Become a Patron!

Question: Would this be "wrong" to do

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have something I would like to giveaway (PIF). BUT would it wrong or against any rules to require the recipient to pay the shipping and packing materials? I have looked through about 15 PIF threads and no one seems to require the recipient to pay for shipping costs so I am kinda wondering if it is maybe forbidden to do so.

The reasons I want the recipient to pay for the shipping cost are...

1. I am unemployed with no unemployment income coming in anymore.
2. I feel that requiring the recipient to pay shipping and materials (which is minimal) would deter those who are, well, perpetually and conveniently needy lol.

Or would requesting the recipient to pay for shipping costs pretty much make it a sale and therefore should be posted as a WTS thread?

i have a feeling I am going to open up a can of worms by posting this and that some of you might think I'm a terrible person. But I'm willing to take that risk :). I am willing to give stuff away but I 'm just not really into spending money to do it, especially right now.

(keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get flamed lol)

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I don't see a problem with that.

What are you thinking about PIFing?

Vapingbeauty

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Definitely see no fault in having perspective owner pay for shipping it's a lot less than buying the set up new

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Considering your situation, I don't see anything wrong with that either.

So I'm glad you said that. I started this thread not just to ask permission, but to see what people think of this in general.

So, just out of curiosity, what if I were not unemployed and I could totally afford to pay the tab? Would you find it wrong in that case?

What if almost everybody who posted PIF threads started asking for even at least partial postage to be paid. Do you think this would eventually hurt the whole idea of PIFs?

Here's where it becomes kind of a "political" discussion and why I hesitated to post this. But I'm glad I did.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Unless you're asking like $19.99 shipping and handling for a bottle of juice, I don't think there's an issue asking to be reimbursed for actual postage. Go for it!

I posted a response to this but it didn't take. :confused:

No, certainly not. I figure for most vape products it would cost me anywhere from $3.50 to $6 in total shipping costs and supplies, depending on if the recipient wants First Class or Priority Mail (and of course the weight of the shipment lol). I bought a small lot of shipping supplies on ebay a while ago. Buying bubble mailers at office supplies stores in packs of 5-10 is expensive. You're talking $1.50-$3 per mailer. lol.

Vapingbeauty

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I'm glad you said that. I started this thread not just to ask permission, but to see what people think of this in general.

So, just out of curiosity, what if I were not unemployed and I could totally afford to pay the tab? Would you find it wrong in that case?

What if almost everybody who posted PIF threads started asking for even at least partial postage to be paid. Do you think this would eventually hurt the whole idea of PIFs?

Here's where it becomes kind of a "political" discussion and why I hesitated to post this. But I'm glad I did.
I personally don't think anyone would mind paying g shipping if they where being pifed something as long as the shipping doesn't excede the cost of item

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I posted a response to this but it didn't take. :confused:

No, certainly not. I figure for most vape products it would cost me anywhere from $3.50 to $6 in total shipping costs and supplies, depending on if the recipient wants First Class or Priority Mail (and of course the weight of the shipment lol). I bought a small lot of shipping supplies on ebay a while ago. Buying bubble mailers at office supplies stores in packs of 5-10 is expensive. You're talking $1.50-$3 per mailer. lol.
I've sent a handful of liquid packages across the country recently and you're pretty much spot-on with those guesses. Thanks for putting your unwanted supplies out there for someone else!

MOMABEAR

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have paid shipping before for a pif and was glad to do so...to pif an item is very generous...asking for shipping is not out of the way in my opinion..

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have something I would like to giveaway (PIF). BUT would it wrong or against any rules to require the recipient to pay the shipping and packing materials? I have looked through about 15 PIF threads and no one seems to require the recipient to pay for shipping costs so I am kinda wondering if it is maybe forbidden to do so.

The reasons I want the recipient to pay for the shipping cost are...

1. I am unemployed with no unemployment income coming in anymore.
2. I feel that requiring the recipient to pay shipping and materials (which is minimal) would deter those who are, well, perpetually and conveniently needy lol.

Or would requesting the recipient to pay for shipping costs pretty much make it a sale and therefore should be posted as a WTS thread?

i have a feeling I am going to open up a can of worms by posting this and that some of you might think I'm a terrible person. But I'm willing to take that risk :). I am willing to give stuff away but I 'm just not really into spending money to do it, especially right now.

(keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get flamed lol)
hells no it ain't wrong.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I hate packing peanuts! Besides shipping a large quantity of packing peanuts can actually be espensive due to dimensional weight pricing these days.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
We had these peanuts at work I would carefully remove the item not to get these damn things all over the place. Nothing worse than trying to sweep these damn things up. Some people would get these things all over the place and of course they would get into my area. I hate peanuts.

fratervapor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I think it's fine as long as it's stated up front. I'm surprised it's not the norm.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

I still wouldn't find it wrong, especially when you PIF several times (not necessarily to the same person either), due to the costs adding up. (A German saying:"Even small animals make manure!") The item itself I consider worthless, otherwise I wouldn't PIF it.

fratervapor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
S

Consider this: what if you were going to PIF to a person in the next town instead of across the internet. Would you drive over and give it to them or would you expect them to pick it up?

IMO, asking for postage to be covered weeds out the indiscriminate "gimme" people who would claim a broken cinder block if you'd ship it to them for free.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I still wouldn't find it wrong, especially when you PIF several times (not necessarily to the same person either), due to the costs adding up. (A German saying:"Even small animals make manure!") The item itself I consider worthless, otherwise I wouldn't PIF it.
thththsmiliesmdrej8lol-11_zpsxjhaiooq.gif

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Consider this: what if you were going to PIF to a person in the next town instead of across the internet. Would you drive over and give it to them or would you expect them to pick it up?

Well to be honest, I guess that depends on the person. If it was a stranger I would rather go to their place than have them know where I live. Or better yet, met them at a public place. But it all really depends, I guess. But I do get your point.

IMO, asking for postage to be covered weeds out the indiscriminate "gimme" people who would claim a broken cinder block if you'd ship it to them for free.

;)

But as for driving to the next town, I guess that depends, but usually when I am giving something away locally or if I am selling something cheap for quick sale, my terms are "U pick up, u haul".

VU Sponsors