Become a Patron!

Respooling wire

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
A setup for respooling high gauge wire from large bulk spools to smaller spools for usability

IMG_20180417_112140-1612x1209.jpg IMG_20180417_112213-1612x1209.jpg IMG_20180417_112158-1612x1209.jpg

I used what was handy -

Large Spool Side:
- wooden skewer to hold the large spool
-soft-covered elastic band on each side to keep it in place with minimal friction
-skewer through L-brace and taped to box to make it level and stay put

Drill side:
-small screwdriver to pin empty spool to drill
-tape to secure empty spool to screwdriver
- vice and pad optional, but keeping everything in place with minimal table vibration is important

How:
1. Make sure your spool is clean and smooth, ready to hold high gauge wire. I took a lighter to this empty Kbee spool to melt the rough edges, burrs, ridges, etc

2. Mount the spool to the drill and secure it so it spins with as little wobble as you can manage. A little wobble won't ruin everything, but a lot of wobble might

3. Mount the large spool
-- The farther apart the feeding and receiving spools are, the easier it will be to guide the wire onto receiving spool cleanly

4. Make sure the large spool spins easily and steadily, with little resistance

5. Attach wire end to empty spool with tape

6. Most important part! Before you begin to spin the drill, gently pinch and hold the wire between the two spools. You will be using your fingers to maintain tension and angle to guide the wire back and forth across the receiving spool. This is the hardest part to get down.

7. Start slow, and speed up slowly. Move your guide fingers back and forth while watching the receiving spool.

8. When you've spooled as much as you like, decrease speed as gradually as you can and move your guide hand to the larger spool --DO NO STOP YOUR DRILL UNTIL YOUR HAND IS ON THE LARGER FEEDING SPOOL. It will have momentum and keep spinning, and wire will recoil, unravel, and tangle into a mess around it, otherwise. Trust me, it really will.

Enjoy a nice little spool of mermaid hair wire. Works with lower gauges too, I reckon!

IMG_20180417_122517~2.jpg
IMG_20180417_145719_1~2.jpg
IMG_20180418_103008_1~2.jpg

Last edited:

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have success with respooling 46awg kanthal wire with this setup

View attachment 109026 View attachment 109027 View attachment 109028

I used what was handy -

Large Spool Side:
-soft-covered elastic band on each side to keep it in place with minimal friction

Drill side:
- vice and pad optional, but keeping everything in place with minimal table vibration is important

How:
1. Make sure your spool is clean and smooth, ready to hold high gauge wire. I took a lighter to this empty Kbee spool to melt the rough edges, burrs, ridges, etc

2. Mount the spool to the drill and secure it so it spins with as little wobble as you can manage. A little wobble won't ruin everything, but a lot of wobble might

3. Mount the large spool perpendicular to empty spool - one goes up and down/vertical, one goes side to side/horizontal
-- The farther apart the feeding and receiving spools are, the easier it will be to guide the wire onto receiving spool cleanly

6. Most important part! Before you begin to spin the drill, gently pinch and hold the wire between the two spools. You will be using your fingers to maintain tension and angle to guide the wire back and forth across the receiving spool.

7. Start slow, and speed up slowly. Move your guide fingers back and forth while watching the receiving spool.

8. When you've spooled as much as you like, move your guide hand to the larger spool --DO NO STOP YOUR DRILL UNTIL YOUR HAND IS ON THE LARGER FEEDING SPOOL. It will have momentum and keep spinning, and wire will recoil, unravel, and tangle into a mess around it, otherwise. Trust me, it really will.

Enjoy a nice little spool of mermaid hair wire. Works with lower gauges too, I reckon!

View attachment 109030
Can you do this for decore? Just a thought. Not that I decore anything yet. Lol

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Can you do this for decore? Just a thought. Not that I decore anything yet. Lol

I'm not sure what you mean...trying to imagine spooling up 100 feet of decore but not comprehending how to get that much decore to begin with LOL

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not sure what you mean...trying to imagine spooling up 100 feet of decore but not comprehending how to get that much decore to begin with LOL
Well true.i didn't think about making enough to need to spool. Duh on my part

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
There are tools made for purposes like spooling that can be used which will make life much easier. Like this one

spool-arbor.jpg

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Can't hear you, you're on my one-person-long ignore list, nanner nanner boo boo

Yeah talk your shit like a good Crom disciple but you still respond to my comment. Your Ruth Goldberg may work but here are more professional aculally skilled tools that can be used and doesn't cost a lot of money to work like a craftsman instead of a butcher.

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I have success with respooling 46awg kanthal wire with this setup

View attachment 109026 View attachment 109027 View attachment 109028

I used what was handy -

Large Spool Side:

Drill side:

How:

3. Mount the large spool perpendicular to empty spool - one goes up and down/vertical, one goes side to side/horizontal

6. Most important part! Before you begin to spin the drill, gently pinch and hold the wire between the two spools. You will be using your fingers to maintain tension and angle to guide the wire back and forth across the receiving spool.

8. When you've spooled as much as you like, move your guide hand to the larger spool --DO NO STOP YOUR DRILL UNTIL YOUR HAND IS ON THE LARGER FEEDING SPOOL. It will have momentum and keep spinning, and wire will recoil, unravel, and tangle into a mess around it, otherwise. Trust me, it really will.

View attachment 109030
View attachment 109059

I don't think she's talking shit or being a tool. I think she's just sharing what works for her. And some people like myself care cause as a good builder, I know she's a really great builder. Unless your just joking, which might be the case, insulting her doesn't look good to anyone cause she holds a massive amount of credibility in this department. I'm not saying your points are wrong, in fact you make good points. There's just no need to attempt to degrade someone, especially when no one will really take it seriously cause of who she is and what she accomplishes everyday. Of course there is always the chance that you are just joking and I totally misread the entire thing. I guess my point is we're a community, we should all act as friends here. I completely respect you. I think Meg deserves our respect also.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I guess my point is we're a community, we should all act as friends here. I completely respect you.

A word of advise.......... Do not involve yourself in others business. As you do not know the whole story. I offered a suggestion for a tool to use to work more like a craftsman and not like the people using Nail Clippers to cut wire in How To Videos.

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
A word of advise.......... Do not involve yourself in others business. As you do not know the whole story. I offered a suggestion for a tool to use to work more like a craftsman and not like the people using Nail Clippers to cut wire in How To Videos.
Thanks for the advice lol. This is actually a forum. The nature of a forum is public. So if I feel like sticking up for Meg when you say "talk your shit" to a woman, I'll involve myself, and there will be no consequences for me. You did say "talk your shit" which seems either aggressive or defensive. Like you said I don't know the whole story. But, we're all generally on the same team. I have no problem with your suggestion, I think its a good one. I like Meg's methods as well. My advice to you is, if you generally get annoyed at other people sticking up for their friends in relation to a comment that you knowingly made public, perhaps you should privately message her.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks for the advice lol. This is actually a forum. The nature of a forum is public. So if I feel like sticking up for Meg when you say "talk your shit" to a woman, I'll involve myself, and there will be no consequences for me. You did say "talk your shit" which seems either aggressive or defensive. Like you said I don't know the whole story. But, we're all generally on the same team. I have no problem with your suggestion, I think its a good one. I like Meg's methods as well. My advice to you is, if you generally get annoyed at other people sticking up for their friends in relation to a comment that you knowingly made public, perhaps you should privately message her.

Thank you again Shred, I would really like to keep this thread on topic though and let Steve alone. I'm sure you understand, even if nobody in the world wants to respool 8 miles of 46 guage or lower wire yet, someone someday might find this thread helpful :D

I apoligize for stooping down and responding to him the way I did. It did make me giggle at the time.

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thank you again Shred, I would really like to keep this thread on topic though and let Steve alone. I'm sure you understand, even if nobody in the world wants to respool 8 miles of 46 guage or lower wire yet, someone someday might find this thread helpful :D

I apoligize for stooping down and responding to him the way I did. It did make me giggle at the time.
Sorry about that Meg. I didn't mean to get off topic I just have this thing about people talking down to woman in frankly a male dominated industry. You're valuable to have in the community and I got a little off track. You made a great post that was really interesting and helpful... You should see some of my spools.:giggle: I actually need to do this! I've always wished for my wire to be neat and orderly like N.Devine83's spools or someone of the sort. I can't help but feel like a slob sometimes. I have my own quirky way of organizing my wire and it does work, I don't waste much. But it could look a lot neater and more aesthetically appealing. Great post, useful information. Gotta get my build station in order!:gaah:

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Sorry about that Meg. I didn't mean to get off topic I just have this thing about people talking down to woman in frankly a male dominated industry. You're valuable to have in the community and I got a little off track. You made a great post that was really interesting and helpful... You should see some of my spools.:giggle: I actually need to do this! I've always wished for my wire to be neat and orderly like N.Devine83's spools or someone of the sort. I can't help but feel like a slob sometimes. I have my own quirky way of organizing my wire and it does work, I don't waste much. But it could look a lot neater and more aesthetically appealing. Great post, useful information. Gotta get my build station in order!:gaah:

I decided to post this because Raymo mentioned on IG that he was going to buy a spooling machine to respool his big spool of 46, I don't know how much one of those would cost but this way is practically free, and very effective. Like, better spooled than some Kbee wire I've gotten, there is an advantage in a human overseeing a task like this

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I decided to post this because Raymo mentioned on IG that he was going to buy a spooling machine to respool his big spool of 46, I don't know how much one of those would cost but this way is practically free, and very effective. Like, better spooled than some Kbee wire I've gotten, there is an advantage in a human overseeing a task like this
Agreed, and since you have three-million-one-hundred-thousand-two-hundred and twenty-eight feet of 46g left you might actually need to do this more than once.:p

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Agreed, and since you have three-million-one-hundred-thousand-two-hundred and twenty-eight feet of 46g left you might actually need to do this more than once.:p

I did it twice before, and the results trying it other less-stable ways were...heartbreaking...lol

I watched a video of Ghost Vapor (that awesome Russian builder) respool some 38awg while holding his cordless drill and tried that way first...yeah :oops::cry:

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't think she's talking shit or being a tool. I think she's just sharing what works for her. And some people like myself care cause as a good builder, I know she's a really great builder. Unless your just joking, which might be the case, insulting her doesn't look good to anyone cause she holds a massive amount of credibility in this department. I'm not saying your points are wrong, in fact you make good points. There's just no need to attempt to degrade someone, especially when no one will really take it seriously cause of who she is and what she accomplishes everyday. Of course there is always the chance that you are just joking and I totally misread the entire thing. I guess my point is we're a community, we should all act as friends here. I completely respect you. I think Meg deserves our respect also.
Fuckin right shred. She's got a lot of credibility here. Awesome stuff Meg. Wild day sorry for my excitement. Just ready to riot or something. Lol

dkt0591

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi Pegleg Meg, i'm wondering how you count exactly feets to respooling them? example i want to respooling 1000ft to new spool from 10k ft large spool :( is it required additional machine or some tricks?

dkt0591

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

VU Sponsors