Become a Patron!

RDA and Mech Mod Intro

Hi Guys, I've been vaping for about 2 years and on the whole just been using box mods with sub ohm tanks. I saw a picture yesterday of the Drop Dead RDA on a Kennedy Vindicator and thought it looked like a sick combo, so have ordered them both and they should be here by the end of the week. As I'm new to RDA's and Mech Mods I just thought I'd post on here and see if anyone had any suggestions or anything that I need to consider when using these two bits of kit for the first time? Cheers, Chris

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Welcome to the mech world and to VU. What kind of experience do you have building coils and what kind of batteries are you using?

Best recommendations that I have is check your coils and dry fire them on something regulated, build within the safety limits of your batteries and when the hit doesnt have that punch, swap the battery.

Learn ohms law, familiarize yourself with mooch and his battery work and execute the basics every time. If you put a little time into reading about mechanical safety and put that into action, you should be less inclined to encounter issues.

I don't have any experience building coils so any advice you can give would be great. I want better flavour so that's why I've gone for an RDA. I'll be using a Samsung 30T.

Thanks for the info, I'll look in to all them things

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
My advice in that case is start with simple round wire coils or premade coils that are of quality. Learn to build and use them on the RTA using a regulated mod and then go to the mechanical device. You will be wanting to build toward the upper end of the amp limit of your battery if you want a punch and fast ramp. Ni80 will help with that but learning what to build for is a personal experience and requires some trial and error. Highly recommend sorting this out on a regulated mod. That way you dont get turned off by unsatisfactory production on the mech.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you are looking for premade coils you could go into the post your builds section of this forum and tell them what rda, mech and batteries you are using. Tell them what you are looking for with your mech experience and that you are looking for some good premade coils to accomplish this. Also, if you are on Instagram, could also try the same thing. Look for MTerk, Raymo2u, maybe even (although I'm not sure if he sales coils or not) n.devine83. There are others there as well. Advance Vape Supply is another good option looking on the web. Keep in mind that AVS only deals in stainless steel, they give a great vape, but are lower resistance naturally. Just the nature of the beast with stainless steel. I hope this helps. I look forward to seeing which way you go with this.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

IcepickMaker84

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Check out Battery Mooch on YouTube, he does an excellent job explaining battery safety, Ohms law, and how various mechs work. I’ll be honest, taking on mechs and rda’s is one hell of an undertaking but with the proper knowledge it shouldn’t be a problem. Vape safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll try not to echo what others have said but if you are new to mechs and rda's go on youtube and watch a TON of videos about batter safety and coil building. Watch videos about your RDA. You've picked out a really nice mech so take the time to learn to use it. We all started somewhere. Good luck and enjoy the trip down the mech rabbit hole.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Also would be helpful to familiarize yourself with the utilities at http://www.steam-engine.org/

For starters, the "Coil Wrapping" tab will help you calculate the specifics of wire, wraps, diameter, etc to reach the resistance you want using single, parallel, or twisted wire.

Use "Wire Wizard" to do calculations for more complex coils.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
thought it looked like a sick combo
is no reason to start using mechanical mods. If you want flavor, stick with regulated. Mechs tend to drop off in voltage very quickly where as regulated levels out the voltage by boosting it until the batteries reach a defined "low voltage limit" What this means is yo8u get 6 hours of vaping vs 6 decent puffs. I use a mechanical mod when my regulated mod breaks and waiting for replacement. The other factor is vape temperature. If you like a fairly warm vape, then stick to regulated. Building within the safest limits of your cell, with a dual coil, you will find your vape luke warm at best. Since mechs do not have any circuits to boost the wattage. Totally the opposite of what someone else said, I recommend Kanthal for new mech users. It heats at lower watts than NiChrome. 4 wraps of kanthal may give a better vape than 6 wraps of Nichrome due to the increase in coil mass and wattage required to push it. 4 wraps of Nichrome may drop you well below the "safe" zone of your CDR.
Later when you learn to build coils, you can customize your vape as you build. This is another reason to know how to build coils before you start using a mech mod. For example.. you want 2 coils, of 6 wraps each. But the resistance comes out to 0.40 on the build, much to high to produce the wattage required to heat the coil.. What do you do?...... you build 2 parallel coils, halving the resistance to 0.20 without reducing the actual mass of the coil. (parallel coil is made by wrapping 2 wires side by side.. like a twisted coil that isnt twisted)
As you learn more about ohms law and the stress properties of your batteries, you can do more. Eventually a 0.10 build will be just as "safe" as that 0.20 ohm build, because you will know more about what you are doing, and the limits of your batteries, etc.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Additionally.. 4 things you MUST know about mech mods.
1 Check your battery wrappers for tears and holes EVERY TIME YOU CHANGE THEM.
2 Keep your mod clean, all parts must be kept clean. Keep the fire button mechanism clean. Old juice can cause the button to stick and fire constantly. Keep the 510 pin and threads clean on both your mod and the atomizer.
3. know what to do in advance in case of emergency. How to get your batteries out quickly and failing there, where you can throw your mod to keep it from blowing up onto flammable materials. Cat box, toilet, out the window onto the lawn... all viable options
4. Mechanical mods are not made by Fisher Price and you don't find them in the toy department. Don't treat them as such. No tossing them on the dash board of the car, or chucking them on top of the dresser at night. No looking down the atomizer hole to see how pretty the coils glow, Don't try to reheat your coffee with it. These mods are an advanced user item. They will seriously hurt you if misused.

Jenn F

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been vaping for many years, just took a short break. I have ONE mech and actually it wasn't my thing. I have been building since around 2013ish. Please build on regulated mods for a bit of time before going into a mech. I saw even last week a bad wrapped battery shred a regulated box mod with no warnings, things can happen. Mechs have no sympathy for your health much less your hands or face.

You can get an awesome looking regulated mod with that atty and still get proficient in your builds as others have said. There is no shame in running a regulated mod and staying with those. You will get a much better vape on them as well vs like mine for about an hour. I'd rather have a good vape and build than to go mech myself. The Ohm's Law and reading up along with reading Mooch's reports are something that takes more than a few days to absorb and be fully knowledgeable of, we learn each day about bad batteries, etc. Just be careful and vape safely now then move up as you get more acquainted in your builds, law, etc. :)

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been building for a couple of years myself. I still build everything on a regulated mod before screwing it on a mech every time. Just safer that way. I have to agree with the general consensus of this thread in that being new to this idea that you watch allot of videos, learn ohm's law and battery mooch's charts before attempting a mech. It will take some time, but knowledge is safety and safety first in ALL you do. Especially in vaping. I am not in any way trying to dissuade you from using a mech in any way. I'm simply saying to learn everything you can about the use and care of mechs before delving into it head first.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I've been vaping for many years, just took a short break. I have ONE mech and actually it wasn't my thing. I have been building since around 2013ish. Please build on regulated mods for a bit of time before going into a mech. I saw even last week a bad wrapped battery shred a regulated box mod with no warnings, things can happen. Mechs have no sympathy for your health much less your hands or face.

You can get an awesome looking regulated mod with that atty and still get proficient in your builds as others have said. There is no shame in running a regulated mod and staying with those. You will get a much better vape on them as well vs like mine for about an hour. I'd rather have a good vape and build than to go mech myself. The Ohm's Law and reading up along with reading Mooch's reports are something that takes more than a few days to absorb and be fully knowledgeable of, we learn each day about bad batteries, etc. Just be careful and vape safely now then move up as you get more acquainted in your builds, law, etc. :)

Totally agree with this. To me, regulated mods give a better vape for a longer period of time, are easier on batteries, and generally safer to use. More forgiving. Mechs are not - forgiving, that is.

I have a bunch of them, and have packed most away because they just require too much fiddle-farting around. Mechanical box mods aren't as finicky, but tubes can be atrocious.

VU Sponsors