Become a Patron!

Possible coils for people with Dollar Trees near by!

rades

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I found this wire that could possibly be used for coils! No clue what gauge but looks like possibly 26? I'm gonna tinker with it tonight and see what I come up with and report back. 99 feet for a buck so what the hell.
56c855edb412ce79a1fc8e972ada4ef1.jpg
abc88b153791b1b1a808ca91ebc37f4e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boostedyota

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Following this. I have one near me but dont have a mod yet but want to learn as much as I can before I buy one.

rades

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Won't work?

skeene

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm far from an expert, but wouldn't you at least need stainless?

rades

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What could go wrong!?

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You're crazy. I'm a manager at a Dollar Tree and I wouldn't dream of it. The quality of our products is terrible. 90% of it is made in China and the way it is packaged and shipped is very much illegal in some states. It is so beyond cheap that it isn't worth the money spent on using it for its actual purpose. What other corners are being cut, one can only guess. Half of the shit we get is not as advertised. The only exception would be the medicine, which is required to meet certain standards regarding the quality of ingredients and purity. Everything else is a total crapshoot. Wouldn't trust it any more than the company I work for and know all too well...

rades

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh god hahaha

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh god hahaha
Hah, you laugh, but seriously! It's more than likely shit wire made from actual, carbonized shit! Don't vape it!

Naw, but really now, it's bound to be full of impurities. I can almost guarantee you that it's industrial grade steel wire, far removed from 304 or 316L. It's probably closer to the retarded incest brother of the two. It's not made or sold for any form of human consumption, let alone the ambiguously ambivalent realm of vaping. It doesn't have to play by the same rules and you're a fool to so much as assume it might. Please don't do this.

At best, it sucks. At worst, it presents immediate hazards to your well-being. Wouldn't even make a ghetto grill out of it.

Last edited:

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I really don't think it would withstand very high temps. And it's subject to have some kind of coating on it.

rades

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
6ce19554828968f91cbf4acfcd38d69a.jpg

How about this from Walmart?

rades

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm doing some weekend shopping as you can see lol

z man

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
NO,NO AND NO....You will get Zinc poisoning if not Your not careful....If You make a coil out of ANY WIRE that is sold at a dollar store it WILL BE BAD FOR YOU AND ANY ONE AROUND WHEN YOUR BATTERY VENTS...Sorry for yelling,I don't mean to be rude,if You MUST get wire at one of the big box stores,go to the hobby isle and get some Ni-chrome wire that is used for launching model rockets using electric ignition....Z

MikeSully

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Please don't. Mild steel will certainly rust with the condensation created by vaping. Cheap is not always best when you are ingesting or inhaling the stuff into your body.

cavtruper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
.... Thanks, OneBadWolf!

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

z man

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They paint TOYS with lead based paint,its in the plastic stuff they produce why quit smoking and vape with this stuff??...I wondered about light gauge T.I.G. filler wire hammered flat then spun into a coil but the sane person in My head told Me to quit foolin' around and learn to do this the safe,and right way ....Z

supermarket

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
To the OP, why are you willing to risk your health, and harm to those around you by playing with fire? You do realize that kanthal is EXTREMELY cheap, right? Heating up various metals, and using them to vaporize stuff you are going to inhale, is not a game.

You have no idea the exact metal content in those 2 packages you posted pictures of, nor the coatings they may or may not have. Why did you think they'd be safe for vaping anyway?

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Worse idea ever. Who knows what's in that wire. Buy from reputable sources.

cavtruper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Stainless steel 302/304 wire, you know whats in it, in a great container, UNBEATABLE PRICE!
http://www.malinco.com/aerospace-lockwire.html Other gauges available, look on amazon
1lb of .015 (approx 26 gauge)= 1655'! That equates to .013 CENTS A FOOT!
Whats to think about? That rips anything out there!

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm all about saving money, but when it comes to vaping I'm more about health, that's why I quit the 2 pack a day habit. At 2 packs a day I was spending close to ten dollars a day. when the time comes that I can't spend 5$ for 30ft of wire and 6$ for a years worth of Japanese cotton, that'll be the day I sell mods.

Last edited:

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Why are we trying to save money on wire? 35-40 feet of Ti about $10. Kanthal 100' about $8. That's without trying to shop around.
You just came from smoking 25¢-50¢ in 5 minutes and you can't afford a 10¢ coil that will last at least a week???

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Why are we trying to save money on wire? 35-40 feet of Ti about $10. Kanthal 100' about $8. That's without trying to shop around.
You just came from smoking 25¢-50¢ in 5 minutes and you can't afford a 10¢ coil that will last at least a week???
This is the kind of thing that gives the people who want to stop us ammunition against us. Not to mention the inherent dangers to the users health.
And the second post is someone looking to start? Fml

Reactions: Myk

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I buy from Lightning, & Temco. Lightning is usually faster & cheaper. I use Temco for more components than wire. I do custom electronics. Just a hobby.

Discobob

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
From your other thread money is not an object here can you enlighten us on what you are thinking? Not like what are you thinking in a rude way I mean like what's the deal here, I can go out in my backyard and grab some chicken wire and vape it but I don't:)

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
From your other thread money is not an object here can you enlighten us on what you are thinking? Not like what are you thinking in a rude way I mean like what's the deal here, I can go out in my backyard and grab some chicken wire and vape it but I don't:)
Where would you keep the chickens then,..
That's a good way to save money there, the eggs taste better and the mandarin chicken is super fresh.

Myk

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
what you are thinking? Not like what are you thinking in a rude way I mean like what's the deal here

I've wondered the same thing, maybe vapocalypse?
In case of vapocalypse see me, I have around 1000' of kanthal I probably won't use unless I open a toaster repair shop.

rades

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think everyone misunderstood, we all want cheap but money is not an issue with the wire, I just started used mechs and saw this pretty looking wire wrapped up at a dollar store so I got excited lol, I thought I'd buy it just for shits in case it did work! Luckily I posted before using it and everyone was able to tell me not to use!

Reactions: MC5

rades

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If I used it before posting I'd be a real idiot lol

MC5

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's when you start buying liquid and batteries at Dollar Tree that you know you've gotten too frugal for your own good lol!

rades

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Haha

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is a Public Service Announcement.

Please do not poison yourself because you tried to save like, four dollars on wire for coils.

This has been a Public Service Announcement. Thank you.

jamey554

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah hes right it could b polished galvanize wire, have u ever welded on galvinized steel it realeases a toxic black smoke not good, not good at all, someone donate this person some kathal or something.

rades

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I didn't use the wire guys don't worry lol

rades

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I followed the spreedsheet of the loranns oils to use/not use. I ordered some Capella tobacco to try that out

Rhyno636

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There are soooo many "new members" on VU and some of these posts are just outright ridiculous. I know I never posted shit this stupid. I just don't get it.

Rhyno636

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I found this wire that could possibly be used for coils! No clue what gauge but looks like possibly 26? I'm gonna tinker with it tonight and see what I come up with and report back. 99 feet for a buck so what the hell.
56c855edb412ce79a1fc8e972ada4ef1.jpg
abc88b153791b1b1a808ca91ebc37f4e.jpg

You should use a coat hanger and vape some vodka.
Btw, a Dollar Store plastic coat hanger probably won't work, but I'm sure you're willing to try anyway.

rades

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Pretty ignorant as I already explained myself but whatever makes you happy.

DuckysVapeReviews

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Stainless steel wire, kanthal, nichrome, nicromal and a few others I am forgetting are suitable. Remember Nicrome is a nickel cromium alloy. Hobby lobby sells 98% stainless.

supermarket

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think everyone misunderstood, we all want cheap but money is not an issue with the wire, I just started used mechs and saw this pretty looking wire wrapped up at a dollar store so I got excited lol, I thought I'd buy it just for shits in case it did work! Luckily I posted before using it and everyone was able to tell me not to use!

Doesn't sound like anyone misunderstood. Are you sure you are old enough to vape?

I'm not trying to be mean at all...I'm just trying to understand how you even arrived at the idea that somehow wire from a dollar store would be okay to use in vaping?

Oh well, even though you could have found your answer with a 1 second google search, I guess you are right, at LEAST you came here to ask instead of trying it first....that's how people end up dead.

supermarket

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
There are soooo many "new members" on VU and some of these posts are just outright ridiculous. I know I never posted shit this stupid. I just don't get it.

I'm thinking the same thing.

Honestly, a HUGE part of the problem is someone who has never vaped before sees their friends doing it, thinks its "cool", and wants to vape. So , without having ANY idea of they work, or what each component does.....they jump right in to the "hobby" aspect of vaping....sub ohms, mech mods, unregulated devices, RDAs/RBAs, etc, etc.

Back in the day when I started vaping, it was REAL simple. If you wanted to quit cigarettes and try vaping, you went online and bouht a vape pen from one of the many sources Many of them outright sucked, but it was a relatively simple process...you didn't build anything , everything was prebuilt. Literally all you had to do was pick which company to order from, and which flavors you wanted. Then after that you just bought more cartomizers once yours ran out.

Nowadays there is so much stuff to choose from, and there are sub-categories of vaping, such as flavor chasing/cloud chasing, etc.

VU Sponsors