Become a Patron!

Problems with coil Flooding

tritonenneptunus

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've had a problem with my coils flooding and it not clearing when I try to clear it out by blowing lightly or dry burning. Do I just need to replace my coils when this happens?

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
What kind of coils are you using, on what atomizer and at what setting on the battery? And what is your pg/vg ratio?

tritonenneptunus

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm using Kanger coils OCC O.5 Ohms with a TOPTANK nano and a Kanger Subvod battery above>0.4ohm resistance and the pg/vg ratio in my eliquid is 50/50

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I have zero experience with your exact setup, but I can tell you that all tanks I've ever used tend to flood if I "over vape" it - meaning I use it for a longer period than about five minutes of steady vaping.

Coils last people anywhere from one to three weeks or so, depending on usage. Some longer, some a little shorter.

If the problem occurs during steady vaping, I would look at getting at least one other devise as a backup, and switch them around throughout the day before you experience this issue. When you see posters referring to "rotation" this is usually what they mean.

If it occurs after a decent timeframe of changing the coil, one to three weeks, then by all means, change to a new coil. You can also try taking the coil out and soaking it in vodka to clean it and try reusing it later, if you don't mind going through the hassle.

If you are only having the problem intermittently throughout the day, you may want to take a look at how long the device is in use and get a back up - or five or six, lol. I use at least four during the day at work, more once I get home.

tritonenneptunus

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Right, okay. That's probably my problem, vaping TOO much. Lately it's just been PUFF PUFF PUFF PUFF PUFF PUFF PUFF. Lol. Oh and you can clean the coil in vodka? Wow thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it even if you didn't know anything about my set up you were super helpful.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Hopefully it will help you figure out your vaping style, and where to go from here.

I used to have that problem all the time. Everyone just told me I was "sucking it too hard."

However, I figured out I just wasn't letting it cool off once the juice and coil got really warm from chain vaping.

If you don't want to spend for a second set up, at least get a second atty. You can switch the two on the same battery.

If you have the bucks, get at least one more setup, because none of these devises are fool proof. The rule you frequently hear - back ups for your backups - is very true.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yes, you can use vodka to clean coil head on most of the Evod styled tanks. I have an old pill bottle set aside for the task. It has about a fourth of an inch of vodka in it, and a few coil heads. Every so often I give it a gentle shake. When I need coil heads, I will rinse these off in warm water. Then, a nice and easy dry fire using pulses a few times. This usually cleans them up fair enough.

Others suggest boiling the coils out in a sauce pan of boiling water. Guess it works out alright, not tried it. Cleaning coil heads up, can usually let me use that specific head about three times. Then, I look for new ones. They can also be rebuilt if you really desire it. For what little they cost it is usually easier to buy a bulk pack. Vendors carry 5 packs a lot.

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Got an Arctic V8 Mini about 10 days ago. The Tiger Coils, 0.3 ohm kanthal, flood after refilling the tank. Not clearing by blowing it out. This is top fill, no juice control. I don't see o-rings missing or dislodged, and careful not to get juice in the chimney. Any idea if/why the tank is losing pressure, and what to do about it? E liquid is 70/30 VG. Just put in a new Hive coil today. Sure enough, it's working fine on it's 1st tank. What will happen after it gets refilled, we shall see. One thing to mention- I changed to a Crown drip tip, if that makes any difference. It's a bit longer and very slightly narrower than the tip that came with the V8. But it's right after a refill when the problems started with a couple of Tiger coils. Thanks for any insight. At least now I got a lesson on the value of juice control with top fill tanks, though I've not known the tfv4 or Crown to flood, without having that feature.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't have that tank but some Kanger coils are known to be packed to tightly with cotton which causes that problem. Awhile back I seen someone post on this with a solution to the problem. I "think" they carefully loosen the cotton with a pin or something, being careful not to move the coil out of place and short it out. You might check through the older threads.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
DO NOT bother dry burning a cotton or any natural fiber wicked coil. You will burn the cotton ruining your wick, Long before you get the coil hot enough to do any cleaning. Dry burning a cotton wick CAUSES flooding, mainly because it burns the cotton away from the coil.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
In some cases the flooding is from underpowering the coil and you displace more liquid than your vaping from pulling too hard. Slow down your draw if your setting are low. If your hitting it too many times in a short period your just moving juice without completely vaporizing whats on the coil so it will flood. The pin poking the coil as mentioned before will work to loosen up the wicking in the coil but that's more for dryhits than flooding.

Strawberrys18

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
DO NOT bother dry burning a cotton or any natural fiber wicked coil. You will burn the cotton ruining your wick, Long before you get the coil hot enough to do any cleaning. Dry burning a cotton wick CAUSES flooding, mainly because it burns the cotton away from the coil.
Just forget my response, it's kinda confusing.

Last edited:

Strawberrys18

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you flood a coil, try turning the mod upside down and push the fire button for 10 seconds to try to evaporate some of the liquid and give a good blow on the tank to get excess liquid out of the air flow if you can.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't have that tank but some Kanger coils are known to be packed to tightly with cotton which causes that problem. Awhile back I seen someone post on this with a solution to the problem. I "think" they carefully loosen the cotton with a pin or something, being careful not to move the coil out of place and short it out. You might check through the older threads.
use a pin to loosen the cotton in the juice holes. a lot of the occ coils were packed with cotton too tightly. for a .5 coil, 30-35 watts is the right range.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
You guys do realize the OP started this thread last April:teehee:

Alexanders

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Liquid might be pushing down ! Close your airflow when refilling it worked for me. And for kanger tanks...im not too fond of their design with the metal tube lodged into the coil...

Threads old ino lol.

saytar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Right, okay. That's probably my problem, vaping TOO much. Lately it's just been PUFF PUFF PUFF PUFF PUFF PUFF PUFF. Lol. Oh and you can clean the coil in vodka? Wow thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it even if you didn't know anything about my set up you were super helpful.
If you can afford it get a REBUILDABLE RDTA or RTA......................a few minutes, a few (cheap) foot of wire, and a dab (really cheap) of cotton and your set to go.....no more $2.00-3.00 coils every week....................and a waaay better vape...

Then use the old one for "Backup for your backup"...............Trust me you'll buy another rebuildable or two and that one will find a nice home.....clean and on the shelf ......

VU Sponsors