Become a Patron!

Questions questions questions

ftw75

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey everyone. After being burned on a coil order I decided to get the stuff I need to make my own. We have some Clapton wire coming and I got a roll of wire with my coilmaster kit. I am building for my wife's Koiler RDA and my 9 hells 13 heavens ok so here we go

1. I have learned that more wraps equals more resistance. How does the diameter of the wrap affect things?

2. We have a 3 battery Jay Bo regulated mod and a Vape Conexx 2 battery. Is ramp up time quicker on a three battery? What can I do with my builds on regulated mods to have a quicker ramp up time?

3. Can I twist wire by hand?

4. Not really wanting to run super low ohms. Any more experienced builders have suggestions for a flavor build at 1 ohm or more. The charger is never empty.

5. We were sold some brown battery's with our 200 w Jay Bo mods that don't seem to hold a charge as well as the green samsungs. They are 25r models. The brown ones seem to drain and get warm faster. Will a higher ohm build solve this? Thanks for all you guys and gals who post I have learned a lot from your experience.

6. Shit I forgot. Can you make a Clapton build with more wraps than 4 or 5 or do they perform better at sub ohm levels. Cheers thanks and fuk smoking. Later.

fratervapor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
1. I have learned that more wraps equals more resistance.

Indirectly. All other things being equal longer wire length equals more resistance. Coiling wire is just a way to store a longer length of wire in a small area. Similar to why we coil garden hoses when not in use.

How does the diameter of the wrap affect things?

All other things being equal a larger coil will use longer wire (and therefore have higher resistance). For a ridiculous-but-useful example, imagine 5 wraps around a sewing needle then 5 wraps around a beer keg. Same number of wraps but the keg coil will have [much] more wire in it.

ftw75

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok got it. Good explanation. More wire more resistance. How about the other stuff?

fratervapor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I sidestepped the other stuff because I don't know enough about it. WIth any luck more knowledgeable folk will come in and take up the slack.

F

fckaugust8th

Poor man's way of twisting is to get a length of wire say 2 feet, fold it in half so you know where the middle is. Run one of the ends thru the handle of a good, heavy coffee mug. Bring the two ends together, hold them with a pair of pliers and let the mug hang down freely. Give the mug a spin or three.

F

fckaugust8th

Take a look at this http://vapingunderground.com/threads/flava-killa-coil-builds.141968/ . They cold give you more ideas for coils. The problem we're facing for flavor coils is that when you're getting into twisted wires, claptons, stapled claptons, etc., you're increasing the diameter of the wire and will decrease the resistance. In order for your coil to be at 1.0 ohms, you'll have to put more wraps. so, let's say your original wire is the diameter of a drinking straw and it takes 5 wraps to get you to 1 ohm. For argument's sake, if you're twisting it, you're doubling the diameter and at the same time decreasing resistance by half so you'll need twice the length of wire ( 10 wraps ) to get the same resistance. This is oversimplified but you get the idea.

F

fckaugust8th

One way you can have twisted or 3, 4, 5 stand twisted or claptons is to start with thin wires say 30g and thinner and work from there. I can tell you that 40g wire of any kind is a major PITA to work with until you get some practice.

DED420

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey everyone. After being burned on a coil order I decided to get the stuff I need to make my own. We have some Clapton wire coming and I got a roll of wire with my coilmaster kit. I am building for my wife's Koiler RDA and my 9 hells 13 heavens ok so here we go.

1. I have learned that more wraps equals more resistance. How does the diameter of the wrap affect things?

More wraps = More resistance (already explained)

2. We have a 3 battery Jay Bo regulated mod and a Vape Conexx 2 battery. Is ramp up time quicker on a three battery? What can I do with my builds on regulated mods to have a quicker ramp up time?

That mod is the Reuleaux (either the DNA200 or the RX200), the other is probably one of the VTM150Ws. Various things are in play when it comes to Ramp time (Amps, Volts, Resistance, and Mass). In a mech mod, the more Amps a battery can deliver, the faster it'll ramp up. In a Regulated Mod (like the ones you have) the more volts it can deliver to the coil, the faster it'll ramp up. Both of those factors play into Mass and Resistance. The more metal there is (Mass) the longer it'll take to heat up. But the higher the resistance, the faster it'll heat up. This seems counter-intuitive, as adding more wraps/wire increases resistance, but also increases mass. This is where you have to experiment and find the happy medium. Some builds will run your batteries more efficiently, while others require mass amounts of power. Lower ohm builds need more power than higher ohm builds.

Yes, the coffee cup method works pretty well (already explained)

4. Not really wanting to run super low ohms. Any more experienced builders have suggestions for a flavor build at 1 ohm or more. The charger is never empty.

You could try a Dual Twisted 24ga, 5-6 wraps around a 2.5mm ID, around 0.2ohm. I have a similar build (Sleeper 4x4 Twisted 24ga, 3mm ID @ 0.1ohm, that I run at 100W) and the flavor is amazing.
20151217_2104421.jpg

5. We were sold some brown battery's with our 200 w Jay Bo mods that don't seem to hold a charge as well as the green samsungs. They are 25r models. The brown ones seem to drain and get warm faster. Will a higher ohm build solve this? Thanks for all you guys and gals who post I have learned a lot from your experience.

There are alot of Brown batteries on the market, so it's hard to distinguish which ones they are based on just that. Samsung 25r series of batteries are great (25R2 are Blue, 25R5 are Green, both have 20A CDR and 2500mah) and perform well in all applications (both mech and regulated). The standard brown batteries people use in their Reuleaux (myself included) are the LG HG2 (20A, 3000mah) which should hold a charge longer than a 25r, so you may have a different brown battery (possibly the LG HB4). A higher ohm build will generally need less power, so it will be a little easier on your batteries, although that shouldn't be the root of your battery draining problems. We'll need a little more info on your brown batteries before we can say why they might be draining quicker than they should. If they are the LG HB4s (30A CDR and 1500mah), then they're lower mah batteries, so they won't last as long.

6. Shit I forgot. Can you make a Clapton build with more wraps than 4 or 5 or do they perform better at sub ohm levels

Yes you can make a Clapton build with more than 4-5 wraps, but you need to take into consideration the ID of the coils, the gauge of the wires, and the resistance both of those will calculate to. Here's a single Fused Clapton (2 strands 24ga, claptoned with 34, around .3ohm) and some duals (3 strands of 24ga twisted, claptoned with 30ga, around .12ohm). Both of these are sub-ohm builds, and have more than 5 wraps
20160219_214256.jpg 20160217_174538.jpg

VU Sponsors