Become a Patron!

Post a Picture Any Picture (that you took)

Rooster Cogburn

Memento Mori
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
whoops double post: well to avoid being a complete waste of space I’ll add some details to my giant fish. I was on my best friends boat on a cold Saturday morning in March. It was the only fish caught that day, caught within the first hour on the water and after 9 more hours it was all we caught. He asked if I needed a net and I said I don’t think so. Luckily he used his best judgement and grabbed the net because no sooner was it in the net that my line broke. That’s what friends are for because I would’ve been pissed if I lost it. I should’ve known better because it was a rocky bottom and my jig had been caught up a few times before catching it so the line was weaken but I ended up landing it anyway thanks to my favorite fishing buddy. So that’s the story and my attempt to turn wasted space into a boring fishing story.

Last edited:

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
whoops double post: well to avoid being a complete waste of space I’ll add some details to my giant fish. I was on my best friends boat on a cold Saturday morning in March. It was the only fish caught that day, caught within the first hour on the water and after 9 more hours it was all we caught. He asked if I needed a net and I said I don’t think so. Luckily he used his best judgement and grabbed the net because no sooner was it in the net that my line broke. That’s what friends are for because I would’ve been pissed if I lost it. I should’ve known better because it was a rocky bottom and my jig had been caught up a few times before catching it so the line was weaken but I ended up landing it anyway thanks to my favorite fishing buddy. So that’s the story and my attempt to turn wasted space into a boring fishing story.
Great fish mate. Nope not boring.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A little rooster with a broken comb. Booo. I think the neck is long enough I can redo the head. It'll just be a chunky stick chicken. Ha ha
a11919caa92b6912083331032444ae82.jpg

Rooster Cogburn

Memento Mori
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
You gave him the Rooster seal of approval!
And I don’t give my seal of approval all willy nilly. The originality, creativeness, and execution turning a small piece of wood into a Rooster is brilliant. Therefore Mr. Meowgi came away with the first seal of approval given out at VU. Cocka—Doodle—Do
If I could hand out banners; you sir would have a seal of approval one.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are you going to dry it out? How would mrs meowgie feel about juniper in the oven a few hours?

Fwiw, I don't actually know wtf I am talking about. I just know kiln drying wood is common practice
Most times carving green is easier then just let it dry. But you can carve dried. It's just tougher. With canes and walking sticks sometimes they split while drying. Smaller like I got today I'm hoping won't split.

I've read that with walking sticks, drying takes about a year per inch of thickness.

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
Most times carving green is easier then just let it dry. But you can carve dried. It's just tougher. With canes and walking sticks sometimes they split while drying. Smaller like I got today I'm hoping won't split.

I've read that with walking sticks, drying takes about a year per inch of thickness.
When I was racing cross country, the coolest trophy I ever got (and from the most grueling race I ever raced in) was a 2 inch thick slab of a tree, bark and everything. They wood burned the details of the race into it and then varnished it. The race was called "The Barb Wire 100”.
It's now in to pieces because the wood wasn't dry when they made it.

Sent from a Galaxy far far away!

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I was racing cross country, the coolest trophy I ever got (and from the most grueling race I ever raced in) was a 2 inch thick slab of a tree, bark and everything. They wood burned the details of the race into it and then varnished it. The race was called "The Barb Wire 100”.
It's now in to pieces because the wood wasn't dry when they made it.

Sent from a Galaxy far far away!
Sucks it broke apart but that's awesome that it was a wooden trophy

VU Sponsors