Become a Patron!

Question On New Tank Settings?

Hello all,

I have just recently starting vaping a few weeks back. Was hoping someone could help me with an issue I have on a tank I recently purchased.

When I first started a few weeks back, I purchased a Segelei 213 mod that came with a starter tank and coils. I have used it quite frequently over the few weeks I've had it and have it enjoyed it very much. I have begun recently to come into the issue though of running through the juice much sooner than I would hope to (I've been an avid smoker for the past few years and have quite cold turkey since purchasing the vape). I even had to start taking a bottle of juice with me to work as I would usual run out by the middle of the day.

So the other day I returned to the store and under recommendation purchased a Smok TFV8 Big Baby tank to replace the starter one that came with it. When I returned home I loaded it with juice, screwed it on tightly, and let it sit for a few minutes. When I tried vaping it though, I felt an extremely harsh hit on my throat with very little vapor being let out. I tried turning the wattage down, but the hits still felt much harsher then I've been used to with not nearly as much smoothness.

I'm not sure if I missed something as far as how to set the particular coil up with my mod properly. Should I be running it in a different mode than wattage? The package says the coils were made of Stainless Steel, but I'm not positive based on the menus I see what the appropriate setting should be on it. I've gotten a bit more vapor once I turned it down to 33W or so and continued to hit it, but it still feels just as harsh.

For the time being I've returned to my old tank until I can get the new one configured properly. Any assistance on what I could do differently would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome to the VU! :D

It's a good idea to prime new coils before use, put a few drops of juice in the coil and also several drops on the cotton in the juice ports, wet the cotton. If you look on the outside of Smok coils you will see the recommended Watts to use. I recommend low and slow at first, vape until you see the bubbles popping out the side of the coil and increase the watts slowly, a sign it is wicking.
Good luck!

caihlen

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Did you prime the coil before you filled it? A guy needs to put a few drops of juice on all the cotton showing through the coil and after filling let it sit for 10-20 minutes before you fire it for the first time. If you didn't do that it was the cotton burning that you found so unpleasant. Shit-can that coil, get a new one, prime it, wait a while after filling, start out on low watts and slowly go up until you get the vape you want. Good luck young Jedi...

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ditto on the priming recommendation. Those coils need a lot of priming. I drip juice slowly down the center until I can see the cotton getting wet at the juice slots on the sides. Then I drip into each slot until it won't absorb any more. At this point, it's as primed as it's going to get. Install, fill tank, and vape.

vapemesilly

Member For 4 Years
What mg of nicotine are you using? What are the ohms of the coils on the two different tanks? Too high of a nicotine vs the ohms of the coils can cause harshness.

VU Sponsors