Become a Patron!

Question on rewrapped batteries

BPROSEK

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So I attempted my first rewrapping today and didn't realize I needed to trim down the size of the wraps.... So two of my attempts ended up with more overlap on the top (insulator cap is there, just under the green wrap) and bottom sides. Are these okay to use like this or should I start over? Thanks for the input :)IMG_20160305_172638.jpg IMG_20160305_172649.jpg

Manimal3497

Manimalizer
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Those look about like mine when I rewrap them. I would say as long as they work in your mod then you are fine. The main thing on the top is to make sure you put your insulator ring on there and both ends are able to make connection in the mod.

BPROSEK

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
dig it man, I appreciate the feedback. The insulator is there and they do make connection in the mod. I was amazed at how easy it was to do it! Had the wraps sitting for a month thinking it was going to be a pita, but my buddy brought his heatgun home from work and bamn, 2 seconds later done! Going to order some more wraps to have on hand as the new r200 looks like it is gonna tear the shit out of my batteries with the damn sliding door.... :(

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
That looks good! I need to order some wraps myself. I have 4 Sammy 25R's that have seen better days wrap wise.

vap3r

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
FYI: RTD Vapor, FastTech and FatDaddyVapes carry 0.08mm PVC wraps. Ilumn/BattWrap and IMRBatteries offer only the thinner, less abrasion resistant 0.06mm versions.

BPROSEK

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That's where I got mine, super easy to do! Good to know with the arrival of my 2 r200's I have a feeling I am going to be doing quite a bit of wrapping with the battery door design....

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not completely on topic, but best option when I don't own a heat gun or a hair dryer? Those are the two things I have heard used. I figure a lighter properly used should do the trick, but would like some confirmation that it's doable before I burn the crap out of something. Got a few batteries that are still good but with scuffed (not torn through) wraps that I want to replace. Got the wraps on the way, if I need to borrow a hairdryer from someone I can, but I'd rather not have to.

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Not completely on topic, but best option when I don't own a heat gun or a hair dryer?

Oh, I hate you now Jerus. This is going to consume me for days. So far...

Warm up a pot or pan on the stove (just a little), take it off the heat and stick the batt/wrap in.

Maybe putting some sort of heat shield in front of the batt, like a doubled-up piece of aluminum foil, and THEN using the lighter.

Not sure those would even work. Can't think of any others right now.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh, I hate you now Jerus. This is going to consume me for days. So far...

Warm up a pot or pan on the stove (just a little), take it off the heat and stick the batt/wrap in.

Maybe putting some sort of heat shield in front of the batt, like a doubled-up piece of aluminum foil, and THEN using the lighter.

Not sure those would even work. Can't think of any others right now.
Yeah I was thinking about using water or even just steam, but wasn't sure if that'd lead to moisture inside the wrap that may cause issues. Might have to look up what temperature the wraps begin to shrink, should lead to some more ideas. My plan was to just experiment once I get them, tbh even if I screw up I have extra batteries and I feel I'm smart enough not to do something too stupid :oops:

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
An extreme lack of moisture would be a fantastic goal.

My plan was to just experiment

If you have a thermometer and an oven... heat up the oven until it's around 100 degrees F and put the battery/wrap in. Then try again at a higher temp. Then you'll know what the shrink temp is, and you'll have a wrapped battery.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
An extreme lack of moisture would be a fantastic goal.

If you have a thermometer and an oven... heat up the oven until it's around 100 degrees F and put the battery/wrap in. Then try again at a higher temp. Then you'll know what the shrink temp is, and you'll have a wrapped battery.
Haha, reading my mind again, that was another thing I was thinking about, I'd probably wrap it in wax paper and foil or something first so it doesn't melt into the rack though.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Use a hair dryer easier and safee

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
How can I call myself a tinkerer/mad scientist if I do things the right way though? Half the fun of this stuff is making due with what you have, taking scraps and making something work. Same reason my first dozen claptons were done by hand (no drill), but I gave in there, took me a day or two to finish a full length of wire vs a few minutes. I bought some swivels just to check it out but I still prefer using my fingers.

Safety is of course a big priority, but there's always a way to do something without the proper tools without entering the realm of dangerous. As long as you understand what you're doing.

Yes, MacGyver was my childhood hero.

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
It wouldn't melt at that low temp. Can't remember what the melt temp is on wraps... I think it's closer to 200 degrees F.

The only problem with the oven idea is that there's no oven setting low enough. You'd have to babysit and keep watching the thermometer.

I would have tried it in the last few minutes, but FT kept my order for a week, and now everything's scooting around China in a thin, slowly-degrading shipping envelope.*

*Not complaining. It was $1.29 for 50 wraps.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dude, a hair dryer shouldn't cost $10 at Mall-Wart. You can get a heat gun at China Freight for the same price...

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You can get a heat gun at China Freight for the same price...

I have that one. It saved me on at least two renovation jobs. It's still working for some reason.

The one time I regretted using it... I was putting up vinyl siding up this winter and the pieces were cracking because of the cold. Busted out with the heat gun, on low. Waved the warm air over the siding, and it instantly warped. Had to take the rest of the siding home, warm it up in the garage and cut it there. </tangent>

decisively_unsure

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A hair dryer is much better than an oven replacement because you fell asleep with the battery in it... :D

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dude, a hair dryer shouldn't cost $10 at Mall-Wart. You can get a heat gun at China Freight for the same price...
I know I know, but then that's one more thing to find a place for in my small room. Am I being stupid and unreasonable, yes, but ehh sometimes I don't care.

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Maybe I should have been more clear about the fact you don't leave the oven on.
Raise to lowish temp, turn off oven, stick battery/sleeve in, wait just a bit, take finished battery out.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Awesome, thanks.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have that one. It saved me on at least two renovation jobs. It's still working for some reason.

The one time I regretted using it... I was putting up vinyl siding up this winter and the pieces were cracking because of the cold. Busted out with the heat gun, on low. Waved the warm air over the siding, and it instantly warped. Had to take the rest of the siding home, warm it up in the garage and cut it there. </tangent>
I got mine to try and strip 30-year-old contact paper from kitchen shelving on a remodel. It didn't work worth a damn and I eventually developed a technique for removing it by hand (though I unfortunately spent half a day of paint prep just peeling contact paper from a very-big kitchen), but I now own a very cheap heat gun to use for whatever I may use it for in the future...

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Just to get farther off-topic, last week I had to cut the bottom off a vinyl picket gate that was rubbing on a concrete walk. Problem: gate was out of room to adjust it up, and I had no sawzall, no hacksaw, just a pocket knife and a razor blade. Ended up "trimming" it with a chisel and framing hammer - there, I fixed it.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just to get farther off-topic, last week I had to cut the bottom off a vinyl picket gate that was rubbing on a concrete walk. Problem: gate was out of room to adjust it up, and I had no sawzall, no hacksaw, just a pocket knife and a razor blade. Ended up "trimming" it with a chisel and framing hammer - there, I fixed it.
And that there is why I like doing things mad scientist style. Granted this endeavor may be overly foolish to shrink that wrap without just grabbing a hair dryer from a neighbor/coworker for the evening or even just buying one, but I think you understand the satisfaction of just making the situation bend to your will regardless.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And that there is why I like doing things mad scientist style. Granted this endeavor may be overly foolish to shrink that wrap without just grabbing a hair dryer from a neighbor/coworker for the evening or even just buying one, but I think you understand the satisfaction of just making the situation bend to your will regardless.
Okay, I suppose I get it then...still not taking that kind of ham-handed approach to battery safety...

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Okay, I suppose I get it then...still not taking that kind of ham-handed approach to battery safety...
And that's why I like you :D, again this is me being theoretically stupid, theoretically because I haven't actually tried anything, just throwing out ideas and discussing. Battery safety is no joke and I hope no one reads this stuff and gets the wrong idea.

battery bro

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's not a problem, as long as your device can make a proper connection.

Having too much PVC is not so bad.

Having too little PVC can be a big issue, especially at the top-cap of your cell. If you don't have the washer and PVC to cover the rim, there is a chance something could touch the cell and cause a short-circuit.

Robert B

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
FYI: RTD Vapor, FastTech and FatDaddyVapes carry 0.08mm PVC wraps. Ilumn/BattWrap and IMRBatteries offer only the thinner, less abrasion resistant 0.06mm versions.

These clear wraps are from FT. Definitely noticed they were a bit more heavy duty.

Broke a wrap on a LG brown turd, decided to re-wrap them all clear.

LG rewraps.jpg

VU Sponsors