Become a Patron!

Powder coated rx200

Joe_kr

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey all, got bored today at work so I took apart my reuleaux and decided to powder coat the front plate and battery door in a "pearlescent" grey. Looks cool, next week I think I'm gonna go for yellow or maybe red. Who knows, I have so many powders to choose from.

Let me know what y'all think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fuseryder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That looks awesome man, I wish I had a way to powder coat

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Joe_kr

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You do. DM me

Joe_kr

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

f5de20c027adefbf0c61b2b39dc9361a.jpg

And a new color.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Nice looking crackle coat. All mods that get painted should be powder coated it is the only of todays paint that will hold up. Some of you that want a powder coat can find someone in town that has powder coating might do it for you. We here get larger items painted like this. There might be kits that you can get to do this I don't remember but I think there is and you will need a oven to heat it somewhere around 400 deg. if I remember right.

Model_A_Ford

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

electrostatic painting seems like it'd be an expensive involved process for an at home weekend project, but I don't know I've never done it.

A shake and bake application would be easy, but I don't think it would look very good. Lik
e the way reloaders coat cast lead with the paint powder in a staticy type plastic tupperware and oven bake.

There's lots of crazy-tough spray finishes. DuraCoat, Cerakote, Gun-Kote, etc.

Krylon is more my spe
ed.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
electrostatic painting seems like it'd be an expensive involved process for an at home weekend project, but I don't know I've never done it.

A shake and bake application would be easy, but I don't think it would look very good. Lik
e the way reloaders coat cast lead with the paint powder in a staticy type plastic tupperware and oven bake.

There's lots of crazy-tough spray finishes. DuraCoat, Cerakote, Gun-Kote, etc.

Krylon is more my spe
ed.
Not really they spray a powder coat and heat it up very easy process it is called powder coating, Electrostaic is all together different process

Model_A_Ford

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think you need positive charged powder enamel , you spray with some sort of pressurized powder sprayer, onto metal that is negatively charged. then heat, reeally hot

Joe_kr

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yea managing the business has my ADD going crazy. Lol. This powder lays on thick, I had to scrape off the posts on the front plate to get it to fit into the frame of the mod.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yea managing the business has my ADD going crazy. Lol. This powder lays on thick, I had to scrape off the posts on the front plate to get it to fit into the frame of the mod.

Well it is like I said the best possible paint you can use it will never wear off. We use to use it on Karts they will get the most abuse of anything and it just held up. Yes it is thick.

Joe_kr

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think you need positive charged powder enamel , you spray with some sort of pressurized powder sprayer, onto metal that is negatively charged. then heat, reeally hot

Correct. The powder is in a "hopper" air pressure pushes the agitated powder to the gun that has an electrode which positively charges the powder. The piece being coated is on a negatively charged bar, which makes the powder stick. Depending on the powder (this powder needed a higher temp) bake it from 390 degrees to 450 degrees for 10-30 min after the oven reaches temp to cure.

I'll take a video of my equipment in use so y'all can see.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Really all the companies ought to be painting them this way. Set up in an assembly it would not cost anymore that reg painting other than the oven heating costs

Joe_kr

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I could do 2000+ reuleaux housings an hour.

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You could probably make some money doing this but not sure if you could profit unless you did it for one of the companies. I'm almost sure it will come to them using this method I sure won't complain.

RatRacer

a touch oɟɟ
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I could do 2000+ reuleaux housings an hour.

Be careful what you wish for. Lol
Let me know when you conquer doing a D3. Wife loves green.

Joe_kr

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I got you. I'll do it tomorrow in green. It may be a little bright, I just have to not be lazy and take it apart

Joe_kr

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'll paint whatever yous guys want. I just won't take anything apart (liability issues) I have A LOT of colors to choose from. Tell me a color and I'll tell you yes or no. DM me for any transactions.

RatRacer

a touch oɟɟ
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got you. I'll do it tomorrow in green. It may be a little bright, I just have to not be lazy and take it apart

Matching close to the wife's car would be getting you bonus points, and a beer when we come up to visit the parents out Medford way..
P5140035copy_zps51bf28c5.jpg

Joe_kr

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
None really, stainless steel covers really well when coating over it, the only thing is the gold powder I used for the last pic lays on kinda thick (but I didn't sand blast any of the previous paint off) meaning the pearl coat. When I put that first coat on it fit like a glove.

@RatRacer the d3 down not come apart well. The 510 connection is pressed into the housing. To be totally honest, it really wasn't built well, the one screw was rusted out and the soldiers sucked ass, I had to re-soldier the pos connection. It satisfied me to fix it

RatRacer

a touch oɟɟ
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@RatRacer the d3 down not come apart well. The 510 connection is pressed into the housing. To be totally honest, it really wasn't built well, the one screw was rusted out and the soldiers sucked ass, I had to re-soldier the pos connection. It satisfied me to fix it

Roger that. I was wondering on that after inspecting mine. Oh well, there's always a wrap or silicone skin option.

drackeo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
GASP!!! WANT!!!! :D

VU Sponsors