Become a Patron!

Regulated mod(s)

Casper9104

Member For 2 Years
hi so I’ve been using a tarot nano with a TFV8 baby beast for the past 4 months and I’m getting worried cuz at some points it’s getting really hot so I’m looking into some regulated mods and idk what to get if u have any recommendations as long as they’re mini mods I would appreciate it.
I was looking at the wismec reuleaux rx gen 3 and I’m not sure if it’s regulated or not if it is then that’s probably my next mod.
Thank you and sorry for the paragraph

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
hi so I’ve been using a tarot nano with a TFV8 baby beast for the past 4 months and I’m getting worried cuz at some points it’s getting really hot so I’m looking into some regulated mods and idk what to get if u have any recommendations as long as they’re mini mods I would appreciate it.
I was looking at the wismec reuleaux rx gen 3 and I’m not sure if it’s regulated or not if it is then that’s probably my next mod.

There is nothing mini about the Reuleaux line - even if this one is smaller than previous versions, its still a three battery mod

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I'd get a dual battery reg mod. Some single cell mods don't keep up with some of those coils very well.
Eleaf Invoke comes to mind. I haven't owned one, but it's small and seems good from what I gather. You could check that out if interested.
If you don't already have good batteries?? And external charger ??

Casper9104

Member For 2 Years
I'd get a dual battery reg mod. Some single cell mods don't keep up with some of those coils very well.
Eleaf Invoke comes to mind. I haven't owned one, but it's small and seems good from what I gather. You could check that out if interested.
If you don't already have good batteries?? And external charger ??
I’ve never needed batteries as the tarot has internal batteries

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Ok what is a regulated mod? It is a mod that has a chipset in it that regulates the power so you can adjust wattage sometime voltage and sometimes temperature. Versus a Mech mod that has nothing but a switch in it and sometime one little chip to help make it a hair safer Versus VV and PWM mods which normally have a dial on them.

SO IN GENERAL when you are buying on vape websites and vape shops a mod is regulated if it has a screen. This is not 100% true but it's true about 98% of the time. Yes the wisemec is regulated.

Why is your mod getting hot. Well you are demanding alot of amps usually from the battery. This can become a safety issue.
Why is your mod not hot but the tank is...your running it at high wattages and its a poor design for the tank. This is only an issue for your comfort or possibly burning yourself if you touch the tank when its too hot

So before we can really recommend a mod...1 battery, internal battery, 2 battery or 3 battery. We need to know more of how you vape.
What wattage do you run?
what is the coil resistance you use in the tank?
Which coil is it?

When choosing a mod it's often a balancing act between...battery life, size/weight, and power needed for your vape style.
For example my vape style would work great on a internal battery or a 1 battery mod. But I prefer 2 battery mods for battery life and I misplace them less due to their size, and I for some reason burn out internal batteries much faster then the normal person. But someone else who vapes differently might need a 3 battery mod to keep up with the power demands of their vaping style

Casper9104

Member For 2 Years
Ok what is a regulated mod? It is a mod that has a chipset in it that regulates the power so you can adjust wattage sometime voltage and sometimes temperature. Versus a Mech mod that has nothing but a switch in it and sometime one little chip to help make it a hair safer Versus VV and PWM mods which normally have a dial on them.

SO IN GENERAL when you are buying on vape websites and vape shops a mod is regulated if it has a screen. This is not 100% true but it's true about 98% of the time. Yes the wisemec is regulated.

Why is your mod getting hot. Well you are demanding alot of amps usually from the battery. This can become a safety issue.
Why is your mod not hot but the tank is...your running it at high wattages and its a poor design for the tank. This is only an issue for your comfort or possibly burning yourself if you touch the tank when its too hot

So before we can really recommend a mod...1 battery, internal battery, 2 battery or 3 battery. We need to know more of how you vape.
What wattage do you run?
what is the coil resistance you use in the tank?
Which coil is it?

When choosing a mod it's often a balancing act between...battery life, size/weight, and power needed for your vape style.
For example my vape style would work great on a internal battery or a 1 battery mod. But I prefer 2 battery mods for battery life and I misplace them less due to their size, and I for some reason burn out internal batteries much faster then the normal person. But someone else who vapes differently might need a 3 battery mod to keep up with the power demands of their vaping style
im running it at 50 watts
my coil is at 0.15 resistance
and the coils are the V8 Baby X4 coils
and i take direct to lung hits

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I suspect that Nano needs frequent charging @ 50W due to it's 2500mAH battery?
The tank gets hot?
What coil do you run in it when it gets hot?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
the tank gets hot then after a few minutes the mod gets hot
Nano, altho might be available separately, it's sold/promoted by Vaporesso as kitted with Veco tank with its .5 or .6 coils @ 35-55w.
That 55w might be over rated, I don't know. I know smok overrates the wattage on their coils in terms of lifespan.
Altho that x4 can handle 50w you can expect some warmth from small Baby, as you've reached the upper limit of wattage for lifespan for that coil.
For the most part, I think the Nano is being taxed for power which would cause more heat and if that taxation is removed, only whatever heat the tank generates would remain and be more apt to dissipate.

Make sense?
If this is your only DTL setup, another mod and atty would be good to have.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok based on your answers a single cell battery mod would be OKish for you. At 50 watts you are not normally pulling more then 18 amps from a battery.
A 2 cell battery would work better for battery life and a larger mod will dissipate the heat transfer more from the tank.

Your mod is getting hot from heat transfer from the tank most likely.

I would recommend the IPV D4 as a replacement mod
get a Sony VTC6 battery for longevity. Actually get 2 so you always have one ready to go.
Get a 2 slot Nitecore or Xtar external charger

Then also start looking into other tanks. The beast is the issue causing your heat not the mod or the way you vape. Well technically the way you vape has something to do with it but that tank can get hot even at 50 watts . I use RTAs where you have to make your own coil. So if you are not ready for that step I can't make a good suggestion for a replacement.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
RX gen 3 is not a small or lightweight mod so you asking about it is a bit confusing. Do you want lightweight and portable or a gen 3? I would recommend you google RX Gen 3 problems and decide where you want to go from there.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
You mentioned you wanted something small. The gen 3 isnt, needs more batteries, bigger charger..it's way overkill for your use.
IPV D4 would be a great choice for single cell. Good processor. I agree w/VCT6 as well, esp if you ever want to run T6 or T8 coil because those draw more power.
Since your going to still have the nano for back up, I personally would get a dual cell mod. No concern of carrying around a charged battery for your 50W and will work well for other tanks/attys moving forward.
There are a couple good tanks that use oem coils and ,come with a rebuildable deck for which you wouldn't necessarily have to make your own coils, but you would have to make your own build - and you can use premade coils for that. There are many pros to rebuildable, but you may not be interested atm?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
If you decide dual battery, here's a few to consider.
Modefined Sirius
Smoant Cylon
Smoant charon TS 218
asMODus Minikin 2
Tesla WYE 200w
Aspire Speeder
Aspire SkyStar
Vaporesso Revenger / X
Eleaf Invoke

vapingwithpaul

Member For 1 Year
i would go with a smok alien 85i had one and loved it

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i would go with a smok alien 85i had one and loved it
Nice device, but that one is the new Joyetech Espion Solo touch screen. (pictured above). Looks awesome with 20700/18650 battery options. I would suggest to the OP try a Smok Alien. Solid device, tons of colors, and the price has dropped to around 40-45.00 usd.

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There is nothing mini about the Reuleaux line - even if this one is smaller than previous versions, its still a three battery mod

Enter the Smok GX350, a 4-battery mod. Things chunky as hell, but I've got bear paws for hands! :D

Figuratively speaking, of course!

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I personally wouldn't buy smok. Many do, some have no issue and many do. I would stay with mods that have a better QC reputation. smok company is about production. The mag looks awkward to fire unless finger only and no thumb.
There's another mag looking mod or 2 out there, altho I don't recall which companys or if they are a pos or not.
Got any other choices?

Casper9104

Member For 2 Years
I personally wouldn't buy smok. Many do, some have no issue and many do. I would stay with mods that have a better QC reputation. smok company is about production. The mag looks awkward to fire unless finger only and no thumb.
There's another mag looking mod or 2 out there, altho I don't recall which companys or if they are a pos or not.
Got any other choices?
not really do u?

Casper9104

Member For 2 Years
Got any other choices?
thx for all the help btw :)

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Smoant Ranker may appeal to you. I don't have this one but I do have 3 other mods from them and they are all rock solid devices.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Smoant Ranker may appeal to you. I don't have this one but I do have 3 other mods from them and they are all rock solid devices.
Nice 1. Same processing/interface as Cylon which is excellent. I always did like fire bars. Trouble is finding a good one and this looks like if fits that bill.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Nice 1. Same processing/interface as Cylon which is excellent. I always did like fire bars. Trouble is finding a good one and this looks like if fits that bill.
The crooked screen is more than I could handle, same way with overhang. It's a Smoant so will be a good mod.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
The crooked screen is more than I could handle, same way with overhang. It's a Smoant so will be a good mod.
I seen that screen, but when holding it wouldn't be bad.

springer

Just like Jerry
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
I’d say a smok alien 220 kit or one of smok’s other new kits.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
For the non ocd people maybe.:giggle:
I would be more worried about the battery doors. It is the battery doors that make me not buy any new IPVs one too many drops (WHICH i DO DAILY) and the door is trashed in a month or so. Others who are more careful than me may be fine, but I would prefer doors like the old IPVs

springer

Just like Jerry
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
I had an IPV8 for about a month. I dropped it twice and the door was trashed. Wouldn’t stay closed. I ended up using duck tape to hold it closed until I bought a new mod. That was before I became a mod hoarder.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Never had an IPV. I'm a big fan of C frame mods. Have never had door problem with any of those.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I haven't researched this mod, just saw the design(when searching something else)as something the TS might like since they mentioned Mag.
Check it out. Don't buy only because you like it. Make sure it's reliable and has no known issues.
Looks easier for thumb press.
http://www.vapecov.com/2018/02/03/range-mod/

Last edited:

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
For running a baby beast at 50w, the Smoant Battlestar would be a good choice. Compact rx type shape, 2 batteries, door is on the back not bottom, easy to navigate, and durable.

It also is capable of more power, if other tanks are in the future.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
+1 for the Battlestar. Smoant just makes good mods. The Think Vape Exus Ark is a good mod you can finger or thumb fire.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile

Tarot Nana is a regulated mod (80w) however, most likely, it is your coils heating the atomizer if you are vaping to fast. What I did to fix this, was purchase a heat sink to go between the atomizer and mod (or build coils with a smaller inner diameter core- *coils are farther from the atomizer wall*)

Keep in mind, the more power you send to the coil from the mod, the hotter it will get. So 80w or 200w... you still vape at the same power level.
The only other thing is to always buy top quality brand name (Samsung, Sony, LG) batteries. These have been proven to heat slower and are more dependable than some cheap Chinese flashlight battery.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
What regulated mod did you get?

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I was also wondering if it’s ok to use an RDA or RTDA on a regulated mod

the answer is yes. now what coils you use depend son the mod.
My question is why do you think you couldn't use a rda or rdta on a regulated mod

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, I was just curious if they got another mod they were looking for.

VU Sponsors