Post your builds

Discussion in 'Coil Building' started by Vape_geek, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Pegleg Meg

Pegleg Meg Yarrr, me booty VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year VU Challenge Team Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I am addicted to building ugly coils

IMG_20180415_192900~2.jpg

Look at that mangled titanium screw, I've been mean to this RDA because it's been mean to me

2. CrazyChef v2.0

CrazyChef v2.0 Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year VU Challenge Team ECF Refugee Reddit Exile Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Why aren't you putting one lead up and one lead down?

3. SteveS45

SteveS45 Diamond Contributor Member For 2 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Yeah seeing this would definitely make me want to listen to what you recommend................ NOT

Shredtravolta likes this.
  4. SteveS45

Blog Posts:
    First build ever when I was told by that dick Jay building Clapton's for my 1st ever was going backwards, Honestly it would be jumping to more advanced, not going backwards but some people think they know fucking everything. I had tools in my hands before they were a glimmer in their sperm donors eyes.

upload_2018-4-15_20-39-34.jpeg

Shredtravolta and AnthonyLouis like this.
  5. SteveS45

Blog Posts:
    Just to mention that is Kanthal wire glowing red like that. NEVER do that to SS316L

Zyed and KarmicRage like this.
  6. Wtmke1

Wtmke1 Platinum Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Framed staple for tonight. Staggered stuff was killing me so I did this for redemption. What a day[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

7. Pegleg Meg

Pegleg Meg Yarrr, me booty VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 1 Year VU Challenge Team Unlisted Vendor

Blog Posts:
    If I don't put all the legs in the bottom two holes, it shorts. No matter what, one leg shorts. If it doesn't short, sometimes one coil gets all the power. I have to have all 4 legs staggered to touch the bottom of the bottom posts

I've been changing up my drill setup trying to see what is most stable, drill on a pad is the best so far. Vice is out, clamping a drill to a wobbly table is the worst idea ever and I wish I had never thought to try it
    IMG_20180415_201339_2~2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  8. AnthonyLouis

AnthonyLouis Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KarmicRage and Pegleg Meg like this.
  9. william.osendott

william.osendott Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    back to basics.. can't decide between 2.5 or 3.0mm ID though lol

3*26g x 34g all N80 (34g being the smallest wrap I can find at the moment.. can't wait to be home)[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

10. Ishkabibble

Ishkabibble Gotta eat the lettuce VU Donator Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Looks great on that SMM!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

11. william.osendott

Blog Posts:
    nice job.. what tester is that??

KarmicRage and Shredtravolta like this.
  12. chrisakasparky

chrisakasparky Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    So this is my 4-5th fralien. Definitely love this coil build. Wondering what to try next, I think I need to tackle staggered builds. Also accidentally wrapped like 1 cm of enigma and I wanna try to do it again on purpose. Lol

2x26g, 6x.3mm, 36g (24g decore),all n80,[​IMG] .2 ohms

13. Wtmke1

Blog Posts:
    Some no name tester. It's pretty spot on but I use the voopoo drag to double check the ohm reader.

KarmicRage and Pegleg Meg like this.
  14. ScReWbALL

ScReWbALL Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Just curious about throwing a little color...I’m an N80 whore and rarely use anything else, but I’m pretty sure I’ve heard that SS is definitely better for making awesome color shots, but my pure SS316L Aliens always turn reddish brown after a couple of days of use and I kind of abandoned it, but, was thinking just for fun, I can make some hybrid aliens mixing and matching core wires and decore wrap between N80 and SS316L (such as triple 26ga SS cores with 36ga N80 decore or 26ga N80 Cores with 36ga SS decore, or maybe even mixing and matching cores using the two outer cores with one alloy and the middle core another)...was just curious what kind of differences to expect in throwing color using SS or a hybrid of SS/N80 versus only N80 builds.
    Pretty sure these are shots I’ve posted before, but this is the kind of coloration I’m getting with my Triple Core 26/36 N80 Aliens...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

How dare you incinerate that I don’t know how to use big words!

gopher_byrd, mach1ne, raymo2u and 7 others like this.
  15. KingPin!

KingPin! In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^ Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 1 Year VU Challenge Team Reviewer

Blog Posts:
    N80 takes a fair bit to colour compared with SS (SS which i found has a very small window of colouration at the beginning)

Youll probably find SS is at the lighter end of blue before getting any sort of purple on N80 in fact itll probably still be brown at this stage ...the window to get both colour is really short

16. KingPin!

KingPin! In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^ Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 1 Year VU Challenge Team Reviewer

Blog Posts:
    Beautiful!

17. AnthonyLouis

Blog Posts:
    Really proud of how far your coming along.... good job brother!

18. AnthonyLouis

Blog Posts:
    Like @KingPin! Said, SS colors really fast. I lightly pulse at 20w while strumming to get hot spots out, once it starts to slightly start turning a bit gold I’ll raise it to 30 and keep pulsing and strumming... before you know it, it’s all colored up. I’m still fairly new to coloring SS316L, but this has been working for me lately!

This is a 50/50 N80/SS316L Fralien.
    3(.3x.1) N80/3(.3x.1) SS316L
    1(28) N80/ 1(28) SS316L
    36 SS316L Alien Wrap

[​IMG][​IMG]

gopher_byrd, mach1ne, raymo2u and 4 others like this.
  19. Wtmke1

Blog Posts:
    Hey I appreciate it man. Some days are better than others with building.

20. Shredtravolta

Shredtravolta VU Donator Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    Love the changes in color! Great looking coil! Sorry I've been out of the picture for a bit I didn't have much time to build this weekend I had family obligations. I almost did a really tight framed staple with 40g but one wrap came out funky. :cuss2: If I do a simple build like that I want it to be perfect. Hopefully I'll nail it tonight. But back to the point. This is a beautiful alien. Your waves are great your color is great and I bet it vapes great too! :cheers:Awesome!

mach1ne, raymo2u, KarmicRage and 2 others like this.
  21. Shredtravolta

Blog Posts:
    Great work as always brother! Your fraliens are the cleanest of the clean!:confetti:

22. Shredtravolta

Blog Posts:
    Very impressive. Took me a lot longer to learn how to do them. Great job!

23. Shredtravolta

Blog Posts:
    That one photo with the color is really nice. Great job! I got a similar color to a fralien once. Don't know how it happened, haven't been able to get the same color since.

24. Shredtravolta

Blog Posts:
    You're gonna nail this build soon Meg. Your so close. Please don't give up you're doing awesome. SUPERHERO!:hearts:

25. Pegleg Meg

Blog Posts:
    I bet I'm gonna get some nice clean builds soon, now that I took the drill out of a vice which was clamped to a folding table, drill was shaking the whole thing like a monster at anything over 100 rpm!!! Thanks man, you rock!

Btw, one does not simply make a tight clean 40g build lol, but YOU CAN DO EET!

26. Shredtravolta

Blog Posts:
    Hahaha you gotta have a steady drill that you can pull back tension on. One of the reason's I got a new drill is so I could get a chuck that really secured whatever I put in there so I could pull back tension. I swear I had that coil tight and clean for 4 wraps... and then.. the ugly wrap:gaah:it ruined my evening:cuss2:Thank you for the encouragement.:D

27. Ishkabibble

Ishkabibble Gotta eat the lettuce VU Donator Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    GORGEOUS!!

28. Pegleg Meg

Blog Posts:
    Boy oh boy!
    IMG_20180416_105734~2.jpg
    5x30/40, happy to get something clean

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  29. KingPin!

Blog Posts:
  30. AnthonyLouis

Blog Posts:
    Thanks brother!!

31. AnthonyLouis

Blog Posts:
    Sexy! What gauge?

32. KarmicRage

KarmicRage Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    I appreciate that Shred mate, I know it's not an overly complicated build but it's nice to have good feedback :) next is a 5 core... Just because lol. I've been missing having the time to sit at the bench for a few hours to try some new stuff. I'll have to upload those MTL coils I've done as well just so I'm contributing a bit more haha. Not complex or anything, just looking for good ramp up time and better clouds. I'll try upload them after band practice

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

33. Pegleg Meg

Blog Posts:
    Fixed my setup!

IMG_20180416_121631_2~2.jpg
    IMG_20180416_130536~2-998x1103.jpg

Two Cookie Monsters sharing spaghetti
    IMG_20180416_131137~2.jpg

Smug robot says, good prep, buddy!
    IMG_20180416_100322~2.jpg
    Edit: lol this picture isnt even for this build, my bad

28, .3/40

5x30/40 :xD:

34. ScReWbALL

ScReWbALL Silver Contributor Member For 1 Year

Blog Posts:
    I was under the impression it was bad (and therefore I never tried) to strum coils I’m throwing color on.
    I had always heard that it can knock off your color if you strum them (externally at least...my builds are usually wrapped around a 3mm precision screwdriver, so if I’m strumming for ones I’m coloring I use a flat head 2.4mm precision and strum inside the coil rather than scraping it across the exposed surface area).
    Have I been wrong all this time and strumming Coils you’re trying to color has no impact (negative at least) on the final product?
    I know they can be a bit finicky if I don’t wash the oil residue from the skin on my fingers off of a coil I’m trying to color before pulsing it, so, small factors can definitely cause issues from my experience.

How dare you incinerate that I don’t know how to use big words!

Pegleg Meg and KarmicRage like this.
  35. chrisakasparky

chrisakasparky Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    Does SS color better than n80?

Pegleg Meg and KarmicRage like this.
  36. KarmicRage

Blog Posts:
    I don't think it's so much that ss colours better than ni80, it's more that the ni80 needs that bit more heat to get the same colours. Also strumming a coil BEFORE you start to pulse and colour will not mess up the colouring at the end, but, if you strum a coil that's already got colour on it you will almost certainly scrape some of the colour off the coil. I tend to try and pry the wraps apart from the inside slightly so as not to ruin the colours but if a coil has some bastard hotspots then I will strum from the outside as glowing evenly is more important to me than colouring.

37. Shredtravolta

Blog Posts:
    It's got a slightly lower resistance so it will color slightly quicker. I've heard you can miss the color on SS builds real easy if you pulse to hard. When done right I've seen it give off some wild colors. Oranges, Reds, Purples, Blues, Yellows, Gold, etc. I've definitely seen some crazy SS coloring. With N80 you get more of a Blue to Purple to Gold range starting from the center out. I happen to like the vape of N80 better than any other group of alloys but if I was going for strictly color and nothing else, I would probably choose stainless steel. This is all coming from a guy that is decent at building his own coils to satisfaction but is not a master at coloring by any means so I suppose take what I say with a grain of salt.

38. Wtmke1

Blog Posts:
    Those raymos clamps? Gonna have to order some this weekend.

39. KarmicRage

Blog Posts:
    Yes they are and you will not be disappointed. I have a set and they truly are second to none

40. Pegleg Meg

Blog Posts:
    No they're building robots...

I mean yes, they are, I like them more now that I finally took my allen drivers that fit the two different screws down to the work table, I was using pliers to tighten the chuck end's screws...that's no fun

41. william.osendott

Blog Posts:
    meg, are you manually spacing on your first pass or using the loop/other method (or God forbid groove fusing between the alien wraps with alien wraps lol) I'm gonna give this build a go I think, looking for tips/tricks

42. Pegleg Meg

Blog Posts:
    Just manually, spacing by eyeballs is the only way I know of! If you can make a tight alien, then you should, Theoretically, be able to make a consistently spaced alien...theoretically o_O

I wouldn't call it groove fusing, is that when you use a higher gauge to fuse in between tightly spaced, lower gauge wraps? You just put the second alien pass in between the first, it falls into place Somewhat though, if your first pass is consistent and you stretch your second pass wayyyy to the max so you dont have to put any tension on it

43. KarmicRage

Blog Posts:
    Meg's right. From what I've watched about making alien staggs by Raymo2u and nick devine trying to use anything to space the alien wraps just messes the final product up. You just have to practice keeping up with the drill with your wrapping hand, which is harder than it sounds haha

Edit. Also it's called staggered fusing. Groove fusing is usually done with contact wraps in 2 different gauges with the thinner gauge lying in-between/on top of the thicker gauge.

44. william.osendott

Blog Posts:
    thanks karm, I know the definition of groove fusing, I was just making sure that isn't what she was doing and was in fact staggering just by eyeballing it :) I haven't watched any videos on this one, I like to try and work things out myself if I can.

meg, I'm gonna guess nothing is going to fall in place for a while on my end, luckily I have plenty of wire to burn.

thanks for the tips both of you, another example of why I love this forum.

45. KarmicRage

Blog Posts:
    No worries dude. It's not an overly hard build to get a vapable coil but to perfect it you pretty much do just have to burn through wire haha

Shredtravolta, Pegleg Meg and Wtmke1 like this.
  46. Pegleg Meg

Blog Posts:
    Now I know, lol :teehee: all the terms in coil building, I get why there's jokes about gargoyle hoof tarantula coils and stuff lol

47. KarmicRage

Blog Posts:
    I watched that video with ohmboy oc and grim green lol yeah it does start to sound a lot like computer jargon to those not in the know haha

Pegleg Meg and Shredtravolta like this.
  48. Shredtravolta

Blog Posts:
    Here's a regular very simple framed staple coil binded with 40g. Should be a great vape. IMG_0881.jpg

49. Pegleg Meg

Blog Posts:

40 g framed staple, regular? Simple?? Lol great vape yes, so clean wraps very wow

mach1ne, KarmicRage and Shredtravolta like this.
  50. Pegleg Meg

Blog Posts:
    Sorry for late reply...you are a Builder, imo

KarmicRage and jwill like this.