Become a Patron!

Question about wattage

Crunchyblack

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Im new to vaping but am fully converted from cigarettes...i like it more its cheaper ect.

I was sold a g-priv from smoke, yeah i got over sold and the LCD screen is pointless, but it works well.

It goes up to 220w but i typically hang around 50w.

My question is about the effects and results from increasing wattage...im assuming a bigger hotter cloud...but this thing rips like (NO DRUG REFERENCE Please) as it is...even as low as 40w i can cloud up a room. Whats the point of going so high...what advantage is there...will it increase nicotine absorption or something? Why go so high (not that my batteries could go to 220w just curious)?

Last edited by a moderator:

fraleywp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Honestly it depends on the atomizer and how much flavor you want. Depending on the atomizer and coil you will need to burn more or less juice to get it to taste right and/or not get dry hits or spit back.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Basically, the bigger hotter cloud thing. Bigger coils have more mass and need more power. Personally, I like a dense but cool vape. So I build fancy coils for the cloud, and temp control them to under 400F. Besides, it's always better to have the power and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Also, higher watts usually means more battery capacity, which gets you more vapetime at lower wattage.

Crunchyblack

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the fast replies....i could probably go a month on this g-priv without recharging....an entire day of chain vaping it on a car trip netted me about 8% battery life loss when i got home and charged it..while at work ill use up maybe 4% ive never seen my display drop past 95% charged.....my lungs and throat are still raw from a decade of cigarettes so i'm liking the cooler hits...though thinking about it thats probably why the inside of my mouthpiece has condensation, which i dont mind jamming a kleenex in there after a few rips. Cooler, "wetter" clouds if you will...seems therapeutic if i may prepend to have any more than a blind guess on it.

I was just sort of curious about it all, i took it up to 90 and i was hacking up a lung after and was spinning from nicotine (im using overly strong juice to break me from cigs still) and im really not into that...it happened in public while walking and im sure everyone assumed i was vaping weed oil lol. Trying to keep my vaping professional business casual so im not looking for that image.

Thanks for the help ill keep monkeying around between 40 and 75 which seems to be reasonable in results for what im looking for and just be happy if i wanted to i could go close to 220w. The G-priv while overkill in features was exactly the quality product that helped me get off cigarettes, ive only ever done gas station pens before and hated it. Wish i had bought in properly years ago and quit the cigarettes sooner.

Thanks again for the info.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah, no need to rush it. If 40W is keeping you off the cigs, stick with it. I went my first full year at 25W with 12mg nic, but it was a struggle. As soon as I got a Baby Beast tank and stepped up to the full 50W, my cravings went away completely, and I dropped to 6mg. But then I was going through 2 batteries a day lol. So I bought an Alien 220W... which led to a bigger tank, more juice consumption, building my own coils, and now DIY juice-making. There's a slippery slope around this rabbit hole. LOL
But now I'm down to 1.5mg nic without all the poison of smoke. :)

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
And the condensation thing is just gonna happen regardless. It's just the warm vapor cooling back to liquid. Don't know why some people freak out on it so much lol.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Why drive 75 in a 55 zone.... why drink a six pack in 2 beers will do?

I vape at 25watts or less..mistly around 15watts... why do you vape at 40watts instead of 15?

It about wants needs and desires... you need to drink you want it in a glass you desire it cold......

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
the reason mods nowadays go so high is just a gimmick
its a who has the biggest one competition.
In my experience most people do not go past 120ish
many many many many people vape at 60 and below

SO that may beg the question why if a single battery mod which can do 70-80w is all we eed why do many of us who vape below 60 use 2 and 3 battery mods?
well as explained for battery capacity and for feel of the mod in your hand
Also more mods come as 2 and 3 battery mods then single battery mods

You can buy 2 and 3 battery mods for about the same price as a single battery mod

the higher watt experience is hot and lots of vapor and sometimes lots of flavor.

some coils need a lot of power to even heat up and give you a cool vape

people build complex coils that have 2 or 3 wires running next to each other each wrapped with another wire and then the whole thing wrapped. These coils have a crap ton of wire per inch which need more power to just start to heat up.
Then you have rdas like the horney which can hold 6 coils - well 6 coils is going to need more power then 1 or 2
then put complex multi strand coils in each spot and you need even more power

Then finally take into account every one is different and vaping is customizable

ask 100 vapers their favorite juice, nic strength, coil type, cotton, atomizer, and power level. You will get so many different answers the combinations are in the 10s of millions and higher

SO mods with the ability to go to 200-300 watts simply adds in the ability to customize for your personal taste.
Say you have a 60w mod and you like your vape at 60 how do you know that 61 is better or worse?

SO there a few of the reasons for high powered mods

but just do what works for you thats all we all do
there is no ONE PERFECT WAY that works for us all

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Like Gakudzu I felt I needed more vapour to stay of the cigs as little tootle puffs just weren't suppressing my cravings ...at the time the beast tank was the one that did it for me keeping me off the stinkies for good ....even now I like a thick vape, although less than I used to ...I'm drawn more toward the lower wattage spectrum and flavour these days. I rarely go above 80w even when using Chunky coils.
Starting to really appreciate single coil attys with smaller chambers, requiring about 40w as batteries and juice last a lot longer yet flavour is great

The higher wattage coils drink juice bloody quick so if your not yet into DIY I suggest you take it up lol...

some of the coils you see like the Smok TF-T8 on the beast tank don't even start waking up until 70w but unless your running some kind of crazy coil configuration in a huge ass deck like the voltrove I don't see why you'd ever need to go above 160w it would be super hot by that point

Last edited:

Crunchyblack

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Some people need to go balls to the wall all the time. It depends on personal preference I guess.

So i have a Smok G-Priv with the silly and useless though flashy touch screen (its more annoying than its worth) and the screen lock accidentally went off while on a road trip, the way you hold the damn thing i was hitting increase wattage until it hit 220W, which exceeded recommended coil specs. I had just bought some new strawberry custard and i couldn't believe how sharp and sort of burnt (figured it was a creme brulee thing) tasted, was kinda gross. realized what i was doing (first time my imgen batteries dropped below 90% btw, this was after 6 hours in a car and not going below 95% and half my tank of juice)....I really dont see how anything over maybe 80W could be enjoyable, just harsh imo....and ive ripped bongs, smoked blunts, went through a pack a day in a past life...my clouds were smaller because of how much the hits stung at 220W, feel like i can go big on 40W and have decided 50W is good for me.

Thanks for all the info everyone. Still cant figure out a solid "why" for going balls to the wall on wattage, but hey, each their own.

Crunchyblack

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
See the problem?

Absolutely!

I feel ive experimented enough with wattage to comfortably say im a 50W kind a guy though. Other than showing off i dont see any reason to really go above 100W, as someone whos smoked a lot of smoke in his life, im just not looking to replicate the harshness of a huge hot cloud. Feel like i can get bigger clouds with a colder hit tbh. If i could do my initial vape buy in again id definitely go for a smaller set up that didnt have a touch screen and the ability to go so high in wattage since i dont see myself ever going above 60 let alone 100W.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm not sure you're getting it. You put too much power to your coil, and burned your juice. A coil that needed more power than yours wouldn't have given you the same bad experience.
For example: I have a single coil setup that I vape at 50W, and a dual coil setup that I vape at 120W. The higher wattage setup isn't significantly warmer than the lower, because it needs that extra power to perform properly. Plus, I use more airflow on the dual. More air = cooler vape.
"So why bother?", you may wonder. Well, some atties just need dual coils. They are designed that way.
Some vapers never use more than 10W, and may call you crazy for using 40W. Everyone is different.

Crunchyblack

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well my initial question was more the reasoning for having such a high wattage, which has been clearly explained having to do with more complexities with builds ect. My set up as it stands does well at 40w-60W which....*gasp* is the stated best use range for my baby beast tank.

I guess my thought process is why, but then thats been explained. Yeah ive tasted the results of going overboard, though accidental.

Either way i guess you could say this newbie underestimated the complexities to vaping, stuff like this is going to be helpful for the eventuality i need to replace my atomizer/tank set up, or the eventuality my touch screen gimmick breaks lol...and i need to replace.

Sort of one of those situations where you are looking for a simple easy explanation and the answer is complex because of all the variables and options related...interesting stuff and i really appreciate the solid answer. Good forum glad i joined!

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I know what you mean. I vaped my first year pretty much clueless lol. Everything seems complex when you realize there's more to it than what the salesperson at the B&M told you. We all find our own path eventually. Sometimes that path goes down dead ends, or even backwards. Just keep doing whatever makes you happy, and keeps you healthy.

Crunchyblack

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah the whole part i wrote about accidentally going to 220W and everything tasting burnt. Well i had to eventually junk that coil it started leaking. Coil was brown/black and the cotton burned so it was time to discard (didnt notice how much burnt cotton added "flavor" until i swapped out and went "oooh it really was burnt"). Back up coils are the smok T6 .2's Had to raise the wattage and they work magnificently at 80w imo. So now that im on a whole different coil im understanding how it all works....every coil has its sweet spot. I suck down more juice (well i have 6 coils now instead of 4 so i get that) and i get much bigger clouds.

Guess its better long term to use a device and batteries at 50% capability than continually testing their limits. Really glad i have the customization options too rather than going with a cheaper device that uses one set up. Also picked up a UWELL Crown 3 back up tanks, like the whole concept of changing coils without taking the tank apart, kind of plug n play style coil removal without needing to go inside the tank. Saving that set up for a rainy day. Not sure if ill bust it out when my T6 goes gunky or just reorder more baby beast tanks.

Still torn on the coils. Like my 4 coil as it sipped juice (battery and ejuice) vs the T6 but man...the T6 has the flavor.

VU Sponsors