Become a Patron!

Questions: forest fruit tastes like perfume!

Hello,
so I have started DIY mixing 2 weeks ago. At first, I was so excited to get and try Forest fruit (FA) and harvest berry, so I have made a simple recipe with forest fruit that I found in different place: Juicy peach – TPA 1.5% and Forest fruit FA 2.5, 65/35%, let it steep for 3 days with shaking every once in a while.. and when vaped, it tasted like perfume!
I have asked many people if they have this problem, and the answer is no! they use forest fruit at 3-4% standalone and very happy with it!

I have the same taste with harvest berry " but less stronger". previously I was happy with commercial berries e-liquids, i enjoy them the most!
so, is there anyone has the same problem? how they work it out? is using sweetener may help? I have tried other recipes without forest fruit or harvest berry, and they tasted very good to me without sweetener.

Sorry for bad English ;p, I really will appreciate your help.

obijuan77

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
generally speaking if your flavor tastes too much like perfume, most likely the % is too high. Lower the % and try again

you maybe right, but im only using it at 1-3%, some mixers use it in 6-8% and enjoy it!

If someone has this flavor, for how long do you steep it as single? there is a guy suggested 2 weeks steeping.. I will try this, but if you have another opinion please tell me

obijuan77

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
some mixers use it in 6-8% and enjoy it!
some may, doesn't mean you will. That's the beauty of DIY. You can make it to suit your personal tastes.

Some people also like minty vapes, but personally, I can't stand them.

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have asked many people if they have this problem, and the answer is no! they use forest fruit at 3-4% standalone and very happy with it!

Welcome :yes:

Your English is fine.

I enjoy FA Forest Fruit as a single flavor @ 5.5-6% and get no perfume. Hard to pinpoint your problem from here; but it could be due to not correctly measuring your flavors or not shaking them enough before mixing.

Other solutions can be found here: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/finding-the-problem-when-your-diy-tastes-bad.88262/

well, I thought since I liked berries in commercial Ejuices, I would love it in DIY.. that's why.. and the problem I've tried 2 of the most famous ones: harvest berry and forest fruit.. shocked :(
but I will take the advice, mix it single, steep it for 2 weeks, and give it a try. .hopefully it will taste good as its smell.

Welcome :yes:

Your English is fine.

I enjoy FA Forest Fruit as a single flavor @ 5.5-6% and get no perfume. Hard to pinpoint your problem from here; but it could be due to not correctly measuring your flavors or not shaking them enough before mixing.

Other solutions can be found here: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/finding-the-problem-when-your-diy-tastes-bad.88262/

Thanks, appreciated.
I always give it a good shake before mixing. 5 seconds of shaking is enough, right? ;p
can I know for how long do you steep it?

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks, appreciated.
I always give it a good shake before mixing. 5 seconds of shaking is enough, right? ;p
can I know for how long do you steep it?

How long I shake it depends somewhat on the flavor. For example....FA Forest Fruit? 1 Minute. FA Cocoa or FA Chocolate Glazed Doughnut? 3 mins. (at least!)

While 2 weeks may be your enjoyment preference, I find mine fine after 2-3 days of ageing. ( At normal room temperatures)

hmm.. so 5 seconds aren't enough.. maybe the problem then is with the shaking..
I will give it try again after a good shake before start mixing it. I never thought that it will need this time of shaking.
Thanks man..

I will update this after testing it at 4% single.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello,
so I have started DIY mixing 2 weeks ago. At first, I was so excited to get and try Forest fruit (FA) and harvest berry, so I have made a simple recipe with forest fruit that I found in different place: Juicy peach – TPA 1.5% and Forest fruit FA 2.5, 65/35%, let it steep for 3 days with shaking every once in a while.. and when vaped, it tasted like perfume!

I have the same taste with harvest berry " but less stronger". previously I was happy with commercial berries e-liquids, i enjoy them the most!
so, is there anyone has the same problem? how they work it out? is using sweetener may help? I have tried other recipes without forest fruit or harvest berry, and they tasted very good to me without sweetener.

Sorry for bad English ;p, I really will appreciate your help.

Many flavorings taste of perfume to some of us.
To most they taste fine.
Been 100% DIY for close to 4 years because of my peculiar tastes.
wound up tossing or giving away maybe 80% of the flavorings I tried.

Etown smoke

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
For me I like my forest fruit stand alone at 5% and honestly myself I don’t notice a difference between shake and vape or steeping a month it tastes the same.
Now I will also say I have had 2 different peach flavors that were like straight perfume even after a month of steeping and haven’t tried anything peach since. But like it’s been said, everyone’s taste buds are very different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
As soon as you mentioned peach I think that's the real culprit. I prefer forest fruit at 3.5% tops for a single. Might try 0.5% of a cream or custard to smooth the edges and lower the peach if you like the pairing.

Thank you all for your help, especially "RonJS".. I mean who would think that give a very GOOD shaking before mixing would change the flavor 180 degree around?! don't think I am dumb or something ;p, but really when people mention " shake your flavor concentrate", I thought they meant shaking for 3-5 seconds would be enough. Now, I have to go back to my "didn't like" recipes again.....
I took your advice, shake it well before mixing for 1 min.. the perfume taste is gone completely 4%.. I don't know how to describe it now. It tastes good but blackcurrant is dominant I think, it gives earthy floral taste for me..
To be honest, I didn't like it in this high %, may be I will let it steep for couples days then lower the % to around 3% and see.. Also, I think it will benefit from sweetener, unfortunately.. I don't have one :(

I would appreciate if you can help me combining my flavors, especially with Forest fruit.. I have limited stash so..
Butterscotch - FW
Ethyl Maltol - TPA
Forest Fruit - FA
Fuji Apple – FA
Golden Pineapple - Capella
Harvest Berry - Capella
Lemon Sicily - FA
Peach (Juicy)- TPA
Pomegranate - FA
Strawberry Ripe- TPA
Vanilla Swirl - TPA
Spearmint - Capella
Watermelon- TPA
WS-23

I'm thinking of trying this:: forest fruit 2.5% and Lemon Sicily 0.75% with pomegranate 1.5%.. I think it will a little sweet with pomegranate and maybe add some Harvest berry after testing it alone..
any other suggestions? either for forest fruit or any other combinations.

Etown Smoke and Letitai9, it's not the peach, I've tried the peach in different recipe (which I will share after some tests with diff. %), it wasn't perfume like.. it was all about shaking..

Last edited:

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Good to hear you worked it out. SB ripe 3% + lemon sicily 3% for a lemonade type mix
Watermelon - strawberry - peach
Vanilla swirl - butterscotch - Fuji
Golden pineapple - pomegranate

I will give them a try, appreciated..

I think this would taste weird for me ;p, but I will try it.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I will give them a try, appreciated..

I think this would taste weird for me ;p, but I will try it.
Those are what came to my mind. Don’t waste resources if it doesn't appeal to you.

VU Sponsors