Become a Patron!

Post your builds

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So here's a pretty big improvement from the last alien stagg attempt. I think next attempt it will be all said and done. It's not quite as hard as it first seems once you figure some initial principals behind the build out. One thing I gotta remember to do before I coil the build next time is flatten the whole wire with nylon pliers before coiling it.IMG_1155.jpg

chrisakasparky

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Made another alien stagg tonight. I feel waaay better about this one :)
3x28g, 2x30g, 36g N80
4mm id, .27 ohms
194bd957ed1b0d75141dfc5635c59f1a.jpg
f5e56e0895a463d0619614dfea9fb52f.jpg
ca5b94733da4832fa989d7f371ff4259.jpg

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

chrisakasparky

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
how does it vape? i havnt really tested my deathtrap too much yet. i have mostly used it with a big old alien zipper coil in it on a hogv3. its a pretty good vape, but i feel like i should try different shapes/sizes of coils in there and see if i can get it to be better.

I’m still trying to figure it out hehe. I was actually gonna try an alien zipper in it, how was it for you? It’s got a lot of airspace, I’m still trying to find a really good build for it. I’m getting a 3cell dna today so that let me get series voltage levels.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I’m still trying to figure it out hehe. I was actually gonna try an alien zipper in it, how was it for you? It’s got a lot of airspace, I’m still trying to find a really good build for it. I’m getting a 3cell dna today so that let me get series voltage levels.
i had a smaller coil in there at first, and it was kinda muted/watery/dull tasting. things improved when i put the zipper in, but i still kinda feel like it could be better. my theory is that my inner diameter is still too small. my next build in that will likely be less wide and more thick.

edit @chrisakasparky i forgot to link to the post with the build stats/pics

Last edited:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@mach1ne there are a handful of other vertical coil RDAs out there, this is just the first Ive gotten in. Many Genesis Style RDA's use a similar setup:
Oumier VLS RDA
Lucid RDA
Alcatraz RDA
Glory RDA
502 RDA
Veritas RDA
454/454 V2 RDA
Origin Genesis V3 RDA

I have not vaped it yet...I still have 4 other RDA's Ive got to test along with it...hopefully tonight or tomorrow Ill have it tested.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@mach1ne there are a handful of other vertical coil RDAs out there, this is just the first Ive gotten in. Many Genesis Style RDA's use a similar setup:
Oumier VLS RDA
Lucid RDA
Alcatraz RDA
Glory RDA
502 RDA
Veritas RDA
454/454 V2 RDA
Origin Genesis V3 RDA

I have not vaped it yet...I still have 4 other RDA's Ive got to test along with it...hopefully tonight or tomorrow Ill have it tested.
weird decks always get my attention for some reason. the unholy is kinda similar too, for dual vertical coils (though it doesnt really change the vape, and just makes wicking harder when you mount them like that).

on an unrelated note, i got some vape mail today. super impressed with the tauren mech mod. 3fv had them on sale for ~$40. they have the new switch that doesnt rattle. the switch and the shape of the mod feel great and im super impressed. also got a fuumy maple leaf rda and the paint is literally peeling off in the box. already has three 'scars' and i havnt even taken the cap off yet :grumpy: also got a gas mods gr1 (because of @william.osendott). looks nice, but all my spare single coils are too fat for the posts in it so ill actually have to build something for it :eek:

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
weird decks always get my attention for some reason. the unholy is kinda similar too, for dual vertical coils (though it doesnt really change the vape, and just makes wicking harder when you mount them like that).

on an unrelated note, i got some vape mail today. super impressed with the tauren mech mod. 3fv had them on sale for ~$40. they have the new switch that doesnt rattle. the switch and the shape of the mod feel great and im super impressed. also got a fuumy maple leaf rda and the paint is literally peeling off in the box. already has three 'scars' and i havnt even taken the cap off yet :grumpy: also got a gas mods gr1 (because of @william.osendott). looks nice, but all my spare single coils are too fat for the posts in it so ill actually have to build something for it :eek:
The new switch on Tauren using grease to stop rattle. If you ever need to clean switch its dielectric grease and you can get some at auto parts stores

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I tried one of these things, I'll try it again and not do everything bad I did with this one, next time :teehee:

IMG_20180724_102755~2.jpg

Closeup of the clean 1cm I got out of it lol:

IMG_20180724_102238~2.jpg

Forgot to use a clothespin or slider to keep the ribbon flat, so it rolled, pliers marred the 40g, didn't skip fuse evenly on the second pass, etc etc these builds take too long

Full disclosure photo:
IMG_20180724_103541~2.jpg

Last edited:

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Next one is the one, you got it!
Thanks Chris.:D One of your alien staggs that you posted was like unbelievable it came out so well I gotta give you serious props. It also taught me that my spacing just has to be way way smaller I can't be afraid of making the spacing as small as possible when working with 38g. Your's just came out beautiful I was almost in disbelief when I saw how good it was! Then I was like Chris is a damn good builder it makes sense haha.:popcorn:

chrisakasparky

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks Chris.:D One of your alien staggs that you posted was like unbelievable it came out so well I gotta give you serious props. It also taught me that my spacing just has to be way way smaller I can't be afraid of making the spacing as small as possible when working with 38g. Your's just came out beautiful I was almost in disbelief when I saw how good it was! Then I was like Chris is a damn good builder it makes sense haha.:popcorn:

Thanks man you’re to kind! And call me Sparky!
On that one I just locked in an angle with the decore and didn’t even look at the stick. Then on the second decore, I found an angle where it kind “clicked” into place and just went with the angle. I feel like looking at the stick makes my fuse hand wander off. Also, I feel like having smaller frames on the outside helps the fuse find it’s place.

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Finally got around to picking up a new workstation/storage space for my coil building tools and such...now as soon as I install a few floating shelves to help keep my diy flavors up and out of the way and in order there will be no stopping me! *Insert Evil Laughter*
6c29403278038a82f8569a64cabe97af.jpg
db65e5be1f3b9bf6d326912a867d0e50.jpg
0472a0e55843e3e9c558574b32b98215.jpg
ec0167eac3f2ee6785910e4d3fe303de.jpg
061417f86127edbf7a45f85a1ffb3d50.jpg
857d77963a644917888a5f8af8588311.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScReWbALL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lol awesome!

Only catch I’ve found is that this setup is a good 4-5 inches taller than any sort of workstation I’ve used before, so I can’t really get the same vantage point on my decore wire staying flat because now the wire is directly at the same height as my eyes rather than being able to look down upon the wire, so, I’m having to use the only other way to continue spinning aliens freehand by making adjustments based on feel and sound (crunching or cracking) of something being up with the wire and adjusting my angle on the fly is typically the things that occur past the point of no return...popping or a different tensile strength in the wire means something is already going wrong and I just have to hope I can adjust fast enough to where it’s back in place before the drill has made a complete circle and made the mistake permanent.
I can, however, save a few inches of my 36ga decore with every coil now, with the help of a couple of magnets and a repurposed wire hanger...these magnets are strong enough to keep the spool in place under my drill regardless of any tugging, which means I just put the drill at the edge of the workstation and I can feed my 36ga directly off the spool rather than half-ass measuring how much decore I think I’ll need. 36ga isn’t the most photogenic size wire, but if you can tell, I have my 26ga single core wire coming straight out of the drill and the 36ga is being fed directly from the spool attached to the side by magnets below and onto the 26ga directionally to make the Clapton’s to decore...when I’m done, I just clip the 36ga and feed it back onto the roll...
4202710e0dc75d94dee0a9a1e544b07e.png

Edit: it is more than likely easier to use this setup with a type of swivel system, but you know the saying about old dogs and new tricks...I just can’t get myself motivated to use those types of setups because I’m constantly adjusting the angle at the point, which leads to gaps or to the wire reversing and doubling back on the wire that is finished. I’m just happy to be off a tv tray and only a decent workstation, and it was free...can’t beat that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It also taught me that my spacing just has to be way way smaller I can't be afraid of making the spacing as small as possible when working with 38g
great progress man. you are right on this point. the spacing on the first pass is so small you shouldnt even be able to see it. just start making normal aliens with tightly spaced wraps for like a half inch, then go a little further ahead with your spool, but not enough that you can actually see the spacing. just trust that there is a bit of room in between them and go for it.

i gotta agree with everyone else @Pegleg Meg you are a true inspiration. i knew you were gonna be doing great things when you first showed up in here, but you took it to a whole new level. its an honor to fight at your side :hug:

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
great progress man. you are right on this point. the spacing on the first pass is so small you shouldnt even be able to see it. just start making normal aliens with tightly spaced wraps for like a half inch, then go a little further ahead with your spool, but not enough that you can actually see the spacing. just trust that there is a bit of room in between them and go for it.

i gotta agree with everyone else @Pegleg Meg you are a true inspiration. i knew you were gonna be doing great things when you first showed up in here, but you took it to a whole new level. its an honor to fight at your side :hug:

It's just what happens when someone with multiple addictions quits everything else and picks up coil building, and has a super group of people to share with :)

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
7 pairs of 3x26/36 n80 aliens
IMG_20180726_132525-2016x1134.jpg

Tiny pair of ssfc,
0.1 ohms, 3x.3 ribbon, 26g SS frames, 46g kanthal por moi - my favorite vape right now (dripping in a Goon 1.5 on a parallel box)

IMG_20180726_145734~3.jpg

Some other ssfc, I just like this picture
IMG_20180726_143629~3.jpg

Last edited:

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

chrisakasparky

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yay i didn’t collapse it! I think I accidentally staggered with the wrong gauge but hey I’ll take it! Practicing staggering and fusing, working up to pitchforks.
Edit: definitely collapsed when I coiled it. Oopsie. I need to take more time when I coil up my sticks, I mess up my ribbon fairly often and I’m all out :(
a6704b67a7d47801d3f303ba070e38ad.jpg
53c099ab4ca09a3d422ed29ea2598240.jpg

Last edited:

VU Sponsors