Become a Patron!

Pizza Dave Reviews - The Snowwolf 85w

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello everyone and welcome to Pizza Dave’s vape reviews. Today I will be going over everything you need to know about the Snowwolf 85w mod. This device was sent to me by Sigelei/Snowwolf for review.

QPUPuqH.jpg

INTRODUCTION

The Snowwolf 85w mod is one of the more recent releases by Snowwolf, except it doesn’t look it. They went old school for the styling and made a device that is a throwback to older devices. It features 85w of power, temp control, small form factor, and runs on a single 18650. I’m going to get right to it, look at how it operates, and give you my final thoughts at the bottom.

WHAT YOU GET

- 1 85W Mod

- 1 USB Cable

- 1 User Manual,

- 1 Warranty card

- 1 Certificate

- 4 Skin covers (2 pink patterns, 2 black patterns)

- Available in black/gunmetal and black/silver

QX4n7lE.jpg

taFpMZd.jpg

FEATURES

The Snowwolf 85w device is not full of bells and whistles. Instead, what you get is a simple, straight forward single battery device that functions well for what it is. Based on my own experience, the chip seems to be quite similar to what was in Sigelei devices way back in 2016 (or earlier?). I have more on operation of this chip in the operations section below. The only real “feature” that might set it apart from other single battery devices like this is the addition of decals to customize the device for your liking. They cover the battery side covers with your choice of a pink carbon fiber or black swirl pattern. I don’t know how well they will stick because the panels are not smooth, but it is nice to have the ability to make this device your own. Both battery doors are removable, which makes for easy battery removal. Also, the side doors are definitely the brunt of the weight of the device. When they are removed, this thing is as light as a feather I think it would be nice if they released multiple doors for the device so one could change them out to play the matchy matchy game with whatever atty is installed on the device.

RKcloO7.jpg

OPERATION

The Snowwolf 85s features a chipset that is a bit dated and the screen has the same look as the Sigelei J80 mod of days past. I am not saying they are using the same old chip here (they might be?), but rather they stuck to a design that worked for them in the past and one that many are familiar with. If you have handled one of the older devices, you know what to expect, and there are no surprises to be had. It shows wattage (or temp), resistance, amps, volts on battery, and volts applied to the coil. The battery indicator appears to be a live reading like it was on my old Fuchai 213, but it doesn’t jump around nearly as much.

Operation and menu systems are as follows:

- 5 clicks on, 5 clicks off

- 3 clicks enters the operations menu where you can select power or temp control modes

- Press fire and the up button will enter the preheat menu (cannot be shut off)

- Press up and down buttons together and it will enter resistance setting for temp control

- NO LOCKING FUNCTION

HOW IT VAPES

First off, I used mine strictly in wattage mode. I hardly ever dabble in temp control, and elected not to try it on this device due to past failures of temp control by Sigelei. I ran mine at 75 watts and an 85 watt preheat with the Geekvape Blitzen on top. The battery was real weak by the afternoon of a work day as expected, but I brought a spare with me in anticipation and kept on vaping. It feels a bit underpowered. I did some side by side comparisons to other devices I own, and across the board, this device at 85 watts felt closer to the 70 watt mark of other devices. The device thrives with smaller atomizers on top that is for sure. I threw a Nautilus 2 on top of it and it was a great fit for this device. It allowed for better battery life, ample wattage for those coils, and was a great portable device with the small atomizer on top.

MISCELLANEOUS PHOTOS

Side by side of the silver and gunmetal versions

NeZENey.jpg

Side by side with an Asmodus Minikin V2

J1caMrR.jpg

npMDcCJ.jpg

With Blitzen 24 on top (nasty overhang)

tZVDwo9.jpg

8MKMiRr.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS

The Snowwolf 85w is caught in some sort of time warp. I don’t know if it has a huge market amongst today’s devices. However, I could see it being purchased by people that loved those older Sigelei devices and wanted to get a replacement with a few changes to the form factor. It is built fairly solid. The buttons all click nice, and there is no rattle with them. The battery itself does move around a bit, but that’s the only rattle I heard. The doors look cool in my opinion, but I did find the machining of them to be a bit rough around the edges. On a positive note though, the doors do fit into place solid. The magnets hold them secure, and they aren’t going anywhere. The device frame itself has a rubberized coating. I was a bit surprised by this, and it works well in this application, as the mix of materials gives it a great feel in hand. One of the biggest cons I had was overhang. The rounded nature of device makes anything over 22mm overhang and that is a simple thing that could have been avoided. I do feel this device would work better with smaller atomizers anyway, but its 2018, and 24mm is almost a minimum size now. The lack of power was a letdown, but once again comes back to where I feel this device fits in. Smaller atties will fit better, and the reduced wattage would also work much better on it. I enjoy using the thing though. It feels good in the hand, and I dig the look of the gunmetal one! It may be a bit dated, but it definitely does work well when coupled with the right atomizer!

PROS

- Compact design

- Ergonomic

- Throwback Design (subjective pro)

- Decals add some customization right out of the box

- Works great with small atties

- Simple to operate

- Buttons feel great

CONS

- Power “feels” overstated

- Door machining could be improved

- 24mm atties will overhang

- Battery life is low when running it at 85w (expected, but still a con)

- Throwback design could also be a con as it looks dated

- Chipset looks dated

- Battery rattle

Thank you everyone for reading my review, and thank you to Sigelei/Snowwolf for sending it my way! If this device seems like something you want to try out, I have attached links to where it can be purchased.

Sigelei - $56

http://store.sigelei.com/Snowwolf-85W-Mod

Element Vape - $54.95

https://www.elementvape.com/snowwolf-85w-tc-box-mod

Pizza Dave – delivering real reviews with no extra toppings

VU Sponsors