Become a Patron!

Quit smoking, 6 weeks- Halp! nicotine % gradual tapering down question

Reflexx

Member For 1 Year
Hi all

My goal is to quit nicotine, not here for the love of vaping (at least at this point). After 20+ years of almost a pack a day of either Marlboro Medium or Camel Filters I decided to try vaping and lo and behold, have managed to not smoke cigarettes for 6 weeks.

After reading endlessly about vaping, I bought a Suorin Vagon and after some initial experimenting with different e liquids strenghts etc I started and have been using 18% 70 VG 30 PG.

Here is the brand and flavor, they are in my state and ship quick: https://www.vapesgonewild.com/ry4/.

Note they also offer 50/50, 70VG/30PG and 70PG/30VG. Pretty much no local stores offer other brands that much varying amounts of nicotine levels.

Today I decided to try the same brand/flavor at 12% 70 VG 30 PG - its def a bit more challenging, bc it has less nicotine and less throat hit, puffing longer, and a bit more desperately on each hit, refilling more. (so Ill keep you posted if I can hold on to at 12%, but looks doable).

I can see how it will get harder to keep going down in nicotine levels; I know I should not rush things and let my body get used to the lower nicotine levels as I change these. I hope to get to 0% at some point either end of year or if must early next year.

Anyway..... my question is.....

Im trying to figure when to switch my VG PG ratios to get a stronger throat hit as I switch to lower nicotine %'s. (higher PG). Im guessing that if I had done so at 12%, I would a stronger throat hit but then my body would get used to it and seek that when I come down to 9% etc.

My Suorin Vagon (which I like) can only:
  • Can be used with 60/40 VG/PG ratio eliquids
  • Can be used with 70/30 VG/PG ratio eliquids

So it could be that at some point I need to switch to a new device??

Of course I could switch the e-liquid brand which means spending more to try more flavors and brands.

The brand I like and currently use offers: 50VG/50PG, 70VG/30PG and 70PG/30VG

Suorin Vagon specs: https://www.suorinusa.com/products/suorin-vagon?variant=8436760281141
  • 2mL Juice Capacity Pod
  • Integrated 430mAh Rechargeable Battery
  • Maximum Wattage Output: 12W
  • Direct Voltage-Based Output
  • Draw-Activated Firing Mechanism
  • Futuristic & Slim Design
  • Ergonomic Holster Clip
  • LED Battery Light Indicator
  • Micro USB Charging Port (0.5A Max Charge
Thoughts? Suggestions? :)

Thanks!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Welcome @Reflexx and I hope you enjoy your stay~!

IMHO, Since it is only 6 weeks you need to concentrate on staying a former smoker and not worry about the Nicotine right now. If you aren't craving a smoke and are not getting Nic Sick you are on the right track. Good Luck

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I think @KingPin! has went to 0 nic. Maybe has some pointers.
If you move to a sub ohm tank you could lower the nic in the juice and get better throat hit with lower nic and PG, but it might not decrease the amount of nic you actually get, since sub ohm provides more vapor, unless you vape less. Seemingly, more throat hit while lowering nic levels as you go, might be a path.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I think @KingPin! has went to 0 nic. Maybe has some pointers.
If you move to a sub ohm tank you could lower the nic in the juice and get better throat hit with lower nic and PG, but it might not decrease the amount of nic you actually get, since sub ohm provides more vapor, unless you vape less. Seemingly, more throat hit while lowering nic levels as you go, might be a path.

I tried and failed after about a month I’m back on the nic now though at less than 2%

What I found hardest was recipes don’t steep the same, they stay like when you first mix them, also you lose depth to the flavour, everything is sweeter...if there’s a way to get these to react with each other like they do with freebase nic I’ll look back into it

the one shot flavours worked out better at higher concentrates seemed to replace some of the missing hit I was looking for, I could have messed about with PG/VG ratio but I like the balance I have already so didn’t want to change that, might work to up PG ratio for some though

Reflexx

Member For 1 Year
Thanks everyone!

Do you all mind sharing your knowledge on the VG/PG vs my Suorin Vagon specs?

The e-liquid brand I like and currently use offers: 50VG/50PG, 70VG/30PG and 70PG/30VG

So it could be that at some point I need to switch to a new device if I want to use a PG/VG ratio that my device doesnt support??

I like the e-liquid brand because it ships fast (made in my state) and has the varying levels of nicotine.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Thanks everyone!

Do you all mind sharing your knowledge on the VG/PG vs my Suorin Vagon specs?

The e-liquid brand I like and currently use offers: 50VG/50PG, 70VG/30PG and 70PG/30VG

So it could be that at some point I need to switch to a new device if I want to use a PG/VG ratio that my device doesnt support??

I like the e-liquid brand because it ships fast (made in my state) and has the varying levels of nicotine.
If your wanting to experiment with other ratios you could get a new pod for whatever ratio your thinking, and see how it works out.

Reflexx

Member For 1 Year
So what kind of wattage/output do I need as I gradually lower my nicotine and increase my PG?

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
So what kind of wattage/output do I need as I gradually lower my nicotine and increase my PG?

Give it a go on the one you have first it allows down to 60/40 try that see how you get on rather than splashing cash on something you might not need

You might well find you don’t like the hit you get with more PG there’s a lot out there who don’t

Don’t feel you need to take too bigger steps in one go and pressure yourself into it .. it’s not too noticeable dropping nic % by a percent or two at a time let yourself get used to it as you go ...use the end of the year a goal but maybe don’t set it as an absolute

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Just to add don’t beat yourself up if you have a wobble and need to take a step back, it happens ...we are all here to cheer you along either way :)

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
add more suspension base (PG or VG) to weaken it out...its just like making squash...add more water weakens the flavour

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hi all

My goal is to quit nicotine, not here for the love of vaping (at least at this point). After 20+ years of almost a pack a day of either Marlboro Medium or Camel Filters I decided to try vaping and lo and behold, have managed to not smoke cigarettes for 6 weeks.

After reading endlessly about vaping, I bought a Suorin Vagon and after some initial experimenting with different e liquids strenghts etc I started and have been using 18% 70 VG 30 PG.

Here is the brand and flavor, they are in my state and ship quick: https://www.vapesgonewild.com/ry4/.

Note they also offer 50/50, 70VG/30PG and 70PG/30VG. Pretty much no local stores offer other brands that much varying amounts of nicotine levels.

Today I decided to try the same brand/flavor at 12% 70 VG 30 PG - its def a bit more challenging, bc it has less nicotine and less throat hit, puffing longer, and a bit more desperately on each hit, refilling more. (so Ill keep you posted if I can hold on to at 12%, but looks doable).

I can see how it will get harder to keep going down in nicotine levels; I know I should not rush things and let my body get used to the lower nicotine levels as I change these. I hope to get to 0% at some point either end of year or if must early next year.

Anyway..... my question is.....

Im trying to figure when to switch my VG PG ratios to get a stronger throat hit as I switch to lower nicotine %'s. (higher PG). Im guessing that if I had done so at 12%, I would a stronger throat hit but then my body would get used to it and seek that when I come down to 9% etc.

So it could be that at some point I need to switch to a new device??

Of course I could switch the e-liquid brand which means spending more to try more flavors and brands.

The brand I like and currently use offers: 50VG/50PG, 70VG/30PG and 70PG/30VG

Suorin Vagon specs: https://www.suorinusa.com/products/suorin-vagon?variant=8436760281141
  • 2mL Juice Capacity Pod
  • Integrated 430mAh Rechargeable Battery
  • Maximum Wattage Output: 12W
  • Direct Voltage-Based Output
  • Draw-Activated Firing Mechanism
  • Futuristic & Slim Design
  • Ergonomic Holster Clip
  • LED Battery Light Indicator
  • Micro USB Charging Port (0.5A Max Charge
Thoughts? Suggestions? :)

Thanks!

As others mentioned, easier if you don't change too many variables at once. If you like your e-liquid at 18, I'd say mix some 12 and 18 together and go to 15 for awhile.

Nic salt liquids are often used too, but if you are doing well without this, I wouldn't switch. But know that it's another option if needed.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Thanks. Another thing. How do I turn 18% to say 12%?
Using 1/2 of one and 1/2 of another(50/50 mix), add each ratio together and divide by 2.
18 + 6 = 24 /2 = 12

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thanks. Another thing. How do I turn 18% to say 12%?

If you mix 6mg (NOT PERCENT! 12% nicotine is 120mg! 6% is 60mg!) with 18mg, you get 12mg... but that's MUCH too fast a drop; you really should only drop about 1mg at a time, if you really want to make it stick and keep dropping. But also be aware that nicotine is not the bad guy, in smoke; the smoke is -- nicotine is probably the LEAST harmful thing in cigarette smoke.

Andria

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Buy the same juice, one 70vg 18mg, one 50/50 12mg and mix the two.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Don't worry about nicotine. Your FIRST concern is to permanently get off cigarettes. Don't rush it. Smoking is more than just a nicotine addiction. How many times have you automatically lit up a "ritual" cigarette after a meal, with each cup of coffee, sitting on the toilet... beat the habit of smoking, then you can reduce your nicotine. You WILL vape more for a few weeks after each drop in nicotine but that will level out gradually. I'm vaping 3mg now and see no really good reason to go lower. It isn't the nicotine that kills you, it is the actual smoke from burning tobacco.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Don't worry about nicotine. Your FIRST concern is to permanently get off cigarettes. Don't rush it. Smoking is more than just a nicotine addiction. How many times have you automatically lit up a "ritual" cigarette after a meal, with each cup of coffee, sitting on the toilet... beat the habit of smoking, then you can reduce your nicotine. You WILL vape more for a few weeks after each drop in nicotine but that will level out gradually. I'm vaping 3mg now and see no really good reason to go lower. It isn't the nicotine that kills you, it is the actual smoke from burning tobacco.

Tell it!!! :D

Andria

MWorthington

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It's taken me 3 years to go from 18mg to 2.5mg after 46 years of smoking. Don't sweat it. As was said, just concentrate on staying off the cigarettes and reduce the nic gradually...even half a milligram at a time if necessary.

VU Sponsors