Become a Patron!

Post a Picture Any Picture (that you took)

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
9301be21d5f1dd9aeaeab6c5d5c9537f.jpg
d5410a943c644369e4caa6cdab78f2e0.jpg
34a361917c83c678c9294a4b90de36f0.jpg
4bad3135d827d7288b9c30fa5737b756.jpg
af7a96b6e93bb4d016a40c8458154354.jpg
0267d156287e3687315ee5e7ba68a706.jpg
d43eb665c94489f7a07598bbaf809381.jpg
2a652848bf0e95d157ff0f359f259dc5.jpg
480a886bc543d1b946ddb61d02eecdfd.jpg

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
It is.

I'm not sure what the fire situation is. The news hasn't had much to say, which I can only assume is good.

I hope so. But I read about the dust storms in the Guardian. It’s one thing after another. I’m glad you’re not being affected. :hug:

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I think something like No swimming, unpredictable tides and sudden drop off...

Sounds similar to the beach near Charleston, SC -- very unpredictable currents because it's right where the coast cuts in to Charleston Harbor -- riptides, whirlpool eddies, etc. Really too bad too, because it's a gorgeous beach... but swimming, surfing, etc, strictly forbidden there. At that spot, it's wide open Atlantic Ocean, then it dips in to Charleston Harbor. You can even see some of the weird currents, on google earth; looks like 3 or 4 different directions all fighting it out.

Andria

Amber Petti

Platinum Contributor
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I love that. I’m sure someone would buy that. It’s beautiful. It’s very you, actually.
Thank you love! I sold a painting Wednesday, it was a small one though so I only made $20, bought some vape bands, a drip tip for my x and a silicone smoking pipe for my husband and brother in law so I could get mine back! (It’s for CBD so no one ban me)

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Oi, don’t you start!
:giggle:

Actually the wildlife had gone eerie quiet and into hiding since the fires and all the smoke. I have not seen any lizards, snakes, echidna's, or small marsupials in weeks. Still see roo's and wallabies but its like anything that could hide underground has. All that unprecedented smoke has really spooked them and sent them into hiding. The places I have been in the past week to have seen none of those things has never happened before.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds similar to the beach near Charleston, SC -- very unpredictable currents because it's right where the coast cuts in to Charleston Harbor -- riptides, whirlpool eddies, etc. Really too bad too, because it's a gorgeous beach... but swimming, surfing, etc, strictly forbidden there. At that spot, it's wide open Atlantic Ocean, then it dips in to Charleston Harbor. You can even see some of the weird currents, on google earth; looks like 3 or 4 different directions all fighting it out.

Andria
I grew up in Charleston. Used to surf at isle of palms and folly Beach all the time. The rips tides are definitely dangerous there.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I grew up in Charleston. Used to surf at isle of palms and folly Beach all the time. The rips tides are definitely dangerous there.

The place I was thinking of, I ascertained from looking at Google Earth myself, is right at the southern tip of Sullivan's Island, right across the harbor mouth from Ft. Sumter. We had driven over to Sullivan's Island for dinner, but drastically overestimated how long it would take to get there from Charleston proper (accustomed to Atlanta traffic! But hey, that's an awesome bridge!) So we had some time to kill before it was actually dinner time, and drove around looking at this and that. Got down there to the tip of Sullivan's Island and walked around Battery Jasper, checking it all out, then walked out thru the cut-thru to the beach.

I'd love to go back sometime, and REALLY get to know all the touristy things. We only had a couple days, drove over to see our son for his birthday when he was in the Navy and couldn't get leave.

Andria

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The place I was thinking of, I ascertained from looking at Google Earth myself, is right at the southern tip of Sullivan's Island, right across the harbor mouth from Ft. Sumter. We had driven over to Sullivan's Island for dinner, but drastically overestimated how long it would take to get there from Charleston proper (accustomed to Atlanta traffic! But hey, that's an awesome bridge!) So we had some time to kill before it was actually dinner time, and drove around looking at this and that. Got down there to the tip of Sullivan's Island and walked around Battery Jasper, checking it all out, then walked out thru the cut-thru to the beach.

I'd love to go back sometime, and REALLY get to know all the touristy things. We only had a couple days, drove over to see our son for his birthday when he was in the Navy and couldn't get leave.

Andria
Yea it's a great place. I'd like to go back and visit. I worked downtown when I was 15 and 16 until I moved to NC. But there's definitely a lot of tourists. I bet I saw a million people over those two summers

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yea it's a great place. I'd like to go back and visit. I worked downtown when I was 15 and 16 until I moved to NC. But there's definitely a lot of tourists. I bet I saw a million people over those two summers

It really IS a terrific place! I've lived in the deep south nearly all my life (except 5 yrs in MI), in metro Atlanta, born and bred Atlantan... but the people in Charleston absolutely knocked me out with their true southern hospitality -- even teenagers in fast food joints and convenience stores smile and say "Hey, how y'all doing? Can I help ya? What can get for ya?" Absolutely amazing, they could TEACH Atlantans what southern hospitality really means! I think too many yankees moved here and fucked that all up! :teehee:

I want to take one of those house tours of those gorgeous 18th century houses fronting the harbor... and a ghost too, too! Seriously cool place. :)

Andria

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
It really IS a terrific place! I've lived in the deep south nearly all my life (except 5 yrs in MI), in metro Atlanta, born and bred Atlantan... but the people in Charleston absolutely knocked me out with their true southern hospitality -- even teenagers in fast food joints and convenience stores smile and say "Hey, how y'all doing? Can I help ya? What can get for ya?" Absolutely amazing, they could TEACH Atlantans what southern hospitality really means! I think too many yankees moved here and fucked that all up! :teehee:

I want to take one of those house tours of those gorgeous 18th century houses fronting the harbor... and a ghost too, too! Seriously cool place. :)

Andria

Y'all are making me miss Savannah. Fabulous place to visit, but you don't wanna live there.

Hi Andria! Hope you're doing great!

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
:giggle:

Actually the wildlife had gone eerie quiet and into hiding since the fires and all the smoke. I have not seen any lizards, snakes, echidna's, or small marsupials in weeks. Still see roo's and wallabies but its like anything that could hide underground has. All that unprecedented smoke has really spooked them and sent them into hiding. The places I have been in the past week to have seen none of those things has never happened before.

I hope the wildlife will be able to recover there. It would be really eerie not hearing birds or seeing any small critters. I hope they are underground and just hiding.

I’m kinda amazed that you used to see kangaroos and wallabies, though. You’re really really in the bush, then? Wow.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I hope the wildlife will be able to recover there. It would be really eerie not hearing birds or seeing any small critters. I hope they are underground and just hiding.

I’m kinda amazed that you used to see kangaroos and wallabies, though. You’re really really in the bush, then? Wow.
Yeah, sometimes they come in to feed around our towns edges. Have seen their poop on our front lawn a few times. Often see them on the towns outskirts. I don't like driving between sunset and until an hour after sunup. Just too many and they have no road sense. You could seriously damage your front end hitting a big one at speed. The panel beaters in our town get about 1/3 of their business from roo hits.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah, sometimes they come in to feed around our towns edges. Have seen their poop on our front lawn a few times. Often see them on the towns outskirts. I don't like driving between sunset and until an hour after sunup. Just too many and they have no road sense. You could seriously damage your front end hitting a big one at speed. The panel beaters in our town get about 1/3 of their business from roo hits.

I’m surprised they come onto your lawn. I hope the animals aren’t starving now, on top of everything else.

If this was a movie or television series, all of these catastrophic events would make it look like the planet is going mental. It’s scary.

Do the Roos die when they get hit? They seem pretty big. And feisty!

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I’m surprised they come onto your lawn. I hope the animals aren’t starving now, on top of everything else.

If this was a movie or television series, all of these catastrophic events would make it look like the planet is going mental. It’s scary.

Do the Roos die when they get hit? They seem pretty big. And feisty!
Yes. Often the joey survives in the pouch. People carry florescent spray paint in their car. A painted "X" on the roo means that the pouch has been checked

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It's actually kinda cool that the smaller wildlife has gone underground, since the fires -- that's exactly how mammals survived the dinosaur-killer asteroid, 66 million years ago -- the smaller animals, including mammals, went underground in the ensuing firestorms, and they were small enough that finding enough to eat wasn't as big a problem as it was for the large animals during the "asteroid/firestorm winter" that followed for quite a long time afterward. If not for those tiny mammals surviving, there would have been no primates... so no humans.

Andria

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's actually kinda cool that the smaller wildlife has gone underground, since the fires -- that's exactly how mammals survived the dinosaur-killer asteroid, 66 million years ago -- the smaller animals, including mammals, went underground in the ensuing firestorms, and they were small enough that finding enough to eat wasn't as big a problem as it was for the large animals during the "asteroid/firestorm winter" that followed for quite a long time afterward. If not for those tiny mammals surviving, there would have been no primates... so no humans.

Andria
Why aren't primates still evolving. Did evolution just stop? I've always wanted to know the answer to that. If we came from monkeys, why aren't monkeys still turning into cavemen then people like us?

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Why aren't primates still evolving. Did evolution just stop? I've always wanted to know the answer to that. If we came from monkeys, why aren't monkeys still turning into cavemen then people like us?
I fink a Nobel prize awaits if you work that out.

Also why Neanderthals died out. And how some people appear to have 2% Neanderthal DNA when theoretically crossing one with a human is like trying to cross 2 different mammals like sheep and pigs

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I fink a Nobel prize awaits if you work that out.

Also why Neanderthals died out. And how some people appear to have 2% Neanderthal DNA when theoretically crossing one with a human is like trying to cross 2 different mammals like sheep and pigs
Oh I've been reading since my earlier post. It all comes down to survival of the "fittest". Fit being the key term. We did not evolve from monkey but a long down the road descendant. Goes along with environment. But if things evolved because of their environment,"say cave dwellers have no vision but hunt on sound and smell". So that that species can adapt or "evolve" into a descendant of the original species.

Taking all that in what about the endangered species we have now. Why wouldn't they just move to a different location and deal with or "evolve" into another location. New food source, New predators. But could not the endangered species just move along as the Neanderthals of Africa did? I guess it's more than any of us want imagine or discuss here at Vu.
Was just giving Andria some shit but figured I better read up before she schools me. Ha ha.

Back on topic. My youngest daughter and I camping 2 years ago
ea95b6b0000333864b1e78fc8d5cd115.jpg

VU Sponsors