Become a Patron!

Question about coil building

Irish Eyes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I just received a Marquis Clone and am trying to do a dual coil but can't seem to get them to burn evenly. I am trying for a .5 ohm build, using 24 ga Kanthal, 4mm post and 9/8 wraps. One fires good, from the center out, but the other doesn't start to turn red for a few seconds after the first one is glowing. I've tried adjusting the coils, but no luck. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
I removed one coil and am using a single coil build now, and didn't think of taking a picture before removing the problem coil.

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Coils should be same length away from the post. Sometimes while dry burning if one heats up faster than the other i pinch the one burning faster with tweezers (do not pinch while firing) immediately after to even them out. Also sometimes it can be the positive post screw caught one wire direct and the other is like on the side, not caught as good, or negative post needs tightening. That could be resolved by trial and error or by building sleeper coils.

Tim Vatic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
First, Make sure both coils have the same amount of wraps. then make sure they are both tight in the posts. Make sure the leads are the same length from the post to the coil. You want them to look as similar as possible. then its just a matter of tightening and firing, light them up and squeeze the one that isn't firing and play with it a bit. If you don't have ceramic tweezers make sure your not touching the button when you squeeze the coils. It will take some time. Practice makes perfect.

Tim Vatic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Being familiar with ohms law doesn't hurt either. ;) If you have a smartphone vaper's toolbox is a great free app.

Irish Eyes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have been using Steam Engine for help in coil building. I will look for the vaper's toolbox, love the idea of a mobile app. Haven't seen it for the iPhone yet, just the Android.
Thanks for all the great tips and advice.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have been using Steam Engine for help in coil building. I will look for the vaper's toolbox, love the idea of a mobile app. Haven't seen it for the iPhone yet, just the Android.
Thanks for all the great tips and advice.

what everyone said above is right...I've accidently added an extra wrap and didn't notice till after I cut the leads and had to start all over again...also...checking the screws is important not just before but after you wick as well...the number one problem I have with cheap atty's (I'll buy 5 dollar throw away clones for experimenting with new builds) is that a screw wiggles if I try and put too much cotton threw the coil or my hand twitches while I am pulling it threw...sometimes the screws can come loose on cheaper attys just from use...another thing is that the screw or the post might have a small jag in it from poor machine work and clip your lead as you tighten it down and you won't know till you go to meter it and it's jumping around and won't settle down...sometimes this happens and it's not a clean cut so you'll get a steady resistance reading but the coils won't heat evenly till the heat and tension finishes the job and snaps the lead inside the post not only ruining your coil but leaving a bit of wire in the bottom of the post that can give you hell if you don't know it's there. That situation isn't as common but it's happened to me and drove me nuts for a good hour before I realized the error of my ways :)

Best of luck and happy vaping! :)

VU Sponsors