Become a Patron!

Regulated in series

B-rad-Real

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I understand that you get longer battery life from batteries in parallel rather than in series. Does this concept apply to regulated mods as well?

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I don't know how many dual battery parallel regulated mods are out there. I've only seen them in series. That's the only way to get crazy high wattages.

On a series regulated mod, building your coils so that the highest voltage = the wattage you want to run at will give you the lowest amperage and longest battery life. For example, if your mod is capable of 7V max and you want to run at 100W. Build your coils at 0.49 ohms. That way your amperage is only 14.2. If you built your coils at 0.2 and ran it at 100W, the amperage is 22.3.

Not that you asked. Sorry.

B-rad-Real

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Np...any extra info is good info to me. Well explained. Is the only way to fully utilize a low ohm build on a regulated device, is push high watts to it?

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It depends. I've had builds that I ran at less than 4v with good results while other builds prefer 6v. It mostly depends on the "heat capacity" of the coil I think. The more metal that's in the coil, the more power it takes to heat it up, to over simplify it.

Plug some builds into the steam engine coil calculator and pay attention to the heat Flux and heat capacity measurements. Heat Flux is dependent on wattage (which you have to set) but heat capacity is not. Flux is the hotness of the vape. Capacity is the time it takes to heat up and cool off.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't know how many dual battery parallel regulated mods are out there. I've only seen them in series. That's the only way to get crazy high wattages.

On a series regulated mod, building your coils so that the highest voltage = the wattage you want to run at will give you the lowest amperage and longest battery life. For example, if your mod is capable of 7V max and you want to run at 100W. Build your coils at 0.49 ohms. That way your amperage is only 14.2. If you built your coils at 0.2 and ran it at 100W, the amperage is 22.3.

Not that you asked. Sorry.
I hate to be rude, but you don't know what you're talking about. Watt setting on a vw device dictates how fast the batteries drain, build resistance is irrelevant.

B-rad-Real

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I hate to be rude, but you don't know what you're talking about. Watt setting on a vw device dictates how fast the batteries drain, build resistance is irrelevant.
So what would be the most battery conservative way to run a low ohm build on a vw device?

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Turn down the watts.

Build resistance has jack shit to do with how fast the batteries drain. Turning up the watts drains them faster, turning down the watts drains them slower. That's it.

B-rad-Real

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Turn down the watts.

Build resistance has jack shit to do with how fast the batteries drain. Turning up the watts drains them faster, turning down the watts drains them slower. That's it.
Thank ya sir

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well the edit was certainly less rude and more informative than the original post. I appreciate that. I would like to know more. All I know is what I've read.

I thought li-ion batteries were capable of X milliamps per hour. I foolishly assumed that what I had read was right and that a lower amperage would yield longer battery life. 2500mAh battery = 2.5A for one hour = 1.25A for two hours (grossly oversimplifying). I obviously don't understand the intricacies of the various methods of modifying battery voltage and how that affects the drain of the battery.

Anyways, I have seen my original point explained very logically before but I was foolishly trusting someone that had (A) a computer, (B) an internet connection, (C) Ohm's terminology and (D) NOTHING GODDAMN ELSE. This post http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ow-resistance-high-resistance-efficiency.html explains it pretty well. I missed the crucial part where the math is even simpler than Ohm's law. :mad:

Without doing hours more research... I'm thinking BoomStick is right. I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about. I'm stubborn though. I'll figure this shit out someday. Real good. For now, I'm going to go set my new IPV mini II to 45W and vape that mofo till the battery is dead (aka 3.2V). Then I'm going to put that battery in my Xtar charger set to 0.25A, not 1.0A because some asshole with a network connection told me that was better. :oops:

This is why I have 7 mechs and 3 regulated mods (1 of which that's 10 hours old). I'm better at mechs. They don't fuck with me. I build a load, they provide voltage. No funny business. :(

B-rad-Real

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well the edit was certainly less rude and more informative than the original post. I appreciate that. I would like to know more. All I know is what I've read.

I thought li-ion batteries were capable of X milliamps per hour. I foolishly assumed that what I had read was right and that a lower amperage would yield longer battery life. 2500mAh battery = 2.5A for one hour = 1.25A for two hours (grossly oversimplifying). I obviously don't understand the intricacies of the various methods of modifying battery voltage and how that affects the drain of the battery.

Anyways, I have seen my original point explained very logically before but I was foolishly trusting someone that had (A) a computer, (B) an internet connection, (C) Ohm's terminology and (D) NOTHING GODDAMN ELSE. This post http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ow-resistance-high-resistance-efficiency.html explains it pretty well. I missed the crucial part where the math is even simpler than Ohm's law. :mad:

Without doing hours more research... I'm thinking BoomStick is right. I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about. I'm stubborn though. I'll figure this shit out someday. Real good. For now, I'm going to go set my new IPV mini II to 45W and vape that mofo till the battery is dead (aka 3.2V). Then I'm going to put that battery in my Xtar charger set to 0.25A, not 1.0A because some asshole with a network connection told me that was better. :oops:

This is why I have 7 mechs and 3 regulated mods (1 of which that's 10 hours old). I'm better at mechs. They don't fuck with me. I build a load, they provide voltage. No funny business. :(
Learn and vape on brotha. That's what I'm doing.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Creating a constant supply of voltage from batteries that have a constantly changing voltage requires circuitry that isn't as simple and straight forward as a mech. Many people (including some well known youtube reviewers) don't understand or are even aware of the differences between power consumption in unregulated versus regulated devices. The steamengine creator does. Go to their battery drain section. Fill in the blanks for a regulated device. Use whatever watt setting you want. Keep the watts the same and input different build resistances. The run time doesn't change. The only way to change run time is to change the watts you input. Basically it's watts in equals watts out (minus a little convertor loss due to less than 100% efficiency). Hopefully this is somewhat helpful.

Cloudboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So what would be the most battery conservative way to run a low ohm build on a vw device?
You don't need to build low ohms to get great vape on a regulated device simply because you can just up the wattage. The reason that you build low ohms on mechs is because the battery will only give a max of 4.2 volts so lowering the ohms increases the wattage drawn from the battery

A coil on a mech pulls from the battery
A coil on a regulated is pushed by the battery

And a coil building at 1 ohm and running 50 watts will save your battery and vape very similar to a .2 at 80 watts

The battery works harder at lower ohms decreasing safety and battery life

To add my current build is a dual 10 wrap .6 ohm build on a sigelli 150 watt I vape it between 50 and 60 watts

Last edited:

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Coil current is not the same as battery current on a VW mod. Regardless of coil current, 100 watts delivered to a coil would be somewhat over 100 watts from the batteries because of circuit losses. So for example we assume that the curcuit losses are 5 watts. that is 105 watts from the batteries. We are at this point pushing them pretty hard, so I guesstimate the output the series batteries to be around 7 volts. That and 105 watts will equal around 15 amps. This has nothing to do with load current. On a regulated mod, you adjust the power. Its not solely based on the build resistance. Of course there are voltage and current limits on the regulated mod. Less watts, more vape time.

B-rad-Real

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Creating a constant supply of voltage from batteries that have a constantly changing voltage requires circuitry that isn't as simple and straight forward as a mech. Many people (including some well known youtube reviewers) don't understand or are even aware of the differences between power consumption in unregulated versus regulated devices. The steamengine creator does. Go to their battery drain section. Fill in the blanks for a regulated device. Use whatever watt setting you want. Keep the watts the same and input different build resistances. The run time doesn't change. The only way to change run time is to change the watts you input. Basically it's watts in equals watts out (minus a little convertor loss due to less than 100% efficiency). Hopefully this is somewhat helpful.
It is indeed

B-rad-Real

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You don't need to build low ohms to get great vape on a regulated device simply because you can just up the wattage. The reason that you build low ohms on mechs is because the battery will only give a max of 4.2 volts so lowering the ohms increases the wattage drawn from the battery

A coil on a mech pulls from the battery
A coil on a regulated is pushed by the battery

And a coil building at 1 ohm and running 50 watts will save your battery and vape very similar to a .2 at 80 watts

The battery works harder at lower ohms decreasing safety and battery life

To add my current build is a dual 10 wrap .6 ohm build on a sigelli 150 watt I vape it between 50 and 60 watts
What gauge wire are you using for that build?

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It was helpful. Thank you. I was oversimplifying the circuit and thinking that less amps = longer battery life. Another part of my confusion was the output wattage of the battery being seemingly unrelated to the load. In my mech-based thought process, the coil is the load. Nope! The regulating chip is the load. The coil beyond it doesn't matter (so long as its within the operating range of the chip).

A fair re-wording?

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It was helpful. Thank you. I was oversimplifying the circuit and thinking that less amps = longer battery life. Another part of my confusion was the output wattage of the battery being seemingly unrelated to the load. In my mech-based thought process, the coil is the load. Nope! The regulating chip is the load. The coil beyond it doesn't matter (so long as its within the operating range of the chip).

A fair re-wording?
That's a really good way of looking at it.

KeyserSoze

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That's a really good way of looking at it.
Hooray. I do A/V work for a living so I was just imagining the regulating chip as a (A) magically-small (B) powerful-ass (C) intelligent potentiometer... basically. Which it's most definitely fucking not.

Facepalm_Black_Tile_5_1024x1024.jpg

VU Sponsors