Become a Patron!

Premixed = steeping?

Jaqen

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok, still new to DIY (under two weeks) and first would like to say thank you to everyone for all the info in these threads. I pretty much haven't had to ask a question yet because I always seem to be able to find the answer! I read a post by HIC about mixing a bottle of flavors in order to do small batches instead of trying to measure out .01g of a flavor. Let me interrupt myself real quick, if this question has been covered, please forgive me, I really did do some searching and didn't see the answer!
The question is this, if I premix a bottle of concentrate flavors for my favorite recipe and it's sitting in my closet in between mixing sessions, would the flavors be melding together just like if I were steeping complete juice or would I still need to steep(if required) once I mixed my recipe concentrate with VG and NIC? I hope that makes sense!

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok, still new to DIY (under two weeks) and first would like to say thank you to everyone for all the info in these threads. I pretty much haven't had to ask a question yet because I always seem to be able to find the answer! I read a post by HIC about mixing a bottle of flavors in order to do small batches instead of trying to measure out .01g of a flavor. Let me interrupt myself real quick, if this question has been covered, please forgive me, I really did do some searching and didn't see the answer!
The question is this, if I premix a bottle of concentrate flavors for my favorite recipe and it's sitting in my closet in between mixing sessions, would the flavors be melding together just like if I were steeping complete juice or would I still need to steep(if required) once I mixed my recipe concentrate with VG and NIC? I hope that makes sense!
I make bases all the time. No, if a juice needs time to blend with the nicotine this really doesn't speed it up - at least not for me. But very few of my recipes need much steep time.

Jaqen

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I make bases all the time. No, if a juice needs time to blend with the nicotine this really doesn't speed it up - at least not for me. But very few of my recipes need much steep time.
so the steeping is more the blending of the flavors with the NIC got it. Thanks!! I was assuming it was the flavors melding more than anything. kinda like pasta put in the fridge overnight tastes better since all the flavors came together and soaked into the noodles even more!! haha

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I find that the nic changes the flavors more than anything else. However, as I never use 0 nic who knows LOL And, truth be told, I make bases for pretty much everything, so to do a true test I've have to try it both ways with the same mix.

Jaqen

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I find that the nic changes the flavors more than anything else. However, as I never use 0 nic who knows LOL And, truth be told, I make bases for pretty much everything, so to do a true test I've have to try it both ways with the same mix.
Hmmm. Sounds like experiment time for me! Thanks!

Jaqen

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Once I find an adv recipe I will. Still trying things out and getting a feel for flavors and mixing. Trying to work out my harsh juice issues. Even following pro recipes I'm getting harsh hits. It's only when I add Nic though. I know my nic is good. Vaportek nic fresh and stored in the freezer. Going to be doing hic's troubleshooting guide starting tonight.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Once I find an adv recipe I will. Still trying things out and getting a feel for flavors and mixing. Trying to work out my harsh juice issues. Even following pro recipes I'm getting harsh hits. It's only when I add Nic though. I know my nic is good. Vaportek nic fresh and stored in the freezer. Going to be doing hic's troubleshooting guide starting tonight.
VT nic isn't harsh, so it's either your PG or you need to lower your nic level! OR, you didn't shake the nic before using?

Jaqen

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Only pg I'm using is what's in the flavorings. Mixing for 6mg which is my normal.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Only pg I'm using is what's in the flavorings. Mixing for 6mg which is my normal.
Is your nic coming straight out of the freezer? And I'm assuming it's in VG. So you need to let it warm up first and then shake it well so the nic isn't all in one place! I keep a working bottle of nic in the fridge and the rest in the freezer.

Jaqen

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I do the same. Bought a small bottle of nic, pulled about 30ml into an opaque glass dripper bottle. The bigger bottle is in the freezer and the smaller bottle is in the fridge. It is still somewhat cool when I add it. I don't shake though. Guess I'll shake it more and let it warm up more. And yes, vg nic. I hate throat hit lol

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do the same. Bought a small bottle of nic, pulled about 30ml into an opaque glass dripper bottle. The bigger bottle is in the freezer and the smaller bottle is in the fridge. It is still somewhat cool when I add it. I don't shake though. Guess I'll shake it more and let it warm up more. And yes, vg nic. I hate throat hit lol
As long as you shook it up properly before you separated you should be fine. But do give it an extra shake before you use it! I don't like TH either, but I use pg nic (easier to work with).

How are you measuring the nic?

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Many of the juices I buy are premixed combinations of concentrated flavors which have sat in "somebody else's" closet... Depending on which flavor combination they are, some benefit greatly from aging after mixed and some don't. For instance, Cap or Mama J's custard flavors make far better tasting juices with aging while INW Green Tea & Quince is a shake & vape.

So, to answer your question...it depends...but generally I don't see any aging advantages...only convenience.

Ron
---
"You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain"- Miyamoto Musashi

Jaqen

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
As long as you shook it up properly before you separated you should be fine. But do give it an extra shake before you use it! I don't like TH either, but I use pg nic (easier to work with).

How are you measuring the nic?
Weight. Use both eliquid recipes and an app. Use approx 2.27 g per 30ml

Jaqen

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Many of the juices I buy are premixed combinations of concentrated flavors which have sat in "somebody else's" closet... Depending on which flavor combination they are, some benefit greatly from aging after mixed and some don't. For instance, Cap or Mama J's custard flavors make far better tasting juices with aging while INW Green Tea & Quince is a shake & vape.

So, to answer your question...it depends...but generally I don't see any aging advantages...only convenience.

Ron
---
"You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain"- Miyamoto Musashi
Thanks Ron!

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
smaller bottle is in the fridge

Really don't need to keep that small one in the fridge IMO.
Less problems with separation at room temp.
Unless it's 90 degrees in your house, and you don't use it up in a month:D.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Really don't need to keep that small one in the fridge IMO.
Less problems with separation at room temp.
Unless it's 90 degrees in your house, and you don't use it up in a month:D.
Yes, good point. It can get very hot here, so I just keep mine in the fridge - it's PG based too, so easy to mix!

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yes, good point. It can get very hot here, so I just keep mine in the fridge - it's PG based too, so easy to mix!

The PG/NIC has less issues with separation than VG/NIC me thinks...
And, yes, it's much easier to work with the PG.
My house AC is set to 74-75 deg. in the summer anyway so no problems yet.

Jaqen

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Although the temp doesn't fluctuate much in the house, we generally don't run ac or heat so on REALLY hot days the temp can get up there before we kick the AC on. Maybe it's mental but I feel better with it in the fridge lol.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Question for you @Jaqen. When you got your nic did you give it a good shake before separating it to the smaller bottle? VG nic base separates easily creating what we call hot pockets which are areas of almost pure nic in the VG. If you got one of these "pockets" in your 30 ml working bottle that would explain the harshness of your mixes. You also should shake your working bottle before adding nic to your recipe. Same with flavor concentrates. I give everything a good shake right before adding to my mix. Hell, I catch myself shaking other liquids around the house before using them... :facepalm:

Jaqen

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Question for you @Jaqen. When you got your nic did you give it a good shake before separating it to the smaller bottle? VG nic base separates easily creating what we call hot pockets which are areas of almost pure nic in the VG. If you got one of these "pockets" in your 30 ml working bottle that would explain the harshness of your mixes. You also should shake your working bottle before adding nic to your recipe. Same with flavor concentrates. I give everything a good shake right before adding to my mix. Hell, I catch myself shaking other liquids around the house before using them... :facepalm:
No. That I didn't do. Guess I need to try that. Damn learning curve!

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How much do you have left in your 30 ml working bottle? You may want to consider starting over completely by adding the reminder of that 30 ml bottle back into your freezer bottle ( once warmed to room temp ) and then shake well to make sure it is mixed throughly. Otherwise you really have no idea what your nic concentration is if you did indeed get one of those 'hot pockets'.

Jaqen

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
How much do you have left in your 30 ml working bottle? You may want to consider starting over completely by adding the reminder of that 30 ml bottle back into your freezer bottle ( once warmed to room temp ) and then shake well to make sure it is mixed throughly. Otherwise you really have no idea what your nic concentration is if you did indeed get one of those 'hot pockets'.
Done. Did it last night. If homework allows I'll be mixing a batch of juice up tonight

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ah, very good! I just wanted to mention it because those pockets can wind up being pretty potent. :)

VU Sponsors