Become a Patron!

Post pictures of your setups!

Mjjmfa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It does have really nice clouds, and you know what I'm sure after all the explosions that did happen, definitely got back to the company and I'm sure they prioritized that issue the next time around. So I'm just overreacting

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If we didn't do anything stupid, we would never learn. I posted earlier on the unregulated section to get some ideas because I wanted to try a mech mod, that's when I did research and found mech mods explode and can be very dangerous which lead me to reading about the eleaf, so I think I'm going to stay clear of mechs and eleafs for now, just until I know more about ohms law, battery safety, etc. etc.

Not true. What can explode are BATTERIES, particularly if
a) you aren't using a battery with a high enough amperage for the resistance you're using;
b) you're using some crapfest battery with "fire" in the name (or an efest, which amounts to much the same thing); or
c) you have overdischarged your battery at any time and then tried using it again.

A mech mod, in and of itself, is much like an unloaded gun. Put bullets in that gun, give it to someone who knows how to handle guns, and it's still not terribly dangerous; give it to a child or an idiot, and it becomes very dangerous. Someone who is using a mech with proper, high-quality, high-amperage batteries, and using a coil which those batteries can handle, is in no more danger than someone using a regulated mod. Perhaps less, in fact, with the safe battery and reasonable resistance.

Using a mech safely requires educating yourself as to what that safety entails. Someone who just wants to vape and not learn anything, should definitely not use a mech.

Andria

RatRacer

a touch oɟɟ
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You're right on that. I wouldn't stop driving. But the difference there is that it would be my fault getting into an accident. If a company is making exploding mods, that's not your fault. I mean unless you're going over the limits of what your mod is capable of. But I guess that's what you meant by regardless of fault. You're right, but I don't want to learn the hard way by having my face burned to a crisp. Lol. But thank you for your honest opinion. I appreciate it

That's the thing about an addiction, if one way fails, you try different ways to get the fix, even with bad press out there. Constant use comfort and self education abate the paranoia over time.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you jerus, have you done that before with any of your mods? I'm not really the handy type of girl, lol. Would I just rest it on there and screw it in? I just got a new coil for my tank the day before yesterday. I haven't had any problems with it saying atomizer low yet. I'm hoping that this new coil won't give me a problem, even though it's an easy fix.

Just throw it on the tank so the 510 is through the center, hell bring your mod into the store and find the one that fits it best, might even be able to get one of the people there to help. Just say you're looking for a ~21-22mm outer diameter and 7mm or larger inner diameter, even if it's larger inner diameter you can center it as you screw it down so you won't have overhang. The problem is the pin getting pushed too far down, and that causing issues, so a temporary fix till you get a spacer is just don't screw it down all the way, let it be a little loose, that can be annoying but it's just until you can swing by a hardware store and shop for right rubber washer should only take a few minutes.

Mjjmfa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Would the spacer allow my tank to sit flush? I guess the shorting from the tank already happened because it said atomizer low? Or am I wrong?

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not true. What can explode are BATTERIES, particularly if
a) you aren't using a battery with a high enough amperage for the resistance you're using;
b) you're using some crapfest battery with "fire" in the name (or an efest, which amounts to much the same thing); or
c) you have overdischarged your battery at any time and then tried using it again.

A mech mod, in and of itself, is much like an unloaded gun. Put bullets in that gun, give it to someone who knows how to handle guns, and it's still not terribly dangerous; give it to a child or an idiot, and it becomes very dangerous. Someone who is using a mech with proper, high-quality, high-amperage batteries, and using a coil which those batteries can handle, is in no more danger than someone using a regulated mod. Perhaps less, in fact, with the safe battery and reasonable resistance.

Using a mech safely requires educating yourself as to what that safety entails. Someone who just wants to vape and not learn anything, should definitely not use a mech.

Andria
Yup yup yup, this is the exact reason why my mom made sure to have my Grandpa/uncles teach me how to use a gun when I was like 4/5 years old. I hate guns (I mean they take all the fun out of it :p) but you bet I'll be taking any kid I ever have to a shooting range or something when they're young just so they understand what it is and how they work.

Likewise I've made it a point to give a quick rundown to friends about mechs while I give their girlfriends the whole talk about safety and that their boyfriends are not going to blow themselves up unless they do something stupid which as long as they stick with what they're using (most of them are on kanger or aspire kits) won't ever be a concern.

Mjjmfa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I kind of just want to get a new tank and eliminate the problem. Would the shorting be permanent if I switch tanks?

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Would the spacer allow my tank to sit flush? I guess the shorting from the tank already happened because it said atomizer low? Or am I wrong?

Yes/no, it won't be flush to the tank, but flush to the spacer, if you can get a 22mm outer diameter rubber washer you won't be able to tell the difference. If you can't find that you could always trim a larger one down to fit perfectly.

But, yeah what it sounds like the issue is, is that the pin is being pushed in too far and causing an internal short in the mod, I'm not sure on that just an educated guess. So for now just leaving it a turn or two from tight should alleviate the problem, and when you get the washer it'll be barely noticeable if you center it and it's 22mm (whether that way as stock or if you trim it).

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I kind of just want to get a new tank and eliminate the problem. Would the shorting be permanent if I switch tanks?

Shouldn't be, it could potentially have damaged the mod, but like I said before try the pin, if it still has give it should be fine. You can always try another tank you have on it. I'm one of those guys that likes tinkering and troubleshooting so personally I'd say if the TFV4 is your favorite tank in your collection a 50cent washer is far more practical than buying a new tank that won't service you as well as what you have (which from all I've heard and tried, really the TFV4 is the best factory coil option out there, I haven't tried the Herekles Plus but I've heard it's good, though I've also heard some leaking issues, but the same for TFV4 just haven't experienced them myself).

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yup yup yup, this is the exact reason why my mom made sure to have my Grandpa/uncles teach me how to use a gun when I was like 4/5 years old. I hate guns (I mean they take all the fun out of it :p) but you bet I'll be taking any kid I ever have to a shooting range or something when they're young just so they understand what it is and how they work.

Likewise I've made it a point to give a quick rundown to friends about mechs while I give their girlfriends the whole talk about safety and that their boyfriends are not going to blow themselves up unless they do something stupid which as long as they stick with what they're using (most of them are on kanger or aspire kits) won't ever be a concern.

It's like anything else, really; I've got quite a few knives in my kitchen that I keep RAZOR sharp. Dangerous? Of course they are, if mishandled! But when used properly by someone who knows how to use them, they're merely efficient tools. And there's chlorine bleach in my laundry room, too -- obviously that could be dangerous to colored clothes, or to anyone who drank it -- but when used properly...?

Big Nanny has much to answer for, making Americans so fucking frightened of every little thing, ohhh it's DANGEROUS, so get rid of it quick! Morons. The human brain is a marvelous thing, allowing us to learn how to deal with "dangerous" things quite safely.

Andria

Mjjmfa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I love the tfv4, but the only thing stopping me from loving my herakles more is the leaking issues I've had with it. It was such a pain in the ass and I felt like I wasted so much juice

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can't wait to see mythical!
Pi and ohm are like the only symbols I actually know, so I'm right there with you! The symbol for ohms reminds me of a magnet for some reason

Alright, I had to take a picture of some stuff Im trying to trade, so just wrangled my mods together for a pic. Not included are all the RDAs I have that I use intermittently on these.

2afkf40.jpg

From left to right: Blacked out RX200 with TFV4 and black glass, SMY 60 with auth. Nobunaga mini, Smok Treebox 75 with Herakles Plus, and Kanger Kbox Mini 50w with Subtank Mini.

Coming tomorrow....A Vaporesso Target 75 ceramic coil kit and a Kanger Subvod kit.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's like anything else, really; I've got quite a few knives in my kitchen that I keep RAZOR sharp. Dangerous? Of course they are, if mishandled! But when used properly by someone who knows how to use them, they're merely efficient tools. And there's chlorine bleach in my laundry room, too -- obviously that could be dangerous to colored clothes, or to anyone who drank it -- but when used properly...?

Big Nanny has much to answer for, making Americans so fucking frightened of every little thing, ohhh it's DANGEROUS, so get rid of it quick! Morons. The human brain is a marvelous thing, allowing us to learn how to deal with "dangerous" things quite safely.

Andria
So that's why all my colors have weird spots of white on them... :D I kid. Absolutely correct. My mother was giving me a hard time about vaping the other day because of a news story about exploding batteries in a guy's pocket (he had change and a loose battery, dumbass). Told her I could make her phone explode if I wanted to, but I'm not a dumbass. Thankfully she agrees with me :cool:

Mjjmfa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Much easier to understand when you put it that way :)

Mjjmfa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Is that the rx200 with the tfv4 mythical? Do you have any issues with it saying atomizer low?

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I love the tfv4, but the only thing stopping me from loving my herakles more is the leaking issues I've had with it. It was such a pain in the ass and I felt like I wasted so much juice

Just take a 10 minute trip to the hardware store, grab the oldest crankiest looking employee and ask him for a 22mm outer diameter 7mm inner diameter rubber washer. Give him some puppy dog eyes to melt his old stone heart and he'll probably even modify one for you if they don't have anything stock that's close to that. To someone that knows what they're doing either finding or making that thing is a matter of a minute or two. And generally those old codgers love to be helpful and use their skills.

EDIT: make sure it's a rubber washer! metal might cause issues and almost certainly wouldn't sit flush they usually are a bit warped.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Alright, I had to take a picture of some stuff Im trying to trade, so just wrangled my mods together for a pic. Not included are all the RDAs I have that I use intermittently on these.

2afkf40.jpg

From left to right: Blacked out RX200 with TFV4 and black glass, SMY 60 with auth. Nobunaga mini, Smok Treebox 75 with Herakles Plus, and Kanger Kbox Mini 50w with Subtank Mini.

Coming tomorrow....A Vaporesso Target 75 ceramic coil kit and a Kanger Subvod kit.
Very nice, Treebox I assume for that second from the right? That's the classiest regulated mod out there that I know of and I still want one, just wish it was a tad higher than 75w.

Mjjmfa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I should do that instead of putting money out on a new tank, this is a great setup

Mjjmfa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
They're all so beautiful! I love that wood

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is that the rx200 with the tfv4 mythical? Do you have any issues with it saying atomizer low?

Yes and never had an issue with my TFV4, not a single leak, dry hit, burnt out coil, or even spitback. Nothing. Its run perfectly since the day I got it and couldnt be happier with it. And I know about the long 510 connector "issue" with the RX200 as well, and havent had an issue with that either. By the time I knew about that I already had the tank and mod together. Ive got no intention of using a different tank on it, if something were to happen, I plan to just take the mod apart and just replace the 510 connection. Although I do have plans to get one of those 510 male to female heat sinks to use as a "buffer" between the mod and tank just to avoid it all together.

The Treebox, I love it. Love the way it looks. Its a beautiful mod and the Herakles looks so classy on top of it. Love it, but I do have a problem with the Herakles having a lot of gurgling and spit up. Dont know why. Im hoping its just the coil. Once this SS 0.2 burns out Im gonna try the Kanthal 0.4 and see if that fixes it. Hopefully.

Heres some better pics, since that one turned out a lot darker than I thought it did.
2jyxah.jpg

ofajh5.png

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
We need more setups on here. Which one is your favorite ray? The hohm wrecker?
Actually, lately I tend to be grabbing for the Mech Boxes...something about their smooth power output...It cant be duplicated with a Regulated Device..

Mjjmfa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I really like the treebox, it's so cute! It comes with an actual wooden box too right?

Mjjmfa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I hear a lot of people like mech mods, I like the way they look better than regulated. Like I said before I want to wait to get into them though, until I know more about battery safety and ohms law. Do you think they're easy to get into?

Mjjmfa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Paul, you have so many boxes! Lol, do you do reviews or something? Or do you collect them?

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I hear a lot of people like mech mods, I like the way they look better than regulated. Like I said before I want to wait to get into them though, until I know more about battery safety and ohms law. Do you think they're easy to get into?

I think that's a wise move. At one time if you really wanted to sub-ohm, a mech was the only way to go. I'll use a DNA200 as an example to compare a mech too since I'm very familiar with them.

A DNA200 can go down as low as you want to go (resistance). It can supply 50 amps continuous, 55 amps pulse/peak. Is DC to DC so you don't get a rattlesnake pulsing effect and it's regulated. Compared to a DNA200, I don't really see an advantage any more that a mech has for sub-ohming other than no chip to go bad. I think Paul would probably agree.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

Mjjmfa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Are you saying you would get a. pulsing effect on mech mods?

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Not difficult, once you get used to battery handling,. But what I've found is that the more I get accustomed to regulated mods, the more lacking that mechs seem -- they can be real "fiddly," and have no screen to tell you why they're not hitting right, which they often aren't, because of the "fiddliness". I guess if you got used to them back when they were the only alternative for cloud chasing, then you like them, but otherwise.... it's like using a slide rule instead of a pocket calculator, or doing your books in longhand rather than using a spreadsheet -- sure, you get to the same place, but it takes a lot more fiddling around.

People say a lot of stuff about how straight DC current is "smoother" than the PWM current that regulated mods use in order to step down.... but I can't tell a single bit of difference. A vape is a vape; how the power gets to the coil is, to me, irrelevant. Even the slight "rattlesnake" sound that sound mods issue at low power, is really not a big deal. But I guess a human mind can make it one.

Andria

Mjjmfa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That makes more sense, I know my snow wolf has that after 150

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The iPV Mini can do either straight DC, or PWM, you can select the mode; I had to select the PWM mode since I'm a low-power vaper, and there is really no difference in the vape quality at all, but with PWM, I can get the lower setting I require. A mod that can't do PWM can never give you less than 4.2v until the battery charge declines below 4.2v. (IOW, it can't "step down.")

One thing that hasn't been mentioned at all -- if you use a Kick module in a mech, you can get power regulation, but they only offer it between 5w-12w, some may go to 15w. Those lower wattages suit me just fine, but they've fallen "out of style" as reg. mods go up to such insane levels. Of course, a Kick requires a tube, at least a battery tube.

Andria

Mjjmfa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I never go above 60w, but I don't build my own rdas yet. I'm waiting to get some money together and buy a kit at the smoke shop to start building, but I don't think I'm going to go above 80 or 90w. I just have to figure out what wattage I like it at when I start building

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With a Mech you get the voltage of the battery period. There is no step up or down. The current is determined by the resistance of the coil. As the voltage drops so does your power because there is no step up.

Regulated mods can regulate the voltage so as your voltage drops your power output will stay consistent within limitations of the device. Not all regulated mods are created equal. Some pulse the power on and off to regulate (I'm not a fan of that personally), some use DV-DC regulation. some are more accurate, etc. No matter what, the resistance of the coil determines the current that the coil sees (Mech or regulated mods)

Cheers,
Steve

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
No matter what, the resistance of the coil determines the current that the coil sees (Mech or regulated mods)

Yes... When I first got my iPV Mini, instead of the 1.6-1.7 ohm coils I had been using, I started building 2 ohm coils, to get a vape more like what i was used to -- then I learned I could select PWM mode with the iPV mini, to make it able to step down -- but I found the higher resistance coils so much better for battery life, I stayed with them, and just boost the power about a watt. Having a couple extra wraps on the coil also gives me just a smidge more vapor, so that's nice too.

But with a mech, yes, adjusting the coil's resistance is how you adjust the vape.

Andria

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Compared to a DNA200, I don't really see an advantage any more that a mech has for sub-ohming other than no chip to go bad. I think Paul would probably agree

I fucking hate DNA 200s - they will not let Mac guys use their computors! Now a good YIHI chip like the 350j and I'm on board. That said a Conspiracy Agent, Hex Ohm, Beast or other mod with mosfet and potentiometer are great mech mods. Love them all. I won't post even more pics, lol. You have seen enough.

No mechs only advantage is that we can feel superior using it, lol. I mean look at my beautiful 26650 mech tube mod. It does not vape better than my 150+ regulated mods. My IPV5 hits like a truck. And more consistently as battery drop does not affect it right away. I'm still a mech fan though. Pick up your box and adjust nothing and just vape. No chip set to mess with. Just a pure experience. Vapes as good as you build - no better no worse.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes... When I first got my iPV Mini, instead of the 1.6-1.7 ohm coils I had been using, I started building 2 ohm coils, to get a vape more like what i was used to -- then I learned I could select PWM mode with the iPV mini, to make it able to step down -- but I found the higher resistance coils so much better for battery life, I stayed with them, and just boost the power about a watt. Having a couple extra wraps on the coil also gives me just a smidge more vapor, so that's nice too.

But with a mech, yes, adjusting the coil's resistance is how you adjust the vape.

Andria
Are you talking about an IPV D2? People had to select TC because it didn't have voltage step-down in power mode. It did however have it in TC. The IPV D2 uses PWM, DNA200's don't. There is a difference in the way power is regulated. One pulses full power on and off for different lengths of time in order to give you an average of what you dial up over time.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I fucking hate DNA 200s - they will not let Mac guys use their computors! Now a good YIHI chip like the 350j and I'm on board. That said a Conspiracy Agent, Hex Ohm, Beast or other mod with mosfet and potentiometer are great mech mods. Love them all. I won't post even more pics, lol. You have seen enough.

No mechs only advantage is that we can feel superior using it, lol. I mean look at my beautiful 26650 mech tube mod. It does not vape better than my 150+ regulated mods. My IPV5 hits like a truck. And more consistently as battery drop does not affect it right away. I'm still a mech fan though. Pick up your box and adjust nothing and just vape. No chip set to mess with. Just a pure experience. Vapes as good as you build - no better no worse.
You are alright Paul, glad to meet you my friend.

Cheers,
Steve

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The IPV D3 has step down as does the IPV5 - love both and use them - when I'm not vaping on my mechs which I currently am of course. However I want at least 100 watts for my attys. So Cuboid, IPV5 sometimes my Stout. Otherwise it is usually a mech.

You are alright yourself Steve. Tell it like it is.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Are you talking about an IPV D2? People had to select TC because it didn't have voltage step-down in power mode. It did however have it in TC. The IPV D2 uses PWM, DNA200's don't. There is a difference in the way power is regulated. One pulses full power on and off for different lengths of time in order to give you an average of what you dial up over time.

Not at all. An iPV Mini. 30w mod.

Andria

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The IPV D3 has step down as does the IPV5 - love both and use them - when I'm not vaping on my mechs which I currently am of course. However I want at least 100 watts for my attys. So Cuboid, IPV5 sometimes my Stout. Otherwise it is usually a mech.

You are alright yourself Steve. Tell it like it is.
Yeah, iirc the D3 fixed that problem that the D2 had.

Mjjmfa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I really like the ipv5. Do you prefer that one over the ipv3?

Mjjmfa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Keep them coming! I love you setups. I really love the snow wolf's you have

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not difficult, once you get used to battery handling,. But what I've found is that the more I get accustomed to regulated mods, the more lacking that mechs seem -- they can be real "fiddly," and have no screen to tell you why they're not hitting right, which they often aren't, because of the "fiddliness". I guess if you got used to them back when they were the only alternative for cloud chasing, then you like them, but otherwise.... it's like using a slide rule instead of a pocket calculator, or doing your books in longhand rather than using a spreadsheet -- sure, you get to the same place, but it takes a lot more fiddling around.

People say a lot of stuff about how straight DC current is "smoother" than the PWM current that regulated mods use in order to step down.... but I can't tell a single bit of difference. A vape is a vape; how the power gets to the coil is, to me, irrelevant. Even the slight "rattlesnake" sound that sound mods issue at low power, is really not a big deal. But I guess a human mind can make it one.

Andria
Ehh, I think they still have their place in that they have an advantage in aesthetic and feel. You just can't fit a chip into the same size tube (I do have a "regulated" tube though, but it's a good like 20%+ taller). You can't easily put together your own custom builds nearly as easily (is doable and a goal of mine eventually). And, just in general those two aspects they excel compared to regulated devices.

After that, yeah it's the hobbyist thing, It's fun having to build the entire setup together and tweak it to perfection rather than just push a button until you like it.

But, yes you need to know what you're doing. Honestly all factory tanks should not be used on them even if theoretically safe you never know with those factory coils and at least you should break the coils in on a regulated device so you know it's working as expected.

As for quality of vape, the only time I get issues with my regulated mods is when the safeties are kicking in, so that's probably a good thing when they do that, if I were on a mech it'd just continue through, which might usually be ok but that one time...

Mjjmfa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I like the asmodus tube mod a lot

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I like the asmodus tube mod a lot

Thats actually a Squonk RDA, its called the fountain V2 and on top of the Snow Wolf Mini I consider it one of the laziest setups you could ever own...Its a vape for when you are relaxing. Your index finger hits the firing button and your thumb rests right on the bottle to squeeze more juice in when needed...

VU Sponsors