Become a Patron!

Recommended wattage?

robertbrifino13

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I installed these 0.6 ohm Clapton coils on my dual post Herakles RTA. My Smok Alien 220W mod reads them together as 0.38. I am using Cotton Bacon for the wicks and Bad Drip Ugly Butter ejuice. What wattages should this be safe at? Currently I am at 50W, 4.55V, and 11.99 Amps. I also use 2 LG HG2 3000mah batteries.

5bcfb6c6cce9c306e683317f8f3e01fa.jpg

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I installed these 0.6 ohm Clapton coils on my dual post Herakles RTA. My Smok Alien 220W mod reads them together as 0.38. I am using Cotton Bacon for the wicks and Bad Drip Ugly Butter ejuice. What wattages should this be safe at? Currently I am at 50W, 4.55V, and 11.99 Amps. I also use 2 LG HG2 3000mah batteries.

5bcfb6c6cce9c306e683317f8f3e01fa.jpg

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

7e699f01d361489c60bcf798ab3e8736.png

Very safe my friend...ur mod would not fire anything she doesn't like!

svist

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Regulated mod will not allow you to fire anything unsafe. So you can go as far as you'd like with wattage

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
considering the mod you are using and assuming you are using batteries at least minimally rated as per the mods specs. I Recommend the power setting Temp, Watt volts whatever that provides the vape you desire. The is no CORRECT wattage.... there is what works for YOU or does NOT work for YOU.

rsimpson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Agree with HondaDavidson, it's all subjective on what kind of vaping experience you like. Some folks like a cooler vape, some a hot one. I'll give you my perspective on it since I use a Herakles RTA with claptons similar to yours. I tend to start at 60W and go up from there until I get the flavor and vapor production I like. I have never taken my Herakles RTA above 90W and had anything good come from it for long. I usually find my sweet spot for the Herakles is around 65-70W

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Start low, say 30w.. and work up until you hit your sweet spot. We cant actually tell you what wattage to vape at, we don't know what you like, but we can tell you how to find it. :)

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Regulated mod will not allow you to fire anything unsafe. So you can go as far as you'd like with wattage
A regulated mod won't fire on a build unsafe for the mod...........in this you are correct.

It may be capable of firing a build unsafe for you, and its batterie, though.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
A regulated mod won't fire on a build unsafe for the mod...........in this you are correct.

It may be capable of firing a build unsafe for you, and its batterie, though.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
For example????
What coil build is unsafe that will fire on a regulated mod? How does this affect the battery in the regulated mod?

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
For example????
What coil build is unsafe that will fire on a regulated mod? How does this affect the battery in the regulated mod?

Mmmmm, that also is subjective, but let us take the OP, 220watt dual battery mod using 20amp CDR rated but 18amp independent tested batteries.

Dual, triple core fused claptons with 24awg cores wrapped with 30awg outer, technically a sextuple coil setup. Now what if the user is needing to push those coils at 180plus watts, even though the resistance is at say 0.1ohm which the mod will fire.

(180watts/6.4v low battery cut off being a series config)/90% chipset efficiency=31.25amps <--- there would be the instance of an unsafe build in a regulated mod if it would not error out saying not enough push from the batteries.

Can and has this type of danger occurred, yes

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Mmmmm, that also is subjective, but let us take the OP, 220watt dual battery mod using 20amp CDR rated but 18amp independent tested batteries.

Dual, triple core fused claptons with 24awg cores wrapped with 30awg outer, technically a sextuple coil setup. Now what if the user is needing to push those coils at 180plus watts, even though the resistance is at say 0.1ohm which the mod will fire.

(180watts/6.4v low battery cut off being a series config)/90% chipset efficiency=31.25amps <--- there would be the instance of an unsafe build in a regulated mod if it would not error out saying not enough push from the batteries.

Still not dangerous. Battery will cut off just the same. For 180w on a regulated mod you need at least 2 cells for 40A total, The low battery cut off is to prevent over discharging which can damage the batteries, and still well above the level that could cause a thermal run. We already know the OP is using the recommended brand name batteries suitable for his mod. The only real issue comes from chain vaping at 200w where the atomizer heats up and that transfers to the mod. High temp can ruin the IC circuits at which point the mod just will not fire. The only real issue is when the protection circuit fails but even then, with proper batteries, it is most likely to just ruin the mod. I've been vaping about 9 months, Member of 3 forums, 2 actively (daily) and in that time I have seen only 1 regulated mod fail. The cause is unknown but we figured it was either the 510 pin broke and dropped inside the mod causing a hard short or the protection circuit failed and let the power fire continuously without cutting off at 10 seconds. The batteries were Samsung 25r and they vented out. Ruined the mod but didn't explode in the persons pocket. Now nothing in the guys build had anything to do with the mod failing.
200w at 8.4v is only 24 amps. Safe even on 2x 20amp batteries. Even safer on 25rs.
Since you pretty much ignore resistance since the mod won't fire below 0.1 ohm
Even at 6.4v (which is raised by the mod to 8.4) you still only draw 31A spread across 2 batteries.
Now if you were talking about a dual cell mech mod, then yes, you would be 100% correct. However, a dual cell mech mod is an advanced vaping device, so the user would be aware of the safe limits and how hard he could push the batteries.
Now just for example, my mod is at 50% charge so it only allows me to go up to 159w.out of 200w total. (34 ohm build)

Now if anyone DOES find a regulated mod that acts the way you suggested, let us know and we can avoid it. That isn't a coil issue, it is a design issue with the mod.

Now just so you don't think Im new to vaping and don't know what I am talking about...
I do competition builds on a single cell mechanical mod. So I pull 220 to 240W on some builds. Mind you, I only get 4 to 6 pulls per battery charge and have to recharge at 3.9V, but I know my batteries can handle it and how long they can handle it for. Little note here.. unless you are using proper brand name high drain batteries and know what the stress test results are and how long you can fire the cell for and a dozen other little bits of info, don't do this.
I won't say it is "Safe" but it is as safe as anything else. If you know what you are doing, you cut the risks.
The main issue with a regulated mod isn't actually the amount of watts you fire at, the main issue is making sure you use good batteries and they are in good condition (no tears in the wrap)

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile

BTW.. 220W is just barely enough to use that set up. Better to use 26ga core wires or a 300w mod. It would fire, but both clouds and flavor would be unsatisfactory.

VU Sponsors