Become a Patron!

RDA vs Tanks

crazysgt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just started running RDAs. Always used tanks like Kangers Subtank mini, and Smok TFV4 mini. Also recently noticed using the same juice, the RDA taste-wise is much stronger than my tank no matter on mech or vw mods. Is this that I need to run the wattage much higher on the vw mod? RDA is 0.17 ohm. Tank is 0.34 ohm. Thoughts?

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not really. Yes turning up the Wattage may enhance the flavor of some of your juices, but most juices will taste better in an RDA. Although flavor is very subjective, I believe most vapors have come to the general consensus that RDA's are more flavorful than tanks (granted there can be exceptions). I believe this is mostly due to the fact of coil building possibilities. Most tanks come with pre-built coils, most of which are pretty basic in design (single spaced coils/parallel coils), and the tanks that come with re-buildable sections (RBA/RDTA) are usually too small to build effective coils or require very small gauge wires. As a result, most tanks just can't house coils big enough like an RDA can, as most coils designed specifically for flavor are of the larger variety. That being said, there's numerous things that affect flavor (wicking/airflow/coils/temp) that could be leading to the noticeable difference in your vape.

BillW50

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Interesting... I build the exact same coil design in my Subtanks and my Mutation XL v3. Both single coil, 28 AWG @ about 8 wraps around 3mm screwdriver. So the same coil in either. But I can easily get 450ºF on a Subtank at 10 watts, but on the Mutation it takes at least 35 watts to even get close to 450ºF with the same coil. Sure the flavor is usually better on the Mutation, but it also takes far more power to pull it off.

decisively_unsure

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It is because there is a lot more metal / surface area in the Mutation that acts as a heatsink.

You can get great flavour from a tank, but the "best" flavour comes from a properly build RDA.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
RDA's are generally just more tasty. I'd put that mostly on the coil size and the lack of a chimney. You're taking it in right off the coil.

I will say I have this Haze Dripper Tank, and it seems like the best middle ground. I'd love if I could find a larger one, maybe with better posts. It's just a dripper with a tank below it that you can shove the wick into, pretty basic idea but I haven't seen anything else like it unfortunately.

BillW50

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@decisively_unsure: Yup, that was my thoughts as well. Almost a year ago, I purposely left off the top part of the RBA of a Subtank to see if it would function well as a RDA. Just drip through the drip tip. It actually works, but the flavor wasn't anything to write home about.

BillW50

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@JERUS: UD AGI was the first one that I remember that worked like this. I actually have two of them and one I never used. It is a pretty cool idea and if you unscrew the dripper part from the tank, you can use the dripper part alone. Flavor wasn't that great in tank mode, but I used a cotton wick when most were using screens with them.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It is because there is a lot more metal / surface area in the Mutation that acts as a heatsink.

You can get great flavour from a tank, but the "best" flavour comes from a properly build RDA.
correction..the best flavor comes from a properly built genny.

crazysgt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reason I bring this up is I have the Smok TFV4 mini with clapton coils, at first seemed to have good flavor. But now with my plume veil rda, so much more flavor. Im not sure if I just started with the tank and THOUGHT the flavor was good, and now with the rda it blows away all tanks I have.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
uuuuuuuhhhh Yep....the sub-ohm tanks were created to allow lazy stupid people the ability to blow big clouds without having to bother learning...battery saftey,coil building,ohm's law,or how to wick a coil....later drippers started using them on occasion as they replecated a sub ohm vape, but were much more convenient....they could vape while driving, most people who know how to build an RDA use them at home.

RDA's are generally just more tasty. I'd put that mostly on the coil size and the lack of a chimney. You're taking it in right off the coil.

I will say I have this Haze Dripper Tank, and it seems like the best middle ground. I'd love if I could find a larger one, maybe with better posts. It's just a dripper with a tank below it that you can shove the wick into, pretty basic idea but I haven't seen anything else like it unfortunately.

What your speaking about reminds me what my friends and I used to do to genny tanks: we would turn them into auto-drippers by building mico-coils on the posts, and position the cotton wicks through the coils so they cover the holes where the screen mesh usually goes through into the tank. We would invert the atty on the mod, wait a second for the wick to saturate, then vape. Rinse, repeat.

Just my 2 cents.
Don't really do that anymore. Had it on my Kraken tank. Now I just stick to the dripper Mutation XS and the Smok TFV4.

Sent using Tapatalk

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah I saw the Genny stuff, but ehh not quite what I was thinking. I just want this Haze Dripper style setup but with a Velocity deck

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
bullshit.
I remember before vaping on a genny was the shit, having a t2 myself. Theres a reason no one talks about it anymore with exception a handful of fanboy loyalists, also a reason rdas are everywhere. This is beyond my opinion or yours, its evident everywhere. Genesis style vaping is a dead art with a nostalgic few clinging on for dear life with the same weak arguement of it being superior on flavor when its just not the case.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I remember before vaping on a genny was the shit, having a t2 myself. Theres a reason no one talks about it anymore with exception a handful of fanboy loyalists, also a reason rdas are everywhere. This is beyond my opinion or yours, its evident everywhere. Genesis style vaping is a dead art with a nostalgic few clinging on for dear life with the same weak arguement of it being superior on flavor when its just not the case.

an aga-t2 ,my my why you're a regular genhead ain't you....LOL so your experince extends to a 25 dollar chinese piece of shit.,......the reasons rda are and have always been popular is because they are EASY to build, they are EASY to change out wicks, because you can blow big clouds, not because of the flavor they deliver.....the same reason sub-ohm tanks are popular they are EASY to change out coil heads.not because they are superior in flavor.
Mc Donalds sells billions of crap...it proves nothing ,but that most people are cheap and lazy and don't have the pallette of a horses ass.
The only thing that will rival a genny for flavor may be when they perfect the ceramic coil head in sub-ohm tanks.
When they can produce a ceramic coil head for tanks that they will share with how safe the material is, will be the day I give up gennys..enjoy sucking on your throw pillows and sofa stuffing.

Last edited:

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
an aga-t2 ,my my why you're a regular genhead ain't you....LOL so your experince extends to a 25 dollar chinese piece of shit.,......the reasons rda are and have always been popular is because they are EASY to build, they are EASY to change out wicks, because you can blow big clouds, not because of the flavor they deliver.....the same reason sub-ohm tanks are popular they are EASY to change out coil heads.not because they are superior in flavor.
Mc Donalds sells billions of crap...it proves nothing ,but that most people are cheap and lazy and don't have the pallette of a horses ass.
The only thing that will rival a genny for flavor may be when they perfect the ceramic coil head in sub-ohm tanks.
When they can produce a ceramic coil head for tanks that they will share with how safe the material is, will be the day I give up gennys..enjoy sucking on your throw pillows and sofa stuffing.
Gennys arent as complicated to build on as people like to make them out to me, theyre an inferior vaping device, an antique at best. Thats like movie buffs stuck on 50s. Youre a fanboy, plain and simple.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Gennys arent as complicated to build on as people like to make them out to me, theyre an inferior vaping device, an antique at best. Thats like movie buffs stuck on 50s. Youre a fanboy, plain and simple.

you're a stupid fuck plain and simple....aga t2.....LOL...yeah I'm gonna listen to your opinion...what do you drip with an IGO-L

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
you're a stupid fuck plain and simple....aga t2.....LOL...yeah I'm gonna listen to your opinion...what do you drip with an IGO-L
An igo would be better than a genny, fanboy.

Al Day Vape

Member For 4 Years
uuuuuuuhhhh Yep....the sub-ohm tanks were created to allow lazy stupid people the ability to blow big clouds without having to bother learning...battery saftey,coil building,ohm's law,or how to wick a coil....later drippers started using them on occasion as they replecated a sub ohm vape, but were much more convenient....they could vape while driving, most people who know how to build an RDA use them at home.
Really dude? Why can't people just use what they like and you use what you like without the need for insults? Are people lazy and stupid for using calculators? Power steering? The internet?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Really dude? Why can't people just use what they like and you use what you like without the need for insults? Are people lazy and stupid for using calculators? Power steering? The internet?

This dude reminds of Clint Eastwood in that movie where he lives in an asian neighborhood.

Deeks

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like when he calls the sub tanks McNugget tanks, that makes me laugh! I don't use sub ohm tanks or mcnuggets so I have no dog in that fight but it is a funny statement.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I bet he's the old man in pawn stars

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I am not saying that everybody who uses them are stupid and lazy, and I expect they are going to get better and better.....what I am saying is they were developed to fill a niche....they were developed for that market who used to bring their drippers into their local B&M to have the guy behind the counter do builds for them....so they could screw in a head a nd blow fat clouds like somebody that actually took the time and energy to learn how to build...that was their target market.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Grumpy old men.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Each has their place in my daily vape..been building RDA's for years to use on my mechs...then came the subtanks and high powered VW mods to run them on...today I like to drip on a .25 dual coil Nichrome build when at home..nothing like a RDA for pure vaping pleasure..but when I'm too lazy to drip or watching a football game I like subtanks to go along with my beer and chips..Best tanks I like are the Crown and recently the TFV4, clouds and flavor that rivals my best RDA's.
So like I stated above, I like both RDA's and subtanks...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How long do the coils last on the TFV4? Sounds beastly.

4dc9bee095e8d17dc7388e49da7581c0.jpg

I'm getting about 2-3 weeks vaping the triple coil at 75w...not too bad, but this tank is a juice hog, lol

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wow thata a long time for a coil head.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow thata a long time for a coil head.

Yeah, but I learned not to use dark, surgery juices that gunk up a coil in just a few tanks...Clear 100% VG goes into my tanks, and I vape a couple different mods in rotation, with different flavors, that helps prolong coil life..coils for the TFV4 are pricy, and I'm gonna try a build in the RBA deck that came with the kit..

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was thinking that too!

Since we are talking about coil life I also get about 2 weeks average on the .25 Crown coils seen here on the far right,
vaping clear flavors (100% VG) at about 60-62w... and rotating between mods in my daily vape not only prolongs coil life but helps prevent flavor burnout, vaping the same mod/coil/flavor all day long...being on a tight vaping budget I do what I can to get the best from expendables like coils, lol
29fbcccee58c1ec3263f49388ba1b1a8.jpg

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Using some of the most awesome old people as attempted insults? o_O Maybe not the Pawn Stars guy but Burgess Meredith, Walter Matthau, Jack Lemmon and Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino are just gold. Not that I want to get involved in that argument, but this had to be said :p

Anyways, I came across exactly what I was asking for today, or at least very close. http://www.3fvape.com/rebuildable-a...ampaign=2016&utm_content=edmmp18#.VoQG2fkrKUl

Question is, do I buy it? quite happy with what I have right now but that looks pretty cool.

As for TFv4 coilheads, it's not a time thing it's a juice thing with coils, but 50mL+ in the quad coil at least, I've put that through one and no noticeable wear. My Triple coil burned out quick because I used a killer juice so I won't claim a duration on that. I use mainly the RBAs though. The coils seem to have a pretty hefty lifespan though.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

One of my favorite movie scenes ever.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have noticed tanks are simply tasting better now days with all the improvements so forget dripping to me it is just a waste of time to drip and the flavors don't seem as good as tanks. Now at one time the drippers were better but not much anymore.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Cloud Fishbone Plus. I was going to give one a shot. Only problem is they have this big ol' ceramic "tub" lining the deck well. Ceramic is very frangible. It cracks/shatters/fractures/breaks easily. And, in fact, whomever was doing the review I watched broke his in the process of doing the review.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
But now with my plume veil rda, so much more flavor. Im not sure if I just started with the tank and THOUGHT the flavor was good, and now with the rda it blows away all tanks I have.
I've a Plume Veil clone. It is nice, but my Marquis clone is even better. (Running both in single-coil atm.)

OTOH: My Billow v2 Nano produces very dense, very flavourful vapor. But it's not an A:B comparison, as it's running dual-coil.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Using some of the most awesome old people as attempted insults? o_O Maybe not the Pawn Stars guy but Burgess Meredith, Walter Matthau, Jack Lemmon and Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino are just gold. Not that I want to get involved in that argument, but this had to be said

Theres a difference between an old guy everyone can love and respect like our fathers or grandfathers or people we can encounter in our lives that have something to offer the world and old assholes that hate everything and oppose everything they dislike and shit on change and whatever may think different with insults and just plain rudeness.... thats where i was going with that. Clint eastwood is great, i was talking about his asian hating character in that movie.....

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have noticed tanks are simply tasting better now days with all the improvements so forget dripping to me it is just a waste of time to drip and the flavors don't seem as good as tanks. Now at one time the drippers were better but not much anymore.
Agreed, but when I'm in the mood to blow some serious clouds its hard to beat a good RDA..
4bfa1df37f0c6032650657776411603a.jpg

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Theres a difference between an old guy everyone can love and respect like our fathers or grandfathers or people we can encounter in our lives that have something to offer the world and old assholes that hate everything and oppose everything they dislike and shit on change and whatever may think different with insults and just plain rudeness.... thats where i was going with that. Clint eastwood is great, i was talking about his asian hating character in that movie.....

Justin-Bieber-Instagram.JPG
Thanks for your advice about the aga t2 Justin...I love your music by the way.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Bucket list

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have been using ti in temp and have found even better flavor. I do improve the rebuildable tanks with larger holes for the cotton so they keep up better and it helps for flavor and clouds.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

You mean the asian hating character that gets himself killed to save the neighborhood from the negative influence of the gang life?

He was playing the typical anti-hero role he always does. Rough exterior but when it comes down to it he goes above and beyond to do the right thing. He may be a crotchety old racist, but he still valued individuals.

I'm with you in that there are plenty of just grumpy dicks out there, but I think you need to watch that movie again.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm getting about 2-3 weeks vaping the triple coil at 75w...not too bad, but this tank is a juice hog, lol

The tricoil is easy to rebuild BTW. Once you get it apart that is. The outer cover is press fitted over the threaded base. A few caresses with a torch, and it will come off. Flare the botton by tapping it over an appropiate sized socket, and it can be rebuilt over and over. Mine has 26 gauge SS coils in it now.

crazysgt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The dual claptons in my TFV4 mini lasts about 3 weeks. Then, I just soak them in vodka for a bit, then clean water. Let dry, juice back up and vape on!

VU Sponsors