Become a Patron!

rayon trouble breathing

The Motley Vapor

Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
just wondering if anyone who used rayon had trouble breathing. i vaped it for 2 days couldn't get a good breath like when i smoked stopped with rayon all good. don't know if that was it curious?

Tim Yank

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
All I know is, Parker Lewis is going to be pissed you guys keep cutting up his shirts for vaping.....He is lost without them.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
never heard of this Tim - i've been using rayon for around 3 months and don't have any issues..

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@UncleRJ has a thread where he talks about disliking the rayon as well.

Real Extract in Seattle

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
just wondering if anyone who used rayon had trouble breathing. i vaped it for 2 days couldn't get a good breath like when i smoked stopped with rayon all good. don't know if that was it curious?

Tim Yank

I got a rash on my chest a couple days after I started using the Kayfun wicked with rayon. After spending the last week tracking possible causes, it appears that it is the rayon wick. I could taste the cooked rayon and it became more noticeable as the days went on.

I strongly suspect that cooking the rayon within a heating coil is not safe to vape. It is not possible to use rayon as a wick without cooking it to carbon when it has a heating element wrapped around it.I re-wicked every other day as the rayon was toast - completely broken down with the heat.

I went back to the mineral wick eco-wool yesterday. The rash has calmed down this AM.

There isn't anybody out there that is feeding us good reliable data on the materials we use for vaping. We should be very conservative when evaluating new materials for ourselves.

Take a look at this study and decide for yourself: (It was written in 1975 and is not e-cig oriented)

Z Rechtsmed. 1975 Sep 5;76(1):11-26. Acute toxicity of the combustion products from various kinds of fibers. Yamamoto K. Abstract Acute toxicity of the combustion products from various fibers was evaluated in animal experiments. The materials used were cotton, gauze, acetate, rayon, polyester (PE), polychlal (PC), polyvinylidene chloride (PVDC), silk, wool, polyacrylonitrile (PAN), and modacryle (MA).

Rats, mice, and rabbits were exposed to gases released from these materials, heated with an electric heater. In experiments with rabbits animals inhaled gases through a tracheal cannula under urethane narcosis. As indices for toxicity, the time at which animals were impaired severely, was used in rat experiments while the death time was used in experiments with rabbits and mice. The concentrations of O2 and CO in the exposure room were determined continuously, blood COHb and cyanide values were also estimated. Gases from fibers containing nitrogen impaired severely and killed the animals earlier than any other materials. Blood analyses revealed the presence of high values of cyanide in PAN, MA, and silk experiments. HCN was considered to be responsible for the high toxicity of gases from these materials. In the case of wool, despite of high toxicity of its combustion products, blood cyanide and COHb values were not very high. Gases from cotton, gauze, and rayon impaired severely and killed the animals relatively early in the exposure period. Toxicity of combustion products from these materials was attributable to CO on the basis of gas and blood analyses. Acute toxicity of PE and acetate gases, being less than that of cotton, gauze, rayon under the present experimental conditions, was explained mainly by CO. Neither severe impairment nor death occurred during exposure in PC and PVDC experiments.

PMID: 1217203 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] extracted from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1217203

VU Sponsors