Become a Patron!

Ready wick ( treated xc-116)

Curious about saftey with this one. After a wick has been well used and cleaned it becomes fibrous to the point it will fly into the air. Curious If I should be worried about anything. I love the stuff and would hate to have to find a new wick.... Silica doesnt taste as clean. Cotton to me tastes like im vaping threw a wet tshirt. As of now im only using mesh and xc116.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What it really boils down to is just how much harm reduction you want. Each device, wicking material, and coil medium has it's inherent risks. However, none of those accumulated risks add up to the 5000 (or so) known chemicals in cigarettes.

This was extensively debated on GG forum back in 2012. Fibers were found floating in tanks, made some people cough - will be up to you what you think of it and if you wish to continue using it.

Nextel 312 is an Alumina-Borica-Silica fiber

XC-116-25 $56.25 25 feet, 1/16 inch, Nextel 312 insulation, 1200°C (2200°F) continuous temperature rating

You can buy it here in quantity

http://www.omega.com/pptst/XC_XC4_SLEEVING.html

WiSilverVape

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I feel totally comfortable with Ready-x from RBA Supplies. The stuff rocks and I love it. I wouldn't consider the same product from anywhere else.

Mommay

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I feel totally comfortable with Ready-x from RBA Supplies. The stuff rocks and I love it. I wouldn't consider the same product from anywhere else.

I totally agree. RBA is the ONLY place that heats to over 1800 degrees for over 12 hours. I know there are at least 3 other sources that you can buy from, not including Nextel or other industrial suppliers. BUT, if it's not treated properly, it will shred, flake and you get "floaters". I would rather pay a bit more & know that I'm getting the best quality & I'm not going to be sucking up my wick.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I have never tried it myself but I do see your point of concern.

I have had great success with Ramie fiber and I feel comfortable that it is organic and if some dust or whatever makes it into my lungs (not particulary worried about it anyway) the body will have a mechanism to deal with getting rid of it?

Mommay

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Uncle, LOL, as long as I smoked, a few floaters are a non-issue. But, I don't like feeling it in the top of my throat - that's why I stopped using much cotton... Cotton mouth.... :eek: I haven't tried ramie, but hemp works pretty fine. But, boy, that ReadyXWick is trouble free, once it's in there proper.

Ellipsis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Curious about saftey with this one. After a wick has been well used and cleaned it becomes fibrous to the point it will fly into the air. Curious If I should be worried about anything. I love the stuff and would hate to have to find a new wick.... Silica doesnt taste as clean. Cotton to me tastes like im vaping threw a wet tshirt. As of now im only using mesh and xc116.
hey complexed... you mentioned "well used"...
that being said...the rba supplies readyxwick will start to break down after multiple times of being torched at high temps and should be discarded and a new wick re-installed..
usually happened to me at the 3 mo. mark, torching clean when the vape starts to taste different, i would say around 5 cleanings with a high temp torch and the wick starts to break down and needs replaced...
i seem to get better longevity if i rinse the wick first and then apply the torch till there is no visible steam...
wick seems to last around 5 mo.'s before it stiffens noticably and starts to break down...
i would strongly suggest if you are using anything else other than jeromy's readyxwick, give his a shot, his treatment is far superior to anyone elses out there
hope this helps
as an aside ...are you the same "comlexed" from e-cig advanced
dont have to say if you dont want to...was just curious...

VU Sponsors