Become a Patron!

Postless Decks - I Don't Get It

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello all,

I'm way behind the times on this but I just recently tried out a postless deck on the Dead Rabbit SQ. Leaving what you are I think of that RDA aside, what's the deal with postless decks? I don't see any advantage over post / clamp style. It just seemed like a pain in the ass with the lean clipping and coils getting twisted around. Not knocking anyone for their choice but just curious about the advantages fans see in the postless deck.

Thanks

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
It basically gives you more freedom when building your coils. I don’t have one yet, still debating over dead rabbit and the drop, but I’d imagine the flavor is much better because of the airflow. Having 2 coils next to each other with no post between them could really benefit the flavor since the airflow is going directly under/threw the coils meeting in the middle and then going up between the two coils and threw the drip tip. Don’t know this for fact, just my speculation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don29palms

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
It basically gives you more freedom when building your coils. I don’t have one yet, still debating over dead rabbit and the drop, but I’d imagine the flavor is much better because of the airflow. Having 2 coils next to each other with no post between them could really benefit the flavor since the airflow is going directly under/threw the coils meeting in the middle and then going up between the two coils and threw the drip tip. Don’t know this for fact, just my speculation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't waste your money on a Dead Rabbit. Get the Drop. The Drop and the Dead Rabbit aren't really posless decks. I don't like postless decks. They'r a PITA pre trimming coils with no benefit in performance IN MY OPINION. The only benefit I see to a postless deck is the choice of single or dual coils.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Velocity style deck is hands down the easiest for me. I'm good with postless, hate clamp style. The Drop deck is growing on me.
I'm along the same route, postless and velocity are both equal to me in ease. They are also my two preferred decks to build on for not only ease but air flow. I'm with you in regards to clamp style, I'm not a big fan of them at all.

I do see a fair amount of hype with the Dead Rabbit, what turns me off is the top air flow. Top air kills flavor, bottom is best and side comes in right behind when it comes to flavor. Anything that will get the air under the coils gives the best flavor, top ........... meh.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I'm along the same route, postless and velocity are both equal to me in ease. They are also my two preferred decks to build on for not only ease but air flow. I'm with you in regards to clamp style, I'm not a big fan of them at all.

I do see a fair amount of hype with the Dead Rabbit, what turns me off is the top air flow. Top air kills flavor, bottom is best and side comes in right behind when it comes to flavor. Anything that will get the air under the coils gives the best flavor, top ........... meh.
I love my top af rtas. Haven't tried top af rda, but I prefer side af on a rda. Less potential for leaking. Just plain don't want to fiddle.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I love my top af rtas. Haven't tried top af rda, but I prefer side af on a rda. Less potential for leaking. Just plain don't want to fiddle.
Only top airflow I like are from Mose and Darang RDA's along with Uwell D2 RTA. Air comes in from the top but is channeled down the side then up under the coils. A good bottom air RDA won't leak unless you overdrip, example is the Reload and Lycan which are up there with my favorite Atty's. I can (as Grimm would say) Bleah down the middle without any issues of leaking. With the bottom airflow though the flavor is outstanding.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Interesting and valid pros. I’m old and afraid of change. I didn’t want anything to do with clamp style decks until I got a goon in trade and ended up loving it. IMO the easiest deck ever to build on is the twisted messes style. Speaking of which, there is a new version of the TM out and it looks nice. One thing I love about it is, it’s set up for a 510 and comes with an 810 adaptor, not the other way around.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I beg to differ, they're very simple to build on, lots of room, simple to wick so they're very much an improvement like for example over the old 3 post decks and even over a lot of two post and four post decks.
Some are, some seem to just be different.

2 post decks or the canyon style like the Wasp are what I like to use..
Goon style are ok but not preferred.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Amen to that! Wish my first rda had been postless.
My second was the Hannya, that's when I fell in love with postless. 22mm but huge amount of room, still love that little bugger. Another postless I really dig is the Tobeco Symbiote, it's a 22mm triple coil postless. Lots of room for triple coils then of course simple to build on and wick.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So my first and only postless goes in the mail Monday to be traded but I kinda want one for my collection. Anyone own a cosmonaut rda? I’ve always liked the looks of those and from what I understand they are squonkable now.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So my first and only postless goes in the mail Monday to be traded but I kinda want one for my collection. Anyone own a cosmonaut rda? I’ve always liked the looks of those and from what I understand they are squonkable now.
It's a good RDA and yes there is a squonk kit for it

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Postless and velocity can’t go wrong prefer them both over clamp systems my absolute favourite is the lip and screw system like on the wasp or the VLS so easy to build on and clip away the lead afterwards

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Postless and velocity can’t go wrong prefer them both over clamp systems my absolute favourite is the lip and screw system like on the wasp or the VLS so easy to build on and clip away the lead afterwards
Lip and screw? Is that similar to the Gorge, it is easy enough to build on.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I find postless decks frustrating to build on - or maybe I just suck at guesstimating leg length :giggle:
Most postless decks if you use the side/base of the deck as a guide it will be a perfect leg length.

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I have some BFDFT tanks. Postless and I run 5mm fused claptons in them.
They work fine and hold a ton of juice. And no, they don't leak.
Just have to know how to build and operate them. ( which took a few builds)
Got em on sale for $16.00 each and loving them so far.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Postless systems just seem more likely to dribble when one removes the cap and a bit overly mechanically complicated to suit me.

Harder to clean?

Pulse 22 postless, squonk compatible .....its easy peasy ...flavor is unbelievable....i love it
e00bf929130a2b4715ed222aafa5cf0d.jpg
32550bf9b6fb04143e2309cfbad88627.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hello all,

I'm way behind the times on this but I just recently tried out a postless deck on the Dead Rabbit SQ. Leaving what you are I think of that RDA aside, what's the deal with postless decks? I don't see any advantage over post / clamp style. It just seemed like a pain in the ass with the lean clipping and coils getting twisted around. Not knocking anyone for their choice but just curious about the advantages fans see in the postless deck.

Thanks
Easier to me ...way easy

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Misunderstood your question. The Zeus deck captures a single wire well. The dual coil rda I sent home with my friend has a 27g ss build I installed for her. Can't remember what it is, some clone from FT. Easiest one I had to wick for her to learn on.

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Don't waste your money on a Dead Rabbit. Get the Drop. The Drop and the Dead Rabbit aren't really posless decks. I don't like postless decks. They'r a PITA pre trimming coils with no benefit in performance IN MY OPINION. The only benefit I see to a postless deck is the choice of single or dual coils.
I'll second this, was torn between the two and my local B&M guy steered me toward the Drop, very glad I got one. My buddy got a DR afterwards and I wasn't a fan. He admits he likes the Drop better :)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

minimag03

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

The CSMNT is my favorite RDA. The deck offers some very unique perks over standard decks. The low profile of the deck allows for a very small RDA without sacrificing any performance and still maintaining proper airflow that surrounds the coils. The wicks basically lay on top of the deck, so your liquid has like 5mm to travel before it gets to the coils (my favorite aspect since I'm bad for chain vaping; this is my biggest problem with the Drop/Dead Rabbit). It holds a lot more liquid than you'd imagine too. It also pulls of single coils very well, way better than any other 24mm RDA I've owned. Plus all the normal perks you'd get with a good RDA like smooth airflow, nice tolerance, classy style, etc... It's given me better flavor than any side airflow RDA I've tried (subjective, I know).

It has a few drawbacks as well though. The screws will twist flat wire leads. It's a horrible problem because District5ve could have easily put the screws on the other sides of the rectangular post thingy; I cannot imagine why they didn't do this and it bugs me. It has has a learning curve of coil height (too high and it gets hot/too low and flavor can be muted) and coil placement (toward airflow vs. in middle). And of course, it's one of those RDAs that require the leads to be evenly cut. But when you get those aspects right with the CSMNT...you'll be in heaven.

District5ve also makes a "Shawty" cap which replaces the barrel and AFC which drastically reduces the volume of the chamber. It makes flavor even more intense.

I bought my CSMNT for $35 in December using a random coupon code I found on Reddit from like a year ago lol. I wasn't sure if I'd like it, but since it was cheap enough I gave it a try. Knowing what I know now, I'd pay full price for one without thinking twice (which says a lot cause I'm CHEAP). If District5ve came out with an updated version that fixed the post screw placement, I'd also pay full price for it.

They are squonk-able now btw, but the kit costs like $15 so be prepared for that extra expense.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Lip and screw? Is that similar to the Gorge, it is easy enough to build on.

Hmm sort of although with some RDAs they place the mounting right at the side of the post (wasp, VLS, Haku all do it)

gorge hasn’t got that so does mean you have to remove one of the screws sometimes ......an extra step if someone is extra lazy this is gonna be the end of the world hahaha

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The CSMNT is my favorite RDA. The deck offers some very unique perks over standard decks. The low profile of the deck allows for a very small RDA without sacrificing any performance and still maintaining proper airflow that surrounds the coils. The wicks basically lay on top of the deck, so your liquid has like 5mm to travel before it gets to the coils (my favorite aspect since I'm bad for chain vaping; this is my biggest problem with the Drop/Dead Rabbit). It holds a lot more liquid than you'd imagine too. It also pulls of single coils very well, way better than any other 24mm RDA I've owned. Plus all the normal perks you'd get with a good RDA like smooth airflow, nice tolerance, classy style, etc... It's given me better flavor than any side airflow RDA I've tried (subjective, I know).

It has a few drawbacks as well though. The screws will twist flat wire leads. It's a horrible problem because District5ve could have easily put the screws on the other sides of the rectangular post thingy; I cannot imagine why they didn't do this and it bugs me. It has has a learning curve of coil height (too high and it gets hot/too low and flavor can be muted) and coil placement (toward airflow vs. in middle). And of course, it's one of those RDAs that require the leads to be evenly cut. But when you get those aspects right with the CSMNT...you'll be in heaven.

District5ve also makes a "Shawty" cap which replaces the barrel and AFC which drastically reduces the volume of the chamber. It makes flavor even more intense.

I bought my CSMNT for $35 in December using a random coupon code I found on Reddit from like a year ago lol. I wasn't sure if I'd like it, but since it was cheap enough I gave it a try. Knowing what I know now, I'd pay full price for one without thinking twice (which says a lot cause I'm CHEAP). If District5ve came out with an updated version that fixed the post screw placement, I'd also pay full price for it.

They are squonk-able now btw, but the kit costs like $15 so be prepared for that extra expense.
Wow thanks for the full report!

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Posts use up a certain amount of deck space. Without posts you can use bigger outside diameter coils in the same deck space. Posts also have a significant amount of mass as part of the deck so the deck will retain heat longer....but on the flip side of that will also take longer to heat up in the first place. If you wanna know how long to clip the leads just put a spare bit of wire in there and measure it, it's really not that hard. Also because you have pre-clipped the leads it means once they are in then that's it - there is no further trimming to do and you won't be damaging the other coil accidentally. I'm not mad at velocity decks but they generally put the posts too wide which means that any larger coils have to be twisted up toward the center of the deck to avoid shorts. The posts should be slightly in towards the center like on the cyclon RDA which means the coils can come straight out the posts and straight back in without a lot of dicking around and those big top down phillips screws are also great - especially compared to tiny sideways grub screws that suck. So with the velocity deck the posts have to be super wide - because they also need to have a few mm of threading sideways to contain the suck screws.

Easiest to build on does not equal best to build on or even best design - just easiest.
Also easiest to strip grub screws on.
Man.... grub screws suck on any deck.
Down with grub screws!

Also ...all postless decks have grub screws although obviously the threading part is better as it fully contains the grub screw...but grub screws still suck ... so theres that. Fuck grub screws.

b34ebc14812246ecbd573d29c122397a.jpg

VU Sponsors