Become a Patron!

Protected or unprotected?

guppstatus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Cloupor DNA30 on the way! What type of battery do i get? I know i need an 18650, pretty sure higher mah, amps are better, sont vtc's and efests seem to be more highly regarded. Do I want protection for a regulated device or no? Are there any sites that can be recommended for good batteries? I have also heard xtars are a good brand. What about panasonics? Ok, that turned into me sounding like my 7 year old, wanting to know everything at once. Feedback is sorely needed and greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
IMR Li-Mn. Lithium manganese batteries. Also called "high drain", "safe chemistry", "unprotected".

IMR(Li-Mn) are the safest batteries available for vaping. They use safer chemistry, so they don't require a built-in protective circuit like ICRs do. They have higher tolerance to stress, and although they may vent during failure it is less likely to be as dramatic as an ICR. Should protective circuits fail in ICRs they can vent violently in flames and possibly explode.

IMR batteries are used in regulated mods that use buck boost circuitry to achieve variable voltage-wattage,but they are nowalso recommended for single voltage mechanical modsas a safer alternative to protected Li-Ion batteries.

This class will have less capacity in mAh rating compared to protected batteries, but aresuperior when maximum load current is required, such as in regulated mods, mechanical mods using a Kick, or using an RBA.

High qualityIMRsare currently recommended in place of protected ICR Li-Ion for all applications.

Be wary when shopping for batteries.Unprotected ICR batteries shouldNEVERbe used in a mod.

Mechmods (mechanicalAPVs) with RBAs (rebuildable atties) may not work with a protected Li-ion cell because the current demand is too high. A safer-chemistry cell is a better choice.

Recently we found Nitecore Protected ICR 18650 Li-ion batteries can work on APVs perfectly, because the electric current allowed by this kind of protected ICR battery is higher than usual one, it is 4.6A~6.8A.

So it means this ICR battery can work on lots of mods.

Rest batteries after charging
One commonly-reported factor in almost all the incidents we hear of where batteries failed violently while in use is that they were taken directly off the charger and then used immediately, at which point they failed.
Because of this, we think it may be a good idea to rest batteries after charging them. This advice will not be found in the usual 'reference bibles' on batteries, but we see more and different reports than others. Therefore we now advise:
Do not use batteries directly after charging them. Use a battery or batteries you previously charged, and that have rested for several hours. This isespeciallyimportant if using a stacked pair for higher voltage, as statistically the risk is far higher.

Choose and use battery in the right way will not only protect your device but also yourself.

article taken from here http://www.healthcabin.net/helpdesk/knowledgebase.php?article=701

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
highest amps a dna30 can put out is 10 amps. 0.3 ohms at 30 watts = 10 amps. a 20 amp battery is recommended here to stay well in the safe zone. 3100mah flat top efest will give you longest battery life while staying safe in this mod especially if you arent vaping below 0.6 ohms

samsung 25r, efest 2600 mah 35amp, vtc4/5 (hard to get) are some other options just make sure its flat top

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Fortantely my local brickkie saw a shortage coming and stocked in 200 of the vtc5's......I've been slowly depleting his stock lol

guppstatus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the responses guys, going to be ordering some tonight

VU Sponsors