Become a Patron!

RDA storage

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Might be a stupid question but here it goes. For someone putting their RDA aside for any considerable time or for those that have a bunch of them. Whats the best way to store them? More specifically should I remove the saturated cotton and clean them before putting them away? Should I leave the coils in or remove them? leave it all as is or take all apart? Might be silly but would they rust if you just left it wet for weeks or months? Lol I think these are valid concerns :)

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Might be a stupid question but here it goes. For someone putting their RDA aside for any considerable time or for those that have a bunch of them. Whats the best way to store them? More specifically should I remove the saturated cotton and clean them before putting them away? Should I leave the coils in or remove them? leave it all as is or take all apart? Might be silly but would they rust if you just left it wet for weeks or months? Lol I think these are valid concerns :)
As someone that puts away a lot of gear I can tell you what I do. I break down the whole atomizer. I remove the cotton. I run all the parts through my UC. I dry everything off and then I store it in the box that it came in. I almost always leave the build in there so when I want to go back to it all I have to do is rewick.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

EMusic

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
As someone that puts away a lot of gear I can tell you what I do. I break down the whole atomizer. I remove the cotton. I run all the parts through my UC. I dry everything off and then I store it in the box that it came in. I almost always leave the build in there so when I want to go back to it all I have to do is rewick.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk
I second this post.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I vape off what juice I have on the wicks at the time, then remove the wicking, dry burn off the coils, rinse the deck, coils, and top cap, then let them dry or dry them off and set them aside leaving the coils intact. Some juices can be a bit acidic so can lead to corrosion, thus vaping the juice off and thoroughly cleaning them and rinsing them off. If you are not going to use an RDA immediately, or going to take breaks from the RDA, never store an RDA, especially with wicking still installed, with saturated juice in the wicking as even overnight a corrosive juice (citrus flavors, hot cinnamons, there are a whole list of them) can eat away at the metal of the RDA deck and especially the coils wires as the wires a far more softer than the RDA itself.

aeon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm going to get an atomizer rack from jwraps, the current situation is :wait:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I take the cotton out since it's going to be useless after only a few days of sitting anyway then dry burn the coils a little to get the gunk off or loose and run the coils under the sink to get the rest off.

I have an old toothbrush that I use to scrub the coils off then I wet them down one more time and dry burn them one last time but just enough to heat them a little to dry the water off of them.

Then I have a rack/stand similar to this that I put them on until it's time to use them again.

www.ebay.com/itm/TANK-STAND-vape-22mm-23mm-24mm-25mm-COLORS-holder-storage-rack-tray-atty-rda-rba-/252764677845

I have a separate rack for 22mm and 24mm RDA's

You can find many different style racks like this on eBay for pretty cheap or you can choose to get a mod / RDA / Battery rack from a site like Jwraps.
I have one that I won a couple years ago but it's more or less a junk rack because once you buy one they are not customizable.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

Also the only reason that I do not remove my coils (unless they are really old) is because I used to do it every time but after the 3rd or 4th time I went back to that particular RDA less than a week later I felt stupid for wasting a set of Aliens or Staggered fused claptons when I could have just left them in there for later use.

You should inspect them for any corrosion when you do go back to use the RDA again and even give them a light dry burn and cleaning before rewicking them.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Been taking out wick (cotton/rayon) then, storing them in old pill bottles when i swap out RDAs for current use. Of course, I'm kind of cheap and utilitarian, pill bottles just are handy despite a desire they not be. Got to love growing older & being faced with mortality. Brings the suck to a whole new level.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I like to use child safety, plastic flip top pill bottles. If I am storing long term, I just remove the cotton, dry fire or replace the coil, and its ready to go.
As for rust.. not likely unless wash the atomizer and put it away wet. Remember.. no water in vape juice (or so little that it evaporates very quickly anyway)
if you figure the water is in your flavor concentrate, which is mostly Pg or VG anyway.. and you might use 10% flavoring in 100ml of ejuice, that is 10ml flavoring. of that, maybe 10% is water..that is 20 drops per 100ml ejuice.. not take that and figure how much water might be in your wick.. (I get about 6 puffs per 1ml painting, so... not much, if any water. No water = no rust.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
The ATTYEDGE METALLIC has peaked my interest. :)

aeon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
VapeNutt Attybar 82 in White Ash, ordered! :)

VU Sponsors