Become a Patron!

Regulated squonk mod battery life

Hi guys,
New member and it’s only fitting my first thread is about squonking.

The squonk bug hit me hard a few months ago and is now my preferred method. I own a few 18650 mechanical mods ( boxer, octopus and a steam rabbit on the way! ) and am looking to add a regulated device to my arsenal. The build I’m running in all my RDA’s is dual kanthal fused Claptons 2 x 26/32 and I love it. Usually around 0.16 to 0.17 ohms. Warm, huge flavour but definitely not a massive cloud chucker.

I’m particularly interested in the Therion bf 75c because I like the looks and it seems well built. I’m no stranger to swapping out vtc5a’s during a day but from what I’ve heard the battery life on the Therion is terrible. Anyone have experience running this mod at 75 watts?

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I primarily use a single battery squonk, single coil between .35-.4 ohms at 35w with an lgh2 and go through two batteries a day. Prepare to carry a lot of batteries.

BlindBuck

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm new as well on here, but not new to DNA boards as it is all I have used as far as regulated devices.

If you plan on changing your build and running a higher resistance you'll be fine with a DNA75C and matching the experience you have now with your mechs. The theme you run also has a baring on the battery life. If you run a theme that is updating all kinds of things on the screen the battery life will be impacted more. I have three single battery DNA75C devices. Two of them use 21700s and the other uses a 18650. Obviously the first two last longer using a 40T, but my Vapcell Purple 18650s are not that bad as far as battery life. As for the Therion BF I do not have any experience. I do have a dual battery Therion 75C and 166. I've had zero issues with either . I also never understood the battery complaints with the Therion series. I don't have issues taking them out or putting them in.

Note* I'm not a real low ohm guy either. My normal builds are SS316L 2*28/38 or 2*26/36. They ohm out from .3 to .5+ on single coil RDAs.

The best part about a DNA C series in my opinion is Replay mode. I never use temperature control or standard power mode anymore.

Last thing, since you have a Boxer mech I can tell you the Boxer 75C squonk is very nice.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Changing battery on a Therion and changing battery on the other mods you have are 2 different things also therion is a pain to change compared.
Yea it does look pretty annoying, and that is a big reason why I'm asking the question.
I primarily use a single battery squonk, single coil between .35-.4 ohms at 35w with an lgh2 and go through two batteries a day. Prepare to carry a lot of batteries.
I go through 2 or 3 batteries a day already. Im not a chain vaper but I push the batteries hard no doubt.

I'm new as well on here, but not new to DNA boards as it is all I have used as far as regulated devices.

If you plan on changing your build and running a higher resistance you'll be fine with a DNA75C and matching the experience you have now with your mechs. The theme you run also has a baring on the battery life. If you run a theme that is updating all kinds of things on the screen the battery life will be impacted more. I have three single battery DNA75C devices. Two of them use 21700s and the other uses a 18650. Obviously the first two last longer using a 40T, but my Vapcell Purple 18650s are not that bad as far as battery life. As for the Therion BF I do not have any experience. I do have a dual battery Therion 75C and 166. I've had zero issues with either . I also never understood the battery complaints with the Therion series. I don't have issues taking them out or putting them in.

Note* I'm not a real low ohm guy either. My normal builds are SS316L 2*28/38 or 2*26/36. They ohm out from .3 to .5+ on single coil RDAs.

The best part about a DNA C series in my opinion is Replay mode. I never use temperature control or standard power mode anymore.

Last thing, since you have a Boxer mech I can tell you the Boxer 75C squonk is very nice.

Thanks BlindBuck. This is exactly the sort of info I'm after. Changing up builds and using replay mode is something I'm very interested in.
I'm anticipating I would need an additional battery change each day if I keep my current build. Apparently the board is not so efficient?

BlindBuck

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks BlindBuck. This is exactly the sort of info I'm after. Changing up builds and using replay mode is something I'm very interested in.
I'm anticipating I would need an additional battery change each day if I keep my current build. Apparently the board is not so efficient?
Not a problem. How many battery changes do you run with your mechs?

If you're concerned with battery changes I'd get a 21700 75C squonk. I can get through a day carrying one 40T in a sleeve in my pocket with a fresh one in the device. My 18650 single takes three fresh ones, sometimes two.

Replay is great. No fiddling with TCR values or settings. Just tweak your wattage to what you think is your perfect vape and hit save. It will give you the same experience puff after puff. It doesn't matter what temperature the air or the device is....it just replays it.

*Edit* I see you use two to three batteries with a mech. You are pushing relatively high current though. If you raise your resistance on a 75C you'll probably only be setting your mod in the 40-50W range. That being said if it was me I'd lean heavily towards a 21700 squonk for your use.

The Boxer Squonk you don't have to remove the squonk bottle to change the battery, unlike the Therion.

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

I was lucky to get four hours out of the Therion BF just tootle puffing (maybe a single .8 fused Clapton) on boring old wattage mode and using the power saver, which was a PITA

I'm suggesting BlindLuck found the batteries sufficient on his Therion because it is the double-battery non-squonk mod

The battery life on the single is very, very poor and definitely not a quick battery swap option on the BF Therion

BlindBuck

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was lucky to get four hours out of the Therion BF just tootle puffing (maybe a single .8 fused Clapton) on boring old wattage mode and using the power saver, which was a PITA

I'm suggesting BlindLuck found the batteries sufficient on his Therion because it is the double-battery non-squonk mod

The battery life on the single is very, very poor and definitely not a quick battery swap option on the BF Therion

JL my Therion is dual battery and no I don't have an issue with that at all. It will run 6 hours without a problem and normally 8+. I also have three DNA75C single battery mods. Two of which take 21700s (40Ts) and one takes a 18650 (VTC 6A). I easily get five hours runtime with the 21700s and four hours with the 18650. To me that is sufficient as when I refill my squonk bottle I swap batteries. I personally wouldn't get the Therion BF, but that is only because I feel better options exist, however all of which cost at least double.

VU Sponsors