Become a Patron!

RDA Flavor Loss

CodyRC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I bought a new RDA yesterday and I feel like the flavor that I was getting yesterday just isn't there today. This is my first RDA so I'm not sure if this is a sign that I need to do a new build already, or maybe even just change the wicking? I haven't had a whole lot of time to use it since I bought it so it seems kind of sudden to me that this would be the case, but then again I don't know. I just don't want to run through all my juice without getting the most out of the flavor. Any advice?

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I'd change out the wicking.. and give your coils a dry burn.. should help..
I change my cotton out a few times a day.. but i go thru many different juices too..

if that won't work.. post back up! :)

NightOwl

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you coil isn't dirty and the wick seems pretty much intact and not burnt, check the following:

Depends what you are vaping on, but if it's a mechanical, your batteries could be lower than they were yesterday.

Also make sure your screws are snug, perhaps they have wiggled loose.

Check the air flow, is there is adequate airflow around the coil and the RDA air holes line up near the coil. .

CodyRC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When I bought my RDA, I had the shop do my first build. They used cotton and unfortunately I do not have any cotton readily available at the moment. I did not realize that I would have to be re-wicking so often. I am going to pick up all of the essentials that I will need to do start building on my own. My RDA came with, what I believe are Silica wicks, already pre-wrapped. I'm not sure what gauge of wire they are pre-wrapped in, but definitely way smaller than what the shop used to do my first build. I took out the cotton build that was reading 0.6 ohms (I'm using the istick 50watt from eleaf) and tried putting the pre-wrapped silica wicks in the same way that I took out the wrapped cotton. My mod read the ohms @ 1.3 and I fired it and everything looked good. The coils on both sides turned red simultaneously. I dripped and took a draw, but it tasted off. I took the cap off and fired it to see what was going on. The coils weren't turning red simultaneously anymore. Only partially turning red, but not the center. I tried adjusting the coils and eventually while testing to see if they were doing what they were supposed to be doing, a small flame ignited. I took out the whole build and threw it away. I am going to use my Delta 2 tank until I can get to the shop in town to buy more material. The shop in town is smaller than the one I went to out in the city and the staff is not very knowledgeable comparatively. It's a piercing place that also sells vaporizers, juices, and everything one would need for RDAs. Only the woman running it knows nothing about RDAs. Does any one know a solid web-site or youtube video to learn how to do a solid build for a beginner? I'm using a Mutilator. It has the dual coil set-up (I believe, but I am not sure if that is correct, I know you don't have to run the wires through one hole, but it has two holes for two separate wires, I think the shop said a double positive. I was advised it was a good deck to learn on.) All advice greatly appreciated. I know nobody who is already doing this, I am basically learning the art on my own, apart from the vaping community here on Vaping Underground. Thanks guys and gals.

NightOwl

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Starting with a dual coil, doubles the challenge because your coil resistance, coil build, wicks, and coil placement (parallel, same height, etc.) have to match. With a single, you just need a solid build that doesn't short. If your RDA does both, start with one.

I highly recommend Japanese cotton. It wicks consistently, is fairly long lasting, has no aftertaste, and is extremely easy to work with.

I got mine on Amazon . http://www.amazon.com/Koh-Gen-Do-Organic-Cotton/dp/B00NU3H3KE
You can build with any cotton though, so you don't have to wait for it to start using your new RDA.

If you search for double coil build on Youtube, you should find plenty of examples. You'll learn something from most of them, even if the atty doesn't match exactly.

CodyRC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Okay, so I wasn't sure if double coil was the correct term that I was looking for, and after your post I know that it wasn't. I basically am trying to say that my deck has four holes to run the wires from the coils through, instead of some that I think may only have 3? The shop I have available in town sells Japanese organic cotton and I have done enough reading that it has interested me the most out of the available wicking materials. I am going to try putting the original build with the cotton back in though. It does not look burnt or anything so I am going to try tightening everything to see if that works better. If not, I'll charge my battery tonight and try it again tomorrow. I am using an Istick 50watt by eleaf for the mod.

NightOwl

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dual coil just means two separate coils. Three holes means the positive in the middle ends up with the positive wire from both coils going through the same hole in opposite directions. Four holes gives each positive wire it's own hole on the positive post. 3 hole or 4 hole, they are both dual coils.

I don't think it could be the batteries or the eleaf would tell you or not fire at all.

Screws should be snug, but not over tightened or you'll cut the wires. Make sure none of the extra wire or coil touches the cap when you put it on.

Good luck.

Last edited:

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
Just FYI, you will have different flavor from cotton wicks than you will from silica. If a cotton wick catches on fire, throw it away, but if a silica wick catches on fire, just blow it out and keep on vaping. Silica will not burn like cotton does, in fact I use silica in my drippers (RDAs), precisely because I can burn the gunk off of the and then put in a new flavor without re-wicking.

It will take time and experimentation to get it right, good luck with it!

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
@CodyRC do a Google search for "Rip Tripper coil build". He has some good and entertaining tutorials on various coil builds.
Make sure to switch between 3-4 different juices, in order to avoid "vapor's tongue", the inability to taste a flavor.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yup...welcome to the wonderful world of RDA's...I know it seems kinda overwhelming at first but when you get the basic's down it gets easier quickly in time. I must say you're brave...I never use the premade coils that come with attys....usually they have hotspots or short and even if they work right they always taste horrible....I salute your bravery good sir :)

One thing I cannot stress enough is to get an ohm's reader ASAP if you are going to build. I know the Istick tells you resistance but it's best to check it against a dedicated ohm's reader that reads at least 2 decimal places out to be safe....that should be the first thing on your shopping list if you're going to rebuild. Secondly...I know it seems kinda gimmickly but if the shop you go to has it get a bag of Cotton Bacon....I've used organic cotton balls, I have a huge box of Go Ken Do Japanese cotton as well and I still recommend that little 6 dollar bag of Cotton Bacon to every new builder. I bought three bags of it back in July and I am just getting into my second bag. It comes clean and ready to use, no boiling required, has a very clean taste, and the strips are super easy to put apart to size and trim into wicks.

Just because your flavor got slightly muted doesn't nessicarily mean your cotton is bad. It comes down to how much you've vaped, what kind of liquid you're vaping with, if you let your wick get too dry and sindged it a little....things happen. If it's still working than use it for the meantime...just be very careful putting that coil back it, if you don't have a good secure connection your Istick might read it as a short and it won't fire. Like others said above...youtube google rebuilding videos so you can see how other's do it....there's probably videos specific to your atty available by now. Many people know I can fill up a page giving you building recommendations but I'll keep it simple. You should start out with 26-28 gauge wire with an Istick....especially with a regulated mod like that...there is no need to build a super low resistance build as your device controls your wattage a higher resistance build is better and 26 and 28 gauge are good ones to start working with. Pay careful attention to the wicking in the videos...wicking is a finess art that is tricky and takes a few tries to get it right. When you pull your cotton threw the wick you want just enough so you have a slight resistance pulling it threw. If you're pulling your cotton threw and it's tugging at the coil trying to pull it with the wick you have too much. When you have a lot of wick like that it gets "choked" at the coil and it cannot wick properly and you'll end up with dry hits and burning the cotton inside the coil....By the same token, if you go to pull your cotton threw and it just slips right threw with no resistance at all you have too little and when you go to fire your coil it will cause the cotton to collapse inside your coil and since your wick is only touching the bottom part then you again will get bad wicking and burn your cotton out.

As was said before, try building a single coil first and then once you're comfortable with that then try building dual coils. I recommend starting wrapping coils around a 2.4 and a 3 or 3.2 mm drill bit both....either is good for 26 gauge. Start with a simple 7 wrap microcoil like in a video....this will give you a baseline to establish what is a good build for you and you can go from there...if you like the bigger or smaller drill bit, you want an extra wrap or take one back. It's a starting place to work from....cotton and Kanthal wire is cheap, wrap, wrap, and wrap again till you feel like you've got it good. :)

Never fire a dry cotton wick, it will instantly burn....and once you've saturated a cotton wick with e-liquid you'll never completely get the taste of that first liquid out. When you're just starting out vaping "vapor's tounge" more known as "vapor's fatigue" happens to all of us with in the first month or two of vaping and after a short period of time it will pass...it's where you can't taste your vape anymore. A good way to shorten or avoid this is to rotate flavors regularly as mentioned above...each time you wanna drip a different flavor...unless you like the taste of the two flavors blending you'll have to pull your wick out, pulse the coil to burn the juice remenants away and put a fresh wick in your build. Once you get the hand of wicking and it clicks, this will be no big deal at all.

Between youtube and all the beginner threads here on the forum there is a wealth of information to get you going...if you can't find the answer you seek ask sooner than later...we're all happy to help when we can and I would rather answer the same questions over and over and have things go right for you than not....

Everyone above has given you good advice...I just wanted to add my two cents and an extra nickel more...Best of luck to you and happy vaping!

CodyRC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yup...welcome to the wonderful world of RDA's...I know it seems kinda overwhelming at first but when you get the basic's down it gets easier quickly in time. I must say you're brave...I never use the premade coils that come with attys....usually they have hotspots or short and even if they work right they always taste horrible....I salute your bravery good sir :)

One thing I cannot stress enough is to get an ohm's reader ASAP if you are going to build. I know the Istick tells you resistance but it's best to check it against a dedicated ohm's reader that reads at least 2 decimal places out to be safe....that should be the first thing on your shopping list if you're going to rebuild. Secondly...I know it seems kinda gimmickly but if the shop you go to has it get a bag of Cotton Bacon....I've used organic cotton balls, I have a huge box of Go Ken Do Japanese cotton as well and I still recommend that little 6 dollar bag of Cotton Bacon to every new builder. I bought three bags of it back in July and I am just getting into my second bag. It comes clean and ready to use, no boiling required, has a very clean taste, and the strips are super easy to put apart to size and trim into wicks.

Just because your flavor got slightly muted doesn't nessicarily mean your cotton is bad. It comes down to how much you've vaped, what kind of liquid you're vaping with, if you let your wick get too dry and sindged it a little....things happen. If it's still working than use it for the meantime...just be very careful putting that coil back it, if you don't have a good secure connection your Istick might read it as a short and it won't fire. Like others said above...youtube google rebuilding videos so you can see how other's do it....there's probably videos specific to your atty available by now. Many people know I can fill up a page giving you building recommendations but I'll keep it simple. You should start out with 26-28 gauge wire with an Istick....especially with a regulated mod like that...there is no need to build a super low resistance build as your device controls your wattage a higher resistance build is better and 26 and 28 gauge are good ones to start working with. Pay careful attention to the wicking in the videos...wicking is a finess art that is tricky and takes a few tries to get it right. When you pull your cotton threw the wick you want just enough so you have a slight resistance pulling it threw. If you're pulling your cotton threw and it's tugging at the coil trying to pull it with the wick you have too much. When you have a lot of wick like that it gets "choked" at the coil and it cannot wick properly and you'll end up with dry hits and burning the cotton inside the coil....By the same token, if you go to pull your cotton threw and it just slips right threw with no resistance at all you have too little and when you go to fire your coil it will cause the cotton to collapse inside your coil and since your wick is only touching the bottom part then you again will get bad wicking and burn your cotton out.

As was said before, try building a single coil first and then once you're comfortable with that then try building dual coils. I recommend starting wrapping coils around a 2.4 and a 3 or 3.2 mm drill bit both....either is good for 26 gauge. Start with a simple 7 wrap microcoil like in a video....this will give you a baseline to establish what is a good build for you and you can go from there...if you like the bigger or smaller drill bit, you want an extra wrap or take one back. It's a starting place to work from....cotton and Kanthal wire is cheap, wrap, wrap, and wrap again till you feel like you've got it good. :)

Never fire a dry cotton wick, it will instantly burn....and once you've saturated a cotton wick with e-liquid you'll never completely get the taste of that first liquid out. When you're just starting out vaping "vapor's tounge" more known as "vapor's fatigue" happens to all of us with in the first month or two of vaping and after a short period of time it will pass...it's where you can't taste your vape anymore. A good way to shorten or avoid this is to rotate flavors regularly as mentioned above...each time you wanna drip a different flavor...unless you like the taste of the two flavors blending you'll have to pull your wick out, pulse the coil to burn the juice remenants away and put a fresh wick in your build. Once you get the hand of wicking and it clicks, this will be no big deal at all.

Between youtube and all the beginner threads here on the forum there is a wealth of information to get you going...if you can't find the answer you seek ask sooner than later...we're all happy to help when we can and I would rather answer the same questions over and over and have things go right for you than not....

Everyone above has given you good advice...I just wanted to add my two cents and an extra nickel more...Best of luck to you and happy vaping!

CodyRC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you, I have been too busy to start on any of this. I can't wait until I get the chance, possibly tomorrow. I had to start working on the next schedule for work today and ended up covering a shift. Back to work in the morning, will get my materials after work, and if all goes well, I'll have time to work on my RDA if I get the schedule finished. Appreciate all the help guys, and I super appreciate the great detail that has been entailed. Love this forum. Glad to be apart of the community.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Also make sure your screws are snug, perhaps they have wiggled loose.
This is exactly what i was going to say. Be careful not to tighten it down so hard that you clip the wire, but the screws should be very snug. If they're even a little loose then you'll definitely notice something is off with the vape quality. I had an atty where i had to tighten it down a few times a day after putting a fresh build on it. Yours may be doing the same. Could also be build up on the coils. Some juices build up faster than others. Some coils taste/vape better after a couple hours of break in time, some coils go to shit. I doubt it's the cotton UNLESS you've happened to have burned it (a couple bad dry hits can do that sometimes) but i wouldn't look to the cotton. My experience is making me say it's probably the screws on the posts. Hope you get to the bottom of it! Good luck :p

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If his screws were loose his ohms will be jumping all over, and his istick would hit really hard. He would notice that. Probably a burnt wick. Time to replace it.

Diesel Weasel

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
There's really not much I can say that hasn't already been said, Madmonkey covered it all! I would like to second his recommendation of Cotton Bacon. I have used silica, Japanese organic cotton, ReadyxWick, and Cotton Bacon. Time and time again I go back to cotton bacon! I find it the easiest to work with and it lasts for eons. I bought a bag around Christmas and between my boyfriend and I we've used maybe 3 pieces. Maybe. I keep all the scraps from it and use them if I need a little more cotton here or there. It's actually very easy to get equal size wicks as well. I wish you the best of luck! Rebuilding can be time intensive at times but I find it very calming in an ocd sort of way.

CodyRC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
10268518_366267360245539_6018994632614273970_n.jpg
The Station

&

10995988_366267363578872_2933665028859447196_n.jpg
The first build

It reads 1.2 ohms & although I think I may need to wick with more cotton, it does hit just fine. First time, wrapped the coils and everything myself. Forgot to get a drill bit & couldn't get back out so I used a nail. It's ghetto, but it worked. I do plan on getting better. lol 28 gauge kanthal vapowire. I did use a digital ohmmeter, but can't remember the exact ohm reading. What do you guys think?

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Looks like it takes a few seconds to heat up. Coils look clean though, good job.

CodyRC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So can anyone tell me what kind of build that is, because I just looked up beginning builds and started doing the first thing that I started reading. The video didn't seem to help much, I just read an instructional page, but it really wasn't too specific. I just had the basic idea and ran with it.

yasaboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dual coil build, looks to be 9 Or 10 wraps, a little unclear to tell. Not bad

VU Sponsors