Problems with nitecore d4

Discussion in 'Chargers' started by Nickk, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Nickk

Nickk Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    Been using this charger for about 1.5 years. Everything has been fine until recently when I went ahead and put my batteries in the slots and the LCD screen didn't come on(it should). I unplugged the charger and took my batteries out and tried to the process all over again on another outlet and the same thing happened. So I decided to test it out a bit and put it in the middle of my garage. I was needing to do stuff outside anyways so I grabbed a fire extinguisher and waited. Gave it 2 hours. I noticed the charger itself was hot and the batteries did not charge.

tldr; d4 charger lcd not working and not charging batteries

I don't think my warranty works anymore too which sucks. Any ideas?

2. BigNasty

BigNasty Diamond Contributor Member For 4 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    After I got my 6 bay and tested my freshly charged from a nitecore I only keep the nitecore as failure back up since it was not actually charging the batteries full.

3. MWorthington

MWorthington Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Honestly, it sounds like time for a new charger. I've got the D2 and when I order new batteries next month I'm buying this charger right here

My Nitecore works good electrically, but the slides are really stiff and I'm always leery that I'm gonna tear a battery wrap trying to put 'em in the charger.

Nickk likes this.
  4. BigNasty

BigNasty Diamond Contributor Member For 4 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    LOVE the 2 amp quick charge feature on my luc 6

MWorthington likes this.
  5. Nickk

Nickk Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    I might pick up that charger myself. Have you seen the new nitecore sc4? Thing looks really good. I honestly think the 1.5 years of my original nitecore was money well spent. The fact that it could of caused a fire is a bit unsettling but I guess that's a risk everyone here takes when charging up their mini bundles of power.

MWorthington likes this.
  6. MWorthington

MWorthington Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    The SC4 does look good. I didn't price it but it appears to do a lot of stuff. A lot of people use the Efest charger and like them better than the Nitecores. I was warned before I bought my D2 that the springs in the slides were strong and I might have trouble inserting the batteries with one hand and I didn't listen so this time I'm going with my friends recommendations. ;)

I think a year and a half out of a charger is pretty good with all the circuitry inside. Around here we have a lot of power surges so anything like that is prone getting blown up. :)

Anytime you deal with high current devices there's a certain amount of risk involved. It's not a lot different than plugging in a toaster or an electric heater. You did good by keeping an eye on it.

gopher_byrd likes this.
  7. Mag00711

Mag00711 New Member

Blog Posts:
    I've fixed 3 of these chargers (10 -15 min fix) all with the same issue, in all cases I found it was a brown 1000uF 16v Cap, easy fix, open up, Cap will probably have a swollen head. Desolder cap from board and resolder new cap. I actually used a 1000uF 25v cap in my personal D4 but this involved drilling a 12mm hole in the LCD back support board to accommadate the slight height increase of the 25v Cap.

8. Nickk

Nickk Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    I’m going to save this post. I bought another one so if it ever has this problem I’ll do that. Thank you for letting me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. PoppaVic

PoppaVic Gold Contributor Member For 4 Years

Blog Posts:
    The Luc charger, sadly, won't fit 2x700's. Which is why I suspect I'll keep using the adapters in my mod.