Become a Patron!

Poke Cake

Cramptholomew

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Every year, my wife makes "poke cake" on July 4th. It's a white vanilla cake, poked with holes, and raspberry Jello poured in it. Then it's chilled in the fridge, and topped with whipped cream. This is that cake. Exactly.

5% Capella cake batter
5% Capella vanilla custard
2% FA raspberry
2% FA fresh cream
2% TFA raspberry sweet
2% TFA Whipped Cream
1% FA apple pie
1% FA lime cold pressed

Last edited:

kabalm18

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My mom...then my wife make a cake like this every year for my birthday but with strawberry hello poured in the holes but the topping is banana pudding mixed with whipped cream packets (powder) creating a banana whipped cream pudding topping! The best ever!

VapingHippie

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If I weren't allergic to raspberries I'd give it a try.

Cramptholomew

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For all you strawberry peeps, I'd still use some raspberry with the strawberry to get a bright berry flavor. Maybe 1% TFA raspberry sweet and 2-3% strawberry. I'd prolly go with the TFA strawberry ripe for this one.

bbybee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My mom...then my wife make a cake like this every year for my birthday but with strawberry hello poured in the holes but the topping is banana pudding mixed with whipped cream packets (powder) creating a banana whipped cream pudding topping! The best ever!
You married your mother!!! I'm kidding. I know what you meant, just struck me funny.
Unless you, in fact did marry your mom, then... 8-l

Mr Joshua

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Damn, sounds great....so many recipes now and so little time. Thanks!

Talon4x4

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If I weren't allergic to raspberries I'd give it a try.

I had read somewhere that the flavorings we use don't contain any part of the real fruit. Its just a bunch of different chemicals combined to make the resulting product taste like the real thing. Thus, people with allergies can use them. I wish I could find that info but I can't. Maybe someone else can chime in about this.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had read somewhere that the flavorings we use don't contain any part of the real fruit. Its just a bunch of different chemicals combined to make the resulting product taste like the real thing. Thus, people with allergies can use them. I wish I could find that info but I can't. Maybe someone else can chime in about this.

There's no real fruit in these flavorings. It's true chemicals are used - the same ones that make up the real fruit, if that makes sense. I suppose, then, it's possible that someone could still be allergic? There's a blurb about this on the Flavor Art website somewhere, explaining about artiicial flavoring.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
doesnt part of the "flavor" of raspberry come from a gland in a skunks ass lol. either way Im still vaping it.

tsk :rolleyes: of course not. That would be disgusting. It comes from a gland near a beaver's tail.

That's probably NOT the source for FA Raspberry, though. It's more likely found in "natural" and "organic" raspberry flavors, because it's hard to milk a beaver's glands. hahahaha! Totally true stuff: http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/castoreum.asp (psst, what's in your organic vanilla, lmao!)

ClaireW

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
doesnt part of the "flavor" of raspberry come from a gland in a skunks ass lol. either way Im still vaping it.

Never heard of poke cake. It was sounding fun till the mention of skunk ass glands!

Googling poke cake. Almost afraid what I might find.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
tsk :rolleyes: of course not. That would be disgusting. It comes from a gland near a beaver's tail.

That's probably NOT the source for FA Raspberry, though. It's more likely found in "natural" and "organic" raspberry flavors, because it's hard to milk a beaver's glands. hahahaha! Totally true stuff: http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/castoreum.asp (psst, what's in your organic vanilla, lmao!)
I saw the beaver *ahem* gland one on one of Andrew Zimmern's shows. He was touring a flavor facility. So cool.

Talon4x4

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i have seen people allegic to the vaping and juice..

But wouldn't you say that most of the allergic reactions people experience are coming from the PG and to a lesser extent VG?! As opposed to the flavorings being used.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
no..

i forgot who is allergic here to cinnamon that makes their gums swell..
had a girl friend that wheezes on absinthe.. there is all sorts of things, besides pg people are allergic to..

i am allergic to coconut, cant eat it..(breathing problems) i can tolerate it vaping, but it makes me wheeze too..

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OHH, poke cake! This is the only cake my husband will eat. Got the recipe from a friend 20 yrs. Ago. She called it jello cake. How did I get so old? I got the caps custard v2 in my cart for your white cake...thinking I need some cake batter now too. It taste anything like liking the battered spatula? I hope so!

Cramptholomew

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
OHH, poke cake! This is the only cake my husband will eat. Got the recipe from a friend 20 yrs. Ago. She called it jello cake. How did I get so old? I got the caps custard v2 in my cart for your white cake...thinking I need some cake batter now too. It taste anything like liking the battered spatula? I hope so!
It tastes as much as a cake batter "flavor" can taste like actual cake batter. Honestly, this is the only recipe I used it in. It works well with FA Vanilla Classic.

krwynn

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Wow, never knew I loved skunk ass glands! Ya never know till ya try it if you'll like it!

Not skunk. It's beaver.

From wiki:

Food use

In the United States, castoreum is considered to be a GRAS food additive by the Food and Drug Administration. It is often referenced simply as a "natural flavoring" in products' lists of ingredients. While it is mainly used in foods and beverages as part of a substitute vanilla flavour, it is less commonly used as a part of a raspberry or strawberry flavoring. The annual industry consumption is very low, around 300 pounds, whereas vanillin is over 2.6 million pounds annually.

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey Crampmolothew! How long would you steep this naturally? I made up a batch last night. I realized I didn't have tfa raspberry sweet so I put in some bilberry. Also, how long do you steep your white cake? I mixed up a batch last night also...had all ingredients:) And can I crock pot either of these? If so, how long? Thank you!

Cramptholomew

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I let the poke cake sit for a day or so. The coconut cake I vape right away.

Dunno how the billberry is gonna work here. It sure won't taste like the original recipe, but I hope you like it.

I think @AmandaD might crock pot her coconut cake. It does get better over time, but it's vapeable right away.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Dunno how the billberry is gonna work here. It sure won't taste like the original recipe, but I hope you like it.

I think @AmandaD might crock pot her coconut cake. It does get better over time, but it's vapeable right away.

I do! I've even forgotten about it and left it in overnight:p

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Well, your white cake is amazing...am vaping it now. Thank You! I have no tfa whip cream. Looking through notes, HIC mentioned 2:1 ratio of fresh cream to meringue =whip cream/ or Vienna to fresh cream Hmmm, I'll try it w/o first...and then maybe add some Vienna or meringue and see what happens.

Last edited:

Cramptholomew

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, your white cake is amazing...am vaping it now. Thank You! I have no tfa whip cream. Looking through notes, HIC mentioned 2:1 ratio of fresh cream to meringue =whip cream/ or Vienna to fresh cream Hmmm, I'll try it w/o first...and then maybe add some Vienna or meringue and see what happens.
I wouldn't use meringue or vienna. Fresh Cream, maybe. Meringue has a definite flavor, and it doesn't taste anything like whipped cream. Vienna is the same way. Honestly, I don't get much traditional cream from Vienna at all. It definitely has its place, but not in whipped cream. It's not often that I disagree with HIC, but this would be one of those times.

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wouldn't use meringue or vienna. Fresh Cream, maybe. Meringue has a definite flavor, and it doesn't taste anything like whipped cream. Vienna is the same way. Honestly, I don't get much traditional cream from Vienna at all. It definitely has its place, but not in whipped cream. It's not often that I disagree with HIC, but this would be one of those times.
Well, I've got a can of redi whip in the fridge.:D I'll just vape the cake and then finish it off with a squirt of Redi whip in my mouth! :cool:Thanks Crampmolothew:p!

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay Crampmolothew, your poke cake w/o the whip cream & w/o the tfa raspberry sweet, with the addition of 1% FA Bilberry is the bomb! I didn't even have to break out the redi whip! I like this as much as your white cake! Delicious! Thank you for sharing!!

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
When I first tried this, the Vape was nasty, but I used 3% FA Raspberry cause I don't have any TFA Sweet Raspberry.
Then I added 5ml of base for dilution and added/adjusted all the flavors except Raspberry & Lime.
And added 3% FA Strawberry and let it steep for a week.
Taste on finger is delish, but Vape was kinda strange at first.
After tooting on this for a bit today, it seems to be getting better.
Thinking I just don't like Raspberry or Strawberry flavored vapes, (must be the Beaver Glands:eek: ).
Or maybe just using less is the key, as I think HIC said the Raspberry was strong.
Probably 1% each would be better, for me, in this recipe.
Just my weird taste buds I suppose.
Next time I'm gonna try it with Blackberry & Blueberry, my favorites:D

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I first tried this, the Vape was nasty, but I used 3% FA Raspberry cause I don't have any TFA Sweet Raspberry.
Then I added 5ml of base for dilution and added/adjusted all the flavors except Raspberry & Lime.
And added 3% FA Strawberry and let it steep for a week.
Taste on finger is delish, but Vape was kinda strange at first.
After tooting on this for a bit today, it seems to be getting better.
Thinking I just don't like Raspberry or Strawberry flavored vapes, (must be the Beaver Glands:eek: ).
Or maybe just using less is the key, as I think HIC said the Raspberry was strong.
Probably 1% each would be better, for me, in this recipe.
Just my weird taste buds I suppose.
Next time I'm gonna try it with Blackberry & Blueberry, my favorites:D
Raspberry is real strong! I love beaver glands. I think if you kept the base you could use different fruits in your cake...correct me if I am wrong cramptholomew, but I'm guessing the tfa raspberry sweet gives it a sweeter taste as compared with fa fruits? The poke cake I made w/o the tfa whip cream and tfa sweet raspberry isn't sweet...more of a berry poke cake w/o the sugar or whipped cream, but I like it. I like the combination of cake batter, creams, and lime.

VU Sponsors