Become a Patron!

Possibly the dumbest question on here

bambam1096

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Long story short I am a dipper. I wanted to quit because it was tearing up my gums and its really bad for you (duh) I started to realize I didn't dip because I was addicted to nicotine but I liked the flavor and it was just something to do. Put a dip in. Spit in a bottle. If I was doing things I wouldn't even put a dip in my mouth. My friend told me to try vaping, so I did. I decided to try 0 mg nicotine and since I don't smoke cigarettes I don't inhale the smoke.

Now I'm reading articles that tell me how bad vaping is and I'm wondering...even though I'm taking away nicotine and I just putting other bad chemicals into my body? I went like a week without a dip and then tried to have one today because I left the vape at home and it made me nausea.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
There are no dumb questions... only dumb answers. The articles that tell you how bad vaping is are all pseudoscience related, and, since you don't inhale the vape and you don't use nicotine, the long term effect of 'putting other bad chemicals into your body' is very likely very close to negligible... way better for your health than driving your car at peak hour. If you live in the city the nitrous oxide from all the diesel car traffic kills you faster, as does all the soot coming from people who think it's cheaper to just throw out the soot filter from their diesel car instead of having the worn filter replaced.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Truth: A lot of the BS they're telling us about vaping being bad for us is just that - BS. Tobacco companies want a big slice of this little pie called vaping because their revenues are beginning to suffer with all of us ceasing to use their products. If they scare us into thinking we've jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire, surely we'll see the error of our ways and jump right back into the pan, wallets in tow.
I'm not going to tell you that vaping is 100% safe. I, nor anyone else, knows that. But I can tell you that it is at least 95% safer than smoking, as per the research done by the Royal College of Physicians in the UK. This is one of the most prestigious medical bodies in the world, and they have done their homework. Just google that and see what you come up with. ;)
Smoking or dipping, you're consuming a deadly product either way. You stopped putting that deadly product into your body, and congratulations for that. The fact that you became ill the one day you dipped after leaving your vape at home should tell you that tobacco is much worse for you than that nicotine free vape. Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see. You'll thank yourself later.
Welcome to VU!

bambam1096

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the replies guys. Most of the other people I talked to who vaped told me I was just doing it to be cool. You guys are way more informative than the people at the Vape shop I went to. Im not real happy with what I purchased, but oh well.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the replies guys. Most of the other people I talked to who vaped told me I was just doing it to be cool. You guys are way more informative than the people at the Vape shop I went to. Im not real happy with what I purchased, but oh well.
The folks at the b&m shops should be seen as advocates for the cause, IMO. If that's the attitude they have, I think I'd find another shop. They aren't supporting you or earning your money. ;)

Kranky Kanger

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Definitely BS. I smoked for 47 years, started vaping about 5 months ago. I breath better, got my sense of smell and taste back, have more energy, my blood pressure is lower, and I don't smell like an ashtray! That in and of itself tells me that vaping is not nearly as bad for you as cigarettes or dip. The UK study simply confirms it. You go girl!!!

bambam1096

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The folks at the b&m shops should be seen as advocates for the cause, IMO. If that's the attitude they have, I think I'd find another shop. They aren't supporting you or earning your money. ;)
Oh no he was supportive of me making the switch. He also used a lot of crazy words and I had no idea what he was talking about. Im just thinking I walked out of there spending a lot of money on something I didn't really need. I do love my MOD (guess thats what they are called??) my wife picked it out. My tank has been leaking and I can't figure out why which is what lead me to buy another can of dip. I don't like the idea of carrying around a paper towel and having juice get all over me.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry, I misunderstood. Shops can be pretty expensive, I agree. Which tank are you using? Perhaps someone here can help you with that.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Welcome to VU. Do please tell us about your gear so we can better help you.

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome to the VU. I'm a nurse and had my own concerns about vaping at first. So, I had two doctors that I have nothing but the utmost respect for assist me in my research. What they came up with, as did I, is that every single thing that was being said negatively about vaping was from sources that could only benefit from the negativity of it. On top of that, they pointed out that the studies performed on the vape equipment were done misusing the equipment and were not done using any form of proper scientific method. They didn't even use controls in the experiments. Meanwhile, the positive studies they read did utilize proper methods. Their suggestion was unanimous, quit smoking and start vaping. They did suggest using higher VG than PG, ONLY because they were not familiar with PG. These were ENT surgeons, BTW. I have been vaping ever since and my life has gotten so much better since. I have more energy, I don't get out of breath nearly as fast, and I find myself playing with my kids a LOT more. Not that this is gospel, but it was good enough to convince me and my wife that it was the right decision.

Keep in mind, and this was pointed out to me by these surgeons, that not only does big tobacco benefit from scaring people away from vaping, but so does big pharm since they are the ones selling the quit smoking cures that so many of us have tried and failed with over the years. The cards are stacked against vapers and they know it.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you are not inhaling, I can't see vaping as being any more dangerous than chewing gum or eating a piece of hard candy. The flavoring is the same. I've made candy with my vape flavoring and it's quite good.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
If you are not inhaling, I can't see vaping as being any more dangerous than chewing gum or eating a piece of hard candy. The flavoring is the same. I've made candy with my vape flavoring and it's quite good.
I hadn't even thought of that, I can flavor my fudge, let the experiments commence. Yum.

bambam1096

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wow you guys are awesome and super helpful. I think me dipping was just giving me something to do along with he flavor. I mainly dipped fruity stuff. Apple Peach Berry etc. I have a Kaos X box which my wife picked out solely because I work on computers and the side looks like the inside of a computer. My tank is a uwell crown III. I was sold some really bad juice. It literally tasted like a porta potty I could not get the taste out so I changed the coil and I did it exactly how he showed me. Its leaking juice out of the air flow. My setup seems kinda excessive since I only vape on 45-55 watts.

also how do you guys switch out flavors?

Not that that is important until I can get my tank to stop leaking.

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow you guys are awesome and super helpful. I think me dipping was just giving me something to do along with he flavor. I mainly dipped fruity stuff. Apple Peach Berry etc. I have a Kaos X box which my wife picked out solely because I work on computers and the side looks like the inside of a computer. My tank is a uwell crown III. I was sold some really bad juice. It literally tasted like a porta potty I could not get the taste out so I changed the coil and I did it exactly how he showed me. Its leaking juice out of the air flow. My setup seems kinda excessive since I only vape on 45-55 watts.

also how do you guys switch out flavors?

Not that that is important until I can get my tank to stop leaking.
For flavor switching, it depends on what the flavor was and the new one is for me.
If it is two somewhat similar flavors, or at least flavors that don't necessarily clash, I just vape until the tank is as empty as I can get it without getting a dry hit and add the new flavor.
If it is a flavor that clashes I will either a) rewick my tank or b) use a different tank for that particular flavor. I get bored with flavors or sometimes just want a change throughout the day, so I usually have more than one tank with me, each with different flavors because I am lazy.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Check oring on your coil. Since you don't like the flavor in tank... empty tank and remove coil. Disassemble tank and rinse with hot water. Pay attention to oring placement, you need to rinse them as well. If you have another coil use it, inspect the oring 1st. Prime new coil and install. Try closing af, air flow, when filling tank. Good luck.

bambam1096

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For flavor switching, it depends on what the flavor was and the new one is for me.
If it is two somewhat similar flavors, or at least flavors that don't necessarily clash, I just vape until the tank is as empty as I can get it without getting a dry hit and add the new flavor.
If it is a flavor that clashes I will either a) rewick my tank or b) use a different tank for that particular flavor. I get bored with flavors or sometimes just want a change throughout the day, so I usually have more than one tank with me, each with different flavors because I am lazy.
I was reading that some people carry around 2 tanks which seemed like a lot to me. A lot to keep up with.

bambam1096

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Check oring on your coil. Since you don't like the flavor in tank... empty tank and remove coil. Disassemble tank and rinse with hot water. Pay attention to oring placement, you need to rinse them as well. If you have another coil use it, inspect the oring 1st. Prime new coil and install. Try closing af, air flow, when filling tank. Good luck.
I tried taking everything apart and reinstalling everything, but I didn't put a new o ring on it. When I put the new coil in it got rid of that gross flavor. What I have in there now is something I enjoy, but have been wasting a lot of.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Did you check the oring on the coil itself? Sometimes they slip or become twisted or threading could be off. If you flooded the coil a simple fix is get a paper towel and blow through drip tip to purge juice out thru af. Up the watts for a couple of pulls.

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was reading that some people carry around 2 tanks which seemed like a lot to me. A lot to keep up with.
I have an office at work, so it's not for me. But without my office, maybe. I just realized that I have 4 tanks and 2 mods sitting on my desk right now, LOL! I would suggest then maybe carrying a ziplock baggy maybe to put the coil used with the old juice in until you decide to go back to that flavor? I don't know if anyone has a better suggestion. Most of my flavors don't clash, so I don't typically have this issue. Even when I switch from a cheesecake flavor to fruit, it's just adding that fruit to the cheesecake for a little while until all of it passes through, which is how I discovered that I really like mixed berry cheesecake flavor.

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Did you check the oring on the coil itself? Sometimes they slip or become twisted or threading could be off. If you flooded the coil a simple fix is get a paper towel and blow through drip tip to purge juice out thru af. Up the watts for a couple of pulls.
Yep, and every once in a while you just get a crap coil. It's fairly rare but very annoying when it happens, especially considering how much they cost.

bambam1096

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have an office at work, so it's not for me. But without my office, maybe. I just realized that I have 4 tanks and 2 mods sitting on my desk right now, LOL! I would suggest then maybe carrying a ziplock baggy maybe to put the coil used with the old juice in until you decide to go back to that flavor? I don't know if anyone has a better suggestion. Most of my flavors don't clash, so I don't typically have this issue. Even when I switch from a cheesecake flavor to fruit, it's just adding that fruit to the cheesecake for a little while until all of it passes through, which is how I discovered that I really like mixed berry cheesecake flavor.
I don't see me having an issue with flavor clashing it was just that one juice I couldn't get rid of the porta potty taste. It was horrible. I changed the coil and everything tastes great now. I generally like just fruity flavors so I don't see it being an issue. I wouldn't mind getting an extra tank with different juice in it to switch out. I wouldn't even have to carry it around. I don't see myself being out and about and thinking whoa I need a new flavor if that makes sense. It would probably be a day by day thing for me.

bambam1096

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you don't mind me asking what do you mean by flooding the coil? Ill check all the orings tonight at work and dip them in some water or something to get the juice off and replace them and see if that works.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
If you overfill the tank the coil will flood, literally too much juice the coil cannot burn off. Are you getting juice in your mouth or does the tank gurgle when you take a hit?

bambam1096

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you overfill the tank the coil will flood, literally too much juice the coil cannot burn off. Are you getting juice in your mouth or does the tank gurgle when you take a hit?
It like makes popping noises sometimes when I take a hi, but not all the time.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Popping is normal for some tanks. The coil is probably your problem, if not it's the deck. Did you blow out the af?

bambam1096

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Popping is normal for some tanks. The coil is probably your problem, if not it's the deck. Did you blow out the af?
I haven't had a chance yet. Ive had a pretty busy night at work, but as soon as I get a chance Ill let you know how if it works. Thanks for all your help so far you've been a life saver.

bambam1096

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Okay so I blew through my drip tip and I have a lot of juice coming out of the airflow holes? I'm guessing that's what they are called.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Are you still getting leaks after blowing out?

bambam1096

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Are you still getting leaks after blowing out?
I am I blew out until I couldn't see anymore coming out then I cranked it up and hit it on high a few times...everything seemed fine and then I was driving down the road and when I titled it to put in my mouth drops just got all over my shirt

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Well that sucks. Lol
Go back to the shop and ask for help. Hopefully they know more about the tank than you do. If you're lucky they care about reputation and do right by you. If not come back and tell what you like and don't like about the tank and we can help you with choosing a better alternative.

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Long story short I am a dipper. I wanted to quit because it was tearing up my gums and its really bad for you (duh) I started to realize I didn't dip because I was addicted to nicotine but I liked the flavor and it was just something to do. Put a dip in. Spit in a bottle. If I was doing things I wouldn't even put a dip in my mouth. My friend told me to try vaping, so I did. I decided to try 0 mg nicotine and since I don't smoke cigarettes I don't inhale the smoke.

Now I'm reading articles that tell me how bad vaping is and I'm wondering...even though I'm taking away nicotine and I just putting other bad chemicals into my body? I went like a week without a dip and then tried to have one today because I left the vape at home and it made me nausea.

That same thing happened to my mom when she tried cigarettes after she started vaping. Only ingredients in most e-juices is VG (vegetable glycerine), PG (propylene glycol), nicotine and flavorings, none of which are really harmful from what I know, so it's definitely giving you the "fix" in a far safer way. Can't really explain it for you with you being a chewing tobacco user, since it's not breathed in as far as I know. The doctors say my mom's lungs have improved dramatically though, and the only thing she changed about her lifestyle was quitting smoking.

That said, I do know this: You have a far better chance of dying/getting badly sick from chewing tobacco than from vaping. Vaping MIGHT hurt you if you don't know the basic formula of too much current + excessive heat buildup + enclosed space = BOOM and build on an unregulated device (but mostly it gives you serious burns.) Tobacco, on the other hand, will almost certainly do you harm with all the chemicals inside.

Last edited:

bambam1096

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well that sucks. Lol
Go back to the shop and ask for help. Hopefully they know more about the tank than you do. If you're lucky they care about reputation and do right by you. If not come back and tell what you like and don't like about the tank and we can help you with choosing a better alternative.
Was finally able to make it to the store. He replaced my coil for free and gave me a box of 4 for 10 bucks. He told me they generally don't leak and if mine does then it's because the juice I'm vaping is really thin. He said the tank I have is for like 70/30 and the juice I have is 50/50

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
50/50 is pretty thin for your tank. How's the new coil working out?

bambam1096

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
50/50 is pretty thin for your tank. How's the new coil working out?
It's been in for less than and hour and hasn't leaked so far so good. I'm thinking about getting a different tank he said the nautilus mini would be a good tank but maybe I'll just hold off

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Nauti mini is at the opposite end of the spectrum. Tight mtl.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Went to the store I got the juice and he said he only juice he sales is 70/30 and a leaky tank is juice a side effect of vaping

When you next go into the shop, please ask someone to break the tank down and walk you through a rebuild. Be sure to pay attention to the o-rings and if they skip over them you need to ask about them. Most cases where tanks leak it is the o-rings causing problems.

If it isn't o-rings I'd be rather lost to offer any other suggestion, maybe the glass is busted, chipped? If that's the case you'll need to buy a new glass tube. I too agree that it's bullshit you got fed. Plenty of tanks do not leak, many vapers using a lot of these tanks too.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
@bambam1096 Tell us what you like about the tank and what you don't like. You are not the only one having issues with Crown III. At this point I suspect you need a replacement deck. If it were me I would get a new tank tank and reach out to Uwell about deck.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@bambam1096 Tell us what you like about the tank and what you don't like. You are not the only one having issues with Crown III. At this point I suspect you need a replacement deck. If it were me I would get a new tank tank and reach out to Uwell about deck.

Hm. Well yes, that can happen too. A manufacturer can have an issue with the computer-aided machining. I got some alleged Nichrome 80 pre-coiled coils, they were allegedly set at 0.50Ω. Beat all if I could actually use them without facing issues. Wife says to me, "because you're cheap and good, honey ... doesn't mean everything cheap is good." (Revision: Coffee hadn't started the brain, word/s might not have made it in typing. :) )

I could only shake my head and looked puzzledly at the little plastic box of bread ties. Taught me a lesson, be wary of buying pre-coiled coils and especially so if they are too cheap. I can only speculate the maker had some difficulty in the making of these coils. No great loss though, I got a whole 100ft spool of Nichrome80A 28awg bought from a trusted source here in America. :)

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you're going to get a new tank, I'd look into getting a top airflow tank. Harder to get those to leak for obvious reasons. My girlfriend bought one yesterday. I don't know what kind she has - I only use RDAs and RBAs since I learned how to wick those properly, but this is what I'm talking about.

DSCN0520[1].JPG

voicenyerhed

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you're going to get a new tank, I'd look into getting a top airflow tank. Harder to get those to leak for obvious reasons. My girlfriend bought one yesterday. I don't know what kind she has - I only use RDAs and RBAs since I learned how to wick those properly, but this is what I'm talking about.

View attachment 94691
That looks just like a Big Baby, only with top air flow!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors