have great flavor. The ijoy limitless plus is a good one I use and i can wick it enough so it doesnt leak and has great flavor

4. I find the right coil and wicking makes a lot of difference. I use the limitless plus rdta, the griffin mini 25 rta and the griffin 22mm rta all 3 have equal flavor for me and better then anything else I have used.

harriszl

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have the vandyvape pyro rdta and really like it. The flavor is great and I have not really noticed any leaking issues, I lay my mod on its side quite often with no problems, can even turn it upside down for a bit with no issues. It has two posts that block the fill ports. Wicking really is not any harder than for an rda and filling is easy.

VU Sponsors