WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Crazy build brother
Appreciate the follow btw , and i wish i have seen your sfc tip before i tried

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk
Thank you :D
And there's a ton of ways to stagger. Everyone does it a little different. I spent the better part of last year staggering via foced-parallel-claps and removing the first run. I had tried all sorts of methods that didn't require double the wire and never really found one that was to my liking. Over the holidays I pulled back on building quite a bit. Since I started up again I decided I was sick of wasting wire and set out to find a loop method that worked for me. I had tried a lot of different loop methods in the past but none of them worked quite right for me. Or more accurately, they didn't work consistently enough for me. I had the most success with mind_forge's loop/clip method and Jewbsters clip/imprint methods. But I couldn't find a clip that worked right for loop/clip. And the clip/imprint only worked really well with 40g ... plus you have to reapply new tape every time you use it. So, I kinda combined the two using a mini-clip, since the wood has a little give I figured it would hug the wires nicely without damaging them while they spin inside.

My point is that the more information you get the better. Don't stop looking just because something works. Don't be afraid to tweak a technique. because more than likely you can make it work better FOR YOU if you keep trying different things.

SoiDog

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Thank you :D
And there's a ton of ways to stagger. Everyone does it a little different. I spent the better part of last year staggering via foced-parallel-claps and removing the first run. I had tried all sorts of methods that didn't require double the wire and never really found one that was to my liking. Over the holidays I pulled back on building quite a bit. Since I started up again I decided I was sick of wasting wire and set out to find a loop method that worked for me. I had tried a lot of different loop methods in the past but none of them worked quite right for me. Or more accurately, they didn't work consistently enough for me. I had the most success with mind_forge's loop/clip method and Jewbsters clip/imprint methods. But I couldn't find a clip that worked right for loop/clip. And the clip/imprint only worked really well with 40g ... plus you have to reapply new tape every time you use it. So, I kinda combined the two using a mini-clip, since the wood has a little give I figured it would hug the wires nicely without damaging them while they spin inside.

My point is that the more information you get the better. Don't stop looking just because something works. Don't be afraid to tweak a technique. because more than likely you can make it work better FOR YOU if you keep trying different things.
For sure. Only reason i could do sfc and framed staple on first try , is because i watched alot of tutorials on youtube.
Is there anyone else than n.devine running live builds?

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
For sure. Only reason i could do sfc and framed staple on first try , is because i watched alot of tutorials on youtube.
Is there anyone else than n.devine running live builds?

As far as I know Nick is the only one who does consistent live builds. I know a lot of builders do live stuff on IG. But I've never really paid close attention to who and when. Meg used to do them fairly regularly. But she seems to have disappeared from the community for the past few months. I loose interest in live build sessions unless the creator is extremely interactive or I know people in the chat I can hang out with. There's to much sitting for 5 mins at a time while they clapton. Or 15 mins of intricate fusing that, in the end, is just repetition. I like Nick a lot. He is one of the cornerstones of the interactive build community. But his style is to "long form" for me. I like quick bursts of knowledge, tips, and tricks. I've considered making like a modern builders basics series in short form. But, for the most part, Doode covers 90% of it in a great format and ohmboy josh, ohmboy OC, Kent, and some nuggets from random other builders is more than enough to get anyone on their way. In the end I would just be another random builder dropping little nuggets that already exist and are pretty easy to find. So when I have something I feel is different enough to share, or I get enough requests for s specific thing, I will typically make a post about it on a couple of platforms about it. If it helps some people then I'm happy enough with that.

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Some of my wire has alot of kinks , and its totally screwing me over atm.
Start to think i should get all my wire from kidney puncher.
Any tips or trics?

There's no denying the better overall quality ... but KP wire is so godamn expensive. I hear coil societies ribbon is spooled amazingly well and it's middle of the road pricing. Lightning Vapes is decently priced and, recently, upped their game a bit in the ribbon department.

I use Crazy Wire based out of the UK. Their shit is dirt cheap and really decent wire. Most of their spooling is pretty bleh. The 40g and over catches a lot. Most of their ribbon is either kinked or spooled to tight and curved like a mofo. I have entire spools of unusable .4 ribbon. But honestly ... in the end they are so cheap I can buy 2 or 3 ,sometimes more, 200m (660 ft) spools and still spend less than buying KP or TwistedMesses 500ft spools. And you learn how to get around all but the most major flaws in the ribbon.

They run specials all the time. % off, buy x get x free, free shipping. They have a ridiculous selection. You actually get choices within gauges ... i.e. 28g is .32mm they may have some .3 for sale as well. I have a spool of .45x.1 ribbon. I've never seen that anywhere else. They have a full selection of alloys ... all the standards, new and old, plus extras. They even have a small selection of the trademarked KA1. The biggest drawback is a week or so for shipping to the South Eastern US. The bonus is shipping is only like 8 bucks no matter how much you buy.

I know I sound like a salesman ... but I'm not sponsored or anything. I just like to let people know that just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's absolute garbage. You just have to know most of the consequences that come with the low price tag on this company come in the spooling techniques.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I would use all KP or TM wire if I could but @WPMac is right, it's crazy expensive and the results aren't that much better. I use everything from KBeewholesale, Kingorchid on Ebay, 270Wirez, KP, and Master of Clouds...it all works just fine, I haven't used Crazy Wire but I've heard good things.

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Some of my wire has alot of kinks , and its totally screwing me over atm.
Start to think i should get all my wire from kidney puncher.
Any tips or trics?

I personally use KP wire. I know the main objection to that is it is expensive and I understand. I've heard good things about Jacob's and Coil Society's wire. I just happen to be a spoiled fucking brat :rolleyes: (jk).

SoiDog

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I personally use KP wire. I know the main objection to that is it is expensive and I understand. I've heard good things about Jacob's and Coil Society's wire. I just happen to be a spoiled fucking brat :rolleyes: (jk).
Haha liked the last comment.
I'm using crazywire and kp. All my ribbons is kp , but most round is cw.
At lower gauges i dont care mutch about kinks , but with higher it matters quite abit.
But....it might just be about experience , and i surely need more

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Stay within your budget dudes. Nothing wrong with the cheaper wire and in fact its better to use the cheaper stuff when learning to build more complex coils. I started off using KP but looking back at how much wire I wasted, I wish I would have started with the cheaper wire first.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Stay within your budget dudes. Nothing wrong with the cheaper wire and in fact its better to use the cheaper stuff when learning to build more complex coils. I started off using KP but looking back at how much wire I wasted, I wish I would have started with the cheaper wire first.
Maybe you're right. I have much more to learn and have builds to attempt. Ththinking maybe some 30/40g n80 fused claptons.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Maybe you're right. I have much more to learn and have builds to attempt. Ththinking maybe some 30/40g n80 fused claptons.

It's entirely up to you dude. Just mentally prepare yourself to waste wire once you get into multicore aliens, at least until you find your sweet spot for the stretch and tension. Shit, I still struggle with trying to alien 36GA over three 28GA cores, lol. 38GA I'm fine with but 36 is a pain in my arse.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It's entirely up to you dude. Just mentally prepare yourself to waste wire once you get into multicore aliens, at least until you find your sweet spot for the stretch and tension. Shit, I still struggle with trying to alien 36GA over three 28GA cores, lol. 38GA I'm fine with but 36 is a pain in my arse.
I had only one failed attempt at aliens. The sweet spot for the stretch is that you should be seeing 90 degree angles when you let go of the tension and you hold a white sheet of paper behind it. When in doubt you can use the kind of plastic reading glasses that are 3× magnification, and, the sweet spot for the tension precisely is equal to the exact amount of tension that is necessary for keeping it snug. The easiest way to completely fuck it up is to apply more tension and/or to add sliders, bent paperclips, a key ring, mini clothespins, or "alien makers" (I prefer to call them alien exterminators). The hardest part is to put equal tension on all 3 cores. Second hardest is to finally stop listening to noob advice by, instead, going full speed on the drill. If it still doesn't work immediately after that, either you're doing something very wrong or you're just using shitty swivels.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well we can't all be professional. I for one find the alien makers to work wonders. Of course they're used to keep the cores together because sometimes I just can't get the tension right. Like doing drum brakes on a car. You don't need the hook tool for the big spring. But using it helps a lot. It seems most of the noobs have come here and are helping each other from their own experience. Which if it works for them then it's perfect.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
<-- <-- Noob, right here. I'll take all the advice I can get LOL

I've been building on and off for a while and still look at all the advice as something new. But to tell someone your just fucking up because I can do it this way and if you're not then it's wrong is idiotic.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been building on and off for a while and still look at all the advice as something new. But to tell someone your just fucking up because I can do it this way and if you're not then it's wrong is idiotic.
I so very much agree. Those idiots are helping nobody. I was just in a back and forth with this jerk in another thread. I had to stop because he was making me irate LOL

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
So long as the build is usable i dont feel its a waste. Just needs improvement is all
TRUTH ... if I make a stick I vape it no matter how bad it looks (well most of the time unless I'm doing something you can't wick.) Sometimes it's only vaped a few times cause regardless of how pretty a build is it doesn't mean it's a good vape lol. But it's kind of a rule for me to always vape my coils

It seems most of the noobs have come here and are helping each other from their own experience. Which if it works for them then it's perfect.
Honestly that is how most of us learned. While there is lots of crossover ... the members of the community tend to gravitate towards builders on their level. So we all band together and teach each other what we've learned at our current level. While getting some insight from the more accomplished builders and passing that around as well. It's one of the reason I love these forums over social media. This is a completely open atmosphere where vets and noobs alike can sit down and discuss the craft.

Well we can't all be professional. I for one find the alien makers to work wonders. Of course they're used to keep the cores together because sometimes I just can't get the tension right. Like doing drum brakes on a car. You don't need the hook tool for the big spring.
<-- <-- Noob, right here. I'll take all the advice I can get LOL
I've said it 100 times and I'll continue to say it. Do what works FOR YOU!! Take advice and try different things. When an accomplished builder gives you advice maybe take it a little more to heart ... but in the end your the one that has to decide if something works ... your the one who has to actually spin the wire in a way that is comfortable.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
TRUTH ... if I make a stick I vape it no matter how bad it looks (well most of the time unless I'm doing something you can't wick.) Sometimes it's only vaped a few times cause regardless of how pretty a build is it doesn't mean it's a good vape lol. But it's kind of a rule for me to always vape my coils

Honestly that is how most of us learned. While there is lots of crossover ... the members of the community tend to gravitate towards builders on their level. So we all band together and teach each other what we've learned at our current level. While getting some insight from the more accomplished builders and passing that around as well. It's one of the reason I love these forums over social media. This is a completely open atmosphere where vets and noobs alike can sit down and discuss the craft.

I've said it 100 times and I'll continue to say it. Do what works FOR YOU!! Take advice and try different things. When an accomplished builder gives you advice maybe take it a little more to heart ... but in the end your the one that has to decide if something works ... your the one who has to actually spin the wire in a way that is comfortable.
Very sound advice. Sometimes though, I personally need someone to say slow down. I get going too fast or ahead of myself at times haha.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well we can't all be professional. I for one find the alien makers to work wonders. Of course they're used to keep the cores together because sometimes I just can't get the tension right. Like doing drum brakes on a car. You don't need the hook tool for the big spring. But using it helps a lot. It seems most of the noobs have come here and are helping each other from their own experience. Which if it works for them then it's perfect.
I don't consider myself professional at coil building. Rather, I just listened to experienced coil builders like m.terk because life's too short to fuck around wasting spools of perfectly good 27g Nichrome 80. :D

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Very sound advice. Sometimes though, I personally need someone to say slow down. I get going too fast or ahead of myself at times haha.

Good idea... tell stubborn people to slow down so that they'll go full speed on the drill. :cheers:

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I listen to all. Some advice helps some not. But im always getting better. Like said above i also vape all usable builds. Even if just for a lil bit. So i can see and taste what techniques work and dont.

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
That's gorgeous. Can't wait to try it out!

Once again... looks amazing.
Thanks guys, when I decided I was going to... build for others... sell coils... whatever you want to call it my main concern was just that people would like the coils. I knew all of the coils that vaped well for me, but different people have different setups and different preferences so there was a little bit of pressure at first to try my best to stick to the fundamental principals of building so I would have the best chance at making the people who donate to me happy. I don't want to jinx myself, but I am super fortunate that not one person I have sent coils out to has told me they were unhappy in anyway. There's obviously a lot of good builders that have been a part of this forum and I try to take something from each of them and reach out to each of them at some point. The fact that we have this community is just an amazing thing. We are one big happy disgruntled family!!!:giggle:jk

Severinomotta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Hey you guys, been away a bit. But like these wire discussion.

To be honest, for me wire is like a guitar. Gimme a Stratocaster and I won’t play like Eric Clapton. But toss a 50 buck guitar in Clapton’s hand and I’m sure he will make a awesome sound.

KP and TM are super good. I try to use KP as much as I can, is my favorite, but toss CS, Lightining Vapes, Crazy Wire or Juice Junkies in @raymo2u or @WPMac hands, for example, and we will see awesome builds for sure.

That said, in actually I was here just to post a strange razor thing I did recently ;) and keep it up with you guys :)

Best fellows

Ps: @WPMac , wonder where Peg is, she’s really missing for a few months now.. Hope she hadn’t quite the building, great builder she is (Yoda feelings, lol)

31924170-5C6A-465A-B177-EC53B24FA231.jpeg FE56E866-2FBC-4F46-8FC3-020E4BC5C31E.jpeg 467CB154-7F04-48DF-BB45-1FFB65207317.jpeg FA213EEB-E6EE-4065-9345-06397BF11A08.jpeg

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Ps: @WPMac , wonder where Peg is, she’s really missing for a few months now.. Hope she hadn’t quite the building, great builder she is (Yoda feelings, lol)
Pegleg Meg has been dealing with some personal issues of late. I'm hoping she's well and hopefully we'll see her back here soon.

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks guys, when I decided I was going to... build for others... sell coils... whatever you want to call it my main concern was just that people would like the coils. I knew all of the coils that vaped well for me, but different people have different setups and different preferences so there was a little bit of pressure at first to try my best to stick to the fundamental principals of building so I would have the best chance at making the people who donate to me happy. I don't want to jinx myself, but I am super fortunate that not one person I have sent coils out to has told me they were unhappy in anyway. There's obviously a lot of good builders that have been a part of this forum and I try to take something from each of them and reach out to each of them at some point. The fact that we have this community is just an amazing thing. We are one big happy disgruntled family!!!:giggle:jk
Starting a new gig Monday so I'll be coming to you soon for some aliens brother! :D

VU Sponsors