1. LIVE: DISCUSSWELLNESS.COM LAPTOP GIVEAWAY: *NOW OPEN*

VAPING UNDERGROUNDS FORUM SOFTWARE IS BEING UPGRADED.

Post your builds

Discussion in 'Coil Building' started by Vape_geek, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Shredtravolta

Shredtravolta VU Donator Silver Contributor Member For 3 Years Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
    That sounds like a plan my man.:D I could see that giving a really great vape. Good luck with it, I can't wait to see how it comes out!:popcorn:

zephyr, The_hat_trix, bx10r and 2 others like this.
  2. raymo2u

raymo2u VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 4 Years Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
    During the time when Ceaser was king, he would go to give a speech and the crowd would cheer for him and treat him as if he were a god...Ceaser being a good man ordered one of his staff to always walk behind him and whisper into his ear quietly "Your only a man"....this kept him grounded in reality and it would stop him from actually pulling away from the thought that he is any better than the people he governs.
    I am a product of self motivated drive - coupled with a meticulous mindset, nothing more...I try to motivate myself to become better but I never fail to realize that anyone with the time and motivation will become better than I am.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  3. KarmicRage

KarmicRage Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Well put dude. You're still a monster of a builder though :D

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

gsmit1, WPMac, zephyr and 4 others like this.
  4. GillyDaKidd78

GillyDaKidd78 Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Braided 30g Kanthal. 7 wraps

Attached Files:

mach1ne, The_hat_trix, zephyr and 5 others like this.
  5. KarmicRage

KarmicRage Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Only got round to photographing and vaping an 8 loop celtic last night. Vapes really well, don't have to push much power through it for fast ramp up, I'm vaping at 75w and enjoying it thoroughly. Not sure how you'd label braids but this is 14*33g ni80/2*33g FeCrAl. Was hoping to get one pair of strands showing the weave through the coil but either I need to colour more slowly or I need to up my photography game or both lol[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

jwill, gsmit1, gopher_byrd and 7 others like this.
  6. Shredtravolta

Blog Posts:
    Just wanted to do one more simple build before I took a break, and after that I can attempt some more complicated stuff. The color was beautiful but my piece of **** phone wouldn’t pick it up but the build still looks OK. Should be a good vape.
    92085E36-27C5-41CD-AB2E-860F163EA355.jpeg
    C803A07E-06C6-4CED-A8E4-737F9B7F9FDE.jpeg

7. bx10r

bx10r Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    Ok...heres anothrr attempt
    2x28ni80/36ss316
    38ss316fuse
    25ss316 stage

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

8. bx10r

Blog Posts:
    Better? Vaped like shit on the goon..but on the rabbit. Golden[​IMG]

9. chrisakasparky

chrisakasparky Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Looks like it vapes better than the 32g! When you make your stagger, try just a little more tension and/or a little less forward angle with your wire hand when you make the stagger.
    Try “forced” staggering , i could never get good staggers with loops and buttons like some of these other folks, maybe it’ll work for you too!
    Also you could try more wraps with the staging wire if it glows faster than the sfc or seems to vape weird.
    All of my advice is offered with utmost humility. I’ve been building coils for almost a year, and I know I’m not nearly as experienced as others, but I’ll throw my ideas out there to see how they float!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  10. bx10r

Blog Posts:
    Dont mind the screws...thats another story..lol
    Quad core fused clap
    4x28ni80/38ss316
    Now to the screws...any of you gurus now screw diam, length and pitch on a goon clone? This rda looks like crap...[​IMG]

11. Jenn F

Jenn F Bronze Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Two builds from last night. One dual 24g K1 7 3mm 7 wrap @ .31 ohm (good ole round wire build). The other with the gunk (sweet juice) is a simple dual clapton SS 3mm 6 wrap @ .46 ohm.
    Nothing fancy but working decent. :)
    This made me think of needing to take pics as I build now. Ha! :) 20181213_075044.jpg

12. zephyr

zephyr Dirty Pirate Meg VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:

Rad! :cheers:

13. Jenn F

Blog Posts:
    Thank you. After seeing everyone build their own wire, well I don't. I buy it in the spool and go from there. :)
    I just use my tool kit and do what works for me. Just got back to building a few weeks back. I used to have everything wrote down, now using the SteamEngine. Much easier! :) :cheers:

14. WPMac

WPMac Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Don't need to be fancy. If it fits, is safe, and satisfies your needs ... then it is a good build :D

15. Jenn F

Blog Posts:
    You said it right. It's safe and working with flavor. I'm going to try another few builds over the weekend. I have time and I need practice. So why not? Would love to build a few for a friend of mine. She won't build and gave up when she tried. I'm sure she would like a few. I believe she bought a standard set for about $10...That's wire spool money in my eyes...:D

16. zephyr

zephyr Dirty Pirate Meg VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I'm trying titanium for the first time today, also some 18g Kanthal(tm)...

PSX_20181213_104128.jpg

KarmicRage, mach1ne, Jenn F and 4 others like this.
  17. WPMac

Blog Posts:
    Well I had this big long post about cost of wire. But it wont let me post it for some reason. The short of it is ... I can build a set of fused claps for 7 cents (usd) and 5 minutes. With some initial time and financial investment it is well worth it to learn to make your own coils from the ground up.

18. zephyr

Blog Posts:
    First build sucked badly, so I murdered it for science - titanium turns yellow, then white, and yellow again each time you get it hot, then white when it cools!
    IMG_20181213_111419_DRO~2.jpg IMG_20181213_111411_DRO~2.jpg IMG_20181213_111358_DRO~2.jpg IMG_20181213_111548_DRO~2.jpg

KarmicRage, WPMac, mach1ne and 4 others like this.
  19. zephyr

Blog Posts:
    Here are my 'nigmas for a buildoff with The Resistance Crew

Not what I planned to do at all, but other priorities prevailed over my time...

PSX_20181213_123151.jpg

What I wanted was to do Either 1, 2, 3, and 4 hump variations (one of each), or one gigantic 4-hump razorback - definitely did not have the time for my grandiose plans haha

20. labratzpy

labratzpy Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    7 loop braided with NI80 32g, dual at 0,12 ohm.

2018-12-13 09.14.39-1.jpg

21. Jenn F

Blog Posts:
    I tried it a few years ago and not sure if it's my patience or my eyes but my attempts failed and miserably. That might be a project I may attempt again. Right now I'm just getting back into things. I have the wire to start but just haven't. Also found the box of mixed wire I had from a few years ago. This was after purchasing more, of course.
    I'd love to see that write up if you ever find it. Just message me and I'll go to it. Would really like to see it.
    My lifelong friend won't even attempt using spooled wire at all. I've tried. I learned that after paying a B&M on one coil on my Plume Veil setup a few years back. I watched and said, that's just too easy. The implication of spooled exotic was a "Have to" buy for me. Only issue is that I'm confused on which one I like over the other.
    I just can't fathom paying $10 for a basic set of two coils. Round K1 and not even a low build for her. She's still on a Cleito with one RDA. The Cleito I want to say she's paying almost $20 for 5 premades. That's just crazy. For $20 I can build many times over and toss weekly if I wanted.

The things we learn. Ha! :)

22. VAPEROXX

VAPEROXX Gold Contributor Member For 4 Years Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
  23. bx10r

Blog Posts:
    Love colors...[​IMG]

24. Shredtravolta

Blog Posts:
  25. chrisakasparky

chrisakasparky Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Stitched enigma? Badass man! I haven’t done those yet, must’ve felt good to pull that one off!

26. The_hat_trix

The_hat_trix Bronze Contributor Member For 1 Year Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
    KarmicRage, raymo2u and zephyr like this.
  27. Shredtravolta

Blog Posts:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  28. zephyr

Blog Posts:
    A small 2x27g titanium fused clapton, kanthal wrap

Ready to vape it at length, after testing the waters with my toe at first :p

PSX_20181214_143015.jpg

Not sure yet how to make a vape I really like, yet... Resistance starts so low and goes so high as it heats up, so it acts completely differently on a mech (weaker and weaker)compared to regulated (weak then hotter and hotter), so...guess next build with it will be low-low (0.05, but goes up to 0.2-0.3, jeeze) but fireable on one of my unregulateds

29. Shredtravolta

Blog Posts:
    What’s the benefit to using titanium Meg? Why not just stick with Kanthal if that just gets the job done? As you know I’m a sole N80 vaper but when I’m building things that I don’t intend to vape I’ll use whatever wire I can get my hands on. Sometimes if you use a lot of ribbon for a build you can’t really color it well cause it can ohm so low. I’m thinking of investing in some kanthal for that very purpose.

The_hat_trix, WPMac and zephyr like this.
  30. zephyr

Blog Posts:

Not sure yet... I heard it has cleaner flavor than kanthal, trying to see if that's true

Kanthal has been turning my wicks red since I switched to nic salts, unless I dry fire the shit out of it first which I believe greatly reduces the coil's lifespan

So I am aiming/hoping for longer durability, and cleaner flavor. Still breaking in my cotton right now though, and I really need to put a nice big build in one of my Goons to truly compare flavor and durability to my normal kanthal builds

31. WPMac

Blog Posts:
    I'm not a TC vaper but isn't Ti usable in TC mode? I would assume so since the TCR range is so fkn huge. That should help with the outrageous spikes in heat.

32. raymo2u

Blog Posts:
    If you had a Hohm Wrecker G2 you have TC mode for anything, even mixed metals ;)
    It was a Mod before its time...I really wish the FDA regs were never announced, we would have have a version that pumped out 200w RMS at .05Ohms and 24mm width...The G2 is one of the greatest regulated mods every made IMO....Its my oldest Regulated mod and still works like new...cant say that about anything other than my Smok X-cube II, everything else has died from one thing or another.

gsmit1, WPMac, Severinomotta and 5 others like this.
  33. zephyr

Blog Posts:

The spike in heat isn't really outrageous, or even out of the ordinary - just noticeably gets warmer over long pulls (like 3+ second pulls) similar to my all-kanthal builds that have low resistance (0.08-0.13 or so) on a mechanical, but it's more noticeable with this titanium because the mass is so much less than my typical kanthal builds - that's something I have to play with, IF I find that my current build has clean flavor and some durability

Just as how I vape a low ohm build with fresh batteries on a mech - let off the fire button once or twice in a puff - manual temp control will always work for me :teehee:

gsmit1, WPMac, Severinomotta and 2 others like this.
  34. zephyr

Blog Posts:

Kinda embarassed because I built this earlier today before getting my daughter from school and then Totally forgot about it xD It's okay, just low on vapor and flavor because of so little coil to juice contact

PSX_20181214_203803.jpg

0.13 ohms

mach1ne, raymo2u, WPMac and 3 others like this.
  35. VAPEROXX

Blog Posts:
    mach1ne, raymo2u, WPMac and 5 others like this.
  36. Severinomotta

Severinomotta Bronze Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    5732476A-944B-49F1-887B-ABDD984043B4.jpeg 7E908404-1276-4979-848C-BEC94DF18EB8.jpeg 47F29B0F-630A-40E0-825D-E7ADCF73C69F.jpeg This is the First time I try to make this two builds. The sfc is sloppy , I guess my spaces were too big. I’ll need to try again :/
    But the indented looks good to me, kind of happy;)
    As I’m at the beach in vacation , I’m not in VU as often as i’d Like (hate to post and read the threads on mobile phone. But I’ll try to visit more to see you guys builds and learn something from fellows that are amazing me everyday, like @raymo2u , @WPMac @zephyr - that made wonderful builds in the last couple of days - and other friends in here).
    Best.

37. WPMac

Blog Posts:
    That's how I've always done it. Since I'm a NiCr man I don't have TC options. So I find that sweet spot where it gets almost to hot then regulate by pulsing for long draws.

38. WPMac

Blog Posts:
    idk man that SFC looks great to me! Sure the spacing isn't perfect ... but 4+ cores is hard. And you got a really respectable consistent looking coil there :D

39. Shredtravolta

Blog Posts:
    Little something for the weekend :bingo:
    C1CB0A46-DFC5-4323-8DB1-04B1BE0CCEE1.jpeg
    13B80383-3169-403D-9DE5-E01CFF6BAA45.jpeg
    C1C96A37-ECB9-4D5E-AAFE-826B979C70EB.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  40. VAPEROXX

Blog Posts:
  41. Shredtravolta

Blog Posts:
  42. zephyr

Blog Posts:

Shred, you've really stepped forward lately and done some rad new builds - :cheers:

43. Shredtravolta

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Meg! I’m tryin! Last one I posted actually vapes really good. I always get the feeling when I do a new build that I could have done it a little mo betta but I’ve been enjoying just experimenting. Plenty of times I get a failed build but half the time I get something that’s not perfect, but good enough to post and it’s a fun process. The most fun part is hearing your guys feedback and seeing your builds to. Regardless of what I should be doing I almost always wanna build lol:giggle:. Never would have happened without @CrazyChef v2.0 and @mach1ne.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  44. gopher_byrd

gopher_byrd Cranky Old Fart VU Donator Gold Contributor ECF Refugee Member For 5 Years

Blog Posts:
    @zephyr/Meg (still not used to zephyr) TI like N200 should only be vaped in TC. Both can give off some nasty shit when vaped in VW or on a mech. At least everything I have read says so...

45. Shredtravolta

Blog Posts:
    Yeah @zephyr I think I might have heard something similar. I think you should put it in TC cause if it gets too hot some of the alloys can actually vaporize and no one should be breathing that stuff in. But being that you don't really like a very warm vape like I do maybe TC would work for you. It doesn't work for me I literally like my vapes hot but for you it might keep the temperature at a preferable level and then you can sustain that level of heat without worrying about the vape getting any warmer. I know 400 degrees is a pretty typical setting. I know for sure when I vape unregulated I go way hotter. The downside for me is I change my coil about every two weeks :giggle:.

The_hat_trix, gopher_byrd and zephyr like this.
  46. Shredtravolta

Blog Posts:
    A6FD3352-E8A6-4514-89EC-482C0AC21B33.jpeg
    3E49DF28-6BBE-48FA-ABA5-9CC3BE287DA3.jpeg
    B6F25A6B-1442-4F37-A9AC-65F9BE768A37.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  47. Jenn F

Blog Posts:
    Ok. No joking here. This is a cool atty. Cheap very cheap and my cheapest, until the next 5 arrive. $0.99 each. Solid glass and made for flavor chasing with the glass see thru tip.

Simple dual 24g K1 @ .26 ohm... Yes, I repinched those coils after this pic. They're right now. Lol :)

Couldn't hold anything else (as in running duals) and didn't want to deal with parallel nor twist at 3 in the morning...What do any of you use to bore out such a small post hole?

This little buddy has great flavor for a dollar! I haven't touched my other attys in two days now. Good sized well on top of that. :) 20181216_005854.jpg 20181216_004701.jpg

48. zephyr

Blog Posts:

Everything I read from forums and from wire sellers said the same, but they are wrong, in two ways:

Firstly, titanium dioxide does not form unless the coil is glowed very hot. Titanium takes only a bit less heat to be ruined by dry firing than 316L SS does. Temperatures during vaping are much, much lower than that of course

Secondly, titanium dioxide has Never been found to increase the risk of cancer in humans. This was the most interesting part of my research. From two studies done on rats (with methods that are now considered inhumane), the rats experienced lung overload from Ti dioxide - they basically breathed nothing but the powder, in other words. They got cancer, yeah - at levels no human has ever experienced and certainly would not from even taking a big super nasty dry hit of unwicked Titanium wire. Titanium dioxide was labeled as a Group 2b carcinogen, which means "possibly carcinogenic to humans." Which is less worrisome than "probably carcinogenic" 2A which is still below Group 1 "known carcinogen"
    Radiofrequency waves are also a Group 2b carcinogen - I'd get cancer from holding a cellphone up to my head or from all the radio I listen to first, yeah?

Tl:dr - danger of vaping Ti wire without temperature control mode is comparable to using a cell phone, and I am a nerd who reads research papers for fun

49. raymo2u

Blog Posts:
    Large Pitchfork
    6 x .3R/50g, 8ply .3R, .3 Square Wire + 28g Frames 44g Stagger and Fuse

[​IMG] [​IMG]

50. gsmit1

gsmit1 Platinum Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    I was thinking about this very thing recently. Titanium dioxide is not formed until at least twice the common temperatures for vaping. So if it was built to appropriate resistance and produced normal vaping temperatures, why would it be unsafe to use in a mech?

Right now I'm in my car vaping 26 gauge titanium t1 at 480 degrees. Even if off by a little bit, it would take at least twice that temperature to be dangerous.
    titemp~01~01.jpg