Become a Patron!

Pizza Dave Reviews - The Capt'n Kit by Vaptio

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
INTRODUCTION

_____________________________________________________________________________________

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Hello Everyone and welcome to Pizza Dave’s Vape Reviews. Today I will be reviewing the Capt’n Kit by Vaptio. As always, I keep my reviews unbiased, but this device was sent to me by Vaptio for review. The Capt’n is the latest mod from the company and is a continuation of the “Hero” series of devices. These devices all have a super hero them. First came the Spiderman themed Wallcrawler, then the Batman themed Super Bat, and now the Capt’n which as the name suggests is all about Captain America. I have mixed feelings about these themes, but they all have character and plenty of vapors are fans of the comics and films, so I can see the market for them. This dual 18650 powered device has a max power of 220W, temp control, curve modes all packed into a very compact device. I will dive into the operation, how it vapes, the included tank, and give my final thoughts down at the bottom.

VZfGMwz.jpg

WHAT YOU GET

- Vaptio Capt’n Mod

- Capt’n Sub-ohm tank

- Spare glass

- 1 W2 .4 ohm coil

- 1 W8 .15 ohm coil

- Extra Delrin drip tip with reduced bore

- USB cable for charging on the go or firmware upgrades

- Instruction manual

- Available in gold, black, white/pink, blue, red, green camo, rainbow

T8PUnqn.jpg

UjwOjS2.jpg

MOD OVERVIEW

Like I said up top, this device comes with styling based on the Marvel superhero Captain America. The fire button looks like his shield and the patterns on the front, sides, and back of the device are full of stars. The way they installed these designs is a bit different. The front and sides have a clear plastic material overtop of a “stamped” metallic film. This gives them a cool look, but also is smooth to the touch. My sample has one edge of this plastic that is not pressed down on the way and is very annoying, but I am hoping they improve this on future devices as it works great if executed properly. The size of the device is very small. I have a picture below of it side by side with an Asmodus Minikin V2 which is also quite small for a 2-battery device. Like the Minkin, the 510 pin is moved toward the screen side of the device. This limits the maximum atomizer down to 25mm without overhang. It feels good in the hand and is very portable and light. They get a big pro for ergonomics on this one. The batteries are installed via a bottom hinging battery door. While the door has not just popped open on me randomly, but it doesn’t feel overly secure and the hinge is sloppy. One of the other features that I haven’t touched on yet is the display. They installed the same 1.3” display as seen on the Super Bat mod and all of the operations are essentially the same. Let’s get to that next.

KnqFthq.jpg

mXAndVF.jpg

nzJcRzZ.jpg

iMd7Pjk.jpg

9T97kS6.jpg

OPERATION

The screen on this mod is nice and large. It allows the user to see everything he/she needs to for setup. I will do a quick run down of the button combinations and then hit the menu.

BUTTON COMBOS

- 5 clicks of the fire button to turn the device on and off (startup menu seems like an eternity)

- Fire button and up button changes the preheat settings in smart mode and changes coil material when in temp control.

- Holding both up and down together locks the device. This also locks firing of the device.

- 3 clicks of the fire button will enter the menu

- BELOW IS A RUN DOWN OF THE MAIN MENU

sWSFaOm.jpg

MENU SYSTEM

- Mode

- Smart mode is basically wattage mode with selectable preheat settings from soft, normal, hard, and auto.

- VW mode is wattage mode with no preheats

- TC mode is temperature control which works with SS, Ni, Ti, Nicr, and 3 Memory slots

- CCW mode is wattage curve mode

- CCT mode is temperature curve mode

- Bypass mode is direct voltage from the batteries to the coil

1KT2jc3.jpg

- SETTING

- System setting shows the device info and has a spot for factory reset

- Mode setting allows the user to set up the curves for wattage and temperature as well as setting up the temp control memory settings. This would also be where you can fine tune the TCR settings.

- Vape time is for setting the maximum vape time

- Sleep time is for setting screen off timers and device off timers which start once the device is idle

- Puff manager shows how much time the device has been vaped and shows a puff counter

- Language is for setting the device to English, French, German, or Russian

- Display function – When the screen is idle it goes into a screensaver mode. The screen savers are the Heroes logo and “smooth tech logo. The Heroes logo to me is very cool and I wouldn’t mind seeing that on there, but it cycles between them and I don’t dig that.

lfXZ1JU.jpg

- THEME

- Theme 1 is blue

- Theme 2 is red

There you have it, that has been the run down on menu navigation and all the settings that the Capt’n has. This functions the same as the Super Bat, so if you liked how that device operated but are a bit more into the style of this device then I would say it would be a hit for you. The menu system is easy to navigate, and everything is spelled out very clearly. Now that it is all set up, let’s see how it vapes!

HOW IT VAPES

This is always the million-dollar question when it comes to devices. I have always felt that Vaptio has had some decent chip sets for all types of vaping. This handles wattage modes perfectly and has a very fast ramp up time. Temperature control seems to be very on point, even though that isn’t my expertise. I did some tests with stainless steel wire and the vape in TC is very smooth, and you can feel it taper down as the cotton starts to dry out. It didn’t taper down enough to avoid a burnt it, but it wasn’t that badly burned. There are so many ways to set this up that it can cater to all types of vapors out there. The smart mode is simple for beginners, yet it also has all the settings that many advanced vapors look for. Since this came as a kit, I will do a quick run down on the included Capt’n Tank next.

jBF9irF.jpg

CAPTAIN TANK REVIEW

The tank that comes with this device seems like a slightly updated version of the Frogman tank that Vaptio previously released. It uses the same Baby Beast style coil system and provides a similar vape. As far as cons go, I just don’t like the flavor that their coils put out. They have a weird taste that I can’t get out of them, and it is the same for every Vaptio coil. I just started noticing this now but looking back on previous stuff I reviewed I remember this flavor as well. Another con is coil life. It took no time for me to burn up these coils. They seem to be very close to Smok’s baby beast coils and they struggle to perform after 15 mls or so with some sweeter juice that I have tested. As for looks, I do like what they did with it. It matches the mods and makes the kit look complete. The top fill is a typical screw cap with two kidney shaped refill ports. No funky top seals or gaskets like Vaptio has done on several other tanks. One of the bigger cons is that the drip tip is the type where their own style slides over the top so you are stuck using their two tip options. The Capt’n tank is average at best and I am looking forward to testing their Paragon tank which is releasing in a new version of this kit coming soon.

TANK PROS

- Matches device

- Coils are compatible with other baby beast style coils

- Top fill threading is smooth

TANK CONS

- Average flavor, way behind mesh tanks

- Coil life is a struggle

- Odd flavor in coils that takes a while to burn out

- Drip tip is proprietary

liGT6Cs.jpg

CONTINUED BELOW

Last edited:

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
FINAL THOUGHTS

The Capt’n kit overall is not a bad setup. I like how small the form factor is, and I even like the Captain America theme going on. The performance is great for a budget friendly device and is great for beginner vapors. The display is great for seeing everything needed and has a simple menu system. One other pro is the color selection. They have one for just about everybody, which is always a bonus. With any device though, there are some cons. I think the biggest con comes down to quality. This one just feels cheaper than Vaptio mods of the past. The adjustment buttons are like half-built into the face of the mod and don’t appear “finished”. The fire button rattles like crazy, and it also is a hot spot when vaping. The battery door seems rather cheap and could be a point of failure in the future. The biggest con must be the clear wrap on the back and front. Mine came partially peeled off, and I fear that this could happen a lot over time. If they perfect this, it would be fine. So, you heard the pros, you heard the cons, but do I suggest it? I am leaning a little more towards no on this, and it is a decline in quality from Vaptio. I really liked the N1, Wallcrawler, and the Super Bat. Those all felt sturdy, but this just doesn’t and that’s what makes it a pass for me.

PROS

- Styling looks cool in my opinion

- Performance is good

- Screen and menu system are great

- Low price point

- Ergonomic

- Compact

CONS

- Included tank is meh

- Fire button rattles

- Battery door seems cheap

- Clear wrap around the mod peeling away

- Front buttons look cheap and unfinished

Thank you all for reading and thank you to Vaptio for sending me this device to review! I am seeing this popping up on the internet for about $60-80 but expect to see them more available very soon. Here are some links for where to buy.

https://www.heavengifts.com/product/Vaptio-Captn-MOD.html

https://vaptio.com/catalogue/captn-220w-kit_1499/

https://www.elegomall.com/product/vaptio-captain-kit-200w.html

Pizza Dave – Delivering real reviews, with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

VU Sponsors