Become a Patron!

Questions about temperature control

daddyrabbit

Member For 4 Years
Got some stainless steel coils going and am going to give it a whirl in my RBA.

Been looking at a lot of vids with no definitive answer on TC.

Is the temperature reading on my mod (Smok Alien) the temp of the liquid or the temp of the coil?

Next, is the temp actual as in is there a tiny thermostat in there or is the temp theoretical based on coil type, gauge, wattage, button press, etc?

And lastly, on my SA, when setting temp control, after I select SS, there is another screen that I don't know how to set. I've been leaving it at the default:

a294049396f655197f6cbe8e0d215765.jpg

Can someone shed some light on that?

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You need to chose your wire type, for example ss316. The temp in degrees or Celsius is the temp of the coil. So you would chose the temp example 420 degrees, pick your watts, lock your resistance (your ohms). The TCR (temperature coefficient of resistance) is best explained by Daniel of DJLSB Vapes.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Got some stainless steel coils going and am going to give it a whirl in my RBA.

Been looking at a lot of vids with no definitive answer on TC.

Is the temperature reading on my mod (Smok Alien) the temp of the liquid or the temp of the coil?

Next, is the temp actual as in is there a tiny thermostat in there or is the temp theoretical based on coil type, gauge, wattage, button press, etc?

And lastly, on my SA, when setting temp control, after I select SS, there is another screen that I don't know how to set. I've been leaving it at the default:

a294049396f655197f6cbe8e0d215765.jpg

Can someone shed some light on that?

Thanks!!

quick answers
1) the temp reading on the mod is the actual chip temp. nothing to do with your coil or vapor
2) it's theoretical based on the resistance of the wire. as wire is heated up, resistance changes. it calculates the resistance change to figure out the approx temp
3) depends what SS you have. for SS316L (which is most common) use .00092

On sidenotes
1) the alien TC is just OK. not sure what firmware you are using though. I heard that it works worse with the newer firmware but can't confirm as i haven't tried. it'll prevent dry hits but it's not the best TC vaping experience.

daddyrabbit

Member For 4 Years
1) the temp reading on the mod is the actual chip temp. nothing to do with your coil or vapor.
You sure about that? I'm not talking about the PCB reading. I'm talking about the huge number I set that rises when I press the button and reads "Temp Protect" when reached. Right now, I have it set to 450F, but it rarely goes beyond 320 at 90 watts on a 4 sec pull.

I'm pretty sure most chips cook to dust around 190F.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
You sure about that? I'm not talking about the PCB reading. I'm talking about the huge number I set that rises when I press the button and reads "Temp Protect" when reached. Right now, I have it set to 450F, but it rarely goes beyond 320 at 90 watts on a 4 sec pull.

I'm pretty sure most chips cook to dust around 190F.

Oh that number. yeah that's the estimated temp of your coil. I didn't think anyone strained to look at the screen when firing lol

USMCotaku

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
A TC mod measures base temperature (I.e. room temp), then using the selected wire types TCR (temperature coefficient of resistance), calculates the temperature of the coil based upon that TCR and current resistance. So long as the coil resistance was locked in at room temperature, this is reasonably accurate. SS isn't quite as accurate as Ni and Ti, having a lower coefficient, but it is a fair trade off, being a much safer and easier material to use. Back when Ni was the only TC wire around, building a simple spaced coil that would work well could be a challenge, but now that we are using SS, you can TC on claptons, aliens, staples etc...with out too much hassle.

while most mods use TCR to calculate approximate coil temperature, Innokin and Vaptio both made mods that went about TC a bit differently, measuring actual temperature with a separate sensor. Not sure how Innokin did it, as I never had one of their mods that worked this way, but Vaptio created a new 510 with an 2 piece center pin, the middle part connecting to a separate sensor in the coil. It was a great idea, that actually worked well.......too bad their coils themselves were of low quality, giving off a strange, unpleasant rubber flavor to the vape.

Unless you are the type to get dry hits often, I generally look at TC as more of a novelty then a necessity. I do enjoy playing around with it, but find myself using my mech or VW modes more often then not.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some mods have more accurate TC and some less.
You can use the SS TCR preset of your mod or adjust the TCR manually to make it a bit more accurate.
At the end of the day what matters is that your mod is consistent with it reading, more then how accurate it is.
Even if your mod is off by a few degrees you compensate by adjusting it a bit higher or lower.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
If you want unparalleled TC accuracy, buy a DNA mod.

I think TC is a gimmick that fell flat on its face. If you like low temp, lower wattage vaping then I could see how you might like it because it would be the same vape you already like but without dry hits.

Though if you vape higher wattage, high temperature, temp control begins to show how new it is as a technology and does terrible 99% of the time.

TC works by the board detecting the small changes in resistance increase as wire heats up, with different settings for different wires to know the base resistance and etc. It steps down the power as the coil gets to the desired temperature, then only using what power it needs to sustain that temperature.

It's honestly pretty useless imo.

VU Sponsors