Become a Patron!

Question on wire - FeCrAl

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Can someone tell me what kind of wire this is and why I don't see people talking about using it? Enquiring minds want to know. :)

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can someone tell me what kind of wire this is and why I don't see people talking about using it? Enquiring minds want to know. :)

If I'm not mistaken, FeCrAl is what we commonly refer to as Kanthal A-1 and is one the mostly widely used and talked about alloys around, when it comes to making vaping coils

You're not drinking water are you?! You realize that stuff is found in antifreeze!?!

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanthal_(alloy)

Kanthal is brand name. FeCrAl is what it's made of based on the table of elements. (Fe=iron, Cr=chromium, Al=aluminum). I actually looked this up not too long ago when I was shopping on fasttech for wire.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I wonder why they list Kanthal and FeCrAl separately (and yes, I know it's based on the table of elements, but didn't know what they meant when put together). ;)

twan013

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I wonder why they list Kanthal and FeCrAl separately (and yes, I know it's based on the table of elements, but didn't know what they meant when put together). ;)
If I was a paranoid conspiracy theorist, I'd say marketing ploy. It worked for gplat for a while until enough people figured out it was just overpriced ss316.

Side note, every time I see FeCrAl, I think of an old redneck saying "that dadgum fecal wire ain't worth a sh*t".

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If I was a paranoid conspiracy theorist, I'd say marketing ploy. It worked for gplat for a while until enough people figured out it was just overpriced ss316.

Side note, every time I see FeCrAl, I think of an old redneck saying "that dadgum fecal wire ain't worth a sh*t".

Yeah, every time I see it now, I read it as fecal. :D

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Trademark infringement, Kanthal is registered and Sandvik who invented it they have been going after those who have been infringing on their trademark. If one wants quality wire stick with suppliers who use Sandvik. Me, for Kanthal I use exclusively Kidney Puncher, Atomizer Wick and Temco which are all Sandvik and yes there is a difference over the shit Chinese wire.

twan013

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
My question is, why are there so many different types of a given wire? Kanthal has a1,a, and d, SS has 316,316l, 317,etc. Nichrome has 20,40,60,80,etc. I've never heard of any kanthal other than a1 in use, but the others are options on my vape tool app

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My question is, why are there so many different types of a given wire? Kanthal has a1,a, and d, SS has 316,316l, 317,etc. Nichrome has 20,40,60,80,etc. I've never heard of any kanthal other than a1 in use, but the others are options on my vape tool app

Because there are different types of wire all with different characteristics.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors