Become a Patron!

Response and Tear down on petition sent.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thank you for contacting me to express your support for the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Deeming Authority Clarification Act of 2015 (H.R. 2058). While we may disagree on the policy merits of this legislation, I appreciate the opportunity to share my perspective.

1. Congress passed the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act in 2009 to address tobacco's impact on public health, with a special emphasis on protecting children. The act requires that any tobacco product that was introduced, or modified, after February 15, 2007, must be reviewed by the FDA before it can be sold. Tobacco products that predate February 15, 2007 would be exempt from this process and "grandfathered" in.

2. The FDA Deeming Authority Clarification Act of 2015 would change the grandfather date from February of 2007 to the date that the FDA's final deeming regulation is published, which is expected to be released sometime later this year. Moving the grandfather date would exempt all tobacco products currently on the market from review by the FDA, including the vast majority of e-cigarette products.

3. I have heard from many Oregonians who rely on e-cigarettes as a smoke-free alternative to traditional tobacco, and are worried that FDA review means these products will immediately be pulled from the market. However, these products will remain available to consumers throughout the FDA's review process. While I understand concerns about access, I am deeply troubled by the skyrocketing rates of e-cigarette usage by teens and think that it is critical that the FDA have the authority to limit sales and marketing targeted to children, so I do not support exempting e-cigarettes from FDA review.

Again, I appreciate you sharing your views and giving me the opportunity to respond. I hope you continue to send your thoughts and observations my way.

All my best,

Jeffrey A. Merkley
United States Senator

ok lets go with
1. The PACT act... not a damned bit was aimed at children, it was the states getting twisted that the raised taxes were going up in smoke faster than they were coming in. Since 100% of the states in the tobacco settlement spent and bonded monies they did not have in hand... and since the raised taxes were not there any longer with more quitting or stopped buying mass produced cigs and went RYO in which taxes were then raised into obscene levels. Since the pact outright gutted the online retail businesses, the local places were not getting tax money off the Reservations at all.
Now for the grandfathering since zero decent working equiment or tech was on the market then, it becomes a defacto ban. Since 07 exactly zero products have been approved. In fact some have been removed.

2. With as forthright and transparent the FDA has been currently and past I hold no faith about their honesty let alone their credibility.

3. In Oregon and the vast majority of states it is regulated. Shops here were requiring ID well before the government got their greedy crooked noses into it.

Last edited:

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm thoroughly insulted at the blatant assumptions these people display that we are stupid. Or at least their condescension....we know what they're up to, and they know we know what they're up to, but they have positions of power and they have no qualms in letting us know we're at their mercy.
Their feigned concern for "the children" turns my gut. These same self righteous bastards are using fake concern for "our children " in an attempt to buy votes and nothing more. These same ingrates who are so concerned over the children are the same ones who are pro-choice in the ongoing abortion debates. If I wanted an abortion, a zillion advocates would come flying out of the woodwork, screaming "my body, my choice." But I fire a mod for the sake of my health and I'm satan. They would take my side if I wanted to murder an unborn child, but plan to pull the plug on a measure to save my life and others, then try to proclaim that they're looking out for our children. Two-faced, amoral bastards.....

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
"For the Children" has become a catch all nuclear option for politicians, disagree with them and you are supposedly condoning harm to children. It's exactly the same as disagreeing with a Feminist and being labeled a "misogynist", or disagreeing with a person of color and being labeled a "racist". The narrative is designed to shut down dissent by keeping people from voicing their opinions. The same political types that hyped smoking as a gateway to drugs now hype vaping as a gateway to smoking tobacco. Not too long ago drinking soda pop and reading comics was a gateway to immorality and masturbation for children, earlier than that was children reading books by author's that didn't espouse Christian values as leading them down the dark path to gambling, drunkenness, and a life of debauchery. Kids read a lot back then and didn't remained glued to video games since they didn't exist.

One thing has remained consistent. Politicians will use children in any way they can to garner votes and push their agenda, from baby kissing to going to group homes for disabled kids. It's the same every election cycle, just more regurgitated pablum for the masses.

Last edited:

scotterics

Member For 4 Years
I got a response as well... Notice that mine doesn't even have the balls to state his stance on the matter...

Dear Mr. Sxxxx:

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for H.R. 2058, the FDA Deeming Authority Clarification Act of 2015. It was good to hear from you.

As you may know, in FDA v. Brown and Williamson Tobacco (2000), the Supreme Court ruled, 5-4, that the FDA did not have "the authority to regulate tobacco products as customarily marketed...Congress, for better or for worse, has created a distinct regulatory scheme for tobacco products, squarely rejected proposals to give the [Food and Drug Administration] FDA jurisdiction over tobacco, and repeatedly acted to preclude any agency from exercising significant policymaking authority in the area."

On June 22, 2009, President Barack Obama signed into law the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act (TCA, P.L. 111-31), which, superseding Brown and Williamson, explicitly gives FDA authority to regulate the manufacture, distribution, and marketing of tobacco products to protect public health. Under this law, any cigarette or conventional smokeless tobacco product already marketed before February 15, 2007 could remain on the market. Newer products, however, unless they can demonstrate that they are substantially equivalent to grandfathered products, must submit a new tobacco product application, or a modified risk tobacco product application, for FDA approval; such applications require that manufacturers demonstrate that the product meets the standards of TCA §§906(d), 907(a) and (b), 910(c), and 911(g). There have been thousands of substantial equivalent applications since President Obama signed this bill into law.

These TCA provisions allow the Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) to restrict the sale, distribution, marketing, and advertising of non-grandfathered products if she determines that it would be "appropriate for the protection of public health." This determination is made by the likelihood of users quitting, and of non-users beginning to use (906(d)). TCA 910(c) forbids the licensing of a new tobacco product that cannot be determined to be "appropriate to the protection of the public health."

On April 24, 2014, FDA proposed to deem e-cigarettes and other smokeless tobacco as subject to TCA. As few, if any, e-cigarettes were marketed in the U.S. prior to February 15, 2007, the substantial equivalence pathway may not be an option for most e-cigarette manufacturers, forcing them to submit an application to obtain FDA approval. H.R. 2058, introduced by Rep. Tom Cole on April 28, 2015, would change TCA's grandfather date from February 15, 2007 to the effective date of the final rule on newly deemed tobacco products, allowing e-cigarettes and other smokeless tobacco products marketed since 2007 to remain on the market.

I understand your concerns that certain products such as e-cigarettes cannot, under the current standard, be grandfathered. Rest assured, should H.R. 2058 come to the floor of the House, I will keep your views in mind. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts with me. Please don't hesitate to contact me again if I can be of any service to you or your family.

Sincerely,
I6HyjOVyM8QEXdP05V0kfi2YiQed1Dnf-twP5qfYNWzeiTfnnD2AT69SeqzFmM4gTzw2uqWnu6S4Ch9aP856ldONteeFoJRRSjQ3UU9a6ae2qC8l5ojOMIXV_ZrcOsgf=s0-d-e1-ft

Joe Pitts
Member of Congress

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sounds like that petition really made a difference...

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
if by adding fuel to the antz fire.. then sure.
Petitions are a feel good act which make people think they are actually doing something...
Mods blowing up are one of the reason why there will be regulations. Just wait until little 13 year old Johnny loses half his face from a mech blowing up on him...

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Petitions are a feel good act which make people think they are actually doing something...
Mods blowing up are one of the reason why there will be regulations. Just wait until little 13 year old Johnny loses half his face from a mech blowing up on him...
then charge the parents...

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
then charge the parents...

In the words of our next President-

And we have learned that to raise a happy, healthy and hopeful child, it takes a family, it takes teachers, it takes clergy, it takes business people, it takes community leaders, it takes those who protect our health and safety, it takes all of us.

Yes, it takes a village.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If by win you mean steal....

He is the reason I will NEVER trust a vegan.

There were polling stations in the last election where not a single Republican vote was cast; and Democrat districts where more votes were cast than registered voters...

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And like the shit for brains we have in office now, not only did he convince the blind sheep to lead themselves to slaughter, but made them thank the conductor for the ride.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
In the words of our next President-

And we have learned that to raise a happy, healthy and hopeful child, it takes a family, it takes teachers, it takes clergy, it takes business people, it takes community leaders, it takes those who protect our health and safety, it takes all of us.

Yes, it takes a village.
commie bullshit.
Parenting failure is not everyone else's problem...
if you raise a broken person because you are broken it sure as fuck not my fault..

People need to own up to their own piss poor choices.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
commie bullshit.
if you raise a broken person because you are broken it sure as fuck not my fault..

D. Trump won't make it to election day, which gives H. Clinton the Presidency...

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
commie bullshit.

Too many people count on someone else to raise their children. Schoolteachers, daycare, grandparents, neighbors, babysitters, and anyone else's lap they end up in. And we can't even discipline them when they do something wrong. Of course they're failing as parents. Breeding isn't the hard part.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Lets get back on track here, the thread is about the Deeming Authority Clarification Act of 2015, not the upcoming presidential elections.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Regulations will increase the odds that Johnny loses half his face because once it's harder to get a reliable mod, Johnny will build one in his garage.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For what it's worth, it doesn't matter if the bill passes the house and senate. The White house is reviewing the proposed regulations. If the white house does not change the date and allows the regs, Obama will just veto the bill.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Regulations will increase the odds that Johnny loses half his face because once it's harder to get a reliable mod, Johnny will build one in his garage.

Little Johnny can't even figure out how to safely use a mech; no chance he could build one...

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Little Johnny can't even figure out how to safely use a mech; no chance he could build one...

Pfffft.

There isn't anything difficult about putting a battery, switch and coil together. It's even easier to build one that will blow your face off.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Pfffft.

There isn't anything difficult about putting a battery, switch and coil together. It's even easier to build one that will blow your face off.

Little Johnny will just go to the head shop for other gear, if he cant get his $9 China 'clone...'

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
But Little Johnny will watch YouTube and learn all he thinks he needs to know.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Little Johnny will just go to the head shop for other gear, if he cant get his $9 China 'clone...'

No he won't. The head shop won't sell him one because the states been busy sending kids in to bust them. He'll just make his own.

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Pfffft.

You'd be surprised...

The junior high and high school kids nowadays can't even figure out how to open a combination lock after being walked through it day after day for weeks.

If it's not something that requires a screen being tapped, a mouse being clicked, or a button pressed, the kids of today can't do it.

Look at the 19 year old noobs on here. "I want to blow sick clouds, but I don't understand anything about resistance or electricity".... Even after they've been shown a million articles and given assloads of the most helpful advice.

I'm out of touch with the iGeneration, but I know this much.

"You mean I have to read it? Like a book?"

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You'd be surprised...

The junior high and high school kids nowadays can't even figure out how to open a combination lock after being walked through it day after day for weeks.

If it's not something that requires a screen being tapped, a mouse being clicked, or a button pressed, the kids of today can't do it.

Look at the 19 year old noobs on here. "I want to blow sick clouds, but I don't understand anything about resistance or electricity".... Even after they've been shown a million articles and given assloads of the most helpful advice.

I'm out of touch with the iGeneration, but I know this much.

"You mean I have to read it? Like a book?"

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

I don't disagree. That's why they'll blow their face off.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Fuck me dude.. with assholes like you... who needs enemas.

At least refer to the future CnC correctly... Hitlery Clitnom..

I didn't say I would vote for her, nor support her. That's just the reality of what this country has become...

MySaladDays

Member For 4 Years
Too many people count on someone else to raise their children.

Well maybe they should spend more time with them. When you are working full time, then doing other things when you get home, like hanging out on internet, or watching TV, maybe it is good that the children HAVE other people to give them some direction and listen to them, etc.

I really admire people like those who volunteer for Big brothers or sisters, teach a kid a sport, or an art or a trade......I think it is really easy to just say "oh let the parents be responsible" but what do you do when they aren't? Just toss the kid away and play that *blame game*?

It's funny, but when I was growing up in the 50s, the whole neighborhood "helped" each other. Everybody watched out for everybody elses kids.

Yet, today, we have people saying "it takes a village" is crap........yet, the same people long for the "good ole days".

Amazing.

I'm not at all offended by it takes a village. We were raised in a tight knit community where pepople weren't selfish by only caring about their own stuff. Too bad more people don't have that attitude today.

Last edited:

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Where I have a problem is when people pawn their kids off on anyone else so they can do their "own thing." Parents have to work, that's just a fact of life, but when they're tossing them to the four corners and to whomever so they can party or do anything BUT live up to their responsibilities, that's where it becomes wrong. Kids aren't inflatable, you can't just blow em up and play with them till you're tired or distracted, then let the air out and put them away till next time. They're little human beings with thoughts and feelings just like adults. People know this when they have them. Any adult who has children owes those children a decent upbringing and if they can't provide that, give them to someone who can and walk away, but don't leave them to their own devices and act surprised when they do as they please. They grow by example.

VapnCloudz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
HAHAHAHAHA

Thank you for contacting me with you concerns about the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)regulation of tobacco products. I appreciate hearing from you.

The Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act gives the FDA the authorityto regulate the manufacturing, marketing and sale of tobacco products. Before the law was enacted, these products wereexempt from basic consumer protections,such as ingredient disclosure, product testing, and restrictions on marketing to children.

Tobacco use is the number one preventable cause of death in America, killing more than 400,000 Americans every year and totaling $96 billion a year in health related costs. Tobacco use is the leading cause of cancer and cancer death, and also contributes substantially to chronic lung diseases such as emphysema and bronchitis, heart disease, pregnancy-related problems, and many other serious health problems.

There is no safe level of tobacco. We owe it toAmericans, especially young people, to help them live healthier lives by curbing tobacco use. I understand that we may disagree on this issue, but your important is important to me, and I will keep it in mind should the Senate consider tobacco related legislation.

Thanks again for contacting me. Please feel free to keep in touch.

BrainJuicedLLC

Unlisted Vendor
I fear the majority will rule. Not the majority of people, but the majority of people with money. This is all about the $ bill y'all. The government will willingly kill it's own people for the $ bill. I unfortunately believe our petitions and letters are just little mosquitoes to them. :( and to think I am a really optimistic person usually.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I fear the majority will rule. Not the majority of people, but the majority of people with money. This is all about the $ bill y'all. The government will willingly kill it's own people for the $ bill. I unfortunately believe our petitions and letters are just little mosquitoes to them. :( and to think I am a really optimistic person usually.

The majority of voters and even vapers want regulation...

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can knock me over with a feather. I LIVE IN MARYLAND and MY representative is on OUR side !
Its Bizarro World, I tell ya.

Thank you Representative Harris !

AH reply.jpg

VU Sponsors