Become a Patron!

question on health.

So, iv been vaping off and on sometimes il go and buy a pack of cigarettes but for the last 2 weeks I haven't iv been strictly sticking to vaping. Iv noticed that with vaping il get increased mucus production and sometimes become short on breath. Is this normal? Im a pretty fit guy I workout like 3 times a week but I noticed when lifting weights I was just short on breathe and idk if thats because I havent done cardio in like forever or if it has to do something with the vaping. Iv been vaping A LOT lately and sometimes il wake up with kinda a "sugary" breathe from it if I vaped like 10 ml that last night so is this just the juice kinda layering the lungs is that something to worry about or if I quit is it just going to immediately go away? Either case I still feel better vaping than smoking but just had some questions on the medical aspect of this iv looked up a few things but theres really no clear answer.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
When you stop the smoking, you can cough up stuff that smoking has accumulated.
Just keep vaping and don't smoke ANY. Your lungs are recovering. Once your body has initally expelled from smoking what its gonna, that coughing/mucus should stop.

Don't know about shortness of breath, I can breath better now that I don't smoke.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If you're buying ejuice, as most new vapers do, you're probably getting high-VG, as that's the current fad; a lot of us get shortness of breath from high-VG. The only solution is to DIY your own ejuice, to get higher PG.

Andria

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
When I first quit smoking it took 2 weeks to get passed the withdrawals of the addictive chemicals in cigarettes. Then it took about a year before my body acclimated to no more cigarettes. If you are worried see a Doctor. Good Luck

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Oh and Welcome @hdth121 ~! Hoping you enjoy your stay~!

PS: I have vaped High or MAX VG since I started vaping and PG just isn't for me since I don't want throat hit. Some who can't tolerate PG are asthmatic and already have breathing issues but don't mention that.

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
+1 to SteveS45

I use 100% VG with a few drops of distilled water (and bakery flavoring) to make my own juice. I cannot tolerate PG. Some people can't. (But Steve is right... with 100% VG there won't be a throat hit -- which I don't like anyway. However max VG does produce thick vapor.)

Many places that sell ejuice will allow you to specify the % of PG/VG. You might want to look up what % of PG is in your current juice and try another with lower PG, or no PG. Also, some of the flavorings used in commercial ejuice can irritate the lungs (which is why I have always made my own).

Coughing up mucus could very well be the body expelling crap from smoking, as was said. Shortness of breath ... could be PG... could be that particular juice you are vaping has something that is bothering your lungs. Or it might pass. :)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Usually intolerance of PG is an irritation; shortness of breath usually signifies high-VG.

Andria

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Usually intolerance of PG is an irritation; shortness of breath usually signifies high-VG.

Andria

Hm. Never heard that. Interesting. All said (including my two cents previously) one thing is clear... everyone's body is different and is affected differently by VG, PG, flavoring... even the quality of the nic. For someone who is buying commercial juice, if they have any symptoms that seem unusual, I'd probably switch to another brand/flavor and see if it was something in that particular juice... be it the VG/PG ratio or something else.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hm. Never heard that. Interesting. All said (including my two cents previously) one thing is clear... everyone's body is different and is affected differently by VG, PG, flavoring... even the quality of the nic. For someone who is buying commercial juice, if they have any symptoms that seem unusual, I'd probably switch to another brand/flavor and see if it was something in that particular juice... be it the VG/PG ratio or something else.

I agree! But PG is very often an irritant, very drying; though I regularly use 85%-87% PG, when I once tried 90% PG for a week, it left my throat bright cherry red, and my throat, nasal passages, and even inner sinuses felt burnt, very painful. VG is very thick, so as it condenses on the airways, it narrows them; some people are more sensitive to that, feeling it as constriction, or weight, or shortness of breath.

One of the greatest things about vaping is how it can be customized to an individual's desires and needs, but that does make it a bit troublesome to get started, to figure out what vape style best suits the individual. And it can be very hard to get thru to people, to not listen to what "everyone" says is the "right way" to vape -- obviously that's not true at all, since high-VG damn near suffocates me -- one has to listen to one's own body, to find the "right way" to vape.

Andria

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Drink more water. Iced tea and home made lemonade are also good. The PG tends to dry out you mucus tissue, causing thicker mucus to accumulate. Water rehydrates and ice tea and lemonade clear away the mucus better *due I think to the lemon juice*.
Next time you think about buying cigarettes, remember, every cigarette is one more bullet in the cancer gun. Cut the smokes completely, let your body heal itself. After 10 years of not smoking your risk of cancer drops to about the same as a person who never smoked.
Also, those cigarettes are still cutting down on the O2 you need to lift weights and feed your muscles.
You might also try a higher VG to PG ratio as VG is less harsh than PG.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Drink more water. Iced tea and home made lemonade are also good. The PG tends to dry out you mucus tissue, causing thicker mucus to accumulate. Water rehydrates and ice tea and lemonade clear away the mucus better *due I think to the lemon juice*.
Next time you think about buying cigarettes, remember, every cigarette is one more bullet in the cancer gun. Cut the smokes completely, let your body heal itself. After 10 years of not smoking your risk of cancer drops to about the same as a person who never smoked.
Also, those cigarettes are still cutting down on the O2 you need to lift weights and feed your muscles.
You might also try a higher VG to PG ratio as VG is less harsh than PG.

Every cigarette is one more bullet in the addiction gun, too -- no matter how long you've gone without smoking, if you smoke, you reset the addiction, you teach your brain that all it has to do to get what it wants is pitch a (craving) fit... and it'll keep doing it, as long as you keep feeding that addiction. I call it the 3 yr old idiot in my brain, because that's about how it acted when I was trying to get free of the addiction.

If you can go for a full week with ZERO smoking, not a single puff, but still have cravings, try some WTA. It might be just what you need to vanish the cravings -- some folks are far more addicted to the minor tobacco alkaloids and the MAOIs, than to the nicotine, which by itself is not terribly addictive -- nor terribly helpful for breaking the smoking addiction, if you're one of those unfortunate people.

Andria

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
[...] I regularly use 85%-87% PG, when I once tried 90% PG for a week, it left my throat bright cherry red, and my throat, nasal passages, and even inner sinuses felt burnt, very painful.

Holy SMOKES! LOL! If I vaped even 50% PG my throat would catch fire and my eyeballs would melt out of my head! (Also irritates my bronchial tubes making me cough even when not vaping.)

But you're right -- that's the beauty of vaping, that it can be customized... and also the reason it can be tricky for newbies. (On that note, one of the hardest things for me when I first started vaping and came to forums like this for info, was that everyone uses shorthand and initials for stuff and had NO IDEA what the heck anyone was talking about! Especially when reading about coils/ohms/RDAs etc.) There is no doubt that it IS a ramp up. You can buy a pal a mod kit and juice, but chances are they will need to do some self-adjusting before they find their own sweet spot. Hopefully most are motivated enough to put the time in!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Holy SMOKES! LOL! If I vaped even 50% PG my throat would catch fire and my eyeballs would melt out of my head! (Also irritates my bronchial tubes making me cough even when not vaping.)

That much PG would be like swallowing Razor Blades for me. When I first got into DIY I had a couple of recipes that were 60/40 VG/PG and now they are up to 70/30 or higher. Thin liquids like that also get sucked up with Restricted MTL tanks.

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

This is huge, even for VG. Since I started vaping I always have a glass of water at arm's reach and take a few swallows whenever I look up and see it, thirsty or not. Must drink 4-5 16oz glasses a day. Even if you don't vape that's good for you, so it was a good habit to get into and ejuice DOES dehydrate to some extent. But I am better hydrated now than before I started vaping.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I once thought I forgot to dry the beaker after I washed it and stuck my finger in PG to see if it was water. That was the nastiest thing I ever put in my mouth and I have gotten actual Anti Freeze in my mouth~! Bleh

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That much PG would be like swallowing Razor Blades for me.

I hear that! I got a mod kit for a friend a few years back, and she was a heavy smoker, so I made standard juice for her which at the time was 50/50. Well, I didn't think about it, was used to my 100% VG, and was trying the juice to make sure I made it right before sending, so poured some in the tank and took a big ole hit and just about rocketed to the ceiling! (I used to smoke Prime Time cigarellos, Capt Black thin cigars, and clove cigarettes and inhaled them all. But that was like cotton candy compared to that 50/50 stuff!)

PG is not for me! My throat likes NOT being on fire! :)

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I once thought I forgot to dry the beaker after I washed it and stuck my finger in PG to see if it was water. That was the nastiest thing I ever put in my mouth and I have gotten actual Anti Freeze in my mouth~! Bleh

ROTFLMAO!!!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I hear that! I got a mod kit for a friend a few years back, and she was a heavy smoker, so I made standard juice for her which at the time was 50/50. Well, I didn't think about it, was used to my 100% VG, and was trying the juice to make sure I made it right before sending, so poured some in the tank and took a big ole hit and just about rocketed to the ceiling! (I used to smoke Prime Time cigarellos, Capt Black thin cigars, and clove cigarettes and inhaled them all. But that was like cotton candy compared to that 50/50 stuff!)

I started doing DIY for my GF and she likes throat hit. I have slowly weaned her down to 12MG and 30% PG from 24/36MG 40% PG.

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
No, really never taste PG just to see what it tastes like~!

LOL! I do have a small bottle of it from when I originally started to DIY, thinking I would need it. But "Note To Self: Do not stick finger in PG bottle then mouth." With any luck that's one I can remember! :)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I kinda figure that vaping while smoking might impact the risk factor of smoking but not sure which direction.
PG/VG in the lungs may cause more bad smoke stuff to be caught there when smoking after vaping?
Of course it may actually trap and carry bad stuff away too?
Have never even read anything on this though...

Just dunno...

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

But you're right -- that's the beauty of vaping, that it can be customized... and also the reason it can be tricky for newbies. (On that note, one of the hardest things for me when I first started vaping and came to forums like this for info, was that everyone uses shorthand and initials for stuff and had NO IDEA what the heck anyone was talking about! Especially when reading about coils/ohms/RDAs etc.) There is no doubt that it IS a ramp up. You can buy a pal a mod kit and juice, but chances are they will need to do some self-adjusting before they find their own sweet spot. Hopefully most are motivated enough to put the time in!

Yeah, it's unusual to be as tolerant of PG as I am, and as intolerant of VG -- if I vape even 80/20, i start feeling like I have a hairball in my chest that I can NOT get rid of. I have asthma, which makes me very aware of whatever my lungs are doing, but I don't think the asthma is why I'm so intolerant of VG, because I've heard from other asthmatics who are just the opposite, who can't handle PG at all. It's just an individual quirk, but thank god, when I first started vaping (early 2014), 85% PG was the default for a great many commercial ejuices, and I discovered this particular quirk very soon after I started vaping. Back then, not too many attys could handle the thickness of VG without giving dry hits. Atomizers have come a long way since then... though not in a direction that benefits me.

Andria

ETA: I have however heard of some vapers who vape 90%-100% PG, so PG tolerance is rather rare, but not unheard of.

VU Sponsors