Become a Patron!

Post your builds

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Definitely some jenky shit going on but it'll get better in time. I swear aliens are easier, lol. But hey, at least they are decent enough to vape which is better than ending up as scrap for the recycling bin. :teehee:

3 26GA cores with 36 wrapping them.

View attachment 134603
View attachment 134604
First off ... this aint bad at all. 6 coils and only a couple of visible hiccups. This is really respectable work man!

Could be a couple of things
1) Aliens aren't easier. It's a case that you expect aliens to be more difficult so you pay closer attention while making them.
2) Decores are "pre-bent" so they already have a desire to lay a specific way. They can be a little more forgiving on the fuse angle.
3) 36g is some beefy wire. The bigger the wire the tighter you have to hold it to get it to lay flat. The tighter you hold it the less forgiving it is.
4) Wire is what it is. Sometimes it's user error sometimes it's the materials. Sometimes you won't know which one caused the problem.

Just keep spinning that wire!

SoiDog

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Hi.
Adding some of my builds since i started building my own coils.
3b4548b2c2a06b94b675dd028cde0885.jpg
636746f9e8249bfef69781445b6cc0bc.jpg
527bf23516659871d7df98f273a1ce75.jpg
12655bb63872477441584ecc724678cf.jpg
2eaf7bc446ee9e67c51ec8e7ed696f04.jpg
74d7ee1ae304693fd3326bc25fcaa2c6.jpg
697ab63931e1dacac89dc951315171c8.jpg
b5cae3138470e5f1c68e51316d74e0d5.jpg
28acb6889034827cf260598ec3a660e3.jpg

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
First off ... this aint bad at all. 6 coils and only a couple of visible hiccups. This is really respectable work man!

Could be a couple of things
1) Aliens aren't easier. It's a case that you expect aliens to be more difficult so you pay closer attention while making them.
2) Decores are "pre-bent" so they already have a desire to lay a specific way. They can be a little more forgiving on the fuse angle.
3) 36g is some beefy wire. The bigger the wire the tighter you have to hold it to get it to lay flat. The tighter you hold it the less forgiving it is.
4) Wire is what it is. Sometimes it's user error sometimes it's the materials. Sometimes you won't know which one caused the problem.

Just keep spinning that wire!
Thanks for the tips and encouraging words. I'm still struggling to keep the three cores flat, even with multiple draw string clips along the wires. Just cannot figure out where I'm going wrong. About ready to go back to dual core fused Clapton's, lol.

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
If your using core stabilizers of some sort and are still having issues then it's either uneven tension across the cores, between the drill and the swivels. Or it's to much fuse tension. Or a combination of both. More often than not it's the latter. Fuse tension is one of the hardest things to master.

A third thought ... are your swivels spinning freely? Do they seem to hesitate, or lock up, at all? If so it will cause nasty twisting on the stick. Twisting wants to collapse the cores. To much fuse tension will also cause twisting. A slight twist fairly evenly along the stick is fine.

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If your using core stabilizers of some sort and are still having issues then it's either uneven tension across the cores, between the drill and the swivels. Or it's to much fuse tension. Or a combination of both. More often than not it's the latter. Fuse tension is one of the hardest things to master.

A third thought ... are your swivels spinning freely? Do they seem to hesitate, or lock up, at all? If so it will cause nasty twisting on the stick. Twisting wants to collapse the cores. To much fuse tension will also cause twisting. A slight twist fairly evenly along the stick is fine.
Yeah, I know the tension between the drill and cores is good so its probably too much fuse tension. Im doing it off the spool and letting it spin freely between my thumb and middle finger. I tried fusing without the spool but never could get the feel of the wire between my finger tips.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Yeah, I know the tension between the drill and cores is good so its probably too much fuse tension. Im doing it off the spool and letting it spin freely between my thumb and middle finger. I tried fusing without the spool but never could get the feel of the wire between my finger tips.
I am the opposite. I prefer to let the wire run btween my thumb and finger to controll tension. Kinda gets irritated after a while. Lol

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
@WPMac , thanks again dude. After taking a break for a while I gave it another go but this time I increased the tension with my fingers on the spool and got what I feel is a much better result. Let me know what you think.

View attachment 134644
Excellent! Advice from experienced builders is always valuable ... But when taking it, don't take what they say as gold. The best way to learn is to experiment for yourself. There's a reason one of the mantras of the entire community is "do what works for you". Everyone has different ways of doing things. Of course there are common denominators. But nothing is ever set in stone. In the end the more you work with the wire the more you will get the feel for it ... literally.

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Excellent! Advice from experienced builders is always valuable ... But when taking it, don't take what they say as gold. The best way to learn is to experiment for yourself. There's a reason one of the mantras of the entire community is "do what works for you". Everyone has different ways of doing things. Of course there are common denominators. But nothing is ever set in stone. In the end the more you work with the wire the more you will get the feel for it ... literally.
Definitely agree with you dude. I'm getting to the point I can feel feedback from the cores in my fingers tips while holding the spool. Noticed it last night, a few times I too much tension and felt something like a skip in the spool which was the cores starting to bind up so I stopped to flatten them out right away and started back up with a slightly lighter grip on spool with my finger tips. Slowly but surely it's coming to me, lol.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@WPMac , thanks again dude. After taking a break for a while I gave it another go but this time I increased the tension with my fingers on the spool and got what I feel is a much better result. Let me know what you think.

View attachment 134644
That's some clean looking coils brother. I made my first tri core fused claptons a couple of weeks ago. I was impressed that they actually turned out pretty decent and vape quite well

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Finally ordered my first 2 spools of n80 wire. Got 100' of 26g and 250' of 38g. Think I'll try a regular fused clapton with it. Wanted to see what a little bit beefier fc would be like. Really looking forward to it.

Also finally watched a video on how to install coils on the DPro rda. I feel so dumb now because the solution was so simple. Although I ordered a cutting guide tool with my wire. It was cheap and will make life so much easier now.

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Dude that looks good.
That's some clean looking coils brother. I made my first tri core fused claptons a couple of weeks ago. I was impressed that they actually turned out pretty decent and vape quite well

Thank you kindly gents! :cheers:

The tri-cores are a tasty vape. I know one thing, once I finish this spool of 36GA I'm done with it. 38GA is much easier for me to work with so that's what I'll stick with in the future.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Unfortunately i am out of both those sizes atm. But they r on the shopping list.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Thank you kindly gents! :cheers:

The tri-cores are a tasty vape. I know one thing, once I finish this spool of 36GA I'm done with it. 38GA is much easier for me to work with so that's what I'll stick with in the future.
I love vaping tri cores. Tastes amazing. I am still working on mine not twisting. But im getting there. Slowly but surely.

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Wide boy ... Love it!!
Thanks @WPMac! I started off with a 28g frame .4 ribbon 6ply stack and my original object was to just make a pair of 5.5 wrap Fraliens. In the middle of doing a very typical build (for me) I wondered how many wraps of that particular stack would fit in my Goon atomizer. Turns out that it’s about 8.5 :giggle:. Then I figured I’d try to color it. I might even try vaping it if I feel like a soft but flavorful vape.:)

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks @WPMac! I started off with a 28g frame .4 ribbon 6ply stack and my original object was to just make a pair of 5.5 wrap Fraliens. In the middle of doing a very typical build (for me) I wondered how many wraps of that particular stack would fit in my Goon atomizer. Turns out that it’s about 8.5 :giggle:. Then I figured I’d try to color it. I might even try vaping it if I feel like a soft but flavorful vape.:)
Just throw another one on it and slam it on a stack or series box!!

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It definitely takes some time. I wrap about a half inch at a time, stop to move the slider another half inch and then start the drill again at a slow speed. Takes for what feels like and eternity but it's working so far.
I tried to use a slider, but was having more trouble with it than without the slider on it. So, I personally just get a good groove going and gradually pick up speed with the drill. I should be getting my hands on a cotter pin tomorrow, that will make life so much easier with my tri cores.

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I tried to use a slider, but was having more trouble with it than without the slider on it. So, I personally just get a good groove going and gradually pick up speed with the drill. I should be getting my hands on a cotter pin tomorrow, that will make life so much easier with my tri cores.

I know what you mean dude. I don't like the stopping and starting either but if I don't use a slider the cores tend to bunch up no matter what I try. When I do aliens I don't use a slider and just find that groove and stay there. I'll have to give aliens another go at some point but it's gonna be a bit because I finished off the last of my wire tonight, lol. No biggie, I have plenty of coils to last me for a while.

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
I know what you mean dude. I don't like the stopping and starting either but if I don't use a slider the cores tend to bunch up no matter what I try.
For naked cores and straight wrap wire (aka fused claptons)... With a little practice you can make sliders that move themselves. Somewhere in this thread raymo post a shot of one. If I get a chance today I'll try and see if I can put together a reasonably understandable post about it.

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For naked cores and straight wrap wire (aka fused claptons)... With a little practice you can make sliders that move themselves. Somewhere in this thread raymo post a shot of one. If I get a chance today I'll try and see if I can put together a reasonably understandable post about it.
That would be cool dude. Have the alien makers but I still cannot get them to slide long enough for a good run. Probably a tension thing because they slide easily until I begin to spin the cores and begin to Clapton. When I get more wire I plan to practice without the spool. Maybe the 1,000ft spools are too heavy and put too much tension?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I know what you mean dude. I don't like the stopping and starting either but if I don't use a slider the cores tend to bunch up no matter what I try. When I do aliens I don't use a slider and just find that groove and stay there. I'll have to give aliens another go at some point but it's gonna be a bit because I finished off the last of my wire tonight, lol. No biggie, I have plenty of coils to last me for a while.
Take a 2"-3" piece of Ribbon wire and wrap it loosely around the cores, then lightly pinch it with nylon pliers, it must slide free and smooth. On the drill side of the slider unwind a small bit, bending it straight up, This straight up part bend slightly inwards towards the other end of the slider, not much but just a few degrees away from 90. This way when you fuse the wire hits the bend and forces the slider forward, if you dont use enough fuse tension or the bend is too much then you will just end up claptoning over the slider.

a3e06fac929d81a61c696d9002177ff0.jpg
a957ddf443a98eaf884ec9f7c0ca0e9e.jpg

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Take a 2"-3" piece of Ribbon wire and wrap it loosely around the cores, then lightly pinch it with nylon pliers, it must slide free and smooth. On the drill side of the slider unwind a small bit, bending it straight up, This straight up part bend slightly inwards towards the other end of the slider, not much but just a few degrees away from 90. This way when you fuse the wire hits the bend and forces the slider forward, if you dont use enough fuse tension or the bend is too much then you will just end up claptoning over the slider.

Holy shit, thanks for explaining this and with pics! I'll definitely try this! :cheers:

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
That would be cool dude. Have the alien makers but I still cannot get them to slide long enough for a good run. Probably a tension thing because they slide easily until I begin to spin the cores and begin to Clapton. When I get more wire I plan to practice without the spool. Maybe the 1,000ft spools are too heavy and put too much tension?
I would recommend not using alien makers. There's a degree of tightness that you can achieve when you use just your hands after enough practice. If the wire is level it's actually going to want to become tighter as it finds it's groove until it cannot get any tighter and that usually takes about an inch or so of wrapping for me the rest comes out perfectly. I use 1000 ft spools all the time, you should place your decore under your index finger and over your middle finger, then back under your ring finger to normalize the tension. Make sure there is nothing to snag the decore and once you find your groove I find it's helpful to always keep your decore slightly ahead of where you are binding. Developing steady hands is worth way more than any alien makers and it is practically free. At some point your going to identify a feeling the corresponds to your stretch that tells you the tension is correct. It's very difficult to describe because it is just a feeling, but you know it when you get it and once you have it I think it tends to stay with you.

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

AND THIS ^^^ all day long every day especially on holidays.

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I like using .4 or Larger ribbon, .5 is preferable. Only use 4-6 wraps, anything more or less likes to snag.
.4 and .5 are my go to ribbon sizes to. The only thing I've ever found .8 to be good for is Tiger Wire (twisting a round wire with a piece of ribbon). Tiger wire was one of my very first go to builds when I was just starting out. I've always loved ribbon wire even from the beginning. I'll use .3 if I have to because of a resistance issue or something but what I keep in stock is all .4 and .5.

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Ha ha, I don't seem to have a problem with keeping tension on the spool. :teehee:

Is there a preference to size of the ribbon used? In the pic it looks like .8 ribbon.
I almost always use .4 Kanthal. The Kanthal is stiff enough to hold shape. And I use .4 because I have a shit spool (250 meters) of it so I converted it into a scrap spool. I've got sliders for life lol

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I almost always use .4 Kanthal. The Kanthal is stiff enough to hold shape. And I use .4 because I have a shit spool (250 meters) of it so I converted it into a scrap spool. I've got sliders for life lol
You’re the master of staggers :D. Question, do you use Kanthal because it is a resistance issue of do you actually prefer the taste over say N80 or SS?:popcorn:

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
You’re the master of staggers :D. Question, do you use Kanthal because it is a resistance issue of do you actually prefer the taste over say N80 or SS?:popcorn:
Thank you sir :D ... Though I don't consider myself a master of anything. No doubt that I can get a pretty consistent stagger. But 'master' feels like an awfully strong word to me.

Just to be clear, the statement you quoted me on was in response to using ribbon for sliders.

As far as building coils. I typically use Ni80 round and KA1 ribbon. I do this for a couple of reasons.
1) While I tend to be more of an artistic builder ... I like the majority of my work to be highly functional. I gravitate towards the look of wider builds. Wider builds are hard to keep in a vapable resistance range. Using Kanthal ribbon's higher resistance helps with that.
2) I like contrast ..... a lot. Kanthal colors much slower than Ni or SS. I love the look of the silvery Kanthal against the Colors of other metals.
3) I do not mind kanthal taste so much. But it's not my favorite. I feel like, at least for my vaping style and pallet, Ni80 has the cleanest/best taste of all the metals. I have still yet to get some N90 to see if it's up my alley. Think of my alloy choices in this repect. A framed staple, where the ribbon is K and the Round is Ni or SS, is kind of like a staged build regardless of how you choose to fuse it. The round acts like the staging wire and heats up quickly to warm the ribbon faster. The majority of the coil's taste is going to come from the hottest wires. So, more often than not, I don't even notice the Kanthal taste.

A while ago I switched to Ni80 Ribbon for most of my ADV builds as they tend to be 4-6 ply and that's easy to manage the resistance. I've tried to vape SS a number of times. Maybe it's my vape style or juice choices or pallet but I'm just not a big fan of it. It seems that all I can taste is the metal.

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Had a few requests for my stagger method lately. Made a quick video I figured I'd share with you guys. So far this is the best technique I've found that is as consistent as para-claps or force clapton but saves you the wire. This is only viable for a round wire core.

SoiDog

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Tried 40g for the first time , and i'm happy i bought it.
Being new to building i went ahead and kinda built over my head with framed staples up to 20 ribbons , and staggered fused clapton with four cores.
Also done alot different braids with wrap around(was somewhat hard to coil without the wrap to split).
Now i'm back to basics , with triple and quad core claptons + 6 doubleloop fishtail braid with 40g wrap.
Instead of having a low sucsessrate with advanced builds , i focus more on technic and basics with high sucsess rate and fun.

Give me a follow on IG (Mjolnir_coils)
fd2cb75f965b6345802336e61d852ac4.jpg
870d104a7d7c9a16f4a471ce3a92bd03.jpg

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Tried 40g for the first time , and i'm happy i bought it.
Being new to building i went ahead and kinda built over my head with framed staples up to 20 ribbons , and staggered fused clapton with four cores.
Also done alot different braids with wrap around(was somewhat hard to coil without the wrap to split).
Now i'm back to basics , with triple and quad core claptons + 6 doubleloop fishtail braid with 40g wrap.
Instead of having a low sucsessrate with advanced builds , i focus more on technic and basics with high sucsess rate and fun.

Give me a follow on IG (Mjolnir_coils)
fd2cb75f965b6345802336e61d852ac4.jpg
870d104a7d7c9a16f4a471ce3a92bd03.jpg

Nice Work!! I bet claptoning over a braid is a hell of a task.

VU Sponsors