Become a Patron!

Ramp up time

AKmtnvapor

Member For 1 Year
Noob builder, did a 6 wrap 24awg kanthal ID 3mm dual coil clocking in at .3 ohms on a Dead Rabbit. Vaping at 50 watts.
This is my first time building, and I’ve noticed right away that the ramp up and cool time down is significantly longer than my old mesh sub-ohm tank. Does the heat capacity have to do with the wattage, or maybe coil material? Is there a way to get my coil to fire and cool down faster? When I up the wattage I get a ton of spitback and popping. Also, even tho the juice isn’t getting into my mouth anymore, it still pops and spits a bit inside the RDA. Is that normal?
Thanks ya’ll

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Heat capacity refers to a coil ability to transfer and hold heat..... and is directly related to the a mount of metal in the coil..... high capacity high ability to transfer heat and hold heat....

Heat flux refers to coil surface temp....

Think of the capacity as the difference between a wooden match and a campfire.... the heat flux or temp of the flames may be the same but the quantity of fire is different.

Try less wraps or lower ohm.. if using same wire or thinner wire.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Noob builder, did a 6 wrap 24awg kanthal ID 3mm dual coil clocking in at .3 ohms on a Dead Rabbit. Vaping at 50 watts.
This is my first time building, and I’ve noticed right away that the ramp up and cool time down is significantly longer than my old mesh sub-ohm tank. Does the heat capacity have to do with the wattage, or maybe coil material? Is there a way to get my coil to fire and cool down faster? When I up the wattage I get a ton of spitback and popping. Also, even tho the juice isn’t getting into my mouth anymore, it still pops and spits a bit inside the RDA. Is that normal?
Thanks ya’ll

Hey 907 - welcome to VU!

24 G wire, while popular, is definitely on the chunky side and requires more oomph to ramp up and vape

What mod are you using? Some have a ramp up mode, where it will fire a lot higher for a split second to get the coil going

AKmtnvapor

Member For 1 Year
Heat capacity refers to a coil ability to transfer and hold heat..... and is directly related to the a mount of metal in the coil..... high capacity high ability to transfer heat and hold heat....

Think of the capacity as the difference between a wooden match and a campfire.... the heat flux or temp of the flames may be the same but the quantity of fire is different.

Ah yes I think I understand. After reading that I punched in a lower ohm on Steam Engine and it lowered the wraps to 4 so that makes sense. Thx!

AKmtnvapor

Member For 1 Year
Hey 907 - welcome to VU!

24 G wire, while popular, is definitely on the chunky side and requires more oomph to ramp up and vape

What mod are you using? Some have a ramp up mode, where it will fire a lot higher for a split second to get the coil going

Thanks! I had it backwards with the wire number in relation to thickness for some reason. I’m using my first mod still, a Smok Procolor and now I understand what preheat means. I’ve been keeping it on Soft thinking it meant how how hard it would hit in relation to throat hit and cloud size. Switched it up to Hard and it does get up and go faster! Thank you! I’ll look into getting some thinner wire and start fiddling around with them.

Also, I can see after vaping this for a couple days that dripping is going to get real tiresome. Can you recommend any squonk mods for a beginner? Maybe something not totally unregulated?

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Thanks! I had it backwards with the wire number in relation to thickness for some reason. I’m using my first mod still, a Smok Procolor and now I understand what preheat means. I’ve been keeping it on Soft thinking it meant how how hard it would hit in relation to throat hit and cloud size. Switched it up to Hard and it does get up and go faster! Thank you! I’ll look into getting some thinner wire and start fiddling around with them.

Also, I can see after vaping this for a couple days that dripping is going to get real tiresome. Can you recommend any squonk mods for a beginner? Maybe something not totally unregulated?

If you are looking for something right now, the RSQ might be a good choice - though I find them not esthetically pleasing lets say - obviously designed by a dude, lol

Your DR comes with a squonk pin, so you are good there!

If you are looking to go mech, there are a lot more choices - but they come with a steep learning curve for sure

Just don't let anybody talk you into buying a Pulse, the sag is awful and I don't understand why they are so popular, they have a lot of issues

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Heat capacity is "the number of heat units needed to raise the temperature of a body by one degree." Kanthal has a higher heat capacity and a higher specific heat capacity than SS or Nichrome and that's why it has so much more ramp up. Maybe that's what you meant by the campfire analogy but it didn't seem like it to me.

OP 24g is my favorite wire guage. If you like the vapor production and favor of the coil you can reduce rampup without reducing mass by using Nichrome or SS. I prefer N80 but there are a ton of people who are all about SS. Both have much lower heat capacity than Kanthal.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you are looking for something right now, the RSQ might be a good choice - though I find them not esthetically pleasing lets say - obviously designed by a dude, lol

Your DR comes with a squonk pin, so you are good there!

If you are looking to go mech, there are a lot more choices - but they come with a steep learning curve for sure

Just don't let anybody talk you into buying a Pulse, the sag is awful and I don't understand why they are so popular, they have a lot of issues
Definitely stay away from the pulse. Even after all the reviews people are still so proud to own that one. Not sure why usually why you see the kits going for 40 and noone still buys it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Heat capacity is "the number of heat units needed to raise the temperature of a body by one degree." Kanthal has a higher heat capacity and a higher specific heat capacity than SS or Nichrome and that's why it has so much more ramp up. Maybe that's what you meant by the campfire analogy but it didn't seem like it to me.

OP 24g is my favorite wire guage. If you like the vapor production and favor of the coil you can reduce rampup without reducing mass by using Nichrome or SS. I prefer N80 but there are a ton of people who are all about SS. Both have much lower heat capacity than Kanthal.
Big fire vs little fire...

Difference is knowing the science vs experience with hot stuff. You know the science.... i just understand it.. once explained.

Toy4Her

Member For 1 Year
I have been enjoying my Luxotic quite a bit. Nice build quality and has some protection built in.

VU Sponsors