Become a Patron!

RDA

Weirdvapenj

Member For 4 Years
So I Have been vamping for a couple of years now but recently switched to an RDA. I have a couple of questions? How often should you change your cotton? How often should you change coils or clean them?

cvcrcr99

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Everyone has a different mindset when it comes to the question of when to change out cotton. I change mine out whenever the cotton turns a golden brown type color. After multiple uses, the cotton burns slightly, and not all juice is vaped each time you redrip. This causes the discoloration. After a few times, you'll know when you want to change out the cotton. I recently sold my ipv and crown tank set up which left me with a mechanical mod and a RDA to use for 3 weeks. After daily use, I started changing my cotton out every 4-5 days. Some others change out cotton every time they change flavors.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
You'll know by the appearance of the coil if it's time to clean/burn it off. With the cotton, as said above, that's up to you, but if it's funky tasting, change it. Quick fix in RDA

Weirdvapenj

Member For 4 Years
Thanks guys! Well one more question I heard you can take your cotton out burn the coils and rinse under warm water and the coil is clean. Is that correct is there a different way to clean it to instead of changing it

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks guys! Well one more question I heard you can take your cotton out burn the coils and rinse under warm water and the coil is clean. Is that correct is there a different way to clean it to instead of changing it
This i what I do to clean coils. Works for me.

Also, for changing cotton, I go by taste. Once it tastes "off" I change it. Usually gets a little caramel like, but not in a good way.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
A small brass brush helps to get any especially nasty buildup that resists burning off and can give your build that New Coil look. But wait, there's more.....
713b.jpg

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
A small brass brush helps to get any especially nasty buildup that resists burning off and can give your build that New Coil look. But wait, there's more.....
713b.jpg
I do this, then rinse. Just be sure to take the base off your mod!!

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So I Have been vamping for a couple of years now but recently switched to an RDA. I have a couple of questions? How often should you change your cotton? How often should you change coils or clean them?
Have you tried Cellucotton?....seems to last much longer, not as prone to burning, zero taste of cotton.

And it really cheap....I bought 500 feet for 12 bucks....Graham Cellucotton.

cvcrcr99

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Yep, it's called dry burning.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Have you tried Cellucotton?....seems to last much longer, not as prone to burning, zero taste of cotton.

And it really cheap....I bought 500 feet for 12 bucks....Graham Cellucotton.

A guy over at eliq recipes sent me a bag of cellucotton, but this stuff is specifically rayon. Apparently there are 2 types of the cellucotton and the only real way to tell is the sku #. Anyways, the stuff really wicks well and lasts a long time. It is a little hard to use as it is real fluffy, but once in there it performs better than any cotton I have tried ie; muji, kgd, cotton bacon, native wicks, other mystery japanese organic, medical cotton, and whatever else I'm forgetting. Sometimes I use cotton when I don't feel like dealing with the rayon, but have to admit that the rayon cellucotton works better.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Rayon!! Love it. I've tried several cottons, myself, and always go back to rayon.

SgtRock

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Been through the cotton stuff..Been stuck on Rayon for about a year and love it. I have no need to look any farther.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been using rayon for years - love it!

I must get a wire brush - I use an old toothbrush, which isn't as good!

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I generally just dry burn between each wicking, re-wicking as the others said when the taste goes funky or it looks visibly burnt (browning can be the juice color, but if it's dark it's burning). I'll typically just dry burn right after I pull the wicks out get a nice glow a few times and that has them clean enough. I'll only pull the brush out and rinse them if I notice it's looking especially dirty, which will be once every few re-wicks usually.

As for changing coils, when it goes brown or tastes funky... just like the wick actually. The coil will darken with the heat but when it looks like it's rusty, that's the brown I'm talking about, that's when I say it's time for a new coil. Personally though I usually redo a coil just for funsies before I have to. With half decent wire I'd expect a coil to last at least 3 weeks and wick 3-6 days.

VU Sponsors