Become a Patron!

Quick Question: Does high PG affect the taste / flavor?

KillaB3E

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello All,

I need to order some more e-liquid while my Yaeliq juices steep for a few more weeks (they've been steeping for about a month now including shipping from Israel and in my cabinet).

Last night I wrote that I've had to start clearing my throat again after Subohming, chain vaping and getting my Sig 100 plus. The throat clearing is only occasionally (not like when I used to smoke) but I know that I should probably cut down on the amount of vaping (but I LOVE it and don't see that happening). I don't want it to progress into a cough.

So, I was planning to order some 70pg/30vg of Hurricane Vapors Mango Milkshake (also available in 50/50 and 30/70vg).

I had a 15ml bottle of it and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT, and want to order a 60ml bottle 70pg/30vg. Could you guys let me know if that'll change the flavor vs 50/50 blend?

Sorry for it not being so short,
Take care, vape on and have a nice weekend,

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
PG is suppose to enhance the flavor, while VG enhances the vapor.. So, going with a higher PG should be more flavorful with less clouds .. I say 'should' 'cause some vendors compensate for it by adding less flavoring to PG/ more to VG and some dont in order to have it more consistent. Higher PG will also be a 'thinner' juice compared to a higher VG one.

KillaB3E

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
PG is suppose to enhance the flavor, while VG enhances the vapor.. So, going with a higher PG should be more flavorful with less clouds .. I say 'should' 'cause some vendors compensate for it by adding less flavoring to PG/ more to VG and some dont in order to have it more consistent. Higher PG will also be a 'thinner' juice compared to a higher VG one.

Thanks for the reply. That was my understanding as well, however, I didn't know about vendors possibly compensating and adding less flavor to the PG portion.

I also plan on ordering 3mg nic vs the 6 that I have been using recently. I try not to vape @ too high of a wattage w/ my subtank, usually around 20, maybe 25 with the 0.5 ohm coils.

Speaking of nic concentration. It seems like 0 nic has the best overall flavor, based on sample bottle that I have received at local B&Ms. Is the true, the less nic, the better the flavor?

Appreciate it!

Last edited:

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Hello All,

I need to order some more e-liquid while my Yaeliq juices steep for a few more weeks (they've been steeping for about a month now including shipping from Israel and in my cabinet).

Last night I wrote that I've had to start clearing my throat again after Subohming, chain vaping and getting my Sig 100 plus. The throat clearing is only occasionally (not like when I used to smoke) but I know that I should probably cut down on the amount of vaping (but I LOVE it and don't see that happening). I don't want it to progress into a cough.

So, I was planning to order some 70pg/30vg of Hurricane Vapors Mango Milkshake (also available in 50/50 and 30/70vg).

I had a 15ml bottle of it and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT, and want to order a 60ml bottle 70pg/30vg. Could you guys let me know if that'll change the flavor vs 50/50 blend?

Hi Killa
VG mutes flavor... so if you step up to a higher PG the answer is yes. It will enhance the flavor, but it also increases throat hit. I'm a tanker and a high PG vaper. With higher PG, make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids.
Mango Milkshake huh?... just might have to check that one out! :D

KillaB3E

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Killa
VG mutes flavor... so if you step up to a higher PG the answer is yes. It will enhance the flavor, but it also increases throat hit. I'm a tanker and a high PG vaper. With higher PG, make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids.
Mango Milkshake huh?... just might have to check that one out! :D

@Countrypami, thanks for the reply. So higher PG = more throat hit, huh? So could that be what's causing me to have to clear my throat? Or it is that I just vape too much, lol. I guess I'll order 50/50 for right now. As for Mango Milkshake, yes, check it out. It's not super mango, but it has cinnamon and some other spices that make it taste great. I'm also going to order a sample pack from them and you get a free 5ml bottle of your choice if you register with them. Or, if you want to try 5 - 15ml flavors, you get 20% off your order.

Thanks for the reply,

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Some people don't tolerate higher VG. I'm one of them. I can't go over 20% in a mix. Even at 25% VG, my lungs hurt, I'm always coughing. I started mixing at 20 again, the issues went away.

Yep, I get more throat hit out of PG. Didn't work so well with dripping (MASSIVE throat hit for me), but I'm a tank person, so that's not so much an issue for me. Others might experience that differently, that's just my experience.

I'm at 80p/20vg.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I'll do 50/50 and up... I'm one that can't do high VG as well. I have to add PG to anything over 50%.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Like Huck, I also have to vape high PG(80%). The one thing I notice is that high PG juices are less sweet than higher VG mixes. More VG seems to give a gentler sweetness that is noticeably lacking in high PG.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Like Huck, I also have to vape high PG(80%). The one thing I notice is that high PG juices are less sweet than higher VG mixes. More VG seems to give a gentler sweetness that is noticeably lacking in high PG.
this is the point i was going to bring up. im a high VG vaper (70-80% VG). its more of like a texture rather than flavor to me but i know what you are saying. i guess you have to vape for a while to start noticing things like the texture of vapor lol but its a noticeable difference for sure

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
for the op though pg only carries flavors better, meaning they mix more deeply with pg. i never bought the idea of better flavor in high pg though because high vg will mix just as well for what we are using it for and i could never really tell a big difference in high pg liquids aside from the sweetness of vg going away

NCHornet

Member For 4 Years
My best combo is from Mt. Baker and 65/35, and I also pay for extra flavor shots. Like others have said PG is for flavor and VG is for Vaper, the choice is yours.

KillaB3E

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you for all the replies.

I'll go ahead and get the 50/50 mixes. I will also check out Mt. Baker. I'm also going to drop the Nic to 3% from 6%, I think I vape now more for the flavor and the habit than needing the nic.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thank you for all the replies.

I'll go ahead and get the 50/50 mixes. I will also check out Mt. Baker. I'm also going to drop the Nic to 3% from 6%, I think I vape now more for the flavor and the habit than needing the nic.
i think if i tried going to 3mg or 0mg from 6mg i would be vaping a ton more. 6mg is a nice balance between how much i like to vape and how much nic i want. plus i like nicotine and im proud of it :D what i dont like is tar and carcinogens

just random thoughts, best of luck to you in your vape journey

KillaB3E

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i think if i tried going to 3mg or 0mg from 6mg i would be vaping a ton more. 6mg is a nice balance between how much i like to vape and how much nic i want. plus i like nicotine and im proud of it :D what i dont like is tar and carcinogens

just random thoughts, best of luck to you in your vape journey

You have a valid point about 3mg vs 6mg. I'll take it into consideration

NCHornet

Member For 4 Years
The danger with nicotine in cigs isn't the nic at all, it is all the other garbage they put in there. Nic is actually good as a medicine for folks with blood pressure issues. I quit cigs 20+ years ago and was worried the nic in the juice would make me want to smoke, so I order all 0 nic levels. My son was home on leave and I tried some of his juice. I didn't know it was 12 nic, the good news is I never thought about picking up a pack of Lucky Strikes, lol!!!!!

ManOfManyMasks

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello All,

Some people are actually allergic to Pg i used to get sore throats flem buildup in my throat and a cough almost as bad as when i smoked 3 packs a day, now i drip Max Vg all day everyday and i get great flavor nd no problems with coughing or throat clearing, Vg gives a lesser throat hit than Pg

KillaB3E

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some people are actually allergic to Pg i used to get sore throats flem buildup in my throat and a cough almost as bad as when i smoked 3 packs a day, now i drip Max Vg all day everyday and i get great flavor nd no problems with coughing or throat clearing, Vg gives a lesser throat hit than Pg

@ManOfManyMasks - Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I have a TON of high PG juice, so I'll keep that in mind next time I place another order.

ManOfManyMasks

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@ManOfManyMasks - Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I have a TON of high PG juice, so I'll keep that in mind next time I place another order.
Yea, i used too also lol then come to find out it was my juice causing my problems, switch to vg and prob solved, nd np if theres anything i can do for the vape fam i will :)

VU Sponsors