Become a Patron!

Recommendations on RDA

john velasco

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So im considering buying an RDA for my mvp 2.0. RDA's is another language to me.. so i was wondering if anyone could recommend an RDA for beginners.

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Magma. I have a build for you too! 26 gauge Kanthal A1, eight wraps 3mm ID. Single coil should be around one ohm or so and give you nice flavor at 30w.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like anything with a dual positive post - makes building simple dual coils so much easier when you only have to thread one wire into one post hole, line up, and clamp down. I won't even look at single positive attys anymore - there are plenty of great ones, but plenty of two-hole posts too.

I've had success with Plume Veils, Mutation X (all versions), Igo-M, and others...for a beginner I'd look for something with a minimal drip well depth to make it easier to get your coils installed. Other than that, whatever appeals to your style will probably work.

Not sure what the minimum resistance your MVP will support, but I believe it's pretty high. For that reason, although I'd normally recommend 26g wire for starters, you may want to go with 28g...

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It is. The flavor is great, building is easy and the dripwell is absolutely massive.

Monotremata

Member For 4 Years
Is it an MVP2 or the MVP 20W? Big difference. I don't think the MVP2 will fire below 1.2 ohms (can't remember) and it tops out at 11w. My Magma wasn't to great until I got my Vamo I could kick up to about 18w..

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
20W is a "bit" on the weak side for any RDA but I suppose the Magma could be alright at 20.

There are no stupid batteries, just stupid people.

Monotremata

Member For 4 Years
20W is a "bit" on the weak side for any RDA but I suppose the Magma could be alright at 20.

Personal preference I guess. I'm hitting my Derringer at 15w and it rules for me. Going higher doesn't improve anything flavorwise. It just eats juice faster.

john velasco

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Is it an MVP2 or the MVP 20W? Big difference. I don't think the MVP2 will fire below 1.2 ohms (can't remember) and it tops out at 11w. My Magma wasn't to great until I got my Vamo I could kick up to about 18w..
I guess its mvp2 cause it goes as high as 11w. I had a mvp 30w but it was faulty so i returned.. i bought the only one they had in stock and the mvp2 and 30w was the same price so i exchanged it.. fml. Whats a good device that will fire with low ohms and have a good amount of wattage? Ive been seeing alot of the eleaf mods. Any opinions on that mod? Im not trying to spend a whole lot on a mod, but will do if worth it. I want to start getting into RDAs, learn about it more and start cloud chasing. I dont want to spend time working with an RDA if my mod wont work well with one. Blah!

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would pick an Istick over MPV any day of the week, they are reliable, the 30W ver has around the same specs as the MPV3 (besides having smaller capacity battery) but is much cheeper, the 50W ver can go higher in watts and volts, lower in ohms, has higher capacity battery and is still cheeper then the MPV3.

Last edited:

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
An iStick 30 or 50 would definitely be a step up from the MVP as far as power and flexibility to build RDAs on goes - I'd go for the 50 for better power, lower resistance handling (0.2 ohm vs. 0.4), and superior battery life (4400 mah vs. 2200). Of course there are plenty of replaceable battery mods that can do even more, but it's a question of whether you want to then buy the batteries and charger...

john velasco

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
An iStick 30 or 50 would definitely be a step up from the MVP as far as power and flexibility to build RDAs on goes - I'd go for the 50 for better power, lower resistance handling (0.2 ohm vs. 0.4), and superior battery life (4400 mah vs. 2200). Of course there are plenty of replaceable battery mods that can do even more, but it's a question of whether you want to then buy the batteries and charger...
Well i started with a vamo v3 till it got stolen.. so i have a charger but idk if itll be compatible with the battery as far as battery operated device i choose to go with, if i take that route..

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What kind of charger is it? Vamos use either 18650 (which most regulated devices use) or 18350s - so you can probably fit your batteries in there, but it's not recommended for fire safety reasons to run anything other than an Xtar, Efest, or Nitecore charger - general quality perception is that Xtar is best, Nitecore the lowest quality level that's still acceptable.

john velasco

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
What kind of charger is it? Vamos use either 18650 (which most regulated devices use) or 18350s - so you can probably fit your batteries in there, but it's not recommended for fire safety reasons to run anything other than an Xtar, Efest, or Nitecore charger - general quality perception is that Xtar is best, Nitecore the lowest quality level that's still acceptable.
I'm not too sure. Ill have to look when i get home. But when i bought it, it came with 2 small batteries. Charged it at 3.7volts? I believe..? Idk

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Those are probably 18350's - the Vamo uses either two of those or one of the more popular 18650. And they should charge to 4.2v, then drain to 3.7 and you recharge.

I'm thinking an iStick 50 is probably going to be your best "next step," and it'll provide plenty of oomph while you learn the nuances of coil building...battery chemistry and safety is a whole 'nother subject.

SandbaggerStew

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So im considering buying an RDA for my mvp 2.0. RDA's is another language to me.. so i was wondering if anyone could recommend an RDA for beginners.
Me too. Saw Rip's review and I'm all about flavor. But at +$120.00, that's WAY out of my price range. Have seen some clones. Any thoughts from all on those?
Thanks

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Doge v2 is cheap and really good. Mutation x v3 is even cheaper at like 25 bucks. Not as good as the doge but still decent imo. If ya have the cash for a good mod a vs dna or an ipv are solid mod series that are good enough that ya wont have to upgrade for a while. Though once ya get into dripping youll probably end up with 20 attys and 15 mods within the year haha

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Though once ya get into dripping youll probably end up with 20 attys and 15 mods within the year haha
He's right you know.
Once you get into RDAs/RTAs and especially if you buy clones, it's a steep slope.
I don't even bother putting my old unused attys in their boxes anymore, I just have a nylon bag with some misc parts.
a31728113d0e27df1522054197909dad.jpg

Last edited:

SandbaggerStew

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Magma. I have a build for you too! 26 gauge Kanthal A1, eight wraps 3mm ID. Single coil should be around one ohm or so and give you nice flavor at 30w.
Hey Rommel...is your Magma a clone or a real one? And if not, does it matter? Can't afford the real deal but no prob on a clone.Don't care about big clouds-flavor chaser here. Love the 26 gauge build !
Thanks

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey Rommel...is your Magma a clone or a real one? And if not, does it matter? Can't afford the real deal but no prob on a clone.Don't care about big clouds-flavor chaser here. Love the 26 gauge build !
Thanks
Clone. I owned an authentic briefly, and i have to say that the Tobeco clone is better.

VU Sponsors