Raymo2u's Authentic Goon vs Goon Clone Comparison

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Closest I have is 1.8mm and 2.1mm, so either it's gonna be a little too big or a little too small. A little too big would be worse though.

VaporCarp

#BlackRiflesMatter
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Series build courtesy of @raymo2u for the piglet.

0c72c81aaaef2d45ef30fc4b6e761cc1.jpg

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Closest I have is 1.8mm and 2.1mm, so either it's gonna be a little too big or a little too small. A little too big would be worse though.
Just use the 1.8mm and if you need just bow it out by slanting the drill, normally I wouldnt advise that since its hard on the bits but since its brass and soft I doubt it would hurt it.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
I'll run through it with a 1.8mm and see if the screw fits and judge if I need to bow out the holes with the 1.8 or go to the 2.1mm from there. I have a custom CNC shop near my house has has various grades of aluminum, stainless steel and iron they work with. I might get them to machine some clamps if I can find the exact measurements of the stock authentic Goon screws.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I'll run through it with a 1.8mm and see if the screw fits and judge if I need to bow out the holes with the 1.8 or go to the 2.1mm from there. I have a custom CNC shop near my house has has various grades of aluminum, stainless steel and iron they work with. I might get them to machine some clamps if I can find the exact measurements of the stock authentic Goon screws.
Try and get some SS or Aluminum, Im sure as shit I can get ahold of some 3mm thick Aluminum Sheets, they would just need to be plasma or laser cut into 4mmx8mm (I think) Rectangles...Could even get anodized sheets...

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Mine was shipped when it still showed as waiting on delivery from suppliers on 3fVape. No fancy box, shortest screws in the whole world .....but it is a nice RDA, I can get screws, it was $10 and took only 6 days shipping....got nothing to complain about really. Still unsure how they shipped it before they got it though o_O
Aliens fucking with the fabric of space/time again.....

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Try and get some SS or Aluminum, Im sure as shit I can get ahold of some 3mm thick Aluminum Sheets, they would just need to be plasma or laser cut into 4mmx8mm (I think) Rectangles...Could even get anodized sheets...

The problem with aluminum is, like brass/copper, it's soft. So if I were to hit up the CNC people, I'd definitely go for stainless steel or iron.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
I will tell you guys what, if I decide to go forward with my little CNC shop clamp idea, and it works out, I will get them to coat the clamps with something brass-colored to match the deck which they also do, and probably sell them for $5 a pair or something. I know they won't be expensive, as two little clamps aren't gonna be much. I'll probably go with dimensions like the clone uses in terms of height, then keep the width and screw sizes of the authentic clamps. If it turns out a win, we can all turn our authentic or even clone Goon deck clamps into little unbending beasts.

I'll probably go for 316L stainless steel for the material to keep things conductive, then see if I can have them coated in brass or copper, or at least something with a similar color.

EDIT: Just a quick phone call, this can be done, as I know the guy personally. He said he could machine the clamps with exact dimensions and such out of 316L, then coat them in copper. So they'll still be pretty conductive, but won't bend on you.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Somebody get me exact measurements of both the clamp width and screw holes of the authentic Goon clamps, the height of the clone camps (also the distance the post holes are spaced and are placed from the ends of the clamps so they line up) and I'm gonna to have a prototype pair machined in 316L stainless steel and coated with copper, then I'll put them on the authentic deck and see if they work. If they do, everything lines up, there's no big resistance issues due to conductivity differences in brass and 316LSS coated in copper (highly doubt there will be, just saying) and the big if, if I can force them down and not have them bend, I will go public with these clamps to any authentic Goon owner who wants stronger clamps. He estimated I could have about 12-15 pairs machined for around $30 total for all of them as not much material is going into them, plus I get the 'buddy' price, and if that's the case I'll probably sell them for $5 a pair.

Just get me the measurements, because I don't have tools that are 100% precise, the best I have is a $10 pair of calipers that can't even fit in the screw holes to measure them.

vap3r

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was just thinking of using small bits of SS and drilling holes through it...

FYI, copper and brass are generally murder on carbon and/or stainless steel bits due to binding. But I suppose that the small amount of material that needs to be drilled through should not pose a problem. Also, if you guys end up fabricating new clamps, make sure you do not include the chamfer at the top. I do not have a Goon, but it appears from the images posted in the thread that the drive heads of the screws are not properly distributing load forces across the clamp.

Last edited:

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
I wouldn't be making my own, just handing diameters to a CNC technician. There's no real point to a chamfer on a clamp other than aesthetics anyway.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Ray does not need your piglet. I need it. I have the Goon too.
No I will need it, you need something else. Vaporcarp will only sell to me because once he decides to sell Im taking down everyone elses account on the site just to ensure I win the war :cool:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I think Paul needs to go offline for a bit, gunna sweet talk VC for a bit...;)

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Send me pics

#99/1000 and they are out of production and out of stock everywhere... Im not sure on how much I'd ask but they went for $250 and the last one sold for $300)..
20160303_122129.jpg 20160330_144644.jpg 20160330_144633.jpg 20160330_144717.jpg

Last edited:

Scratch88683

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I really wants to try a goon and I want a new rda been buying tanks lately haven't bought an rda in months I think the last one I bought was either the indestructible or the 30mm temple. They goon is the one that's really peaking my interests and the rafale x rda and the tsunami as a far 3rd. Ughhh decisions decisions. The goon is by far the most expensive as well unless I buy the clone but I have a feeling if I buy the clone I'm gonna kick myself for not buying the authentic....

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I really wants to try a goon and I want a new rda been buying tanks lately haven't bought an rda in months I think the last one I bought was either the indestructible or the 30mm temple. They goon is the one that's really peaking my interests and the rafale x rda and the tsunami as a far 3rd. Ughhh decisions decisions. The goon is by far the most expensive as well unless I buy the clone but I have a feeling if I buy the clone I'm gonna kick myself for not buying the authentic....
I would pass on the Tsunami....its nice but you are dripping ever other draw...its not that amazing...I have the Rafale X coming Wednesday and Ill let you know how it is...If it was my choice I'd get the Goon Clone or a TM Squared Tobecco Clone...

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I find the Tsunami rather underwhelming, & can't make heads or tails of the "X". If you do go with an authentic Goon I'd get the SS. I've not heard many complaints on that one

Scratch88683

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would pass on the Tsunami....its nice but you are dripping ever other draw...its not that amazing...I have the Rafale X coming Wednesday and Ill let you know how it is...If it was my choice I'd get the Goon Clone or a TM Squared Tobecco Clone...
Yea let me know about the rafale x I'm really interested in how well it works with neutral post. I was looking at the tm squared tobacco clone the other day and it's interesting I'm not the biggest fan of the tm v1 but I also got it around the same time I got the velocity clone and I really liked the velocity so I never used the tm very much. I'm gonna have to do some research on the tm squared lol I think I saw grimmgreens video on it but he might be biased because he's good friends with tm

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yea let me know about the rafale x I'm really interested in how well it works with neutral post. I was looking at the tm squared tobacco clone the other day and it's interesting I'm not the biggest fan of the tm v1 but I also got it around the same time I got the velocity clone and I really liked the velocity so I never used the tm very much. I'm gonna have to do some research on the tm squared lol I think I saw grimmgreens video on it but he might be biased because he's good friends with tm
Its a great RDA....when I get the clone Ill do another comparison...I actually like it more then the Goon as it feels much higher in quality. You have the same mounting options as the Goon but you can secure each lead individually if you want, plus you have the option of using any of the Compvape RDA topcaps on the base as they all fit...The Tobecco clone is supposed to be a 1:1 exact clone...they usually are just about perfect clones and you couldnt tell the clone from the Authentic side by side..so my hopes are high..

20160331_124555.jpg

Scratch88683

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I find the Tsunami rather underwhelming, & can't make heads or tails of the "X". If you do go with an authentic Goon I'd get the SS. I've not heard many complaints on that one
That's the exact reason I haven't already bought the tsunami I have a Kennedy and I hate how often I have to drip and I constantly over fill it if I'm not paying attention it ruined my ipv 3 li for like 3 weeks luckily it started working properly again.

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's the exact reason I haven't already bought the tsunami I have a Kennedy and I hate how often I have to drip and I constantly over fill it if I'm not paying attention it ruined my ipv 3 li for like 3 weeks luckily it started working properly again.
The Goon holds a good bit of liquid lol I know Ray has had issues with his Goon, but I haven't had a one. I have 2 SS authentics now, & a black authentic coming tomorrow

Scratch88683

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Its a great RDA....when I get the clone Ill do another comparison...I actually like it more then the Goon as it feels much higher in quality. You have the same mounting options as the Goon but you can secure each lead individually if you want, plus you have the option of using any of the Compvape RDA topcaps on the base as they all fit...The Tobecco clone is supposed to be a 1:1 exact clone...they usually are just about perfect clones and you couldnt tell the clone from the Authentic side by side..so my hopes are high..

View attachment 49500
Interesting... Well I have some time to decide going on a road trip to Vegas on Friday and it's gonna be 2 weeks till I'm back home so I have about 3 weeks to decide lol I like the idea that the compvape rda caps fit, and I do like to tobeco's clones I never had an issue with one.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
If you want a nice bottom airflow RDA thats nice pick up a Magma Reborn...its 24mm and its got a DEEP well....almost hold 3ml of juice if your cotton JUSTS touches the deck, almost 30 draws on my builds before I redrip...

Scratch88683

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Goon holds a good bit of liquid lol I know Ray has had issues with his Goon, but I haven't had a one. I have 2 SS authentics now, & a black authentic coming tomorrow
Really have to think about this wouldn't be suprised if I end up getting both the goon and twisted messes squared and a good chance of the Rafale X too I'm addicted to buying Vape stuff lol

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Really have to think about this wouldn't be suprised if I end up getting both the goon and twisted messes squared and a good chance of the Rafale X too I'm addicted to buying Vape stuff lol
The TM2 is my #2 btw lol

Scratch88683

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you want a nice bottom airflow RDA thats nice pick up a Magma Reborn...its 24mm and its got a DEEP well....almost hold 3ml of juice if your cotton JUSTS touches the deck, almost 30 draws on my builds before I redrip...
how's the flavor? I have 3 bottom airflow rda's the Kennedy v2, the mutation X v4, and the freakshow out of the three I like the Kennedy the best but I never use any of them anymore tired of leaking ejuice all over the place lol but this magma reborn sounds interesting gonna have to look it up I like the idea Of the 3ml juice well I don't own any 24mm rda's only a bunch of 22s and 1 30mm

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
how's the flavor? I have 3 bottom airflow rda's the Kennedy v2, the mutation X v4, and the freakshow out of the three I like the Kennedy the best but I never use any of them anymore tired of leaking ejuice all over the place lol but this magma reborn sounds interesting gonna have to look it up I like the idea Of the 3ml juice well I don't own any 24mm rda's only a bunch of 22s and 1 30mm
The flavor in the Magma is damn good. 3Fvape has a good quality cone of it too.id get the TM2 over the Magma tho.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Its as good/better then the Tsunami, I think its really good as the airflow isnt as wide open as others..
Those Framed Staples are 4mm ID....they wouldnt even fit in a Tsunami...
20160316_123133.jpg 20160316_115005.jpg 20160316_114916.jpg

VU Sponsors