Become a Patron!

Question on vaping?

First time posting here. Not sure where else to ask. I’m on mobile so please let me know if there’s any formatting issues.
My (23f) sister (39f) gave me a vape to try. I mentioned wanting to try one out of curiosity provided there was zero nicotine (I don’t smoke). Sister explained That this one does have 5% nicotine but that it was 3500 puffs and wouldn’t be enough to get my onto smoking. She had already used the vape so there would be less than 3500.
I’ve continued to use it on and off the past two days to see if I like it. If I do, id be willing to get a different one with zero nicotine and probably stop using this one.
I like it so far, it tastes nice. I’m just curious if the “liking it” could be the nicotine in it? Since I don’t smoke I’m not sure how much can cause you to get into smoking.
If I continue, I’d be vaping strictly zero nicotine. I never understood the point of vaping zero nicotine so the fact that I like it concerns me that it couldn’t be the nicotine in it. Is my sisters advice accurate?

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Advise is not accurate. That is plenty of nicotine to get you hooked. Ignore the puff count. Most people that vape zero nicotine didn't start that way and have weened themselves off.
My advise is to throw it away and buy a bag of candy. You are dancing with the devil, nicotine is a terrible addiction.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
5% nicotine is the same as 50mg nicotine. Most of us here in this forum vape either 3mg or 6mg. @BobsHere is absolutely correct.

Those high-nicotine devices are designed to provide a quick nicotine fix, in just a draw or two, every few minutes. Used properly you might hit one of those a couple times every half hour or so. Furthermore, they use salt nicotine, which is designed to be absorbed into the bloodstream even faster than regular nicotine.

You are using a device that was designed to induce addiction, in my opinion. I can't urge you strongly enough to throw the damn thing away....or give it back to your sister.

Frankly, I'm surprised it didn't make you feel pretty sick on your stomach the first few times you hit it.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Advise is not accurate. That is plenty of nicotine to get you hooked. Ignore the puff count. Most people that vape zero nicotine didn't start that way and have weened themselves off.
My advise is to throw it away and buy a bag of candy. You are dancing with the devil, nicotine is a terrible addiction.
Sugarfree candy if u value your teeth

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I never understood the point of vaping
I never understood the point of vaping, if one doesn't smoke.
Vaping is a smoking cessation used to stop cigarettes only, imo.
There's nothing better than just clean air.
Be cool in a smart way.
Don't be dumb.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You are dancing with the devil, nicotine is a terrible addiction.
Most of us here in this forum vape either 3mg or 6mg. @BobsHere is absolutely correct.

Those high-nicotine devices are designed to provide a quick nicotine fix, in just a draw or two, every few minutes. Used properly you might hit one of those a couple times every half hour or so. Furthermore, they use salt nicotine, which is designed to be absorbed into the bloodstream even faster than regular nicotine.

You are using a device that was designed to induce addiction, in my opinion.

I agree with the above postings. The device you were given to use is quite rightly designed to get you hooked on nicotine.

Unlike most here, I generally use 18 mg per ml strength nicotine, rarely at times tempting to go to 12 mg per ml. My body's physiology is very different from most, though.

I can tolerate such levels of nicotine. I once chewed a knot of raw tobacco & got very sick. You could see the nicotine in my spit from that knot of tobacco.

Yes, high levels of nicotine can make you physically ill. If you use too much at once, you may even die. What constitutes too much varies per person, but as a rule of thumb I've read it isn't as much as you may think. Don't fool around, risking it.

If you like the flavors as @BobsHere suggests, try some candy, sugar-free as @Mr_Nobody suggests is a good idea too. I'm 51 years old and started nicotine use at five years of age. My first was Cope-With-It (Name not named to avoid glorifying.) snuff, and then two years later we started sneaking cigarettes. Did not begin to smoke until age thirteen in earnest, though.

You don't want this monkey or its chain. People told me the same. Don't repeat my mistake, listen and heed what is being said from experience.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I welcome you to VU, sikhanegi.

There isn't a magic nic level that will keep you from smoking cigarettes. The thing is that you will become addicted to vaping at any nic level other than zero. Vaping nicotine is a worthwhile addiction only if you are using it to stop smoking. My advice to you is that it's better not to have an addiction than to have one, so if you're not vaping to stop smoking cigarettes, just don't do it. Why do it? Novelty? There are other thrills in life.

Last edited:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nicotine is a dangerous addiction. I wish I never started smoking. The only thing vaping is good for (IMO) was to help me quit smoking after 34 years. But, I am still addicted to Nicotine. Vaping certainly helps steer me away from emphysema and COPD, which can lead to an early death.

For those that don't smoke, it's best to just not start.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My advice to you is that it's better not to have an addiction than to have one, so if you're not vaping to stop smoking cigarettes, just don't do it. Why do it? Novelty? There are other thrills in life.
They could take up bungee jumping, or D.B. Cooper re-enactments, being a live bulletproof vest test dummy. ;) :) :p :D

One theory I have regarding D.B. Cooper. He did not jump. Instead, he slunk off up into the fuselage of the plane. Having a buddy awaiting at the next airport, who worked as part of the ground crew, ensured he could slip out and away. Not sure anyone has ever thought of it like that. Then, of course, we all know the Freaking Big Idiots can investigate a wet paper bag only to ask if you want plastic.

Last edited:

Grandpa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm 69 years old and accepted many years ago that I am hopelessly addicted to nicotine. The worst decision I ever made in my life was lighting up for the first time. Quit cigarettes in 2015 but kept slipping up. Tried vaping and that did the trick for me. I would have been dead by now if I hadn't quit smoking. I like vaping but would never do it strictly for recreation. Please do yourself a favor and put the vape down. If you don't need it like I do, just don't do it.

VU Sponsors